Jets Hold Multiple Tryouts for Help at Edge and Kicker

JetNation

Nate-Orchard.jpg

It was a busy day for the Jets today despite the season not getting under way until Monday night in Detroit when they take on Matthew Stafford and the Lions.  With a few deficiencies to address, the team took a look at a few prospects off the edge along with a defensive back and a kicker.

Nate Orchard, a former second-round pick of the Cleveland Browns was scheduled to meet with the Jets today as they continue to explore options to get to the quarterback.  Along with Orchard, the team reportedly took a look at Hau’oli Kikaha, a former member of the New Orleans Saints.who has 8 sacks in 27 career games (12 starts).

The team also auditioned former Buccaneers cornerback Josh Robinson, who hasn’t started a game since 2014 and has primarily been a special teams player.  Clearly an area the team is looking to upgrade.

Still apparently unsettled at kicker, the Jets held a workout with former second-round Tampa Bay Bucs kicker Robert Aguayo.

Even with kicker Jason Myers on the roster, the team continues to explore options at the position.

The post Jets Hold Multiple Tryouts for Help at Edge and Kicker appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
WewaaCqiPxQ

Click here to read the full story...

41 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Years/months of scouting and cannot find edge via draft, but a wholesale tryout should fix it. 

This regime is awful.

So you think the Jets are the only team trying out players that were cut this time of year?

It's like some of you don't follow football outside of the Jets cocoon.

34 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Any kicker not named Aguayo is fine

orchard an improvement. 

Sign simmie cobbs from skins too

kick tires on wadley

Aguayo was a top notch prospect before the Bucs put a bullseye on him by drafting him in the 2nd.  Usually, I expect these "2nd chances and changes of scenery" to fail miserably.  I am a believer that either a guy can play or he can't.   But kicker is different because it is so much more psychological than, maybe, all the other positions.

Aguayo by all accounts looked good this summer and might work out well if a team has the courage to give him another shot. 

40 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Aguayo was a top notch prospect before the Bucs put a bullseye on him by drafting him in the 2nd.  Usually, I expect these "2nd chances and changes of scenery" to fail miserably.  I am a believer that either a guy can play or he can't.   But kicker is different because it is so much more psychological than, maybe, all the other positions.

Aguayo by all accounts looked good this summer and might work out well if a team has the courage to give him another shot. 

Ok. But who cares. Just sign bailey and you don’t have to worry about it. Just doesn’t matter.

also yes everyone knows Aguayo history. But the fact is he still might suck. And there’s no need to go down that road.

The Lions have released DE Anthony Zettel. The guy is only 26. He was a 16 game starter and had 6.5 sacks and 33 tackles last year. Word is Patricia didn't like his fit in the defense their running. The Jets with their DL situation would be wise to have a look at this kid. Young and talented.

10 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

The Lions have released DE Anthony Zettel. The guy is only 26. He was a 16 game starter and had 6.5 sacks and 33 tackles last year. Word is Patricia didn't like his fit in the defense their running. The Jets with their DL situation would be wise to have a look at this kid. Young and talented.

Well time to get a rusher and inside information on Detroit. F Patricia. 

I can live with Jason Myers but we definitely won't have a chance in he'll going into this season with the Rag Tag pass rushers that we have.  I would definitely take a shot on Zettel or Nate Orchard for sure. At this point you have to look at John Simon or even Brian Robison or Kikaha that the Saints just let go. If I had my say I would sign at least one of these guys if not 2! But please sign some type of pass rushing help or believe me it's going to get late early!

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Watching Hard Knocks, kind of like Orchard, liked Nassib too but he is gone to TB already. I would sign Orchard for a year and see what happens, guy has a motor.

I know nothing of Orchard but I'll take your word on it. We have nothing to lose.

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And how much fun is it to be Jason Myers right now?  Yikes.  Every day the Jets bring in 2 or 3 kickers hoping and praying that one can take your job. lol

I'm honestly not keen on Myers so if we can find a better kicker let's do it.

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Watching Hard Knocks, kind of like Orchard, liked Nassib too but he is gone to TB already. I would sign Orchard for a year and see what happens, guy has a motor.

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If I recall the Jets were looking at Orchard before trading down and taking Mauldin.

Orchard was a popular name around here that draft season.  

11 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

That would actually be a really nice fit here...

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

That would actually be a really nice fit here...

Exactly. They really need to take a look at this guy. Shows up every game and does the job. I'm surprised they let him go to tell you the truth. The Jets need to get him in here ASAP.

4 hours ago, prime21 said:

Make a freakin decision already.  It's a few days before kickoff and you can's figure out who is the best of the bunch?  

Lets lead the league in 2pt conversion attempts while we're it.

Typically I agree but kicker isn't something that requires weeks/months of game planning. Kick it high on KOs and kick it through the uprights on FGs. There isn't a lot of strategy change on this team compared to others. Teams replace kickers midseason plenty, with none of them carrying a backup. 

It'd be better if they had a money kicker set and in place by late July, but on my top 20 list of complaints this would be #3644.

Holding tryouts for edge rusher in September is inexcusable, though.

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you think the Jets are the only team trying out players that were cut this time of year?

It's like some of you don't follow football outside of the Jets cocoon.

I think the Jets are a team that has been rebuilding for 4 years with Mac/Bowles, and the overwhelming majority of picks and FA additions aren’t on the roster... so tryouts becomes insult to injury.

And no, I never watch football. It’s for dummies too scared to come out.

Archived