That buzz you hear is all about Darnold

jetrider

36 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Actually, I posted another article done at his house that showed a Bears helmet on his bedroom wall. Didn't see a Jets ball anywhere, will have to go back and look. Mike Francesa did an excellent interview with Sam where he answered all these questions. Do you have a link for the LA Times article or the part about the Jets ball?

I'll look for it, unfortunately I'm making a Birthday BBQ for my son-in- law, so if it takes me awhile, bare with me.  The writer also tweeted that info.

in the meantime, did you see this?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Trojets said:

I similarly feel betrayed by the Browns front office, and I was only attached to them for about 8 months... after it became apparent they would get #1 pick I was sure they would select Darnold with it, a confidence not at all alleviated during the off season. 

Dorsey is a jerk-off, he probably thought he was so clever throwing smokescreens left and right by sitting in the stands with Sam's parents during Pro Day and I knew from Darnold's face (which rarely changes) immediately after the Browns pick that he and his support were being fed complete horse sh*t during the interviews and dinners.

I think Baker is decent QB, but what was it all for? All the misdirections and two 1-15 seasons to get a Nick Foles? I understand maybe Josh Rosen or Saquon, who are ready-to-go transformational player-makers on the level of Sam, but the Browns played so many games with the #1 pick just to select a short, mildly athletic, game manager QB, who will sit behind Tyrod for 2 seasons?  

Whatever, for selfish reasons I'd much rather take a weekend trip to NYC than Cleveland to watch my favorite player. Just felt bad for Sam immediately after the draft, but I think the experience made him additionally grateful to have a coaching staff and fan-base that are equally grateful to have him.

Christopher Johnson's words to him during the draft call were exactly what Sam and faithful USC fans needed to hear, even if it took a few days to sink in.

Browns really did darnold a favor by not ruining his career by making him play for the worst franchise in all of sports. 

8 hours ago, Trojets said:

I similarly feel betrayed by the Browns front office, and I was only attached to them for about 8 months... after it became apparent they would get #1 pick I was sure they would select Darnold with it, a confidence not at all alleviated during the off season. 

Dorsey is a jerk-off, he probably thought he was so clever throwing smokescreens left and right by sitting in the stands with Sam's parents during Pro Day and I knew from Darnold's face (which rarely changes) immediately after the Browns pick that he and his support were being fed complete horse sh*t during the interviews and dinners.

I think Baker is decent QB, but what was it all for? All the misdirections and two 1-15 seasons to get a Nick Foles? I understand maybe Josh Rosen or Saquon, who are ready-to-go transformational player-makers on the level of Sam, but the Browns played so many games with the #1 pick just to select a short, mildly athletic, game manager QB, who will sit behind Tyrod for 2 seasons?  

Whatever, for selfish reasons I'd much rather take a weekend trip to NYC than Cleveland to watch my favorite player. Just felt bad for Sam immediately after the draft, but I think the experience made him additionally grateful to have a coaching staff and fan-base that are equally grateful to have him.

Christopher Johnson's words to him during the draft call were exactly what Sam and faithful USC fans needed to hear, even if it took a few days to sink in.

As bad as the Jets can be, they're not the Browns, so be thankful of that and happy for Sam haha. And also, seems Dorsey and the Browns were indeed into Sam until they talked to Baker who apparently charmed their pants off. Their loss.

2 hours ago, jetrider said:

Darnold wasn't an option on most polls cause he wasn't a realistic pick at 6 or 3.

I work with Marvell Tell's mom. Last season I tried to get Sam's favorite NFL team or where he hoped to go but she kept saying, "We really don't know." Thought she was afraid to leak anything but it turns out Sam didn't follow the NFL. USC was his fave team. To me that's the single most disturbing thing about Darnold. Forget the turnovers, his football interest ended at the college level. That's hard to comprehend. The OC beach bubble he grew up in is like another planet. With no interest in campus life or the LA party scene, Sam was a programmed football machine that didn't follow the NFL. Very odd. I think the savior stuff might be real, like there's divine intervention happening with this kid ... lol

Did you say something about Divine Intervention.....

prayer GIF

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

Oh god that's right! Parcells traded out of the 1st pick and passed on Orlando Pace! Also Walter Jones, two of the best olineman ever, lol! 

Good job shopping for those groceries Bill, lol. He was a great coach & he did turn us around, but he did nothing for the longer term future of the team. And him refusing to guarantee Archie he would draft Payton & then trading out of the #1 spot and drafting James Farrior? Rick Terry? Omfg, what a f*cking major blunder. Absolutely right up there with the dumb mistakes in the draft that have plagued this franchise for years. 

That mistake & not just stepping away so Belichick could take over had a 20 year ramification with him at the helm of New England. So Parcells decisions probably cost the Jets Payton Manning & Bill Belichick. Makes you wonder if Parcells was even worth it regarding the history of our franchise & what we also gave up in draft picks to New England to get him here. 

100% spot on

On 6/15/2018 at 9:26 AM, Bruce Harper said:

I've been thinking about what a pass the Giants have gotten for their terrible mistake.  The Jets would have been absolutely killed by the press if the roles were reversed. At best, the Giants are going to look like tools in six years when Barkley starts to lose a step and the Jets' 27 yr old QB is just entering his prime.  

How about we wait till these guys take at least 1 nfl snap before we annoint darnold and crush the giants.

Hell, we both could make out well here.  Maybe the giants win a super bowl or 2 the next few years w/ Barkley leading the way.  And Darnold becomes a frsnchise qb and gets us a super bowl or two down the road.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

How about we wait till these guys take at least 1 nfl snap before we annoint darnold and crush the giants.

Hell, we both could make out well here.  Maybe the giants win a super bowl or 2 the next few years w/ Barkley leading the way.  And Darnold becomes a frsnchise qb and gets us a super bowl or two down the road.

IMO, The Giants are not a great RB away from winning another. Eli will further decline this year and was never great to begin with. Huge mistake not getting a potential franchise QB when by most accounts there were 3 and possibly 4 coming out. 

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

IMO, The Giants are not a great RB away from winning another. Eli will further decline this year and was never great to begin with. Huge mistake not getting a potential franchise QB when by most accounts there were 3 and possibly 4 coming out. 

Duh - and the Jets were right there to take advantage of their poor evaluation of the current roster and the future.

When you think of Luck, Goff, Wentz and other young QB’s who carry their team on their backs..you think of the next generation of top 10 QB’s. The new faces of the NFL.

Sam Darnold ceiling? Well that is right there in that future top 10.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agreed that if the Giants win in one of Eli's last years they can justify the pick.  But it seems to me a longshot.  And if he doesn't turn out to be one of the best in the league, Darnold has an excellent chance to be at least a franchise quarterback.  He would have been a better pick for them, IMHO.

6 hours ago, jetrider said:

Actually, I posted another article done at his house that showed a Bears helmet on his bedroom wall. Didn't see a Jets ball anywhere, will have to go back and look. Mike Francesa did an excellent interview with Sam where he answered all these questions. Do you have a link for the LA Times article or the part about the Jets ball?

Zach Helfand, I found the tweet.

Just now, jetrider said:

That's the same story I posted early May with the Bears helmet image on the wall:

Where is the Jets ball? I imagine he was rooting for Sanchez? I'd like to see the Jets ball tweet ...

Did you read the tweet above by Zach? He states he would leave the Jets ball out of the story.

3 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Did you read the tweet above by Zach? He states he would leave the Jets ball out of the story.

Yeah! Just saw it. Thanks

Too bad you weren't here before the draft ... though you had no reason to be.

4 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Yeah! Just saw it. Thanks

Too bad you weren't here before the draft ... though you had no reason to be.

I lurked on the board, because of Leo, who I love. Then you drafted Sammy.  

I'm actually a big defense lover kinda gal, lol.

The Great Ronnie Lott, Junior Seau and Troy  Polamalu (used to tailgate right next to his aunt and uncle) are some of my all time favorites.  I have some good stories!

31 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I lurked on the board, because of Leo, who I love. Then you drafted Sammy.  

I'm actually a big defense lover kinda gal, lol.

The Great Ronnie Lott, Junior Seau and Troy  Polamalu (used to tailgate right next to his aunt and uncle) are some of my all time favorites.  I have some good stories!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and stories with us now!  As you can tell, this is an exciting time for us here (I've never seen such unbridled hope in my 40 years as a Jets fan) and its obvious that I'm not the only one really enjoying your insights.  Please stick around and enjoy the ride with us!

The period between the draft and week 1 is always the best time of the season for jets fans. Let’s hope the optimism carries over to actual football this time! I’m feeling more optimistic than ever—jinx?

18 hours ago, billo83 said:

Where is the Giants pass rush coming from? It was terrible last year & without JPP it will be worse in 2018. Solder is 30 years old, 30! He has had back problems in the past & instead of playing against the pass rushless, Jets & Bills, Miami actually knocked Brady around pretty good last year, he'll be facing the Eagles defense TWICE, and they added Bennett. The NFC has the defending champ Eagles, who actually got better on defense, the Rams who added Suh, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Packers with Rogers back. 

So, anyone who thinks adding Barkley & a 30 year old LT has moved the 2-14 Giants into the upper echelon of those NFC teams I've mentioned hasn't been paying attention to the NFC. The Eagles will take the division, leaving the Giants to compete with all those teams above for a wildcard road game which they would be big underdogs on the road with. Vegas will have their odds & I will bet they are not good.

Sam would dip the live nest in salsa and eat it.

When I was a kid in NJ I had a wild raspberry stand during summer break. Every morning at sunrise I'd pick fresh berries for the day, pour them in berry crates and sell them on the highway. One morning as I was picking I reached into a bush and disturbed a yellow jacket nest. I was swarmed and stung all over my chest and back. They were inside my shirt. I yanked it off, threw it, and ran back to the house which was three houses up the road. When I got home I saw nobody was there, I was locked out. So I tried to push open a garage window when a wasp flew from behind a shutter and stung me on the neck. That was one f***ed morning I'll never forget. Was shaking from the stings. They're like gunshots.

23 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Sam would dip the live nest in salsa and eat it.

When I was a kid in NJ I had a wild raspberry stand during summer break. Every morning at sunrise I'd pick fresh berries for the day, pour them in berry crates and sell them on the highway. One morning as I was picking I reached into a bush and disturbed a yellow jacket nest. I was swarmed and stung all over my chest and back. They were inside my shirt. I yanked it off, threw it, and ran back to the house which was three houses up the road. When I got home I saw nobody was there, I was locked out. So I tried to push open a garage window when a wasp flew from behind a shutter and stung me on the neck. That was one f***ed morning I'll never forget. Was shaking from the stings. They're like gunshots.

Is it true?

22 hours ago, Jetster said:

Where is the Giants pass rush coming from? It was terrible last year & without JPP it will be worse in 2018. Solder is 30 years old, 30! He has had back problems in the past & instead of playing against the pass rushless, Jets & Bills, Miami actually knocked Brady around pretty good last year, he'll be facing the Eagles defense TWICE, and they added Bennett. The NFC has the defending champ Eagles, who actually got better on defense, the Rams who added Suh, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Packers with Rogers back. 

So, anyone who thinks adding Barkley & a 30 year old LT has moved the 2-14 Giants into the upper echelon of those NFC teams I've mentioned hasn't been paying attention to the NFC. The Eagles will take the division, leaving the Giants to compete with all those teams above for a wildcard road game which they would be big underdogs on the road with. Vegas will have their odds & I will bet they are not good.

The Rams went 4-12 in 2016.  They had no 1st round pick last year.  They added a 35 year old LT, let their top WR walk and added the WRs from the Bills 30th ranked passing attack.  A team is more than the sum of its parts. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Rams went 4-12 in 2016.  They had no 1st round pick last year.  They added a 35 year old LT, let their top WR walk and added the WRs from the Bills 30th ranked passing attack.  A team is more than the sum of its parts. 

They also jettisoned their out of touch dinosaur HC who had exemplified mediocrity and brought it one of the most exciting young offensive minds in the game to save their 1st overall pick QB who went from looking like a lost cause in 2016 to looking like a Pro Bowler in 2017... So that's kind of the exception rather than the rule.

I suppose it's possible that McAdoo was an utter buffoon (although nobody seemed to think so in 2016 when the team was in the playoffs) and Schurmur is a genius (even though he looked anything but in Cleveland) buy my guess is no coach is turning back the clock on Eli.

Archived