NFL Transactions

C Mart

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Schneidman‏ @mattschneidman

Raiders waiving DE Shilique Calhoun, per source.

On April 29, 2016, Calhoun was drafted in the third round (75th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. On May 17, 2016, it was announced that Calhoun would wear number 91, formerly held by Justin Tuck. On June 17, 2016, Calhoun signed with the Oakland Raiders. He played in 10 games as a rookie recording nine tackles and a pass defensed before being placed on injured reserve on December 23, 2016.

On September 2, 2017, Calhoun was waived by the Raiders and was signed to the practice squad the next day. He was promoted to the active roster on October 14, 2017.

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Jersey Kid

2016 Draft 3rd round:  Bronson Kaufusi went 7th and Calhoun went 12th 

Shilique Calhoun worked out as LB by 49ers, DL by Jets

Representatives from all 32 NFL teams -- including Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigsonand Miami Dolphins general manager Chris Grier -- were present for Michigan State's pro day on Wednesday.

A total of 19 players worked out indoors and on FieldTurf.

Defensive end Shilique Calhoun -- 6-foot-4 1/2, 250 pounds -- did the three-cone drill in 7.13 seconds and stood on the rest of his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine. Calhoun worked out in space as a linebacker by a San Francisco 49ers assistant coach, and worked out in defensive lineman drills by a New York Jets assistant coach.

Defensive tackle Lawrence Thomas -- 6-3 5/8, 294 -- did the short shuttle in 4.45 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.55 seconds. He also performed 24 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. The Jets' assistant coach also worked out Thomas in the positional drills.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645113/article/shilique-calhoun-worked-out-as-lb-by-49ers-dl-by-jets

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

2016 Draft 3rd round:  Bronson Kaufusi went 7th and Calhoun went 12th 

Shilique Calhoun worked out as LB by 49ers, DL by Jets

Representatives from all 32 NFL teams -- including Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigsonand Miami Dolphins general manager Chris Grier -- were present for Michigan State's pro day on Wednesday.

A total of 19 players worked out indoors and on FieldTurf.

Defensive end Shilique Calhoun -- 6-foot-4 1/2, 250 pounds -- did the three-cone drill in 7.13 seconds and stood on the rest of his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine. Calhoun worked out in space as a linebacker by a San Francisco 49ers assistant coach, and worked out in defensive lineman drills by a New York Jets assistant coach.

Defensive tackle Lawrence Thomas -- 6-3 5/8, 294 -- did the short shuttle in 4.45 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.55 seconds. He also performed 24 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. The Jets' assistant coach also worked out Thomas in the positional drills.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645113/article/shilique-calhoun-worked-out-as-lb-by-49ers-dl-by-jets

I'd rather keep Kaufusi

WEAKNESSES

Missing aggressive, nasty play demeanor at point of attack. Showed too much respect to blockers rather than playing through them with aggression. Gets caught up in slap-fighting rather than dominating with hand strength. Can improve feel for when to use power and when to use finesse as a rusher. Flagged for nine encroachment penalties this year. Needs to play faster. Play strength doesn't match his frame. Won't often whip a base block and gives in too easily to double team coming from tight end. Wasn't a factor in the opposing team's backfield in 2015.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 3 or 4

NFL COMPARISON

Andre Branch

BOTTOM LINE

Calhoun's career could go one of two ways -- he'll become more aggressive and improve his hand usage which will unlock his full potential as an NFL defensive end OR he will become a decent NFL starter who doesn't have the upfield burst to win up the field as a pass rusher and isn't strong enough to hold up at the point of attack. Calhoun may need to become tougher against the run before he is handed a starter's position, but the skill­set is there if he can unlock it.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Patriots Working Out WR Jeremy Kerley http://bit.ly/2zwJHE3 

DoDGP6lUwAAi7LE.jpg
1 reply6 retweets13 likes

The Pats are desperate at WR. They have got to find WR's who actually are viable weapons so teams won't double team Gronk.

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Released? Or, did he just storm out disgruntedly? 

Rishard Matthews apparently has had enough.

The veteran wide receiver told A to Z Sports on Wednesday that he has reached an agreement with the Tennessee Titans for his release.

"I've been the leading receiver [on the Titans] for two years. Then all of a sudden I'm barely playing and not even starting," Matthews added. "Using my injury as the scapegoat. Look at number of snaps and targets."

Earlier Wednesday, Matthews posted on Instagram: "Daddy is home for good until someone calls him to get off the couch."

17 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’ll be 29 in 2 weeks and not part of the future. Kearse fills that role if anyone. Pass. 

So, he is almost as old as Terrelle Pryor?  Kearse is only a few months younger.  He is not under contract and has had a worse career, playing with better QBs IMO.  I am not a big advocate of getting this guy because I also want more youth, athleticism and versatility.  

48 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, he is almost as old as Terrelle Pryor?  Kearse is only a few months younger.  He is not under contract and has had a worse career, playing with better QBs IMO.  I am not a big advocate of getting this guy because I also want more youth, athleticism and versatility.  

I agree. Pryor and Kearse are getting up there in age and Matthews would be redundant. I’d rather Sam focus more on who will actually be here. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2018 at 4:53 PM, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree. Pryor and Kearse are getting up there in age and Matthews would be redundant. I’d rather Sam focus more on who will actually be here. 

Spot on. Matthews won't really alter what we already have.

A fifth round pick for a starting RB with 2 more years under contract at a very reasonable salary (about $4MM/season in 2019 and 2020).  He's 11th in the league in rushing yards with 5 TDs.  That seems like an absolute steal for the Jaguars.  But then again, it is the Browns we're discussing.  I can't believe there wasn't a team out there willing to offer more. 

And what does that mean for Mayfield who loses the best RB on the team?  They must really believe in Nick Chubb but we haven't seen anything yet to make it probable he can replace that production.

Browns doing Browns things...

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

A fifth round pick for a starting RB with 2 more years under contract at a very reasonable salary (about $4MM/season in 2019 and 2020).  He's 11th in the league in rushing yards with 5 TDs.  That seems like an absolute steal for the Jaguars.  But then again, it is the Browns we're discussing.  I can't believe there wasn't a team out there willing to offer more. 

And what does that mean for Mayfield who loses the best RB on the team?  They must really believe in Nick Chubb but we haven't seen anything yet to make it probable he can replace that production.

Browns doing Browns things...

Browns fans floating the theory that it's a power move by Dorsey to force the coaching staff to start Chubb.

16 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Browns fans floating the theory that it's a power move by Dorsey to force the coaching staff to start Chubb.

I have heard a bunch of this talk on the local sports shows, basically signaling the end of the Hue Jackson era - but Hyde was a Buckeye and looked good at key times this year, so reactions are mixed 

seems like a good trade for Jacksonville, surprised the Eagles were not in on that one

6 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I have heard a bunch of this talk on the local sports shows, basically signaling the end of the Hue Jackson era - but Hyde was a Buckeye and looked good at key times this year, so reactions are mixed 

seems like a good trade for Jacksonville, surprised the Eagles were not in on that one

There were pretty heavy rumors a week ago that Philly was going to bring Shady McCoy back. Haven't heard a peep about it recently, though.

Archived