Why does our D suck so badly?

Freemanm

Seriously, there are teams, player-for-player, that have the same if less talent level than us and yet have better defenses (Patriots included). We have a D-oriented coach. Why is it that there always seems to be a wide open receiver 15-20 yds downfield against our D? Why is it that all opposing RBs have to do is turn the corner and get huge runs against us? Why can’t our D get big stops in the 4Q?

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

I think they are tired and beaten down from being on the field all game and they commit way too many penalties because they are very poorly coached. 

They really don't suck. 

Whats your definition of suck sir?  They are 21st in total defense.  When do we get to the “suck” tier?

3 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Most of it is bad scheme.  Part of it is just the plain fact that offenses are better and penalties are geared to help offenses more.

There were a ton of blown coverages today as well. Plus this defense is just bad to average at everything. They don’t really have standout players that teams need to account for just a bunch of solid depth players thrust into starting jobs. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The D brought the heat today penalties killed them and the fact that they didn't force turnovers. 

They don't suck. 

Wasnt really talking about just today.  The OP posed a general question about our D.  My question is where is the line for you to say our defense sucks?  They are clearly in the bottom half of the league in defense.  Its not a bad take to say that they suck.

9 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Whats your definition of suck sir?  They are 21st in total defense.  When do we get to the “suck” tier?

Ranking doesn’t tell the story. They are mediocre to ok - until it really matters. Then they fold 

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Lack of communication in the secondary combined with less then stellar cornerback play and no true pass rushing closer

I think its more of a lack of preparation.  I think Adams is definitely communicating and making sure everyone else is also.  Whether they are communicating the right plays and what not is up for debate.

Just now, Xtina said:

Ranking doesn’t tell the story. They are mediocre to ok - until it really matters. Then they fold 

Ranking doesnt tell the full story but it definitely tells a story.  You cant tell me anyone ranked 21st in the league is a good defense just like you cant tell me anyone ranked top 10 is a bad defense.  Lets not get cute when stats are right in front of us.  Im not saying they suck but they certainly arent good.

The problem with the defense is they are short on talent!!! The dline is good but not that good because Leonard Williams needs help. He needs someone else to compliment him on the dline because he can't do it all by himself. But a very good oline can take out your dline easily because the Jets need and have been needing a pass rushing OLB for years. Having zero pressure from the outside gives the QB plenty of time to pick the secondary apart.

The other problem is the defensive coach doesn't put the players in position to create plays. He has no imagination to create blitz packages to pressure the QB.

31 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Seriously, there are teams, player-for-player, that have the same if less talent than us and have better defenses (Patriots included). We have a D-oriented coach. Why is it that there always seems to be a receiver wide open 15-20 yds downfield against our D? Why is it that all opposing RBs have to do is turn the corner and get huge runs against us?

BOWLES!!!!

Next Question!!

Damn I'm on fire today

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Insert an EDGE RUSHER and it changes this D instantly you cannot give any QB  the time Aaron Rodgers had today especially in the 4th quarter and in OT. 

Yup. you bring in a guy like Clowney and all of sudden the CB's do not have to cover as long and you don't have to keep sending guys on blitzes.

They should spend or draft what it takes to get a guy like that.

55 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I think they are tired and beaten down from being on the field all game and they commit way too many penalties because they are very poorly coached. 

They really don't suck. 

Today the offense was fine and dandy even if they went dead late in the game. Defense needed to make just one decent stand and they couldn't do it. 

41 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Ranking doesnt tell the full story but it definitely tells a story.  You cant tell me anyone ranked 21st in the league is a good defense just like you cant tell me anyone ranked top 10 is a bad defense.  Lets not get cute when stats are right in front of us.  Im not saying they suck but they certainly arent good.

Thank you for agreeing with me 

Poor adjustments to formations and personnel. Posted this in the game thread. Setting the line to the back is one example. Makes the down safety  have to fold into the B gap while also having to cover the slot. Playing in one high a good amount of the time, leaving tons of one on one matchups, and eliminating a box player because the backside down safety doesn't have a good run fit angle when down. Setting Adams to the strength with trips into the boundary, motion to the backside leaving a slot on the Will. Just poorly schemed football. 

This stuff is nothing new. It all started with the 4-3 Over front to defend the spread in the 50s.

"The spread offense is nothing new." 

-Coach Meyer 

Dutch Meyer,  TCU, 1952...

Archived