One thing about Monday nobody is discussing

JohnnyLV

Rookie or not, Detroit paid a LOT of respect to Darnold right from the beginning. Generally the book on rookie QBs is to stack the box and "dare" the rookie to pass, and then try and confuse him with combo coverages, LBers dropping under short passes, delayed blitzes, mug looks, etc... Detroit did some of that, but they were in 2 high a lot (and Sam even exploited that deep), and generally did not blitz too much, and tried to catch him with more exotic coverages. And Sam didn't fall for any of it. What little film there was of Sam from the preseason, was enough for Detroit to be much more conservative from a LOS standpoint than you almost ever see with rookie QBs. If this stays true, it will really open up the run game, and make it even easier on Sam. One of the most amazing things Sam said Monday is that he has to be extra patient in the NFL, which also means that for Sam the NFL is not too "fast", he has even said it is easier to read than college. Darnold's processing of NFL plays is among the best I have ever seen and he is a rookie. Look at the slant he threw, he had it perfectly in Enunwas hands in like 1.5 seconds with a pump fake. That was amazing. I guess we still need to be prepared for rookie mistakes but other than that first throw (which was a designed play) he just doesn't play like a rookie at ALL.

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Rookie or not, Detroit paid a LOT of respect to Darnold right from the beginning. Generally the book on rookie QBs is to stack the box and "dare" the rookie to pass, and then try and confuse him with combo coverages, LBers dropping under short passes, delayed blitzes, mug looks, etc... Detroit did some of that, but they were in 2 high a lot (and Sam even exploited that deep), and generally did not blitz too much, and tried to catch him with more exotic coverages. And Sam didn't fall for any of it. What little film there was of Sam from the preseason, was enough for Detroit to be much more conservative from a LOS standpoint than you almost ever see with rookie QBs. If this stays true, it will really open up the run game, and make it even easier on Sam. One of the most amazing things Sam said Monday is that he has to be extra patient in the NFL, which also means that for Sam the NFL is not too "fast", he has even said it is easier to read than college. Darnold's processing of NFL plays is among the best I have ever seen and he is a rookie. Look at the slant he threw, he had it perfectly in Enunwas hands in like 1.5 seconds with a pump fake. That was amazing. I guess we still need to be prepared for rookie mistakes but other than that first throw (which was a designed play) he just doesn't play like a rookie at ALL.

I know everyone is focused on "Sammy D" and rightfully so, but some other things I took from Monday were more team related.

This team was ranked #32 last year.  over/under was 1.5 wins.  predicted to possibly be the worst offense in NFL history.  we won 5 games.  got "Seffarian Jenkined" in 2 games that cost us.  plus the atlanta game.  2nd game against Miami?  I mean you could get hit by lightning twice in three seconds before anyone could lose that game again.  My point is:  we could have / should have been at least 8-8 last year.

and that was with McCown.  we didn't have Enunwa, didn't have Crowell (ask Bart Scott about him!), no TJ on D, etc etc etc

yes, we should be much better this year looking at our team now vs team then, but our schedule is the problem.  Detroit/Miami/Cleveland doesn't sound so bad, but in 10 days?  and we better get like 7-8 wins in our first 10, because anyone look at our last 6 games??

look at 2014 schedule.  when you start off 1-7, kinda makes it tough to make a run you know?  if we can just get out of these 1st 3 games at least 2-1 (3-0 would be REAL nice!) I think the Jets can build on that.  but they need to keep the momentum rolling.  if they can get to like 7-3 or so when they hit those last 6 games, maybe momentum can help.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

NY Giants fans family and friends deny the fact they blew it. 

Haha. I’ve been reading the message boards and enjoy it. They were all laughing at the first pick 6 and then it got real quiet and they started arguing with each other about how he was the right pick. F those losers.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NY Giants fans family and friends deny the fact they blew it. 

I agree 100%.  my Dad, brother, sister, brother in law, friends, hell EVERYONE I know is a friggin' giants fan.  Man, do I hate the giants.  but yeah we had a family party the day after the giants released their "QB of the future", you know:  the reason they didn't take Darnold?  I didn't know this and I was like: "WHOA!!  you released him??  for WHO???  KYLE LAULETTA?  who was friggin 1 for 2 for ONE YARD against the Jets???"  and they got all defensive that KL was so much better etc etc.

I mean maybe he is (I have heard he is not) but they got him in the 4th round!!!  when they got Say What? Barkley, all they had was Eli and Webb.  just makes no sense.

Listen, it's gotta be driving giants fans nuts!  they are already hearing it about Sam after ONE GAME!  

AND I LOVE IT!!!

2 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I agree 100%.  my Dad, brother, sister, brother in law, friends, hell EVERYONE I know is a friggin' giants fan.  Man, do I hate the giants.  but yeah we had a family party the day after the giants released their "QB of the future", you know:  the reason they didn't take Darnold?  I didn't know this and I was like: "WHOA!!  you released him??  for WHO???  KYLE LAULETTA?  who was friggin 1 for 2 for ONE YARD against the Jets???"  and they got all defensive that KL was so much better etc etc.

I mean maybe he is (I have heard he is not) but they got him in the 4th round!!!  when they got Say What? Barkley, all they had was Eli and Webb.  just makes no sense.

Listen, it's gotta be driving giants fans nuts!  they are already hearing it about Sam after ONE GAME!  

AND I LOVE IT!!!

HELL YES and all I keep hearing how high they are on Kyle Lauletta what else can they say. 

"ONE THING I'VE NOTICED IS THE WAY DARNOLD MOVES HIS EYEBROWS BEFORE THE SNAP"

I think many of us are looking at a sample size of 1 -- breaking it down -- and then make these sweeping assumptions/conclusions...

I get it as a fan - but it's bad practice. You can't project a trend out of 1 game. Geno Smith looked all world for a game or two.

Jets look good. Darnold looked great. One game at time here.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

HELL YES and all I keep hearing how high they are on Kyle Lauletta what else can they say. 

not sure, but I think it was the Daily News that had the headline: "Giants plan at QB:  Eli Manning is immortal!"

and boy, did he look awful on Sunday or what?  that Eli cannot hit the broad side of a barn from 1-20 yards.  it's borderline pathetic.  his bread and butter is to just launch the football 40 yards downfield and pray his receiver can outjump the defender. he NEEDS to score from more than 40 yards away.  I'm telling ya!  look at the preseason game against he Jets!  idiot Canon fumbles a kickoff on our 15 yard line.  what does Eli do?  NOTHING.  field goal.  giants get a big punt return to our 30 yard line.  what does Eli do?  nothing.  field goal.

giants fans can deny it all they want, but you KNOW it is killing them.  I have another family party this Saturday.  As Bart Scott would say:  "can't wait!!"  and I don't say a word.  I'm smart enough not to rub anything in.  but there is no sound on earth as beautiful as a silent giants fan....

7 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

not sure, but I think it was the Daily News that had the headline: "Giants plan at QB:  Eli Manning is immortal!"

and boy, did he look awful on Sunday or what?  that Eli cannot hit the broad side of a barn from 1-20 yards.  it's borderline pathetic.  his bread and butter is to just launch the football 40 yards downfield and pray his receiver can outjump the defender. he NEEDS to score from more than 40 yards away.  I'm telling ya!  look at the preseason game against he Jets!  idiot Canon fumbles a kickoff on our 15 yard line.  what does Eli do?  NOTHING.  field goal.  giants get a big punt return to our 30 yard line.  what does Eli do?  nothing.  field goal.

giants fans can deny it all they want, but you KNOW it is killing them.  I have another family party this Saturday.  As Bart Scott would say:  "can't wait!!"  and I don't say a word.  I'm smart enough not to rub anything in.  but there is no sound on earth as beautiful as a silent giants fan....

The entire Giants offense looked horrible Saquan Barkley is a BEAST but he only had 1 decent run which padded his stats. Eli was missing OBJ and Shepherd all damn day and there OL sucks. 

21 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I know everyone is focused on "Sammy D" and rightfully so, but some other things I took from Monday were more team related.

This team was ranked #32 last year.  over/under was 1.5 wins.  predicted to possibly be the worst offense in NFL history.  we won 5 games.  got "Seffarian Jenkined" in 2 games that cost us.  plus the atlanta game.  2nd game against Miami?  I mean you could get hit by lightning twice in three seconds before anyone could lose that game again.  My point is:  we could have / should have been at least 8-8 last year.

and that was with McCown.  we didn't have Enunwa, didn't have Crowell (ask Bart Scott about him!), no TJ on D, etc etc etc

yes, we should be much better this year looking at our team now vs team then, but our schedule is the problem.  Detroit/Miami/Cleveland doesn't sound so bad, but in 10 days?  and we better get like 7-8 wins in our first 10, because anyone look at our last 6 games??

look at 2014 schedule.  when you start off 1-7, kinda makes it tough to make a run you know?  if we can just get out of these 1st 3 games at least 2-1 (3-0 would be REAL nice!) I think the Jets can build on that.  but they need to keep the momentum rolling.  if they can get to like 7-3 or so when they hit those last 6 games, maybe momentum can help.

imo the main problem with the early schedule is that they don't get much time to recuperate from a game.  and this means recuperating from a win as well as a loss.  as we have seen in the past, the jets seem to get too full of themselves and drop easy games.

as for the next or any opponent, last season's performace is no guarantee of this season's.  yes we expect the doltfins and browns to be their usual clown car teams but the browns also got a tie and the doltfins usually play the jets pretty hard.  but they do need to win these two games if only to take pressure off of having to win the next one and so on.  needing to win 7 out of 12 is a heck of a lot easier than having to win 9 out of 12.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

imo the main problem with the early schedule is that they don't get much time to recuperate from a game.  and this means recuperating from a win as well as a loss.  as we have seen in the past, the jets seem to get too full of themselves and drop easy games.

as for the next or any opponent, last season's performace is no guarantee of this season's.  yes we expect the doltfins and browns to be their usual clown car teams but the browns also got a tie and the doltfins usually play the jets pretty hard.  but they do need to win these two games if only to take pressure off of having to win the next one and so on.  needing to win 7 out of 12 is a heck of a lot easier than having to win 9 out of 12.

exactly.  hey it could have been worse:  imagine if Cleveland and Jacksonville games had been switched???

I agree with the op but also matt Patricia was coaching as if he had the pats.  A team that give up lots of yards but does not turn it over and creates turnovers.  Also he missed a little detail in that he does jot have tom BRADY.

One thing that was oh so funny was the commentators saying how patricia was going to make the lions just like the pats and within a few minutes the jets had to waste two time outs because darnold was not getting the play on his head set.

46 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Kicking game has not gotten much love ether. 

what about the return game?  Roberts flipped the field before the first TD and put them at mid-field for the 2nd. Game was over by the time he got the TD, but his punt returns were a big part of the scoring. 

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Jets look good. Darnold looked great. Shelf the rest for 4-6 games for pete's sake.

I think it is the other way around.  Darnold looked good, Jets looked great. 

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

what about the return game?  Roberts flipped the field before the first TD and put them at mid-field for the 2nd. Game was over by the time he got the TD, but his punt returns were a big part of the scoring. 

I think it is the other way around.  Darnold looked good, Jets looked great. 

Indeed! And this was after we all pressed the panic button after looking like trash against the Giants

Being able to flip the field and giving the Offense short fields to work with will make a huge difference for our rookie QB

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

One thing about this is that this is how Patricia plays Defense.  He normally rushes 3 and dares qbs to throw... which can be difficult for rookie QBs... he doesn't typically rush the QB... Just his style.... so he stuck with his style.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

One thing about this is that this is how Patricia plays Defense.  He normally rushes 3 and dares qbs to throw... which can be difficult for rookie QBs... he doesn't typically rush the QB... Just his style.... so he stuck with his style.

Works when you’re always defending with a lead. You want the opposing team to chew up clock and have to run more offensive plays (more chances to turn them over or tire them out; hence his reputation for ‘bend but don’t break’ defenses in NE).

Mostly, you protect against the quick score because you don’t care if they eventually score as long as it takes them a while. 

That’s the defense that all coaches with great QBs employ or should employ. Another example of football being a complimentary game between offense and defense even when most players don’t play 2 ways.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

"I WATCHED THE GAME AND NOTICED THAT THE SECONDARY ALWAYS EXHALED IN UNISON WITH THE SNAP CADENCE. I'M PRETTY SURE THAT MEANS THAT MEANS THEY'RE SCANNERS. HAVE YOU SEEN THAT MOVIE?" 

Too many are looking at a sample size of 1 -- break it down into its particulars -- and then make these sweeping assumptions/conclusions...

I get it as a fan - but it's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad practice. You can't project a trend out of 1 game. Geno Smith looked all world for a game or two.

Jets look good. Darnold looked great. Shelf the rest for 4-6 games for pete's sake.

Frankie Luvu eyeblack was epic!

2 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Lowest O/U was 4.5.  I won at 5, was looking for the lowest.  That was it

One thing hardly anyone is talking about is the OL play, in particular Brandon Shell.

I’m loving this zone blocking scheme Dennison has implemented and Shell looks to be a big beneficiary.

He carried over his strong play from the pre-season into Monday night. Had multiple key blocks, including the designed QB run where Darnold picked up a 1st down and the 62 yard Crowell TD run. I was one of the people complaining when Macc traded that future 4th rounder to move up into the 5th and draft him that year. But I’ll be damned if it isn’t starting to pay off and then some. Jets should think about extending him very soon.

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

One thing hardly anyone is talking about is the OL play, in particular Brandon Shell.

I’m loving this zone blocking scheme Dennison has implemented and Shell looks to be a big beneficiary.

He carried over his strong play from the pre-season into Monday night. Had multiple key blocks, including the designed QB run where Darnold picked up a 1st down and the 62 yard Crowell TD run. I was one of the people complaining when Macc traded that future 4th rounder to move up into the 5th and draft him that year. But I’ll be damned if it isn’t starting to pay off and then some. Jets should think about extending him very soon.

He was excellent and should get an extension during the season before he becomes overpriced.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

"I WATCHED THE GAME AND NOTICED THAT THE SECONDARY ALWAYS EXHALED IN UNISON WITH THE SNAP CADENCE. I'M PRETTY SURE THAT MEANS THAT MEANS THEY'RE SCANNERS. HAVE YOU SEEN THAT MOVIE?" 

Too many are looking at a sample size of 1 -- break it down into its particulars -- and then make these sweeping assumptions/conclusions...

I get it as a fan - but it's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad practice. You can't project a trend out of 1 game. Geno Smith looked all world for a game or two.

While I agree with this premise, I cannot help but get goose bumps when I think of how good Sam is going to be. Not how good he might be, how good he will be. You can see it. You can feel it. Prime example, Monday night's game is 17-17, we just gave up 10 straight and I thought that if we do not score on this next drive, this game could get away from us as we have seen so many times. What does Darnold do? Business like drive, 24-17 within 3 minutes or so. That is what the greats do. When there is adversity they are at their best and Sam has that trait. Can't teach it. How many times has Peyton Manning, Brady, or even Ben burned the Jets (and many other teams) in the last minute of a half, or with a drive for a late score to win a game after the Jets had taken a lead? After seeing how matter of fact that TD drive to make the game 24-17 was, I felt a strange confident feeling that not only is this QB in control of this offense, but he has already elevated this entire team basically.

Monday night, I saw every single player and coach on that team performing at an elevated level.

Hoping it continues so that I do not look like an idiot LOL, but this time I think maybe we have something here...

Good points 

We need Kearse to take the heat off of Q on 3rd down, Miami will be all over that 

Love that bates showed a lot of different things, but Miami knocked the titans around and got physical with mariota 

Might be a good week to mix in draws and screens 

Archived