2019 Head Coaching Candiates

GreenWhite

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I used to be against this idea, but I’d love to see a special teams coach be given a shot who has good leadership ability. I’m sick of the coordinator who comes in and focuses on one side of the ball and wants all the draft picks and attention on that side. We need a leader who can hire good smart coordinators in all three phases, and can set the tone for the team and the direction. All that said, we will have three more years of Bowles 

So Heimerdinger (Sr.).  Too bad he retired.  He's a guy I would think would have been an interesting HC candidate.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harbaugh's star has dimmed it seems. If you're looking to college for a replacement, start with Frost (if he looks good this year with new job) then look at Georgia, Oklahoma HC's. My first choice would be Dabo, but he wouldn't take to the whole NY thing most likely.

Simply this thread is a testament to the fact that Bowles should have been fired after last season. Guy adds nothing. No indication he's learned a damn thing about the clock, strategy nor balls. His defense has been mostly awful, and by design he'll have nothing to do with the offense. Really why is he here? 

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

I wouldn't mind if we gave shwartz a go. His defenses always seem golden everywhere he goes and would love to see what he could put together with our guys

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

If we are going to go with another defensive HC (that would be a shocker, huh?) Sign me up for this guy.

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Simply this thread is a testament to the fact that Bowles should have been fired after last season. Guy adds nothing. No indication he's learned a damn thing about the clock, strategy nor balls. His defense has been mostly awful, and by design he'll have nothing to do with the offense. Really why is he here? 

The biggest tell is that he rooted out all the supposed malcontents and they still racked up a million penalties in preseason.

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not whining.  Perhaps a bit anticipatory is all.

Look, I am on record that I don't believe Bowles is a good NFL HC.  I singled out the game where he took a knee with over a minute left in the first half and 2 time outs because he didn't feel like there was any point in trying to score (I think it was @BUF).  To me, that's not NFL HC mindset.  But there were countless other examples where, IMO, he didn't appear to understand clock management, or game situations, and certainly didn't seem to be able to control or motivate some of our more challenging personalities.  He also isn't squeezing lemonade out of our defense which is supposed to be why we hired him.  Apparently, he didn't learn everything Bruce Arians had to teach.  

Now flip it around.  What is Bowles really good at that we can build on?  I can't see anything.  Not a single thing he is above average it.

So we come to the start of the season.  Getting Darnold, who hopefully will shine, isn't going to make Bowles a better HC.  He may win more games but unless I see real signs that Bowles has grown as a HC (which I allow for the possibility of), I'm not going to be any more satisfied with him as our HC next year, which is to say, not at all.  I want the team to win every game this year, and I want Bowles to have 'the light go on' and become an effective HC.  But I don't expect it.  So if a compelling HC candidate were to surface at any time this season, barring an obvious turnaround in Bowles' abilities, I'm interested.

I'm not so sure how good a HC he is either.  Maybe you can file this under "I never learn", but I always am optimistic at the start of a new season. 

This season, I am hoping that Darnold improves as the season goes on and we finish in the 7 to 9 win area pulling an upset or two because Darnold has real ability at QB. Im looking toward 2019 for " true realistic championship contending" expectations. 

If we are really bad this year there will be ample time to discuss a change at HC, but in the week leading up to the start of a new season with a possible franchise QB, I would prefer to dwell on the positive. LOL

1 hour ago, GreenWhite said:

Let’s all assume that the team will stink again this year because of a rookie QB, below avg talent, and the worst HC in the NFL. 

Who do you want next year?

Candiates: 

Jim Harbaugh-Reports are coming out that he is on the hot seat after the loss to ND 

Todd Haley-If the Browns have a good year I think he could be an option

Jeremy Bates- If the offense performs well and Darnold likes him it could be a Lovie Smith/Dirk Kettering situation 

John DeFillipio-Jets seem to like him 

Honestly I would be happy with any of those guys if it means getting Todd Bowles the hell out of here. However

It's no secret I like Harbaugh and I like Haley as well but they are both nuts so can they deal with our Idiot owner soon to return from his ridiculous assignment overseas.

I always liked Mike Pettine as well I think he got a crap deal both here and in cleveland and I would not mind his defensive schemes at all with a good QB in the mix.

Is Kyle Shanahan a HC now ? if not hes a candidate as well 

28 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

He’s a skinnier Rex who can actually coach defense. But he is bat sh*t crazy and would be a bad fit imo with NY media

well how bat sh*t crazy is he really ...are we basing this off of his confrontation with Harbaugh who is also bat sh*t crazy :) 

I say bring all the bat sh*t right in here and hopefully their intensity rubs off on the players unlike the ****in Perry Como style of Todd Bowles who makes me want to fall asleep watching him on the sidelines

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

well how bat sh*t crazy is he really ...are we basing this off of his confrontation with Harbaugh who is also bat sh*t crazy :) 

I say bring all the bat sh*t right in here and hopefully their intensity rubs off on the players unlike the ****in Perry Como style of Todd Bowles who makes me want to fall asleep watching him on the sidelines

This was really bad, when he had the Bills carry him off the field as DC of the Bills after being fired from HC job at the Lions, on the Lions home field. The guy is a very good DC, one of the best in the business, and a far better DC than Rex, that said, his brand of bat sh*t crazy scares me. Harbaugh is also bat sh*t crazy, but he is the closest thing to Parcells in this era. He will turn your team around quickly, and give you a relatively short window to win, because he wears out his welcome really fast. BUT, you will have a few years with a legit chance to win a SB before that happens. I don't feel the same way about Scwartz.

635483020837238092-JimSUB.jpg

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The UM job is legendarily difficult, with the most entitled, douchebag alums next to Notre Dame. That program hasn’t won a national title in 30 years but they expect one every year.

Look, he hasn’t gotten it done there and I predicted from the beginning that he’d burn out there, and quickly. He’s a weird dude with no patience for the glad-handing and kissing boosters’ asses. And he’d come here and the media would haaaaate him and he’d get a bunch of front office people fired. BUT, he might compete for a title within four years and he’d teach Sam Darnold a sh*t-ton about playing QB.

You’re describing recruiting problems, not coaching problems.

That would be true if the guys he brought in were not talented but they are. The inability to Coach them up and play is on JH.

And why should UM be evidence of “The Real JH” and not Stanford, San Diego State, or the 49ers?

JH had success in those places no doubt but that was then and this is now. Past Performance is not Indicative of Future Results. Its true in finance AND in coaching. How many times have we seen a guy do well in on the way up and for whatever reason it just doesn't work anymore?

I agree U of M is douchebag central and I have never met a bunch of more entitled scumbags than its fans(maybe Skankee Fans?) and anyone will have a hard time there if they don't immediately win and kiss azz at the same time. I just think JH is not getting it done with what he has. If he is by some miracle hired to coach the Jets at some point he will have a clean slate from me and I will wish him well but his Michigan tenure will be in the back of mind as it should be.

Guys Bowles isn’t getting fired unless the bottom completely falls out and it’s evident the team doesn’t care about what he has to say anymore. Like him or not the team played for him last year and their invested in him....plus him and Mac just got 2 year extensions. 

I know this may be hard for a lot of you but let’s root for Darnold and the progression of our team instead of being whiny little b******

2 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

Let’s all assume that the team will stink again this year because of a rookie QB, below avg talent, and the worst HC in the NFL. 

Who do you want next year?

Candiates: 

Jim Harbaugh-Reports are coming out that he is on the hot seat after the loss to ND 

Todd Haley-If the Browns have a good year I think he could be an option

Jeremy Bates- If the offense performs well and Darnold likes him it could be a Lovie Smith/Dirk Kettering situation 

John DeFillipio-Jets seem to like him 

How do you like the way he's handled Darnald thus far? Does he get any credit for how he's handled Darnald and Bridgewater together? Bridgewater's progress that landed a 3d rounder? Not one TD in the pre season? The secondary? 

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

This was really bad, when he had the Bills carry him off the field as DC of the Bills after being fired from HC job at the Lions, on the Lions home field. The guy is a very good DC, one of the best in the business, and a far better DC than Rex, that said, his brand of bat sh*t crazy scares me. Harbaugh is also bat sh*t crazy, but he is the closest thing to Parcells in this era. He will turn your team around quickly, and give you a relatively short window to win, because he wears out his welcome really fast. BUT, you will have a few years with a legit chance to win a SB before that happens. I don't feel the same way about Scwartz.

635483020837238092-JimSUB.jpg

Big, big, big +1 to this. I'm surprised Schwartz hasn't gotten another look as an HC already. I know he's kind of a maniac interpersonally, but he checks a ton of other boxes. He's got head coaching experience. He's put together good defenses in a few different places. He's worked with Belichick (in Cleveland, but still) and Pederson. He has experience as a coach and a scout, which will likely come in handy in whatever ****ed-up we're-all-in-charge hierarchy he would step into here. He's got a reputation for being forward thinking--e.g., he took over a dome team with Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson, and rather than doing the meathead DC thing and running the ball 40 times a game, the Lions were top 6 in the league pass attempts every year he was there. I can't find the article now, but I also seem to remember him being an early adopter on analytics, which this franchise desperately needs. Anyway, yeah, count me in on Schwartz.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

THE ANSWER IS JAMES JOSEPH HARBAUGH.

You know what his record at Michigan is vs PSU, OSU MSU and Notre Dame? Combined 3-7. And a couple of those were when PSU was still crippled by sanctions.

You complain about the Jets O-line? Look at his current team and their weakness is, offensive line. And that is from having a recruiting base where he should dominate. His qbs go backwards in progress.

I know that the only thing you know about college football is that there are a lot of games on Saturday, but you really should stop picking names because you see their name in the newspaper a lot.

You are better than this.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You know what his record at Michigan is vs PSU, OSU MSU and Notre Dame? Combined 3-7. And a couple of those were when PSU was still crippled by sanctions.

You complain about the Jets O-line? Look at his current team and their weakness is, offensive line. And that is from having a recruiting base where he should dominate. His qbs go backwards in progress.

I know that the only thing you know about college football is that there are a lot of games on Saturday, but you really should stop picking names because you see their name in the newspaper a lot.

You are better than this.

Yes all I know about Jim Harbaugh is that he was born, took the Michigan job, and lost it, and now I’m a highly informed Penn State alum like Scott Dierking.

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Big, big, big +1 to this. I'm surprised Schwartz hasn't gotten another look as an HC already. I know he's kind of a maniac interpersonally, but he checks a ton of other boxes. He's got head coaching experience. He's put together good defenses in a few different places. He's worked with Belichick (in Cleveland, but still) and Pederson. He has experience as a coach and a scout, which will likely come in handy in whatever ****ed-up we're-all-in-charge hierarchy he would step into here. He's got a reputation for being forward thinking--e.g., he took over a dome team with Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson, and rather than doing the meathead DC thing and running the ball 40 times a game, the Lions were top 6 in the league pass attempts every year he was there. I can't find the article now, but I also seem to remember him being an early adopter on analytics, which this franchise desperately needs. Anyway, yeah, count me in on Schwartz.

Schwartz is about the only DC who could actually excite me if he was hired for the reasons you mention. I would also be afraid we would get another Rex from the self promoting standpoint, but I don’t think Schwartz is nearly as insecure as Rex

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mostly agreed, but the x-factor is that Christopher Johnson seems to be smarter and more self-aware than Woody, and there *appears* to be some fracturing in the front office that could indicate a move away from what is, by any measure, a failed regime at the top.

Could be, but I think it's early yet to make this judgment. Woody didn't firmly shove both feet into his mouth for his first 4-5 years either. Give Chris time to come into his own and it could easily go that way.

What's so ridiculous about it is if it's about ego, either one could maintain his position publicly and hire someone else competent behind the scenes. Then again I don't get how it's an ego boost to repeatedly be the one squarely in charge of one terrible decision after another. I'd think it could be just as much of an ego boost to say he hired the one who oversaw hiring the right one(s), but what do I know? 

Case in point: how smart is it to extend both GM and HC after back-to-back 5-win seasons, with a high pick in a QB-rich draft, and crazy cap room available? He'll be faced with the same opportunity again next year, except add Darnold to the mix, and my money says Chris Johnson retains both of them no matter who is available for both jobs so long as they win even 5 games again.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

totally agree of the conditions needed to launch bowles.  but right now i prefer to be optimistic and want to see this team play a few games before making up my mind.  darnold being the real deal will go a long way to solving this team's issues.

Absolutely, but it's also true there are plenty of losing teams that have drafted franchise QBs. You don't draft a FQB and then you're instantly in the SB. Wouldn't you be happy if Darnold turns into Drew Brees? I would. Yet they've been at or under .500 in half his 12 HOF seasons there, and 5 of those 6 were under .500 at that (without contending with a consistent powerhouse in the division for all 12 of those years either). 

It's the first and most important hurdle, assuming Darnold is as good as advertised, has been leaped. There are plenty more. Namely the OL, where we could do with upgrades at no less than 4 starting positions, and edge rusher. The current brain trust has seen fit to draft 1 player from any of those positions prior to round 5 in their 4 seasons (that being Mauldin in round 3 back in 2015).

At least with Darnold, if it finally dawns upon ownership to wake up and move on, the jobs will be that much more attractive. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bowles is not going anywhere.

I am off the Harbaugh train he seems to have become crazier as time as gone on and Michigan can't beat anyone good at all.

I like that we are giving the HC job to bates if the offense does well, the offense did well for morton and gailey and they got fired.

If we are looking for a young offense minded head coach how abut a look at Lincoln Riley, he may be too green I suppose.

If he did not have about 3 awful qualities that exclude him a guy like mcdaniels would be good.

Edit:  Oh and whoever got the job i would demand they bring in wade phillips as DC.

I agree: Blowes is not going anywhere----and neither are we.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Absolutely, but it's also true there are plenty of losing teams that have drafted franchise QBs. You don't draft a FQB and then you're instantly in the SB. Wouldn't you be happy if Darnold turns into Drew Brees? I would. Yet they've been at or under .500 in half his 12 HOF seasons there, and 5 of those 6 were under .500 at that (without contending with a consistent powerhouse in the division for all 12 of those years either). 

It's the first and most important hurdle, assuming Darnold is as good as advertised, has been leaped. There are plenty more. Namely the OL, where we could do with upgrades at no less than 4 starting positions, and edge rusher. The current brain trust has seen fit to draft 1 player from any of those positions prior to round 5 in their 4 seasons (that being Mauldin in round 3 back in 2015).

At least with Darnold, if it finally dawns upon ownership to wake up and move on, the jobs will be that much more attractive. 

That is where I start to question my sanity.  I know Blowes is painfully ignorant about offense, but I believe that what will really undo him is his inadequacy as a defensive coordinator.  For some reason, people assume he is sound there.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be, but I think it's early yet to make this judgment. Woody didn't firmly shove both feet into his mouth for his first 4-5 years either. Give Chris time to come into his own and it could easily go that way.

What's so ridiculous about it is if it's about ego, either one could maintain his position publicly and hire someone else competent behind the scenes. Then again I don't get how it's an ego boost to repeatedly be the one squarely in charge of one terrible decision after another. I'd think it could be just as much of an ego boost to say he hired the one who oversaw hiring the right one(s). 

How smart is it to extend both GM and HC after back-to-back 5-win seasons, with a high pick in a QB-rich draft, and crazy cap room available? He'll be faced with the same opportunity again next year, except add Darnold to the mix, and my money says Chris Johnson retains both of them no matter who is available for both jobs.

All indicators would suggest that you’re spot on, especially considering that the public pressure isn’t there right now for regime change. Most of this dimwit fan base takes their cues from Mehta and Mehta is balls deep into Bowles and Macc fluffing, so Chris Johnson won’t be influenced from that flank. BUT, it’s gonna be tough to justify keeping them around if they go (as expected) 6-10 or worse on top of the two 5-11’s, I would think? Maybe? In a perfect world?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

All indicators would suggest that you’re spot on, especially considering that the public pressure isn’t there right now for regime change. Most of this dimwit fan base takes their cues from Mehta and Mehta is balls deep into Bowles and Macc fluffing, so Chris Johnson won’t be influenced from that flank. BUT, it’s gonna be tough to justify keeping them around if they go (as expected) 6-10 or worse on top of the two 5-11’s, I would think? Maybe? In a perfect world?

This franchise has made countless moves and retentions that were tough to justify. I used to get shocked by these things, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Archived