NFL Transactions

C Mart

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo)

9/2/18, 2:34 PM

QB Christian Hackenberg is signing with the #Bengals practice squad, source says. He goes way back with Bill Lazor and has some experience with Jim Haslett, who was a consultant at Penn State in 2015.

In a QB needy league, this guy keeps getting paid. He's truly awful.

You'd prefer a baseball situation where teams buy championships ... Or the NBA where players collude for championships ???

The next CBA should outright bury the salary cap. It’s ruining the sport. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bengals Signing QB Christian Hackenberg To Practice Squad http://bit.ly/2wzTvLi 

DmHBZuLUYAA4pw1.jpg

Have to admit I'm kind of stunned he made it to even a PS after that pathetic performance he had w/ the Eagles against us.  Goes to show how QB-needy the NFL is (at least depth-wise).

15 hours ago, KRL said:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2h2 hours ago

More

The #Bears are releasing former starting C Hroniss Grasu, source said, a bit of a surprise. The former third rounder should find work quickly

I wonder if this has anything to do w/ Khalil Mack's salary.  Maybe Grasu became a luxury?

(note that I've never even heard of this guy but if they're saying he should "find work quickly" then I'm assuming he has some ability).

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wonder if this has anything to do w/ Khalil Mack's salary.  Maybe Grasu became a luxury?

(note that I've never even heard of this guy but if they're saying he should "find work quickly" then I'm assuming he has some ability).

I read he had quite the litany of injuries ... couldn't stay healthy long enough to get on the field.

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

May have more to do with them drafting James Daniels in the 2nd round.  I assume Daniels won the starting job and Grasu became expendable.

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Injury issues. Can’t play OG. Bears have Cody Whitehair and Daniels 

22 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jets passed

NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate)

9/3/18, 4:44 PM

#Bucs claimed former #Browns DE/financial advisor Carl Nassib off of waivers.

Would rather have Nate Orchard. Better fit as an OLB. No dud financial advice. Great cookies.

Another white receiver?  They are shameless.  Why don't they just slap a confederate flag on the helmet?

Seriously how do they explain themselves? Burkhead, woodhead, james white () amandola, welker, Hogan, Hansen decker

Surprised Jordy didn’t end up there. Too overt to have him and Hogan lining up next to each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this would apply to all teams this week.....via the athletic

An inside look at how the Giants’ newest players are getting ready for a game just days after signing with the team

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — An important delivery arrived at new Giants safety Kamrin Moore’s locker after Friday’s practice: His helmet.

An undrafted free agent out of Boston College, Moore wore a Riddell Precision-Fit helmet with the Saints all offseason. But Moore was without the helmet this week after being waived by the Saints last Saturday and getting claimed by the Giants on Sunday.

The Saints shipped Moore’s helmet to Riddell so it could be repainted in the Giants’ colors. Moore wore a standard-issue helmet during his first practices with the Giants as he waited for his custom helmet to arrive.

Meanwhile, linebacker Nate Stupar was a few stalls down scrambling around the locker room on Friday afternoon. Stupar, who was signed by the Giants on Tuesday after getting cut by the Saints, had to get in uniform for the in-house promotional photos the rest of the players took during training camp. Then, he had to get a baseline concussion test, which will be used as a point of comparison if he suffers a head injury this season.

Moore and Stupar are among a group of eight players the Giants have signed since Sunday. Those players have had less than a week and just three practices to prepare for Sunday’s season opener against the Jaguars.

“It’s a rough little time,” said offensive lineman Spencer Pulley, who was claimed by the Giants on Sunday after he was waived by the Chargers on Saturday. “You find out you’re getting cut and then you’re kind of sitting there unemployed not knowing what’s going to happen next. You could be on the plane across the country the next day or not have a job. So it’s kind of an uneasy time, but I found out I was coming here and it was awesome.”

Within hours of learning he was heading to the Giants, Pulley was on a flight from Los Angeles to New Jersey. He landed in the “wee hours” on Monday morning, went to his hotel for a quick nap and then was on the practice field with his new team on Monday morning.

Coach Pat Shurmur started installing his playbook in the spring during offseason practices. Most of the players have had months to gradually absorb the concepts and terminology. But the new additions have less than a week to cram as much as possible.

“It’s a challenge, for sure,” said Pulley, who started 16 games at center for the Chargers last season. “Anybody that will listen, I’m asking questions to. It’s definitely a lot of sitting in the film room and watching. Then you’ll sit there and be like, ‘OK, I get it,’ and then be like, ‘Wait, what is this?’ Then you go ask.”

Veteran offensive lineman John Greco signed with the Giants during Week 11 last season after six seasons with the Browns. He didn’t play on offense until Week 14, but he said it only took a week to feel comfortable with the new playbook.

“Schematically, I knew the offense right away,” Greco said. “Everybody runs pretty much similar things. It’s just that everybody calls something a different thing. What I did, and I even had to do this in Cleveland when we changed head coaches, you just have to say, ‘OK, we’re calling it James Right this time and I used to call it Jones Right.’ You just make yourself flashcards or something and what you used to call it is what it is now and that’s kind of what helped me remember it.”

Odds are that none of the new players will have a major role on Sunday. But the Giants have already ruled out linebackers Olivier Vernon (ankle) and Tae Davis (hamstring), and it’s unlikely that third-string quarterback Kyle Lauletta will dress for the game. That means at least four of the new players will be active on Sunday.

Stupar, a sixth-year veteran, should have a role on special teams immediately, Mario Edwards and/or John Jenkins will be in the defensive line rotation and Kaelin Clay is listed as the top punt returner on the depth chart.

Roles can expand unexpectedly on gameday, as Giants safety Michael Thomas learned in 2013. The Dolphins signed Thomas off the 49ers’ practice squad on Dec. 10 and he was active for Miami’s game against the Patriots five days later. Thomas was only expected to play on special teams in his NFL debut, but injuries to the Dolphins’ top two cornerbacks had a trickle-down effect that thrust him into the nickel position he had played in college.

Thomas intercepted a pass by Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in the end zone with two seconds remaining to seal a 24-20 Dolphins win.

“I knew only one new coverage and how they played it, but for the most part I was using techniques and stuff that I just knew how to play football,” Thomas said. “Reshad Jones was the safety and Chris Clemons was the other safety. They’d tell me, ‘This is Cover-1, this is Cover-2, this is Cover-4.’ I know how to play ‘Quarters Flat,’ I know how to cover my man. So it was taking the basic information and applying it to how I knew how to play football. You can communicate, talk with them and try to help them out, but for the most part, at the end of the day it’s, ‘You know how to play football. Let’s go ball.’ ”

Thomas half-jokes that former Dolphins and current Giants defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo didn’t know his name before the interception. Thomas met with the Dolphins’ assistant defensive backs coach at 6:30 in the morning before the rest of the team arrived and then for another hour at the end of the day during his first week. The new Giants have adopted a similar schedule.

“They’re pretty long days, but that’s what they pay you for,” Clay said. “I want to get on the field so whatever it takes, I’m willing to do it.”

The hardest part of the sudden adjustment has nothing to do with learning the playbook. All of the new players had been with their former teams for at least a few months this offseason. In an instant, they had to pick up and move to New Jersey. The players haven’t had time to go house-hunting, so they’re living in a hotel for now. Their wives and children remain at their last stop to pack and get things in order for a move.

“Obviously, the No. 1 thing is to learn the new language of the new offense you’re trying to run,” Greco said of his transition last year. “Then it’s, ‘How am I getting to and from work? Where am I living? What time do I have to be there?’ Anytime you’re used to a routine and you get knocked out of it, you try to establish a new one. ‘What’s the traffic like? Where am I going? How do I get there?’ It’s a little bit of juggling but you just leave yourself some extra time and you ask a lot of questions.”

The new players say the Giants’ support staff is helpful with off-field matters and coaches and teammates have been gracious with playbook assistance. But once the ball is kicked off on Sunday, players know that no one is going to feel sorry for them if they aren’t ready to play.

“There’s a lot going on, but at the end of the day, no one cares and it’s not going to be an excuse,” Greco said. “So you’ve just got to do everything you can to try to hit the ground running as fast as you can.”

On 9/3/2018 at 7:10 PM, RoadFan said:

Another white receiver?  They are shameless.  Why don't they just slap a confederate flag on the helmet?

On 9/6/2018 at 4:06 PM, Paradis said:

Seriously how do they explain themselves? Burkhead, woodhead, james white (emoji23.png) amandola, welker, Hogan, Hansen decker

Surprised Jordy didn’t end up there. Too overt to have him and Hogan lining up next to each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm old enough to remember when most of the league's receivers were white.

Maybe  the Patriots are striving to be the NFL version of the Lawrence Welk show.

Archived