Darron Lee Earns Highest Defensive PFF Grade for Week 1

JetNation

IMG_4298.jpg

Darron Lee’s dominant performance in week 1 against the Lions has been discussed at great length in the days that followed the Jets 48-17 victory, and it seems that the commentary on Lee wasn’t being overstated at all.

According to pro football focus, Lee earned the highest defensive grade in the NFL at 94.5 as a result of his 7 tackle, 2 interception performance that saw Lee return one pick for a touchdown.

It’s just one game, but still a huge step in the right direction for Lee, who struggled through his first two pro seasons.

The post Darron Lee Earns Highest Defensive PFF Grade for Week 1 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
KSZcFj5_r68

Click here to read the full story...

Seriously he kept his eyes glued on the QB and also moved around in space nicely. It's such an improvement... The last couple years he had to pick one. Either watch the QB and have no idea where he (or anyone else) is in his coverage space; or watch the receiver and not know where the ball was going. At least for one game he was able to do both really well.

I hope that's a mixture of coaching and learning and also him just starting to trust his talent and instincts again... We'll see what happens! 

Darron Lee 23 years old

A few LBers taken in the first two rounds of this year's draft:

Darius Leonard 23

Harold Landry 22

Vander Esch 22

Rashaan Evans 22

Lee was a bit of a project coming out of college. Year 1, he was bad. Year 2, he still struggled, but started showing signs of being a playmaker (94 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 8 "stuffs"). Year 3 looks to be his breakout year. Not expecting a pro bowler, but I am expecting a player that will occassionally get run over by bigger WRs/TEs/RBs but will also make big plays. 

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Darron Lee 23 years old

Darius Leonard 23

Harold Landry 22

Vander Esch 22

Rashaan Evans 22

Lee was a bit of a project coming out of college. Year 1, he was bad. Year 2, he still struggled, but started showing signs of being a playmaker (94 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 8 "stuffs"). Year 3 looks to be his breakout year. Not expecting a pro bowler, but I am expecting a player that will occassionally get run over by bigger WRs/TEs/RBs but will also make big plays. 

Lee plays well in space.  Kacy needs to keep him in space.  He will get run over by guards and TEs.  He basically needs to clog passing lanes and tackle people with a running start.  

50 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Lee was good enough his first 2 years to keep his starting mlb spot on the defense. I never thought he was a bust. Never said it either. He truly needed time to develop and the Jets did it while playing him full time. Good job Bowles on this one. 

Yeah..let’s wait until he plays Tom Brady twice, Kirk Cousins and Aaron Rodgers before we say all of that.

Big step in the right direction for this guy. BIG

I have been a vocal critic and would love to be proven wrong..... LOVE to be.

When a team is 10-22 over 2 seasons high picks will get the heat and he was at the top of my list.

Having said that, one game doesnt make a season and he has to continue to produce before I am won over.

Keep up the good work Smurfy.

So far so good. While I am encouraged its just one game. Consistency is the operative word here. I am not expecting Lee to do what he did against the Lions every game and no one should. Just play competently every game and lets see what happens. I have been a critic of his and WANT him to shut me up. Hopefully he does.

18 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Darron Lee 23 years old

Darius Leonard 23

Harold Landry 22

Vander Esch 22

Rashaan Evans 22

While I appreciate his age, his size is the thing that magnifies his shortcomings. Nothing can change that considering his position. His priority needs to be keeping himself clean from the pick plays and find ways to avoid taking on the blocks head on by shooting the gaps with his speed. Playing smarter and identifying the play early (film, film, film) can help put him in position to succeed. Great young man... rooting for him!

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

While I appreciate his age, his size is the thing that magnifies his shortcomings. Nothing can change that considering his position. His priority needs to be keeping himself clean from the pick plays and find ways to avoid taking on the blocks head on by shooting the gaps with his speed. Playing smarter and identifying the play early (film, film, film) can help put him in position to succeed. Great young man... rooting for him!

Many NFL teams have ILBs Lee’s size or smaller.  He is supposed to be great in coverage.  Last 2 years he was not.   Last Monday he was.  He is the response to the NFL being a passing league.  If teams decide to become ground teams again, Lee could be obsolete.  

Pound for pound Darron Lee is one or the most freakishly athletically gifted players on our team and has the elite athleticism as that of Jonathan Vilma. 

I've been saying since dating back to day one of the drafting of Darron Lee, that this kid is going to mold and develop into a perennial Pro Bowl MLB. 

His rookie year he was very raw, extremely young and only a couple years removed of H.S QB status.

Last year he made absolute tremendous improvement and only as a 2nd year kid recorded 94 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 3.0 passes defended and 2 forced fumbles. 

And heading into Monday Night's game I couldn't stop stressing the importance (to his skeptics) of an NFL players 3rd year and how an NFL 3rd year is to never be overlooked or underestimated. 

And during the first game of his 3rd year; the kid puts on a show while displaying breakout ability. 

A High School QB turned Ohio State Walk-On turned Sugar Bowl Defensive MVP vs. Alabama turned NFL 1st round draft pick. 

This young man has been doubted by everyone and Jet fans were no different, however I've never once doubted him with taunts of "Sharron Lee" or even mocked his size; because there's never been a doubt in my mind that Darron Lee is the next coming of Jonathan Vilma but unlike Vilma will be a Jet long term. 

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

Many NFL teams have ILBs Lee’s size or smaller.  He is supposed to be great in coverage.  Last 2 years he was not.   Last Monday he was.  He is the response to the NFL being a passing league.  If teams decide to become ground teams again, Lee could be obsolete.  

I've always laughed at the one's who've called him "Sharron Lee" or mocked his "size" at 6'1 232 lbs.

Because at the end of the day and throughout the entire process I've always known and understood that those types of Jet fans were the only absolutely clueless one's who've had no idea (whatsoever) that outstanding LB's such as Lavonte David (6'1 233 lbs) and Luke Kuechly (6'3 238 lbs) are nearly identical in weight (along with plenty of others) all while claiming that he's "too small to be an NFL Linebacker". 

Why not guys like Jordan Jenkins? Why's it always real talents such as Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Darron Lee? Is it because their '1st round draft picks" or is it really because they're without question 3 of our very most talented players and as sharks within the waters they have no one else to "beat up on"?

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah..let’s wait until he plays Tom Brady twice, Kirk Cousins and Aaron Rodgers before we say all of that.

I think that's a bit unfair b/c those guys (maybe minus Cousins) beat veteran Pro Bowl linebackers on a regular basis. It's like saying wait until he has to cover Gronk. Well, Gronk dominates EVERY LB that tries to cover him. Just saying. Lee had a great game. I'm sure he will put up a sticker at some point this season, I'm sure he will have a few more very good games and a bunch of average games. He's a talented young LB who's been the starter his first two seasons and looks to be improving. He was a first round pick but not a top ten pick (20th). I don't expect him to be a Pro Bowler in the first few years in the league. Yes, he could have come out of the game (rookie year) stronger. But I'm happy with the player the Jets have in Lee.  

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:42 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Because at the end of the day and throughout the entire process I've always known and understood that those types of Jet fans were the only absolutely clueless one's who've had no idea (whatsoever) that outstanding LB's such as Lavonte David (6'1 233 lbs) and Luke Kuechly (6'3 238 lbs) are nearly identical in weight (along with plenty of others) all while claiming that he's "too small to be an NFL Linebacker". 

Was about to say the same thing. After Lee was drafted and did not have an amazing rookie year there were full on threads calling him a tiny linebacker a shrimp etc. etc. and more full on threads comparing lots and lots and lots of very good to great veteran linebackers past and present that are pretty much the same size. It's ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I think that's a bit unfair b/c those guys (maybe minus Cousins) beat veteran Pro Bowl linebackers on a regular basis. It's like saying wait until he has to cover Gronk. Well, Gronk dominates EVERY LB that tries to cover him. Just saying. Lee had a great game. I'm sure he will put up a sticker at some point this season, I'm sure he will have a few more very good games and a bunch of average games. He's a talented young LB who's been the starter his first two seasons and looks to be improving. He was a first round pick but not a top ten pick (20th). I don't expect him to be a Pro Bowler in the first few years in the league. Yes, he could have come out of the game (rookie year) stronger. But I'm happy with the player the Jets have in Lee.  

That’s not unfair, you are over analyzing the statement, I simply mean let’s wait until he plays offenses worth a damn consistently before we say anything.

51 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Was about to say the same thing. After Lee was drafted and did not have an amazing rookie year there were full on threads calling him a tiny linebacker a shrimp etc. etc. and more full on threads comparing lots and lots and lots of very good to great veteran linebackers past and present that are pretty much the same size. It's ridiculous. 

Kiko Alonso is another example @ 233 lbs and an all out tackling machine.

And Telvin Smith who's an absolute stud has recorded 452 tackles after 4 years of play @ 215 lbs (along with 7 INT'S and an All-Pro/Pro Bowl selection). 

Etc, etc you can play this game for hours on end while listing off a boat load of NFL LB's who play at Darron Lee's weight. 

If Darron Lee is "too small" and given nicknames by clueless naysayers such as "Sharron Lee" while mocking his "size" well then I guess the likes of Luke Kuechly, Lavonte David, Kiko Alonso and Telvin Smith (and many of other's) are also "too small" to play NFL Linebacker as well. 

I'm sorry but if you've ever claimed that Darron Lee was/is too small to play LB, you don't know Football. 

Lee deserves the accolades, but I've always viewed PFF player ratings as a very, very rough measuring stick. There are times when it isn't even that. For instance, Stafford and Josh Allen graded out with higher ratings after week 1 than Darnold. I can't even imagine how that is possible, even with the pick six, but since their ratings are hidden behind a secret formula and a $200 pay wall, I guess I'll never know.

Love what I saw out of Lee last week.  I was not a big fan of the pick, nor was I a fan of the player during his first two years with the team.  But, what I saw on Monday night was a completely different player.  Biggest complaint I had of him coming out of OSU was lack of instincts, he always seemd to hesitate a beat before reacting to a play, which kind of offset his speed.  And more often than not he took bad angles to the ball carrier and struggled in coverage.

But on Monday night, that hesitation was gone.  I am not just talking about the 2 interceptions, but he made a couple of plays where he blew up screen passes.  He reacted quickly, took good angles to the ball and hit the ball carrier at around the line of scrimmage.  On the 2 interceptions he showed an awareness in the passing game I had not seen before.  

I get that it was only 1 game.  But for the first time since we drafted him, I am optimistic that he could be the guy that he was originally drafted to be.  Would be huge for our defense if Lee can play like this consistenlty.

45 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That’s not unfair, you are over analyzing the statement, I simply mean let’s wait until he plays offenses worth a damn consistently before we say anything.

What are you talking about? Please get a grip of reality, please. 

Since when was Detroit's offensive attack "not worth a damn"?

Matthew Stafford is a former Pro-Bowler and a damn good QB at that (QB Rating of 96.5 over the previous 3 years) and also one who (just last year) led his Lions offensive attack as the NFL's 6th ranked overall offense with 355 total yards per game and a 6th ranked NFL offensive in passing yards per game with 243 passing yards per game while Detroit's high octane offense led Detroit to a 9-7 season. 

But now us Darron Lee supporters and fans of his God given athleticism need to shut our mouth and "not say anything" until he plays an offense who's "worth a damn", despite just playing a damn near top 5 offense? 

Are you kidding me?

The only one's who need to not say anything are the one's who've attacked, mocked and judged this kid after (only) his first two years in the league... despite everyone and their mother knowing that once he were drafted he was drafted as a very young and raw talent and one who needed some time in order to develop into his natural athleticism to begin with. You guys are relentless and ruthless. 

Those are the only one's who...

A.) Need not say anything about Darron Lee..

B.) Need to learn the definition of NFL development/experience.

C.) Learn to never overlook or underestimate the importance and value of an NFL's 3rd year. 

Darron Lee picks off a QB who just led his team to a 9-7 record behind a QB Rating of 99.3 and a dam near top 5 offense (6th) not once but twice and now he's being called out for not playing an offense worth giving a damn? Hypocritical to say the least. 

PS: He's coming off a 94 tackle, 3.0 sacks, 3 passes defended and 1 forced fumble season as only a 2nd year player. Absolutely laughable sone of your "geniuses" are...

19 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

What are you talking about? Please get a grip of reality, please. 

Since when was Detroit's offensive attack "not worth a damn"?

Matthew Stafford is a former Pro-Bowler and a damn good QB at that (QB Rating of 96.5 over the previous 3 years) and also one who (just last year) led his Lions offensive attack as the NFL's 6th ranked overall offense with 355 total yards per game and a 6th ranked NFL offensive in passing yards per game with 243 passing yards per game while Detroit's high octane offense led Detroit to a 9-7 season. 

But now us Darron Lee supporters and fans of his God given athleticism need to shut our mouth and "not say anything" until he plays an offense who's "worth a damn", despite just playing a damn near top 5 offense? 

Are you kidding me?

The only one's who need to not say anything are the one's who've attacked, mocked and judged this kid after (only) his first two years in the league... despite everyone and their mother knowing that once he were drafted he was drafted as a very young and raw talent and one who needed some time in order to develop into his natural athleticism to begin with. You guys are relentless and ruthless. 

Those are the only one's who...

A.) Need not say anything about Darron Lee..

B.) Need to learn the definition of NFL development/experience.

C.) Learn to never overlook or underestimate the importance and value of an NFL's 3rd year. 

Darron Lee picks off a QB who just led his team to a 9-7 record behind a QB Rating of 99.3 and a dam near top 5 offense (6th) not once but twice and now he's being called out for not playing an offense worth giving a damn? Hypocritical to say the least. 

PS: He's coming off a 94 tackle, 3.0 sacks, 3 passes defended and 1 forced fumble season as only a 2nd year player. Absolutely laughable sone of your "geniuses" are...

It’s laughable that you just spent an essay trying to defend Darron Lee over one good game and a lackluster 2017 season. Stafford was throwing into smothered coverage for no reason ALL night. Other QBs will not do that. Sorry.  The Lions are not a “damn near top 5 offense” they were in the 10-15 range last year and that’s without a run game. When you don’t have a run game, you are one dimensional and your opponent knows your play signals, YA, it’s different and it’s pretty ******* easy from that point on.

I need to get a grip on reality? 

Right.

right lmao.

On 9/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, Nixhead said:

Lee was good enough his first 2 years to keep his starting mlb spot on the defense. I never thought he was a bust. Never said it either. He truly needed time to develop and the Jets did it while playing him full time. Good job Bowles on this one. 

Wait, so we cant make definitive conclusions about a draft pick in two or fewer seasons?  What?

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s laughable that you just spent an essay trying to defend Darron Lee over one good game and a lackluster 2017 season. Stafford was throwing into smothered coverage for no reason ALL night. Other QBs will not do that. Sorry.  The Lions are not a “damn near top 5 offense” they were in the 10-15 range last year and that’s without a run game. When you don’t have a run game, you are one dimensional and your opponent knows your play signals, YA, it’s different and it’s pretty ******* easy from that point on.

Right.

right lmao.

If the D plays like they did on Monday other QBs will play exactly like that.  

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Right.

right lmao.

Top 10-15 range last year? Wrong, yet again.

And yup. Even without a run game they they still ranked as the 6th overall offense and a 9-7 record; and that's due to being led by Matthew Stafford himself who's posted an average QB Rating of 96.5 over the past 3 years despite being "one dimensional". 

Darron Lee just exploded against a damn near top 5 NFL offensive attack (6th to be exact) and these guys respond with "wait until he plays an offense worth a damn" absolutely pathetic. 

On 9/13/2018 at 10:48 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Darron Lee 23 years old

Darius Leonard 23

Harold Landry 22

Vander Esch 22

Rashaan Evans 22

I think with the bulk we have upfront on the DLine and Avery Williamson basically being a run-stopping machine this could let Lee do exactly what he's built for....running and hitting, disrupting short pass plays, etc.  The guy isn't tiny but he's certainly undersized for an ILB.  With Williamson and Jenkins behind guys like McClendon, Leo, etc. I think we're perfectly fine letting Lee be a heat-seaking missile back there.  I forgot that he ran 4.47 in the 40 and was faster than Vonn Miller.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think with the bulk we have upfront on the DLine and Avery Williamson basically being a run-stopping machine this could let Lee do exactly what he's built for....running and hitting, disrupting short pass plays, etc.  The guy isn't tiny but he's certainly undersized for an ILB.  With Williamson and Jenkins behind guys like McClendon, Leo, etc. I think we're perfectly fine letting Lee be a heat-seaking missile back there.  I forgot that he ran 4.47 in the 40 and was faster than Vonn Miller.

Well said man, well said. He was drafted due to elite Jonathan Vilma like athleticism, blazing speed and top notch POTENTIAL in pass coverage (for an LB). He's also going to become a tackling machine within his own right as 94 tackles last year as only a 2nd year Player was only a sign of things to come. 

But of course through the eyes of Jet fans unless you're Pro-Bowl/All-Pro/H.O.F Legendary status after (only) your 1st two seasons of play you're then labeled a bust who's not worthy of a 1st round pick despite out performing damn near every player drafted after him (including some before him). 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Love what I saw out of Lee last week.  I was not a big fan of the pick, nor was I a fan of the player during his first two years with the team.  But, what I saw on Monday night was a completely different player.  Biggest complaint I had of him coming out of OSU was lack of instincts, he always seemd to hesitate a beat before reacting to a play, which kind of offset his speed.  And more often than not he took bad angles to the ball carrier and struggled in coverage.

But on Monday night, that hesitation was gone.  I am not just talking about the 2 interceptions, but he made a couple of plays where he blew up screen passes.  He reacted quickly, took good angles to the ball and hit the ball carrier at around the line of scrimmage.  On the 2 interceptions he showed an awareness in the passing game I had not seen before.  

I get that it was only 1 game.  But for the first time since we drafted him, I am optimistic that he could be the guy that he was originally drafted to be.  Would be huge for our defense if Lee can play like this consistenlty.

Isn't he calling the defense now?

That could be a BIG reason for his awakening from an instincts standpoint.  There's a difference between standing next to Demario Davis and hearing the defense called (last season), and having to look and diagnose things yourself.  Lee may be in a position now where he's doing much more presnap analysis and thinking about the formation he's seeing rather than just "following the script."  It could be the ole "Give a man a fish vs. Teach a man to fish" situation.

In any case, keep it rolling Darron.

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Isn't he calling the defense now?

That could be a BIG reason for his awakening from an instincts standpoint.  There's a difference between standing next to Demario Davis and hearing the defense called (last season), and having to look and diagnose things yourself.  Lee may be in a position now where he's doing much more presnap analysis and thinking about the formation he's seeing rather than just "following the script."  It could be the ole "Give a man a fish vs. Teach a man to fish" situation.

In any case, keep it rolling Darron.

Thank you for that 101. I, myself was unaware he's taken over the defensive play calls as the QB of our defense so Lee being more alert and now more in tune makes sense.

However I do disagree with Lith's assessment of Lee coming out as he was absolutely raved about in regards to his read and react capabilities (natural instinct).

His performance against Alabama during the Sugar Bowl was breathtaking in that regard. 

Archived