Ok...I'm convinced.

Jetster

If they hire a name Coach I think the "l don't want to play there" stuff goes out the window. Of course I am talking about McCarthy or Ariens.

Bell? I make him an offer and if he doesn't take it so be it. I personally don't think Bell comes here because there are other teams with cap space closer to contention than the Jets are. No matter what spin you put on it that is a fact and it will be a factor in any major signing. Sucks but it's the truth.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If he was 23 yes but he’s 27. It’s pushing it. 

They need to start with the Oline. 

Which o-linmen are you going to sign with that money? or better yet - which O-linemen are we going to need to pass on because we signed Bell?

Guys, I get it- he's a risk and it's a lot to pay a RB...but...you have to spend the money somewhere and the Jets talent is so bad that we have none of our own players to pay. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Except that the Jets NEVER find that guy and there's no reason to assume that Mac is up to the task.  Signing Bell is Mac proof!

Crowelln McGuire and Cannon are fine. It's more about scheme, opportunity and oline.

Get a another good WR, let Sam develop another offseason...  Defenses will back out of the box and we're set.

Without dropping 20mil per on a RB who gets injured often enough.

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

If they hire a name Coach I think the "l don't want to play there" stuff goes out the window. Of course I am talking about McCarthy or Ariens.

Bell? I make him an offer and if he doesn't take it so be it. I personally don't think Bell comes here because there are other teams with cap space closer to contention than the Jets are. No matter what spin you put on it that is a fact and it will be a factor in any major signing. Sucks but it's the truth.

I think the success of Darnold over the past 3 weeks has already solved that.  and yes, combine that with a top their coach and the cap space - and I don't see that being a problem anymore.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Crowelln McGuire and Cannon are fine. It's more about scheme, opportunity and oline.

Get a another good WR, let Sam develop another offseason...  Defenses will back out of the box and we're set.

Without dropping 20mil per on a RB who gets injured often enough.

I disagree.  Crowell, McGuire, and Cannon are not fine. None of them stepped up this year like some of the other 2nd tier backs like Damien Williams, James Conner, Justin Jackson, Josh Adams, etc...Our group is average at best and we are in need of a major upgrade IMO.

22 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Anyone watch KC last night?

Mid season:  Hunt is one of the NFL's best stars!

Couple weeks ago:  Ware is awesome!

Last 2 weeks:  Who needs Hunt/Ware?  We have Damien Williams!

Backup:  West looks pretty good too.

Dumb to waste big money on a RB.

We had West on our team this year and cut him.

There’s no such thing as a shutdown secondary in the NFL anymore. Rules have changed, it’s a league geared toward scoring points. To win you need to have an offense that can keep up and a DE/LB or two who can get to the QB and force an occasional turnover. Worrying about cornerbacks is futile. 

44 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

When you have the QB , its all about scheme , mindset and coaching. which of those 3 do the Jets have under Bowles. 

20 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

There’s no such thing as a shutdown secondary in the NFL anymore. Rules have changed, it’s a league geared toward scoring points. To win you need to have an offense that can keep up and a DE/LB or two who can get to the QB and force an occasional turnover. Worrying about cornerbacks is futile. 

Especially when our current defensive mastermind has them playing in another zipcode from the line of scrimmage.

36 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

We scored 38 freaking points & were up by 15 with 12 minutes left! You don't need shutdown CBs but you need at least 1 guy that can make 1 freaking play! My god.

46 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I disagree.  Crowell, McGuire, and Cannon are not fine. None of them stepped up this year like some of the other 2nd tier backs like Damien Williams, James Conner, Justin Jackson, Josh Adams, etc...Our group is average at best and we are in need of a major upgrade IMO.

Hunt Ware and Williams would have been mediocre on the Jets.

While Cro McGuire and Cannon would have been great in KC.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

His pay day will go way down when the NY Jets with a brand new coaching staff announce, Jets not interested in Le'veon Bell. When that announcement comes, there will be no other team that will make up that 14 million he turned down last year. 

I would personally love Bell but watching these back up RBs making plays all over the league has me thinking we need to just draft our own. If we can sign a free agent center & maybe someone like Trent Brown away from the Patriots, we could use our 3rd round picks for RB & WR. Darnold is so young, we've got time to do this right. 

it's like bart scott said on the post game.  they need a pass rush then they can move on from high priced corners like johnson and claiborne.  

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Watching Todd Bowles defense give up the easiest 44 points Green Bay has ever scored has convinced me that Le'veon Bell is a luxury the Jets can't afford. Right now we're spending over 23 million for Clairborne-Johnson-Skrine. Skrine is gone, Clairborne is DONE, the guy has lost that half step that makes him a target every single game & has Trumaine Johnson shown up in NY yet? 

Anyone that believes for one moment that this horrible secondary doesn't have Todd Bowles influence all over it hasn't been paying attention since this guy was named Head Coach. No resources have been poured into any other position group on this team than have been spent on this secondary! Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, Clairborne, Johnson, Adams, Maye. 

While this offense needs help badly, we need better CBs & some pass rushers way before we spend 16/17 million for Bell. Yesterday hammered that point home again. The reason for my change of heart regarding Bell is the development of Sam Darnold & the needs are far greater in other areas of the team. Oline has to be #1, pass rushers #2, Weapons for Sam #3. 

We'll never get off the field with the time QBs get to survey the field & the lack of speed & quickness we have on the backend of this defense. When you lose games scoring 38 points, your the old New Orleans Saints. I think Darnold will be the type of QB that makes good players, much better. We just need more GOOD players. Kearse is finished, Enunwa can't stay healthy, and Anderson is 2/3 WR. 

I'm now in the sign Tevin Coleman for much less, than paying Bell a small fortune. I want long term success & the Johnson contract has proven free agent mistakes have long term consequences. Put together a GOOD group of team players, and start drafting some young offensive skill players in this upcoming draft. Draft edge rusher if we can't trade out & finish the draft with offense. If we can trade down, it would be nice have an extra pick to take a WR (Deebo Samuel?), and a RB. We have to find some players to GROW UP with Darnold. 

I won't bitch if we sign Bell, but thinking more long term & how many holes this team has, I think we can fix this team by spreading our money around on Oline & CB, and get more bang for the buck. I think a new coaching staff will feel the same.

More cornerbacks and safeties.  Got it!

Let's see which ones Jim Harbaugh picks.

:D 

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

More cornerbacks and safeties.  Got it!

Let's see which ones Jim Harbaugh picks.

:D 

Nope, didn’t say Safeties, lol. Mo has got to be replaced with a younger faster CB, he’s terrible!

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Watching Todd Bowles defense give up the easiest 44 points Green Bay has ever scored has convinced me that Le'veon Bell is a luxury the Jets can't afford. Right now we're spending over 23 million for Clairborne-Johnson-Skrine. Skrine is gone, Clairborne is DONE, the guy has lost that half step that makes him a target every single game & has Trumaine Johnson shown up in NY yet? 

Anyone that believes for one moment that this horrible secondary doesn't have Todd Bowles influence all over it hasn't been paying attention since this guy was named Head Coach. No resources have been poured into any other position group on this team than have been spent on this secondary! Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, Clairborne, Johnson, Adams, Maye. 

While this offense needs help badly, we need better CBs & some pass rushers way before we spend 16/17 million for Bell. Yesterday hammered that point home again. The reason for my change of heart regarding Bell is the development of Sam Darnold & the needs are far greater in other areas of the team. Oline has to be #1, pass rushers #2, Weapons for Sam #3. 

We'll never get off the field with the time QBs get to survey the field & the lack of speed & quickness we have on the backend of this defense. When you lose games scoring 38 points, your the old New Orleans Saints. I think Darnold will be the type of QB that makes good players, much better. We just need more GOOD players. Kearse is finished, Enunwa can't stay healthy, and Anderson is 2/3 WR. 

I'm now in the sign Tevin Coleman for much less, than paying Bell a small fortune. I want long term success & the Johnson contract has proven free agent mistakes have long term consequences. Put together a GOOD group of team players, and start drafting some young offensive skill players in this upcoming draft. Draft edge rusher if we can't trade out & finish the draft with offense. If we can trade down, it would be nice have an extra pick to take a WR (Deebo Samuel?), and a RB. We have to find some players to GROW UP with Darnold. 

I won't bitch if we sign Bell, but thinking more long term & how many holes this team has, I think we can fix this team by spreading our money around on Oline & CB, and get more bang for the buck. I think a new coaching staff will feel the same.

"FINALLY"  someone gets it,  Thank you,

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Worrying about cornerbacks "IS" futile,  mostly because WE DON'T HAVE ANY !  At this point "shutting down" the secondary seems like a pretty good idea, because it doesn't work.

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Oddly enough, I feel like watching the last 2 weeks has pulled me towards paying Bell. 

There is simply no offensive player worth taking in the top 5.  Yes Jawaan Taylor could make a leap as the top LT, but other then that this is the draft to solidify edge rusher with Josh Allen in the first round.  We need speed and the ability to rush the passer and that is what he brings to the table.

Now, the question is what to do offensively.  Well Sam just put up 340 and 38 points with Eli McGuire as his RB and the same WRs that everyone has complained about all year.  Robby is showing the type of player he can be and herndon is progressing into a weapon as well.  On top of that, the FA WR market isn't great, and we have beyond enough money to afford 3 overpaid years of Bell.  Id love to see the team pay Bell and a C/G in FA and then draft another 2 lineman with our 3rd or 4th round picks.  This draft is pretty deep with the interior OLine and we can hopefully find good developmental lineman in the mid rounds to help the offense.  

Sam and a competent HC/OC will take care of the rest

I think obtaining a RB when the OL can't run block is absurdly wasteful. Current Jets RBs have shown what happens when you attempt to be a rush-first team with a poor run-blocking OL. It's wasteful and it kills RBs. Look at what it's done to Powell, Crowell, the guys before them. What's Bell doing to do when defenses are in the backfield?

The NFL is a passing league now. Anyone can make yards rushing when you have an effective passing game? Why bother spending money on a name to get the same production? I'd rather somehow beef up the OL so that it becomes more powerful and technically sound. How that's done is not as important as that it gets done.

The people whining about defense don't seem to get that yesterday's game was interesting because of the offense's development. The Jets lost but I'll take this kind of loss instead of the offensive bore-ball the Jets are known for.

Anyway, I kind of agree with your post but I think the objective should be to build the OL, whatever it takes. That's what makes an offense work. That and reliable WRs.

The Bell thing... is not a hard yes/no, it's just not the most important discussion. If after doing our best to secure 2 of the best Olineman available, and doing what we can to stabilize the defense, there's still enough money left over - then yea. Sure... but Bell's going to be some team's signature signing, and there's others i would prioritize first. "Settling" for Mark Ingram for example to bolster the backfield will be effective. 

So will drafting a 3 down back. 

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Bell has said publicly he does not want to be a jet and wants to play for the colts.  He has a reputation as a bad guy and the colts reportedly don’t want him

Sign this beast!

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Does Bell get the Jets to the super bowl or just add a few wins a year for 3 or 4 years and eat up cap space?

4 hours ago, Mike135 said:

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Bell in a vacuum doesn't move the bar enough but coupled with some other smart FA signings and draft picks, yes, he's worth every penny.  You have to start somewhere, and adding an established star is a good place to start IMO.

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If he was 23 yes but he’s 27. It’s pushing it. 

They need to start with the Oline. 

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

In reality the Jets have the $$ to do both. 

I’m sorry but the “we need X before we can add Y” arguments don’t sway me at all. We literally need everything else after the QB. You take the pieces as the opportunities arise (especially with a GM who has not shown anything in the draft outside top ten picks in the first round). Waiting for a specific position before addressing another of need is not a way to rebuild a team around a promising young QB and is more “perfection is the enemy of the good” thinking IMHO. 

I would not let these woes fool you.  If the jets after the last few games all of sudden think they have to go defence big again they are morons.  If anything these games show the coaching is dreadful and the priorities stink  (ILB and SS being uber high picks).

The HC and DC are flat out terrible at their jobs and can never adjust in game.  Drafting another Dlineman and signing another Cb for huge dollars is not the answer.  We need more talent on offense for our best player.

If we for like the 10th time in a row have a defensive centric draft and free agency I'll be enraged.

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The Bell thing... is not a hard yes/no, it's just not the most important discussion. If after doing our best to secure 2 of the best Olineman available, and doing what we can to stabilize the defense, there's still enough money left over - then yea. Sure... but Bell's going to be some team's signature signing, and there's others i would prioritize first. "Settling" for Mark Ingram for example to bolster the backfield will be effective. 

So will drafting a 3 down back. 

I think it's more complicated than you're saying - it's about level of upgrade.  Just saying to sign the best two OL available isn't really saying much.  The question has to be how much of an upgrade are they over what we have? There aren't any pro-bowl linemen coming free.  

Same thing with defense - stabilize the defense, with what? with who?

Bell is a legitimate impact player that is capable of changing and taking over a game.  The Jets have NONE of those players and he's likely to be the only player in FA that will be.   And it's an impact player league.  

Maybe you could sign one or two higher level jags rather than the mid-level jags we have -  but honestly, how much better are they going to make the team?

We've had our share of OL free agents too - they haven't shown to be much better than what we have now either. 

In the rare occasion that a true impact player becomes available and we have the money and position need we HAVE to make that player our top priority.  

3 hours ago, SheaRay said:

We finally have a talented YOUNG QB. He needs a talented OL to grow with. Full stop. 

I dont know why more people dont see this - only reason we're not complaining more is that Sam is buying time in the pocket due to his athleticism. Give him a decent line and boy howdy watch out. 

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's more complicated than you're saying - it's about level of upgrade.  Just saying to sign the best two OL available isn't really saying much.  The question has to be how much of an upgrade are they over what we have? There aren't any pro-bowl linemen coming free.  

Bell is a legitimate impact player that is capable of changing and taking over a game.  The Jets have NONE of those players and he's likely to be the only player in FA that will be.   And it's an impact player league.  

Maybe you could sign one or two higher level jags rather than the mid-level jags we have -  but honestly, how much better are they going to make the team?

We've had our share of OL free agents too - they haven't shown to be much better than what we have now either. 

In the rare occasion that a true impact player becomes available and we have the money and position need we HAVE to make that player our top priority.  

It wouldn't surprise me to see Shady McCoy released after the season. Banging heads w/ McDermott.

Heck-of-a-lot cheaper than Bell at 80% performance of Bell.

Kareem Hunt should be available too.

Let's see what shakes loose at the end of the season.

21 minutes ago, peebag said:

I dont know why more people dont see this - only reason we're not complaining more is that Sam is buying time in the pocket due to his athleticism. Give him a decent line and boy howdy watch out. 

We all see it some of us just don’t believe you have to be wait to improve other areas until OL is improved. There were many who advocated against improving QB because “he will die back there until we improve the line.” If we listened then we would’ve even have Darnold. You can’t control the timing of opportunities, just how you react to them. 

50 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree in principle - whatever moves the needle the most. It’s tough to engage these FA conversations before knowing who’s available. Contracts give us a blurry image but until late February we won’t know. 

And I guess the other thing is I don’t think Bell is as attractive as some of you. I heed the warnings that are out there and think we’ll be lucky to get 1 thousand yard season out of him. 

5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Does Bell get the Jets to the super bowl or just add a few wins a year for 3 or 4 years and eat up cap space?

One of the most conflicting statements I have seen on the board in... I don't know how long.

Are you conceding that Le'V Bell is a special enough player to add a few wins to a season... and still think it's a bad idea?!??!

If he adds a few wins, the Jets will likely be hosting a playoff game for the first time in over 20 years.  That is, exactly, how you give yourself a chance to win a Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

One of the most conflicting statements I have seen on here in... I don't know how long.

Are you conceding that Le'V Bell is a special enough player to add a few wins to a season... and still think it's a bad idea?!??!

If he adds a few wins, the Jets will likely be hosting a playoff game for the first time in over 20 years.  That is, exactly, how you give yourself a chance to win a Super Bowl.

Making the playoffs but not the super bowl is like only putting the head in. 

I don’t care about having a team that’s only good enough to be a wildcard or playoff team. They should build toward making a dynasty. Darnold is young and has the talent to do that. Bell is a feel good addition. 

Now if he signs for what Gurley and Johnson signed for I’m all for it but not for the numbers being said on this site. 

Archived