Next Head Coach?

TxJetfan

23 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Highly unlikely to get him but I'd offer Saban the Gruden deal.

Other than what's already been discussed I'd really sniff around the Chiefs. Eric Bieniemy & Dave Toub are guys I'd consider.

Saban was very impressive in his Dolphin gig, so yeah let's give him the keys to the Jets kingdom. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Saban was very impressive in his Dolphin gig, so yeah let's give him the keys to the Jets kingdom. 

That was over a decade ago. He's only won 5 NCAA National Championships since then and will win another one this year. People grow and learn from mistakes. If anyone deserves a second chance at the NFL it's Saban.

48 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't pretend to know what happened in Miami but that was a lifetime ago. He's had a lot of experience and done a lot of winning since then. I realize there's a big difference between college and the pros but is there a more qualified candidate for a NFL HC gig that doesn't already have one?

I'd give him a lot of control over personnel too. But again, I don't think it's even a remote possibility.

I would stay away the fans and players did not like the guy or his drafts. It was almost toxic the way he left was not really professional either

an example

https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/1/3/14155182/nick-saban-alabama-quits-miami-dolphins-ten-years-ago

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That was over a decade ago. He's only won 5 NCAA National Championships since then and will win another one this year. People grow and learn from mistakes. If anyone deserves a second chance at the NFL it's Saban.

People forget what Pete Carroll has done.

I think had saban stayed he would have succeeded. He's the best coach in the sport and would have a chip on his shoulder from the Miami experience.  I would be doing cartwheels if we could get someone like him but I doubt at his age that he tries the NFL again. 

25 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I would stay away the fans and players did not like the guy or his drafts. It was almost toxic the way he left was not really professional either

an example

https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/1/3/14155182/nick-saban-alabama-quits-miami-dolphins-ten-years-ago

It was unprofessional because Saban is an insane competitor and wanted to sign Brees.  The incompetent miami doctors failed Brees on his physical and he got stuck with Dante Culpepper instead.

The guy holds people accountable, understands defense, and understands what it takes to win.  He isnt coming here but if he would, give him whatever he wants.

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There's no debating his success at the the college level, but maybe that's where he belongs.  He is 67 and it is a little late in the game to get a second chance.  The Jets should hire a coach 20 years younger.

15 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Some names I haven't seen mentioned

Pete Carmichael jr

Jim Bob cooter

David Shaw

Chris Peterson

Josh McDaniels

I was scanning through and surprised no one mentioned McDaniels.

I realize it is a long shot considering BB's hatred for the Jets, but it would be negligence not to kick the tires and see if he was interested.  I don't think a better candidate exists. He checks all the boxes and already has HC experience.

I don't think it's a fait accompli that Bowles will be gone.  I think the Jets will win their next two games to get back to .500 football.  After that it really depends on getting the injured guys back.  At that point the narrative changes completely.  5-5 and in the race is big.  And then comes the bye week and a time to heal.  If Tru, Skrine and Maye stay healthy and the defense plays the way it did against Chicago and for 3 quarters against Minny, Bowles could get this team to 7 wins.  If Q and Anderson come back and the offense plays the way it did against Denver then he stays.  Miami is a HUGE game for us.  We typically play them well down there (and often lose to them at MetLife).  

There are some positives to be taken from the last two games.  Sheppard has stepped up his play.  Herndon is really good.  And Cannon has a role on this team.  That's more than can be said of the previous few drafts.

24 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I was scanning through and surprised no one mentioned McDaniels.

I realize it is a long shot considering BB's hatred for the Jets, but it would be negligence not to kick the tires and see if he was interested.  I don't think a better candidate exists. He checks all the boxes and already has HC experience.

Oh yeah I completely trust Josh’s mcDaniels. It’s not like he hates the Jets and he didn’t just leave a team at the alter to stay in New England.....

17 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I don't think it's a fait accompli that Bowles will be gone.  I think the Jets will win their next two games to get back to .500 football.  After that it really depends on getting the injured guys back.  At that point the narrative changes completely.  5-5 and in the race is big.  If Tru, Skrine and Maye stay healthy and the defense plays the way it did against Chicago and for 3 quarters against Minny, Bowles could get this team to 7 wins.  If Q and Anderson come back and the offense plays the way it did against Denver then he stays.  Miami is a HUGE game for us.  We typically play them well down there (and often lose to them at MetLife).  

There are some positives to be taken from the last two games.  Sheppard has stepped up his play.  Herndon is really good.  And Cannon has a role on this team.  That's more than can be said of the previous few drafts.

That's a lotta IFS

15 hours ago, GreenFish said:

My short list would Carmichael, Lafleur, and Defilippo. 

Get a 4-3 defensive coordinator. I’m tired of this 3-4, 2-5 blah crap.

They could finally put Lee where he belongs and that's as a 4-3 OLB. 

I really hope they bring in a younger offensive mind.  That is the direction the NFL is moving.  These old school HC's are like dinosaurs right now unless you have Brady.  I also want a younger GM b/c they seem to be much more aggressive in trades and free agency then these older guys. 

The Jets are not signing Saban.  He'd be crazy to leave the situation he has now and the Jets would be even crazier to sign a 67 year old head coach.  IF Bowles is fired, then an offensive assistant will take over.  John DeFilippo or Pete Carmichael are going to be hot coaches in the off-season and with a franchise QB to work with and lots of cap space, the Jets will be a team coaches will want to coach.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:02 PM, BCJet said:

It was unprofessional because Saban is an insane competitor and wanted to sign Brees.  The incompetent miami doctors failed Brees on his physical and he got stuck with Dante Culpepper instead.

The guy holds people accountable, understands defense, and understands what it takes to win.  He isnt coming here but if he would, give him whatever he wants.

sorry but need to disagree, there is way to leave a job one day he says he isn't leaving the next day he quits? Sorry but it would seem good coaches when faced with adversity of signing an injured qb would stay and fight through it. Not saying he is not a great college coach but he lacks in the nfl and that shows it. I not against holding people accountable but there . There is reason teams have drs. The chargers just drafted Rivers but could have reigned him but did not either because of the injury. When Saban gets Dr. I would listen to him on injuries  until get three different opinions on them

Oh for the love of ... Does he think leather helmets are going to make a comeback, too?

On 10/30/2018 at 1:32 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

Big difference between coaching college kids and millionaire Pro players.. Many College coaches can't adjust to the difference.. 

On 10/30/2018 at 4:11 PM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Another name I don't think anyone mentioned...

Bruce Arians

I love B.A. Had the chance to meet him here in Arizona.  He'd be great but he's done.....health issues and age are starting to work against him.  If Bates was our problem (I don't think he is) I'd suggest BA for OC which would set up a very interesting situation since he was the HC in Arizona and Bowles was his DC.  BA is the quarterback whisperer, he brought along Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, etc.  He turbo-charged the Cardinals offense and revitalized Carson Palmer, helping him to his 2 best seasons as a Pro.  I'd love him here to work with Darnold and offense, even as a consultant but again, I don't have major problems with how Bates has done and what he's doing with Sam.  The Jets offense simply has no bullets in its gun....I can't blame the guy firing the weapon when we're shooting blanks!

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Big difference between coaching college kids and millionaire Pro players.. Many College coaches can't adjust to the difference.. 

Exactly, coaching some 20 year olds are living away from home for the first time and just becoming men is much different.  College coaches become father figures to these kids and can easily use both the carrot and the stick.  When you yell at a college player they listen and either melt or get motivated.  You can mold those guys.

Then you get to the Pros and you're a rookie HC who is trying to tell a veteran player who makes $20M more than you do that they need to be early to practice and that they should run extra laps because they're dogging it at Training Camp.  Good luck!

Don't watch college football but have been googling around for a while and David Shaw and Chris Peterson keep popping up.

I know Shaw has resisted in the past but perhaps one of these 2 can be lured by Darnold, 100 mil, and some cold hard cash.

I don't want another first time coach.

We need an experienced, offensive-minded, coach who will do what's best for Sam.

Couple articles I read on Peterson were really complimentary of him as an innovative offensive coach who is very detail oriented and a great guy.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:40 AM, TxJetfan said:

A question for all us Jets fans...Assuming Bowles does get fired, I'm interested in who you would like to see as the next HC of the NYJ?   Please, no crazy opinions of coaches who would not even be a remote possibility such as McVay, or Kyle Shanahan, but a realistic candidate whether it be a current coordinator with another franchise or a current college HC.

No college HC with the exception of jimmy Johnson has ever made a good NFL HC.

F it. If we are going to settle and never get over any humps, just bring Rex back. GM or president of football establishes the identity of this team that we are offense first with resources and do not play conservative.

Give Rex a QB and a good offensive coordinator and just cross your fingers. He can scheme up any deficiencies on D from lack of players. The offense will compensate. It’s the best that this sh*t organization can do. At least he can motivate players. I do not know what else is out there and I do not want to go through another Bowles like era with some other first time coach. 

On 10/30/2018 at 2:18 PM, BettyBoop said:

The Jets are not signing Saban.  He'd be crazy to leave the situation he has now and the Jets would be even crazier to sign a 67 year old head coach.  IF Bowles is fired, then an offensive assistant will take over.  John DeFilippo or Pete Carmichael are going to be hot coaches in the off-season and with a franchise QB to work with and lots of cap space, the Jets will be a team coaches will want to coach.

The problem with Carmicheal is that we really don't know how good of a OC he is. We all know that Sean Payton is running that show. 

Archived