Next Head Coach?

TxJetfan

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

bowles being launched is still ebbing and flowing.  he has the nice excuse of playing a rookie qb as well as the injuries to key players.  on the other hand he has the somewhat underachieving defense.  imo if they don't finish at 7-9 or above he's gone.  he'll last the season unless they lose the next 4.

His defense is actually pretty consistently bottom of the barrel.  25th ranked last season and 24th ranked this year.  

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You simply cant keep Mac if you fire Bowles because no HC candidate in their right mind would come into a situation where the GM could be fired a year after youre hired.  These guys need to be a packaged deal.  

The move to make is to fire Mac, promote Brian Hermdinger and have him hire a coach who reports to him.  Matt Lafleur is 38 years old and has enough experience under very good head coaches to make the jump to HC and his age would work well with someone like Hermdinger who is only 32.  

Hermdinger being internal can also help to keep some assistant coaches as he will know they pretty well, and let Lafleur bring in his own OC.

54 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I would imagine with the amount of times we've been tied to DeFillipo for OC that we'd make a hard run at him for HC... but I don't think Bowles gets fired at the end of this season.

Bowles is the one that has wanted him. Eagles denied him permission. 

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

You simply cant keep Mac if you fire Bowles because no HC candidate in their right mind would come into a situation where the GM could be fired a year after youre hired.  These guys need to be a packaged deal.  

The move to make is to fire Mac, promote Brian Hermdinger and have him hire a coach who reports to him.  Matt Lafleur is 38 years old and has enough experience under very good head coaches to make the jump to HC and his age would work well with someone like Hermdinger who is only 32.  

Hermdinger being internal can also help to keep some assistant coaches as he will know they pretty well, and let Lafleur bring in his own OC.

Agree. If you do this, do it right.  GM and HC both come in with a clean slate.  Besides, it’s not like Maccagnan has been so stellar that you are uneasy about losing him.  

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

DeFilipo...LaFleur...Dan Campbell...Pete Carmichael 

The issue with Campbell is that he is not a play caller nor has he ever been the main guy to coordinate an offense, he was TE coach in miami before getting the interim HC spot (for 10 games which is good experience) and then has been behind peyton and carmichael.

There really needs to be someone evaluating Bates as a QB coach, mentor to darnold, and even as a playcaller because if we did need to find a coach who holds people accountable and who can be more aggressive on offense, but want to keep continuity then keeping Bates/Dennison and augmenting their offense with someone like Campbell's knowledge from New Orleans could be a good solution.

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The issue with Campbell is that he is not a play caller nor has he ever been the main guy to coordinate an offense, he was TE coach in miami before getting the interim HC spot (for 10 games which is good experience) and then has been behind peyton and carmichael.

There really needs to be someone evaluating Bates as a QB coach, mentor to darnold, and even as a playcaller because if we did need to find a coach who holds people accountable and who can be more aggressive on offense, but want to keep continuity then keeping Bates/Dennison and augmenting their offense with someone like Campbell's knowledge from New Orleans could be a good solution.

I'm not sure I want to hire another former dolphins interim head coach.  

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He's not getting fired.  We can debate whether he should or should not be fired, but he's not getting fired.

But, just to play along, John Defilippo?  James Franklin?

With the Jackson firing today I think it opens the door wider for the Johnsons to follow suit if this team continues in its downward spiral.  The Browns nemesis are the Steelers. Ours are the Dolphins.  Another embarrassing loss this year to them could seal Bowles fate. Its not so much our record that's disturbing, its more the lackadaisical effort this team puts forth week in week out. We are getting beaten in every facet of the game. It would be a great message to the fans, Macc and our new QB that we are committed to winning.  Macc I believe is safe but it would be great if they fire Bowles in season should he lose yet again to the Dolphins.       

As far as who's our next head coach? Find an OC that's lighting it up in the NFL. The Rams OC or Chiefs OC would be interesting starting points.

17 minutes ago, BCJet said:

You’re completely right about Campbell. He needs to hire strong coordinators if he is to become a HC. I’d rather our HC be someone who has developed QB’s, called plays, and can call plays whenever or whoever our OC is.

At least with Campbell he seems like someone who will hold everyone, including coaches accountable. As far as Bates goes, I’m not sure how much influence Bowles is having on offensive gameplans, and play calling... but we don’t even try and push it down field. It’s brutal, unimaginative, and becoming a waste of time.

28 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

DeFilipo...LaFleur...Dan Campbell...Pete Carmichael 

this is the second time i have see LaFleur's name. I have to object. This guy is making the TItan's offense look even worse than it was before he took over there. No thanks..

Just now, Stark said:

this is the second time i have see LaFleur's name. I have to object. This guy is making the TItan's offense look even worse than it was before he took over there. No thanks..

Agree. Plus, he was only OC in name only with the Rams.  McVey was calling the plays there, so this year is the first time he’s been calling an offense.  

I hate to say it but I think we are stuck with Mac and Bowles for next year too. They will both be fired during or at the end of the 2019 season.

Even if we have to endure another poorly coached season, it will set a solid tone that the organization with allow the new GM and coach time to implement their own personnel. (For the sake of my sanity please let the GM pick his coach!).

We’d probably miss out in DeFilipo as he will surely get a lot of attention this offseason.

Maybe John Harbaugh is fired this year and he goes the tv route to double dip on the salary?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

This is from www.turnonthejets.comm on Lafleur

The Titans current offense is ranked 30th overall in LeFleur’s first season calling plays, but you need to look at some other numbers to really see the job he is doing: the Titans are currently top 10 in both plays per drive and time per drive, and QB Marcus Mariota increased his completion percentage from 62 percent to a career-high 66 percent. He helped develop Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins, and this experience will make him incredibly appealing to a team like the Jets who want someone to develop their young QB.

21 minutes ago, Stark said:

Mariota hasn’t been great and has been hurt. Their team is also lacking on talent. He’s definitely a name to consider. 

43 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is from www.turnonthejets.comm on Lafleur

The Titans current offense is ranked 30th overall in LeFleur’s first season calling plays, but you need to look at some other numbers to really see the job he is doing: the Titans are currently top 10 in both plays per drive and time per drive, and QB Marcus Mariota increased his completion percentage from 62 percent to a career-high 66 percent. He helped develop Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins, and this experience will make him incredibly appealing to a team like the Jets who want someone to develop their young QB.

we are going to have to disagree. He helped Matt Ryan with Shanahan. I don't believe in him much at all. 

Gil Brandt 

There's a multitude of good NFL coaching candidates. If I was hiring, here's what my short list would look like:

1. Jim Schwartz, PHI DC
2. Dave Toub, KC ST coach
3. Kris Richard, DAL DB coach
4. Matt Eberflus, IND DC
5. Lincoln Riley, OKLA HC
6. Jeremy Bates, NYJ OC

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He's not getting fired.  We can debate whether he should or should not be fired, but he's not getting fired.

But, just to play along, John Defilippo?  James Franklin?

If the Jets lose to the Bills, there's a very, very good chance he will be fired.

Archived