Next Head Coach?

TxJetfan

A question for all us Jets fans...Assuming Bowles does get fired, I'm interested in who you would like to see as the next HC of the NYJ?   Please, no crazy opinions of coaches who would not even be a remote possibility such as McVay, or Kyle Shanahan, but a realistic candidate whether it be a current coordinator with another franchise or a current college HC.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

But, just to play along, John Defilippo?  James Franklin?

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

John Deflippio 

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

John Deflippo or Matt Lafleur.

I'd be good with Deflippio. James Franklin is an interesting name, not sure how I feel about that. I want no part of Lafleur, he is making the Titans offense regress.... no thanks.

I don't think he's getting fired either. If he did, I'd grab Jack Del Rio. He's a good coach, the best available one out there by far. He turned around the Raiders, developed a young QB in Carr, and had the hot team going into the 2016 playoffs before Carr got hurt. If it wasn't for Mark Davis' man crush on Gruden he'd still be there.

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I don't think he's getting fired either. If he did, I'd grab Jack Del Rio. He's a good coach, the best available one out there by far. He turned around the Raiders, developed a young QB in Carr, and had the hot team going into the 2016 playoffs before Carr got hurt. If it wasn't for Mark Davis' man crush on Gruden he'd still be there.

I hate Jack Del Rio. His work in Jacksonville was sooo bad and his teams are very undisciplined. I think he’s one of those guys that serve best as a coordinator 

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Jim shwartz. The guy might not be offensive minded like everyone else seems to want but his defenses have been golden everywhere he has gone and the guys emotions are fiery and passionate.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I want Jim as DC really badly. 

Not HC though. Dream team up would be John Deflippio at HC and Jim Schwartz as DC

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Jim shwartz. The guy might not be offensive minded like everyone else seems to want but his defenses have been golden everywhere he has gone and the guys emotions are fiery and passionate.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

My second choice after Del Rio. I can't think of anyone else right now I'd want.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I hate Jack Del Rio. His work in Jacksonville was sooo bad and his teams are very undisciplined. I think he’s one of those guys that serve best as a coordinator 

It's a polarizing choice, I get that. But I'm in charge here pal. You either fall in line, or there's the door! :box:

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I want Jim as DC really badly. 

Not HC though. Dream team up would be John Deflippio at HC and Jim Schwartz as DC

You really think DeFillipo is ready? He seems like a flavor of the month type to me. I'm nervous about the young QB/unproven HC thing. How often does a team hit on a Sean McVay?

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

You really think DeFillipo is ready? He seems like a flavor of the month type to me. I'm nervous about the young QB/unproven HC thing. How often does a team hit on a Sean McVay?

How often do retreads work?  Look at the Giants this year and their coach was a great OC.  

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I like this name a lot. Just don't think he'd leave his dream job. You'd have to offer him a ton of money to consider it, and I don't know if his heart would be in it. He loves Northwestern.

May be right...some guys get into a spot and just never want to leave. I do think the interest will be there soon, though, from both other major colleges as well as NFL. He is basically doing what David Shaw is doing without the top flight talent that Shaw gets.

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I think at the worst DeFillipo can save the offense and help Sam progress even further. He’s got a nice resume’.  Leaning on a guy like Jim Schwartz who is a great DC and former HC to take control of the defensive side so John can focus on what he does best is key to making something like that work.

Fillippo is a great offensive mind and that’s all we can ask for right now. He’s done great work wherever he has gone. I think Kirk Cousins is way better this year than he ever was in Washington. I think Carson Wentz had such an insane season last year that he should of won MVP despite not playing the final 3 games. 33 TD’s to like 7 interceptions. He’s definitely a good coach and I really fancy what he’s doing in Minnesota this year. I know he has great players to scheme around but he’s done it in a very convincing and creative  manner. 

I say it’s better than keeping Bowles, finding another defensive coach or taking one with lesser accolades. Sometimes you have to be gutsy and I feel good about a move like that.

bowles being launched is still ebbing and flowing.  he has the nice excuse of playing a rookie qb as well as the injuries to key players.  on the other hand he has the somewhat underachieving defense.  imo if they don't finish at 7-9 or above he's gone.  he'll last the season unless they lose the next 4.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think at the worst DeFillipo can save the offense and help Sam progress even further. He’s got a nice resume’.  Leaning on a guy like Jom Schwartz who is a great DC and former HC to take control of the defensive side so John can focus on what he does best is key to making something like that work.

Fillippo is a great offensive mind and that’s all we can ask for right now. He’s done great work wherever he has gone. I think Kirk Cousins is way better this year than he ever was in Washington. I think Carson Wentz had such an insane season last year that he should of won MVP despite not playing the final 3 games. 33 TD’s to like 7 interceptions. He’s definitely a good coach and I really fancy what he’s doing in Minnesota this year. I know he has great players to scheme around but he’s done it in a very convincing and create manner. 

I say it’s better than keeping Bowles, finding another defensive coach or taking one with lesser accolades. Sometimes you have to be gutsy and I feel good about a move like that.

I'll give Defillipo credit for one thing, he lands in some great spots. He and Pederson got a beast in Wentz. He's what we dream of Sam becoming. The Eagle team was also loaded, and in a weak division. He then came to another great spot in Minny. Good staff and really good roster, with a solid veteran QB in his prime. Another thing. You said you like Scwartz as DC. Isn't he already doing that job? I thought there was a rule you couldn't go after another teams coach for what would be a lateral move?

Just now, 14 in Green said:

I'll give Defillipo credit for one thing, he lands in some great spots. He and Pederson got a beast in Wentz. He's what we dream of Sam becoming. The Eagle team was also loaded, and in a weak division. He then came to another great spot in Minny. Good staff and really good roster, with a solid veteran QB in his prime. Another thing. You said you like Scwartz as DC. Isn't he already doing that job? I thought there was a rule you couldn't go after another teams coach for what would be a lateral move?

I have no idea if he is hired at the moment. Let me check... Yep, Philly Eagles. He isn’t leaving there lol.

too bad.

but as I was saying if we really wanted to put a young offensive mind like DeFilippo in that seat then we definitely have to compliment him with a nice DC who can handle his side of the ball. I get your concern with him landing in good spots and I get how that could seem like he’s not having to prove himself but it’s more about what he has done in those places that intrigues me. He’s very schematic and creative in what he does 

Archived