- The LB's gave the DLine excellent support in stopping the run.  Avery 
Williamson was the enforcer but unlike David Harris and Demario Davis he
provides speed.  Frankie Luvu had a good debut as he had multiple TFL's and
batted a pass down at the line.  And Darron Lee finally had an impact game
worthy of a #1 pick with two INT's and a pick 6.  And each pick gives you 
hope that maybe he's learning.  The first one he disguised his coverage then
jumped the route for the pick 6.  And on the second one he dropped to the
proper depth in zone coverage and snatched it out of the air

- The secondary was off the charts.  As they covered, tackled, showed great hands
on INT's and displayed depth when players had to leave to be checked for injuries.
Credit to Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine and particularly Jamal Adams.  Adams
had a total game as he was excellent in run support, bringing edge pressure,
coverage and finally got his first pick.  In addition people need to recognize 
his ability to diagnose what the offense is doing and putting himself or his
teammates in proper position

Offense

- Two strange calls by Jeremy Bates that I have to bring up.  The first was the
pick 6 which to me was a little much for a rookie QB's first throw in the pros.
The second was the Robby Anderson reverse on 3rd and 2 which led to a loss and
pushed us out of FG range.  Other than that how could you complain?

- The OLine was excellent in both phases and controlled Ziggy Ansah.  Who cares
if he got a sack, Ansah did his normal thing in getting a "stat", having no
impact then getting injured.  People need to start watching the OLine play and
stop repeating the narrative that they're shaky.  The zone blocking scheme was
devastating and Sam Darnold was kept clean.  Credit to the TE's Eric Tomlinson,
Neal Sterling and Chris Herndon for their help in sealing the edges of DET defense

- Welcome back Quincy Enunwa as he was solid in his first game back.  He provides
the offense with flexibility, makes tough catches and runs "angry".  Good to see
Sam Darnold and Robby Anderson connect on the 40 yard TD.  And Anderson showed strong
hands in ripping the ball away from the safety.  Finally Terrelle Pryor also was
solid in his reps, once Jermaine Kearse gets healthy this will be a dangerous WR
corps

- Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell were excellent as a tandem (22 rushes / 160 yards).
And Powell was incredible in blitz pickup putting LB's on the ground multiple times

- Sam Darnold's awful start displayed one of his best traits, being a "flatliner".
His ability to shrug off the pick 6 allowed the team to stabilize the game and change
momentum.  Because how many times have Jet fans seen Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith commit
turnovers and go straight into the toilet???  Once the INT was out of his system Darnold
went right back to being accurate, mobile and making good decisions.  What a strange
feeling to actually have confidence in your QB

Final Thoughts

- Why didn't the booth review the Parry Nickerson almost INT at the end of the half???
It was close enough to give it another look

- With MIA and the home opener coming up, is this team mature enough to take this effort
and build on it???  Or will they get full of themselves and think they accomplished something   

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100% about the Nickerson interception in the end zone. What better time to challenge than on a very close play with DET in FG range.

How about Bowles look throughout the game? Not sure if it's the first time kids see disneyworld look but I imagine hes dreaming about becoming the next Bill Belichick right now.

Awesome start to the season! 

6 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

I agree 100% about the Nickerson interception in the end zone. What better time to challenge than on a very close play with DET in FG range.

How about Bowles look throughout the game? Not sure if it's the first time kids see disneyworld look but I imagine hes dreaming about becoming the next Bill Belichick right now.

Awesome start to the season! 

I thought the same at the time, but looked down at the bottom of the screen and I dont believe the Jets had any timeouts in which to challenge.

I do think Nickerson was in though. He looked great in his limited snaps. I think he'll end up being a starter before the end of the season. Skrine will probably do Skrine-things and will end up losing his job to Nickerson. 

Team looked great today. I know that pick 6 had Giants fans laughing thinking they dodged a bullet. Instead Darnold looked like one of the better QB's of week 1 and is automatic on 3rd down conversions. 

Im impressed. I didnt expect this from him...and not that quickly at that. If he can keep this up and the rest of the team doea their job, the Jets will compete for this division.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I do think Nickerson was in though. He looked great in his limited snaps. I think he'll end up being a starter before the end of the season. Skrine will probably do Skrine-things and will end up losing his job to Nickerson. 

He needs to cut out that taunting bull sh*t. 

4 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Nickerson play needed to be a booth review. Inside 2 minutes. 

Right.   And we had no timeouts left to try to “ encourage” a review.  I thought that was am incredible play by Nickerson and we got screwed out of our 6th! interception

i also thought his penalty for taunting was a sh*t call and nothing that doesn’t happen 30 times a game.

51 minutes ago, KRL said:

It seems like Bowles has given up calling the defense, if he has give
Kacy Rodgers credit.  Because the defense was prepared, fast, communicated
well and attacked Stafford all night

It seems like Bowles might be figuring out this head coaching thing, be the general and leave the play calling to the coordinators.

Thx KRL

Darnold's pick is totally on Bates ... He took a gamble & lost ... I'm sure he was thinking "man if I can use some trickery & get this kid started with a homerun that will totally have him in the right frame of mind the rest of the game".  Instead he got struck out.  

Designed Rolling the kid out right ... Having him throw the ball late across him body, back across the entire field ... D*mn man! ?

Also agree the Anderson third down run in FG range was a bad play call by Bates (whether it worked or not) ... Similar to Darnold's Int ... Again going for a homerun with trickery ... No matter how fast Robbie is ... Don't pitch the ball backwards 5 yards & then run him horizontally ... Especially at that location on the field.

WTF with that Int not being reviewed ... I didn't expect the call to be reversed...  but it was d*mned close enough for the refs to take a look.  They made up for it though with Q's , one handed against his helmet, rolling on the ground,third down catch.  Imagine THAT being called (and then confirmed) as a catch with the rules in place last year !?!?!?!

loved everything about the TD to Robbie ...Sam gaining extra time by rolling out ...Robbie torching the DB...Robbie giving his QB the arm up - toss it here my brother .. I got you man! ... Darnold seeing it ... Darnold believing in his team-mate and throwing the ball to him ( I admit Darnold through it a step behind ...still a pretty good throw ... Prob cause he's still getting used to Robbie is someone able to break the land speed record) ... Then Robbie delivering what he said he'd do ... (Having to slow down a step but then) jumping up for the ball , snatching that sucker away from the DB as if he were a 6 year old at a birthday party ... & the parents were handling out the last Twinkie!  Sammie I am your Mannie !!!!!

A+'s across the board everywhere

i truly didn't know what to do with myself last night ... Jumping around ... grabbing my own head with both hands as I shook it about , making my lips loose & making a bbwwwaaahhhhhhhhh (lips shaking) sound ... Laughing like a crazy man time after time !?!?!?!

i don't know what this feeling of joy is ... But I Like It !!!!!

1 minute ago, Drums said:

That taunting call should barely be called, especially not after that play last night. This is football!

It wasn’t even taunting Nickerson and the player he tackled were physically tangled after the tackle

These refs were trying to help the lions since the game was still close at that point.  Vegas baby Vegas

That Nickerson taunting would never have been called if he was a star veteran & not a rookie. Go take a look at Gronks 1st TD Sunday vs the Texans. Gronk catches the ball turns to the 2 defenders, literally points at them with his finger, shakes his head up & down while laughing. 

NFL needs to step in & keep these f*cking refs from ruining the game! Stars are CONSTANTLY taunting.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That Nickerson taunting would never have been called if he was a star veteran & not a rookie. Go take a look at Gronks 1st TD Sunday vs the Texans. Gronk catches the ball turns to the 2 defenders, literally points at them with his finger, shakes his head up & down while laughing. 

NFL needs to step in & keep these f*cking refs from ruining the game! Stars are CONSTANTLY taunting.

All these refs are crooked especially now that sports betting is legal in other states now it’s going to get worse.  The refs were giving the lions gifts early in the game last night trying to help with the point spread 

Nickerson was absolutely robbed on that pick in addition to the phantom taunting call

The Darnold pick was 100% on the Oline & Darnold. I'm not going to fault Bates for having confidence in the kid & being aggressive. As soon as Darnold gets the snap, a Lion defender has quick pressure slighting to his left which forces Sam to move to his right & climb back up while still moving to his right. Sam then panics & throws the ball across his body which is taught to QBs as a no no since QB play has been coached. 

The 1st thing I thought was well he got that mistake out of the way, lol. So funny that Brett Favre also had a pick 6 on his 1st NFL throw. Good omen? 

You'll probably never see Sam do that again & if you do, the guy is wide open! 

• It’s good that Luvu was finally put on the 53, because it appeared he played a lot and was impactful.  So was the other new EDGE guy whose name I can’t spell.
  • Lee was looking like Lee in the first half, and I saw him bounce off a couple of tackles.  But the Jets appeared to get how to play him-in space-and then he played obviously great-like how he was drafted to play.  If he can keep that up he will make himself a lot of money.
  • I like how Anderson was used, other than that sweep that we hopefully never see again.  
  • Can we extend Enunwa please?  If Mac waits until off season he will get burned.
  • Adams was used like he was supposed to-he was in the box, and in the back.  Made plays in both.   He played like he was drafted to play.  
  • I saw many plays with at least 2 TEs on the field, which is why the Jets kept 4 of them.
  • Who gets cut to put Ardarious Stewart on the 53?  I say cut him and Practice Squad.  
  • I like the outside running.  I thought I was watching USC from the 1970s.  
  • The Dolphins are beatable.  Need to notch that win.  
  • Other than the first play, I don’t think you watch the game and see a rookie QB.

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Darnold pick was 100% on the Oline & Darnold. I'm not going to fault Bates for having confidence in the kid & being aggressive. As soon as Darnold gets the snap, a Lion defender has quick pressure slighting to his left which forces Sam to move to his right & climb back up while still moving to his right. Sam then panics & throws the ball across his body which is taught to QBs as a no no since QB play has been coached. 

The 1st thing I thought was well he got that mistake out of the way, lol. So funny that Brett Favre also had a pick 6 on his 1st NFL throw. Good omen? 

The play is designed to go across the field. The narrative that’s is a no no is BS- ive seen it many times, it was a designed play- Darnold should have thrown it over the defender or gone to his second option but he said he was too excited to hit the play.

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It's pretty obvious to see that it was a designed roll out to the right with a designed throw back. They were trying to catch the Lions off guard and we're hoping they would over commit to the right and they didn't. It was a great play by their defense.

10 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • It’s good that Luvu was finally put on the 53, because it appeared he played a lot and was impactful.  So was the other new EDGE guy whose name I can’t spell.
  • Lee was looking like Lee in the first half, and I saw him bounce off a couple of tackles.  But the Jets appeared to get how to play him-in space-and then he played obviously great-like how he was drafted to play.  If he can keep that up he will make himself a lot of money.
  • I like how Anderson was used, other than that sweep that we hopefully never see again.  
  • Can we extend Enunwa please?  If Mac waits until off season he will get burned.
  • Adams was used like he was supposed to-he was in the box, and in the back.  Made plays in both.   He played like he was drafted to play.  
  • I saw many plays with at least 2 TEs on the field, which is why the Jets kept 4 of them.
  • Who gets cut to put Ardarious Stewart on the 53?  I say cut him and Practice Squad.  
  • Other than the first play, I don’t think you watch the game and see a rookie QB.

Curious where all the Adams "box safety" guys are today - maybe its smart to give the kid into his second year before forming an opinion.

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think the biggest challenge facing Bates and Darnold going into the Miami game will be the need to push the ball downfield a little more.  Now that there is some tape on Darnold, I think Miami has to take away the underneath stuff and make Darnold look outside and downfield.  

Im not nitpicking at all, but with respect to throwing down the field - on the Robby TD, he was wide open, and had Darnold thrown that to the back pylon it was a cake walk.  I dont think its an arm strength thing, but that ball needs to be thrown for Robby to run and get it, and not give the DB a chance

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im not nitpicking at all, but with respect to throwing down the field - on the Robby TD, he was wide open, and had Darnold thrown that to the back pylon it was a cake walk.  I dont think its an arm strength thing, but that ball needs to be thrown for Robby to run and get it, and not give the DB a chance

Agree on it being a step under thrown...but imagine how we'd be talking right now if he went back pylon & it was a touch overthrown 

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

Robinson or Leggett will get cut loose. We have 3 UFA Wide receivers. One of them we will let walk.

14 minutes ago, BCJet said:

He hit Robby in stride though, you can’t throw that to the back pylon on that route though.  He still threw the ball effortlessly 50 yards in the air.  He will need to show that more IMO, as teams are going to force him to look there.  Up to Robby and Pryor to get open for him. 

I knew it was going to be a fun night when the announcing crew tried to prop up Patricia by showing Belicheck's coaching tree. That was absolutely adorable.

The Fans gathering behind the bench to rock the chant, gave me goosebumps. I love that Darold acknowledged them. 

All the stuff in between those two things, was pretty great too.

31 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The play is designed to go across the field. The narrative that’s is a no no is BS- ive seen it many times, it was a designed play- Darnold should have thrown it over the defender or gone to his second option but he said he was too excited to hit the play.

Maybe, it's not designed to take 6 freaking seconds!

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He hit Robby in stride though, you can’t throw that to the back pylon on that route though.  He still threw the ball effortlessly 50 yards in the air.  He will need to show that more IMO, as teams are going to force him to look there.  Up to Robby and Pryor to get open for him. 

If we can run the football half way decently, it's a very hard team to defend with a good QB. A lot of receivers with different skill sets. Two running backs who can catch the football. Hell ,no Kearse ,and Tight ends that weren't a big part last night in the passing game.

Archived