Todd Bowles was the one running the Maccagnan drafts!

Sperm Edwards

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And with mccagnan/bowles i think mccagnan made the first round picks and bowles got to pick in other rounds.  My best guess is that bowles was behind the maye and Sheppard picks.

Funny you suspect right up to that Maye pick, the round 1 picks are Maccagnan and then right after that it's Bowles?

• 1st round selections: DE/DT, ILB, SS (defense-defense-defense) = Maccagnan?
  • 2nd round selections: WR, QB, FS (offense-offense-defense) = Bowles?

lol

IMO Sheppard was drafted specifically because Maccagnan had just cut his blunder-extension Mo after trading Sheldon. If anyone expected Anderson's play to suddenly improve this year - yes, under the coaching of Bowles, whom nobody improves under - then Anderson wouldn't have been available to us for so little. I don't think Macc saw Anderson as anything other than depth or competition for a rookie he'd draft.

The pick logically has Maccagnan's fingerprints all over it, for better or for worse. He may yet turn into a solid starter.

This is a perfect example of "Player drafted on defense? OMG that has to be Bowles because no one else drafts players on defense."

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Larz said:

@Sperm Edwards

Dude 

You can't convince 100% of people that the earth is round 

You would be better off just accepting the fact that the majority of jets fans think macc has done a bad job 

It's not good for your mental health bruh 

lol you're probably right

But you also surely know this stuff entertains me

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Bingo on the bolded part. And it's likely the same with other teams, except for those teams where the HC truly has the kind of power people are ascribing to Bowles (Belichick, Carroll, etc.). 

Instead the belief by many is: all the good players (and certainly anyone good on offense) were drafted by Macc. Those players were going to be good no matter what. They required no coaching by Bowles or his staff.

The bad players were drafted by Bowles. Some of them would have been very good players if not for Bowles and his stewpid.

It's amazing either one of them should be employed in their current capacity.

I like it....the cliff notes version. Straight to the point.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Funny you suspect right up to that Maye pick, the round 1 picks are Maccagnan and then right after that it's Bowles?

• 1st round selections: DE/DT, ILB, SS (defense-defense-defense) = Maccagnan?
  • 2nd round selections: WR, QB, FS (offense-offense-defense) = Bowles?

lol

IMO Sheppard was drafted specifically because Maccagnan had just cut his blunder-extension Mo after trading Sheldon. If anyone expected Anderson's play to suddenly improve this year - yes, under the coaching of Bowles, whom nobody improves under - then Anderson wouldn't have been available to us for so little. I don't think Macc saw Anderson as anything other than depth or competition for a rookie he'd draft.

The pick logically has Maccagnan's fingerprints all over it, for better or for worse. He may yet turn into a solid starter.

This is a perfect example of "Player drafted on defense? OMG that has to be Bowles because no one else drafts players on defense."

Mccagnan likes players from big programs in the early rounds, so the Sheppard pick is out of character for him.  Logically the Sheppard pick wreaks of bowles more than the others, since the jets had just traded a 1st and 2 2nds to get an offensive player AND Wilkerson had left.  So this pick logically was intended to appease the HC who only ever seemed to care about defense.

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Unquestionably, there will be some coaches not as dumb as ownership/this fanbase who will avoid this job because of the job Macc has done.

Jets only selling point is “Look, Sam Darnold.”

Well it's certainly not the whining nut bags disguised as jet fans. 

3 hours ago, jack48 said:

Just get a coach and make him all powerful.  Get somebody and make them all powerful.  Somebody not named Johnson has to have the final word on football matters.  I would even give him power of attorney to sign checks

Yeah, and we can call that person "The Wizard", and then, if we don't like how things are working out,  we can click our heels together, three times, and be back safe in Kansas

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Funny? What are you talking about?

This is serious news, and apparently the belief is this is an accurate portrayal of history.

I am merely helping out those that know the truth, lest anyone believe Maccagnan shoulders blame for these drafts.

All picks made on defense were Todd Bowles. Unless you like the pick, in which case it's Mike Maccagnan.

#truth #history #accuracy #reasonability #likelihood #logical

yeah, because that's what is being said. This post/thread actually tops the conjecture riddled diatribe you laid on us a couple of weeks ago.

While obviously sarcasm to a large degree, I don't think anyone really said what you are over dramatizing here. I for one, am on the side of retaining Macc even if I'm not in love with some of the choices and moves. I've gone round and round about it so won't here other than to say this. The greater problem, whether you believe Bowles to be Mr. Green or not is that he has not developed one single player while here.  Bowles has proven he is an effective game planner, cannot pin down a solid coordinator(that includes Rodgers), and his understanding of managing a game in real time is child like. Whether or not Macc has been as effective as many would have liked is one thing. Minimizing the impact the terrible coaching and overall presence of Bowles and his staff of antiquated thinkers with a thread like this is an effort to paint an incomplete picture and portray it as fact; and it IS funny if not actual comedy. . The original was better IMO. You're losing your regularly impactful edge if this thread is any indication of the future. 

That said, thanks for sharing. I always enjoy spending large portions of my day trying to make heads or tails of your work. :) 

Maccs not going anywhere and that was confirmed with the Enunwa contract before Black Monday. Every team has stretches of bad drafts. Nobody was s*cking the Saints d*cks when they kept finishing 8-8 with the 2nd best QB in the NFL. 

Then bam, one good draft & they were back on track, Lattimore, Ramczyk (there 2nd #1 pick), Williams, Kamara, Anzalone, Hendrickson. 

If your rolling out Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown, you don't know what you have anyway! Look how long it took for Enunwa to emerge. We don't know if Deonte Burnett can turn into a good slot WR yet. We have no idea what we have in these defensive young guys because there isn't 1 fan here that hasn't come to the conclusion that Bowles/Rogers might just be the worst defensive coaches the Jets have ever had! The Pats have an UDFA starting at CB JC Jackson. Coaching freaking matters! Development of players is a REAL THING. 

Does anyone not believe that Bill Belichick wouldn't be able to take the Jets roster & squeeze more wins out of it than Todd Bowles? Coaches use to say Joe Gibbs could take yours & beat his. The Patriots have Brady who had 136 yards passing last week, Gronk who looks like he's carrying a piano on his back & they lost their #1 WR but they keep on eking out victories. They are a shell of their earlier Super Bowl versions but are still 10-5. 

Get over the Macc thing, nothing more important than this new coaching hire.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Mccagnan likes players from big programs in the early rounds, so the Sheppard pick is out of character for him.  Logically the Sheppard pick wreaks of bowles more than the others, since the jets had just traded a 1st and 2 2nds to get an offensive player AND Wilkerson had left.  So this pick logically was intended to appease the HC who only ever seemed to care about defense.

Logically Sheppard appears to be a Maccagnan selection: draft pick to complement the stopgap veteran he acquired, and both of them were brought in to replace the starters at the same position that he traded and cut in the past year.

Where did you get the preposterous idea from that Bowles has this reputation for personally scouting small programs? Or that he scouted anybody for that matter during a college season? And moreover, that he force-fed this pick onto the GM who was powerless to do anything about it? :rl: 

There is no GM that has a reputation for constantly taking players from this puny school or any similar school. Most take players from bigger programs because they're more predictable at the NFL level; duh. There are a lot of exceptions, but nobody does that regularly with their picks. If you want to claim this is a particular thing with Macc, then you show us all the list of GMs who routinely draft from smaller programs with their day 2 picks. It happens per team about as often as it does with the Jets - once in a while depending on how many draft picks they have and need + availability at the time - and nothing more.

You're making hindsight results fit your made-up convenient theory. Never mind you're ignoring that the only leak/evidence to come out was that it was Macc who refused the offensive playmaker this "only ever seemed to care about defense" HC badly wanted. You have no actual knowledge of anything you claim, nor can you point to so much as a leak to back it up. And I'm saying this as no fan of Bowles myself.

JMO

12 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

yeah, because that's what is being said. This post/thread actually tops the conjecture riddled diatribe you laid on us a couple of weeks ago.

While obviously sarcasm to a large degree, I don't think anyone really said what you are over dramatizing here. I for one, am on the side of retaining Macc even if I'm not in love with some of the choices and moves. I've gone round and round about it so won't here other than to say this. The greater problem, whether you believe Bowles to be Mr. Green or not is that he has not developed one single player while here.  Bowles has proven he is an effective game planner, cannot pin down a solid coordinator(that includes Rodgers), and his understanding of managing a game in real time is child like. Whether or not Macc has been as effective as many would have liked is one thing. Minimizing the impact the terrible coaching and overall presence of Bowles and his staff of antiquated thinkers with a thread like this is an effort to paint an incomplete picture and portray it as fact; and it IS funny if not actual comedy. . The original was better IMO. You're losing your regularly impactful edge if this thread is any indication of the future. 

That said, thanks for sharing. I always enjoy spending large portions of my day trying to make heads or tails of your work. :) 

Plenty here more or less claim precisely this:

Any player drafted on defense, or picks they don't like in general = purely a Todd Bowles pick, and was made because Bowles has leverage over the GM and is the one who really has final say on draft picks.

And it's a simplistic logic. Bowles was a DB then a DB coach then a DC, and the offense has never been lights out (though look at the rosters he's had). Therefore he only wants to draft and coach players on defense.

It's amazing there are people who actually believe this lol.

Nothing Todd Bowles has done as a coach stinks worse than the pick of Christian Hackengarbage in Rd 2. They should both go. Mac doesn't deserve to pick the next coach

Yeah, and we can call that person "The Wizard", and then, if we don't like how things are working out,  we can click our heels together, three times, and be back safe in Kansas

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Logically Sheppard appears to be a Maccagnan selection: draft pick to complement the stopgap veteran he acquired, and both of them were brought in to replace the starters at the same position that he traded and cut in the past year.

Where did you get the preposterous idea from that Bowles has this reputation for personally scouting small programs? Or that he scouted anybody for that matter during a college season? And moreover, that he force-fed this pick onto the GM who was powerless to do anything about it? :rl: 

There is no GM that has a reputation for constantly taking players from this puny school or any similar school. Most take players from bigger programs because they're more predictable at the NFL level; duh. There are a lot of exceptions, but nobody does that regularly with their picks. If you want to claim this is a particular thing with Macc, then you show us all the list of GMs who routinely draft from smaller programs with their day 2 picks. It happens per team about as often as it does with the Jets - once in a while depending on how many draft picks they have and need + availability at the time - and nothing more.

You're making hindsight results fit your made-up convenient theory. Never mind you're ignoring that the only leak/evidence to come out was that it was Macc who refused the offensive playmaker this "only ever seemed to care about defense" HC badly wanted. You have no actual knowledge of anything you claim, nor can you point to so much as a leak to back it up. And I'm saying this as no fan of Bowles myself.

JMO

Never said bowles scouted him.  My theory is that after the team used so many draft resources to pick darnold, bowles pushed for a DL type and used the scouting department’s info to push for Sheppard.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Any player drafted on defense, or picks they don't like in general = purely a Todd Bowles pick, and was made because Bowles has leverage over the GM and is the one who really has final say on draft picks.

And it's a simplistic logic. Bowles was a DB then a DB coach then a DC, and the offense has never been lights out (though look at the rosters he's had). Therefore he only wants to draft and coach players on defense.

I think they're both equally culpable in the picks and both should be fired. They'v been on equal footing since they were hired. Overdrafting defense has been a staple since Woody has been  here and we've had all defensive coaches. Rex certainly had major pull in the war room and it sure seems like Bowles did too. He cetainly wasnt completely shut out. Coaches give major input in most drafts. Ultimately its on Maccagnan, but my gut is he's a pushover, which is just as bad. 

Head coach is a full time job 80 hours a week or more.

Gm is also an 80 hour a week job.

The hc doesn't get any pull at all. These are all Mac picks, all of them.

I think they're both equally culpable in the picks and both should be fired. They'v been on equal footing since they were hired. Overdrafting defense has been a staple since Woody has been  here and we've had all defensive coaches. Rex certainly had major pull in the war room and it sure seems like Bowles did too. He cetainly wasnt completely shut out. Coaches give major input in most drafts. Ultimately its on Maccagnan, but my gut is he's a pushover, which is just as bad. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I’d be shocked if either guy were pulling 80 hour weeks at this point. And it’s pretty much on the record Donahue was a Green pick and Stewart was the OC’s pick. Bowles is in the war room lobbying at the very least.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When Rex was here, hed had a ton of pull.  He dictated Sanchez and had Tanny get the trade up done.  He picked Coples for the jets at the combine. He told Coples that he would be the pick if he were still on the board.  And of course he was.  

Mac is supposed to be in charge. If he let the head coach run his draft, then he should be fired for that.

But that’s precisely how the heirarchy is drawn. They are both on equal footing. For example, if Macc wanted Mohomes and Bowles wanted Adams, Macc does not have power to say go sit down, we’re drafting my guy. It’s a structure of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wait... you mean that whole post wasn't all in direct response to me????  What the hell is going on here?  lol

I hear ya man. I do.  I look forward to how this all plays out. 

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It is obvious that Bowles is NOT a Great HC but that he was certainly undermined by a very POOR GM!

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I fail to see the sense in putting this at risk.

I could see it if our drafts were loaded with studs outside the top 6 overall picks. Then he'd be an obvious asset as a talent evaluator. Of course this is the exact opposite.

But what am I saying? The bad picks were Todd Bowles. :) 

Sperm you're coming around. I too blame Bowles for everything negative on our team. I also blame him for the burnt bacon i made this morning...

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Nothing Todd Bowles has done as a coach stinks worse than the pick of Christian Hackengarbage in Rd 2. They should both go. Mac doesn't deserve to pick the next coach

Omg, you make it seem like the New York Jets before Macc have been nailing 2nd round picks for years, lol. From 2010- Vlad Ducasse, Stephen Hill, Geno Smith, Jace Amaro, Devin Smith, Hackenberg, Maye, (Darnold-Best trade in Jets history).

Devin Smith couldn't stay healthy (happens). Maye unfortunately has battled injuries too, but has proven when healthy he's a starting NFL free Safety. 

I can't believe fans still harp on Hackenberg, when there were tons of fans on here that wanted him to take Paxton Lynch. The Bucs took Winston #1 overall in 2015, how's that panning out, Mariotta at 2, he's average at best. Most of the drafts have the addition of luck, sometimes things just fall into place (Colts go from Manning to Luck), how hard was it for Dorsey to take Mayfield & Ward? The previous GM set him up for those high picks. I just believe that GMs can get better, even after making some mistakes. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They’re going to fire Todd Bowles within 48 hours and they’re going to try and hang all of Macc’s personnel failures around his neck on the way out the door. Sperm knows this and is pre-empting that stupid idea from gaining traction among the readership. 

48 hours? Noooooo!!! 48 minutes I can deal with.

Archived