Next Head Coach?

TxJetfan

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Bowles will be fired after the season if they don't start to make a serious turnaround in the 2nd half of the season.  They won't do it in-season IMO.  I also think they'll hang onto Maccagnan for at least one more year, and probably give him a loud voice in hiring the next HC.  That will be Macc's last chance after running 4-5 Drafts and then hiring the next HC.  Remember, he didn't hire Bowles.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That will be Macc's last chance after running 4-5 Drafts and then hiring the next HC.  Remember, he didn't hire Bowles.

I've never understood why woody, who clearly knows nothing about football, forces gms and coaches together.  What the hell is he thinking? Particularly after the rex idzik debacle. Must be nice to be born with a silver spoon jammed where the sun don't shine and be able to screw up so often without worry.

57 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Image result for dabo swinney

Doubt he would leave college.

Longshots all, but guys that are going to be good-Joe Moorhead of Miss.St., Jeff Monken of Army, Bob Chesney of Holy Cross. Keep with the retreads, you'll get nowhere. Get the next guy who can make that leap. 

Better idea-get a club president to take Woody Johnson out of it. Bill Cowher, Jerry Reese(who would very much like to make the other team in the market look very bad) , Ron Wolf's kid.Let that guy get either a GM or scouting director, and a HC, all answering to him.  Because that's the core problem; the Johnson brothers want to be involved, and they don't know diddly about football. 

15 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I've never understood why woody, who clearly knows nothing about football, forces gms and coaches together.  What the hell is he thinking? Particularly after the rex idzik debacle. Must be nice to be born with a silver spoon jammed where the sun don't shine and be able to screw up so often without worry.

The core problem. 

Mike Westhoff, but he's 70 now. If you can't guarantee greatness then he would guarantee discipline.

It's a good question, who would you pick. All very easy to say sack the coach, all very hard to be certain the replacement is any better.

The OC and DC to me are out of it. Jeremy Bates still hasn't proven he's a top OC let alone a head coach. And Kacy Rodgers is in the same boat, even less ready.

It's a thin list of current NFL staff, John DeFilippo probably headlines it. So I'm thinking you go to the college ranks and make serious offers to only top head coaches there.

I'm less certain of this game of picking the current hot coordinator in the NFL in a hope he's the next Tuna.

I think Bowles is going to get fired. I am not sure his heart is in it. He had a tragedy last offseason and now with Kacy having a scare he is probably ready to just enjoy life. Not saying he isn't working hard, but when he gets fired I don't think he is going to be all that upset. He is a guy that doesn't look to work in football again (imo).

Assuming Bowles gets fired, here is my hope:

1. The Browns hire a new head coach and let Gregg Williams go

2. The Jets hire John Deflippio as the new head coach

3. The Jets hire Gregg Williams to run the defense here

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think at the worst DeFillipo can save the offense and help Sam progress even further. He’s got a nice resume’.  Leaning on a guy like Jom Schwartz who is a great DC and former HC to take control of the defensive side so John can focus on what he does best is key to making something like that work.

Fillippo is a great offensive mind and that’s all we can ask for right now. He’s done great work wherever he has gone. I think Kirk Cousins is way better this year than he ever was in Washington. I think Carson Wentz had such an insane season last year that he should of won MVP despite not playing the final 3 games. 33 TD’s to like 7 interceptions. He’s definitely a good coach and I really fancy what he’s doing in Minnesota this year. I know he has great players to scheme around but he’s done it in a very convincing and create manner. 

I say it’s better than keeping Bowles, finding another defensive coach or taking one with lesser accolades. Sometimes you have to be gutsy and I feel good about a move like that.

I agree with DiFillipo, he is young, 40, and has a great offensive mind. The Jets asked Philly to talk to him about the OC position but were denied. I would like to see him as HC, keep McKown as QB coach and hire a good DC, Swartz would be a good decision. Lets get a GM here to draft the talent and get some FAs to help Sam develop. I think the future would look a lot better than it does right now...

4 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

His defense is actually pretty consistently bottom of the barrel.  25th ranked last season and 24th ranked this year.  

i'm willing to give him the excuse that he only now has the players he wants and the play of the offense is affecting the defense up to a point.  the defense needs to step up and make big plays and they have been few and far between.  they will not win many games without a significantly positive turnover ratio.

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Bowles should also be fired right before the bye, to give Jeremt Bates an audtion as HC or to even possibly remain as OC for whatever HC comes in next.

I don't like letting the coach go mid season; I also don't like the whole 'interim' and 'audition' thing. When a coach is let go and an existing coach gets the shot, the team rallies around the coach. That causes two problems: a bad team wins more games than it should and the draft pick is worse (there is a diff. between tanking and messing up the pick); it also makes the interim look better than he might be - the result - the team is now stuck with another HC that stays too long. 

I think at the point Bowles is a goner (maybe just wishful thinking) - but we should do it right; wait until the end of the season if we can, and do a quality search. After the last few coaches, and seeing how well the Rams (and their QB) are doing, I have been converted and wish for an offensive minded coach - our new QB deserves that and so do the fans. 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think Bowles is going to get fired. I am not sure his heart is in it. He had a tragedy last offseason and now with Kacy having a scare he is probably ready to just enjoy life. Not saying he isn't working hard, but when he gets fired I don't think he is going to be all that upset. He is a guy that doesn't look to work in football again (imo).

I'm good with this!!!

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I'd like that. 

8 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He's not getting fired.  We can debate whether he should or should not be fired, but he's not getting fired.

But, just to play along, John Defilippo?  James Franklin?

Start of the year- I didn’t think he was getting sacked. Regardless of my feelings about him and his shortcomings- they aren’t bringing him back. I’d take that bet.

8 hours ago, section314 said:

May be right...some guys get into a spot and just never want to leave. I do think the interest will be there soon, though, from both other major colleges as well as NFL. He is basically doing what David Shaw is doing without the top flight talent that Shaw gets.

Northwestern just sank 250 Million dollars into a state of the art football practice facility which should be a recruiting game changer for him. Hes pretty much got a lifetime job at a school that is thrilled to win eight games. Why would he give that up to go to the NFL or one of these blue blood fishbowl jobs where they can you after one bad season? He and Shaw arent idiots. 

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

That would be a dream come true. 

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think that Bowles will be fired after the season if they don't start to make a serious turnaround in the 2nd half of the season.  They won't do it in-season IMO.  I also think they'll hang onto Maccagnan for at least one more year, and probably give him a loud voice in hiring the next HC.  That will be Macc's last chance after running 4-5 Drafts and then hiring the next HC.  Remember, he didn't hire Bowles.

This is what I’m thinking as well. At least the next HC wont get cold feet about potentially not getting a fair shake. The Jets have giving Bowles every opportunity to succeed. He has had the opportunity to hire 3 offensive coordinators. Nobody forced him to fire his DC. We didn’t cutoff his left or right arm like some teams do to their HC. 

15 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Cleveland, with players like Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward, has a worst ranked defense than the Jets, in terms of both yards and points per game, and yet we have fans who pine for Gregg Williams. Interesting. 

They’re number 2 in defensive DVOA. I’ve watched them play twice including the game against the Jets, Cleveland’s defense is better than the Jets defense. 2 games is a small sample but they look tougher than our D.

22 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I don't think he's getting fired either. If he did, I'd grab Jack Del Rio. He's a good coach, the best available one out there by far. He turned around the Raiders, developed a young QB in Carr, and had the hot team going into the 2016 playoffs before Carr got hurt. If it wasn't for Mark Davis' man crush on Gruden he'd still be there.

If Carr doesn’t break his leg two years ago they beat the Texans in the wildcard game and Del Rio is still the HC

23 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Highly unlikely to get him but I'd offer Saban the Gruden deal.

Other than what's already been discussed I'd really sniff around the Chiefs. Eric Bieniemy & Dave Toub are guys I'd consider.

I saw him first hand in Miami I don't think his tactics work in Pro football. I used to live around 3 miles from the Fins practice facility and would run into players that did not seem to like very much by their reactions

4 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I saw him first hand in Miami I don't think his tactics work in Pro football. I used to live around 3 miles from the Fins practice facility and would run into players that did not seem to like very much by their reactions

I don't pretend to know what happened in Miami but that was a lifetime ago. He's had a lot of experience and done a lot of winning since then. I realize there's a big difference between college and the pros but is there a more qualified candidate for a NFL HC gig that doesn't already have one?

I'd give him a lot of control over personnel too. But again, I don't think it's even a remote possibility.

Archived