Around the NFL - Preseason Week 1

Joe W. Namath

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

For those who remember RB Ballage, he's putting down some good tape in MIA. Had an untimely fumble on a hurdle but he'll be stealing snaps soon me thinks. Drake has 20% of staying healthy for 16 games.

Shhhh he's my fantasy deep sleeper. 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

And we can all laugh at the Giants for passing on a QB at #2.

Yep.  Even if Saquon works out, it was a bad pick.  Franchise QB's last for 10+ years.  Draft a RB high, and even if he pays dividends, you end up with him demanding a mega-contract at the tail end of his rookie deal, and find yourself having to weigh the cost-benefit analysis of paying a premium for the most injury-prone position in the game. 

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

No one is looking at who wins. It’s just seeing how individuals perform.

I understand that, but it's not like these QBs are playing a full game against first string defenses that have game planned to make life hell for a young QB.

the real test is a regular season game and they have a 300lb defensive lineman closing in on you.  

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

All the QB’s looked pretty decent.

It's very, VERY early but it's also not hard to see the possibility that this QB class rivals or even surpasses that 1983 group.  Wouldn't surprise me if there's an Elway, Kelly, Marino, O'Brien out of these guys.

I find myself hoping that Mayfield won't be good, since we were supposed to get him and I don't want to get burned. On the other hand, Big Ben, Manning (never liked him) and Rivers all turned out pretty good, so maybe Mayfield being good doesn't mean Darnold won't be. And it is this thought process that gets me through the day.

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Seeing the Jaguars new uniforms in person tonight actually has me excited for ours.  I really like what their team and Nike designed. Simple. Clean.  Pays homage to the past, but still modern:

IMG_20180809_232653.jpgIMG_20180809_232708.jpgIMG_20180809_232413.jpg

But..... dude the new titans unis are awful. Let’s hope we don’t get their design team. Helmet looks like a bowling ball. Shoulders 2 tone gray yuk and the worst.... the font for their numbers looks awful too. 

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Definitely not @Jetster  I'll be serving him crow from now till i'm 6 feet under

So everyone is anointing Mayfield the next Brees playing the NY Giants defense with no top CBs, no pass rush in a preseason game....ok.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Even if Saquon works out, it was a bad pick.  Franchise QB's last for 10+ years.  Draft a RB high, and even if he pays dividends, you end up with him demanding a mega-contract at the tail end of his rookie deal, and find yourself having to weigh the cost-benefit analysis of paying a premium for the most injury-prone position in the game. 

Bigger problem is a great back doesnt win more games than a good back.  AP, Sanders, the list is long that didnt win.  QB is a necessity and harder to find

Baker looked great...but it's still PRESEASON! I never said I didn't think he'd be a good QB, I liked the fact that Sam was a bigger more prototype QB in size. Longevity means something in the NFL. Baker hasn't been hit yet. 

Paradis...talk to me 3 years from now. I think your a bit premature in your assessment of the #1 pick based on the 1st preseason game. Just remember, Browning Nagle was anointed the next Joe Namath after a preseason game, lol.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

But..... dude the new titans unis are awful. Let’s hope we don’t get their design team. Helmet looks like a bowling ball. Shoulders 2 tone gray yuk and the worst.... the font for their numbers looks awful too. 

The exact opposite of how I feel. The Titans looked great on screen and the Jags looked like there wearing practice jerseys.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

yeah Nike refuses to do the normal block numbers which generally looks bad and collegey.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Really? Man, I'm the total opposite on this. I think they're pretty awesome. I think the dark helmets are way better. The numbers, meh, but kinda works for their team. 

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The exact opposite of how I feel. The Titans looked great on screen and the Jags looked like there wearing practice jerseys.

the jags is just a classic uni look to me, i like it better than their last uni, but I'm not a huge fan of it. 

titans - i mean i know people see things different i live in Nashville and its 50/50 and most people that say they like it is "well its my team I have to like it" 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Really? Man, I'm the total opposite on this. I think they're pretty awesome. I think the dark helmets are way better. The numbers, meh, but kinda works for their team. 

its cool, as i said in the post directly above this. that helmet being dark isn't really the issue. To me it is how that helmet doesn't really have much of a separation and from side or back it looks like a rental bowling ball to me. also they should have changed the logo and used their secondary instead of the flaming thumbtack but.... like i said i live here so i see and hear all the complaints about it.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I tend to agree with you.  Picking Barkley means the Giants have gone all in for one last run under Eli.  The only way this is a good pick is if  they win a title.  I don't see it happening, especially given the strength of the NFC.  An awful lot of good teams in that Conference and the Giants would have a long way to go from last year to be in the discussion with the Eagles, Vikings, Packers, Rams, Saints, etc.

6 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I find myself hoping that Mayfield won't be good, since we were supposed to get him and I don't want to get burned. On the other hand, Big Ben, Manning (never liked him) and Rivers all turned out pretty good, so maybe Mayfield being good doesn't mean Darnold won't be. And it is this thought process that gets me through the day.

I hear you. Baker was my favorite QB in the draft. But I’m completely sold on Darnold. Baker has more experience. So he may look better earlier in his career. But I think Darnold’s peak will be higher and last longer. 

I think this will be viewed as the best draft class from a volume perspective. Could see 6 at least decent starters in this class. I don’t think it’ll match 3 HoF and a Pro Bowler though. 

6 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Honestly the league needs all these QBs just drafted to be at a minimum watchable. NFLis dying because only 1/3 of the teams have QBs you can tolerate watching. 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's very, VERY early but it's also not hard to see the possibility that this QB class rivals or even surpasses that 1983 group.  Would surprise me if there's an Elway, Kelly, Marino, O'Brien out of these guys.

Elway HOF,Kelly HOF,Marino HOF Kenny O in that group?? I think not..:wacko:

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly the league needs all these QBs just drafted to be at a minimum watchable. NFLis dying because only 1/3 of the teams have QBs you can tolerate watching. 

What is kinda scary for them is most of your good QBs are 34-40

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

What is kinda scary for them is most of your good QBs are 34-40

That's why its so exciting to be a Jet fan. You find a franchise QB NOW, you could be in the tournament EVERY DAMN YEAR, like the Pats, or Steelers, ect. 

18 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's why its so exciting to be a Jet fan. You find a franchise QB NOW, you could be in the tournament EVERY DAMN YEAR, like the Pats, or Steelers, ect. 

With the rules in place, and medical tech where it is, a 21 year old QB can be on a team for 15-20 years.  

It's also important to remember most do not become really productive until age 26, 27.   But I agree, it's exciting.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

With the rules in place, and medical tech where it is, a 21 year old QB can be on a team for 15-20 years.  

It's also important to remember most do not become really productive until age 26, 27.   But I agree, it's exciting.

Especially in this division. I live in New England & watched the Pats last night. Put aside that Brady & Gronk didn't play, the Skins offense ABUSED the Pats defense with Colt McCoy playing QB, ABUSED THEM.

This morning on local news, Belichick was asked if there was anything good that came from last nights game, he said, "maybe 30 seconds of good football".....Ouch. 

I think there is a rift within the organization, the Dolphins suck & the Bills are rebuilding along with us, but I believe Darnold will be the more efficient QB & Allen will be like a splash QB, we'll see. We really have a good chance of finally dominating the division, and the Jets have never dominated the AFC East, the Fins, Bills & Pats have at different stages.

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I hear what you are saying but I wouldn’t classify the NFL as dying. They made $14 billion in revenue last year (a record) or $1 billion more than the year prior. This is $4.5 billion more than the next closest league.

All the hoopla about ratings has more to do with people watching the nfl in ways the Nielsen ratings don’t capture. Streaming services are an example. This may ultimately impact the nfl tv deal when it gets renegotiated. But it has nothing to do with the popularity of the sport. Instead it has more to do with people unplugging from cable or standard ways of viewing tv.

On that 3rd and 18 pass conversion, Mayfield threw that pass to C.J. Board, a guy who was a 2017 undrafted rookie free agent currently on his 3rd team (Ravens, Titans, Browns). And his rushing game was 2nd round pick Nick Chubb, who rushed 15 times for 11 yards. Mayfield had to carry the offense given the lack of rushing, but he made players around him better, such as a UDRFA who's on his 3rd team in 12 months. 

Good debut from the 1st overall pick. 

Archived