Jets to interview Mccarthy

Rhg1084

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

Here are two knocks on McCarthy:

1. Hasn't really had great running games in GB - fix: sign Bell, and hopefully a solid lineman

2. His defenses have never been that great - fix: hire a good DC to get the potential out of the talent we do have on defense

He might have another super bowl win or two if these two things were better in his career at GB.

I think many of you are in love with the idea of McCarthy more than who he actually is.

• mismanages the clock. A lot.
  • Doesn't know how to use RBs. it's been his Achilles heel from year 1 to year 12. He's had good backs. Even this last two years, stubbornly trotted Jamaal Williams out there over Aaron Jones
  • Play calling suffers against good defensive schemers. Can't adjust on the fly. 
  • Never heard of ball control.
  • Playoff Choker. 

You want McCarthy the QB whisper (which is questionable, look every QB who's stepped in for Rodgers over the years. God Awful)... but what you're gonna get is Todd Bowles 2.0. 

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the top coaches are getting $7 mil plus. The Jets, historically, pay around $3 mil, so it bears watching. As far as personnel control, has anyone seen anything confirming how much or little control of the roster Bowles actually had?
Unfortunately that info may never surface unless Bowles suddenly feels compelled to spill the beans. I'm very curious about it myself.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, CTM said:

I think darnold , cap space and 1.3 are a bigger draw then you think.

This is probably the top job available 

And also he was just run out of town by a diva QB, why would he go to the other place where a diva QB ran his Head Coach out of town?

Baker is a bigger headache already. 

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d guess McCarthy is coming in to demand control of the #3 pick to pick the player he wants and at least half of that $100 mil to spend on his preferred offensive talent. Does Chris Johnson give that to him and $8 mil per?

Saw rumblings that DePodesta is now head guy in charge in Cleveland and Dorsey is being phased out...

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think many of you are in love with the idea of McCarthy more than who he actually is.

• Doesn't know how to use RBs. it's been his Achilles heel from year 1 to year 12. He's had good backs. Even this last two years, stubbornly trotted Jamaal Williams out there over Aaron Jones
  • Play calling suffers against good defensive schemers. Can't adjust on the fly. 
  • Playoff Choker. 

You want McCarthy the QB whisper (which is questionable, look every QB who's stepped in for Rodgers over the years. God Awful)... but what you're gonna get is Todd Bowles 2.0. 

I didn't say I wanted him, and originally was completely against him for the reasons you've mentioned here, but I have no idea who the best hire would be at this time so I'm trying to look at all sides from all perspectives. 

1 minute ago, Drums said:

I didn't say I wanted him, and originally was completely against him for the reasons you've mentioned here, but I have no idea who the best hire would be at this time so I'm trying to look at all sides from all perspectives. 

Sorry, i was carelessly just grabbing one of the most recent posts to springboard from--

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

I'm on the same page. I prefer a young offensive guru over old school guy like McCarthy. 

With that said, I won't lose sleep if we end up with McCarthy. He does have his good qualities. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why would anyone take this job if those are the parameters? And then people should stop saying those two things—the cap and the pick—are worth anything to the new coach considering how bad Macc has been with picks and gobs of free agent cash.

Serious answer?

One of Maccs strengths or faults depending on how you perceive it, has been his amenability to the coaching staff on drafting or acquiring players.  McCarthy knows that his recommendations will be given serious consideration but I believe him when he says he's not interested in being a GM.  He was just offered an overlord position with the Cardinals and didn't even want to talk to them.

From the articles I've read and press conferences I've heard I believe the guy wants to coach football and let the GM, GM.  I'm sure he wants his voice heard, deservedly so, when it comes to player selection but he doesn't come off as the kind of guy who gets his rocks off on total control.  Again - he just turned it down.

Todd Bowles and his staff were a complete catastrophe and IMO much more responsible for the last 4 years than Macc.

Is Macc great?  No..  he's made some terrible picks and the Rashard Robinson trade was awful.  That said, he's made some good moves and shown improvement.

I think Macc to Macc could be a great partnership.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Serious answer?

One of Maccs strengths or faults depending on how you perceive it, has been his amenability to the coaching staff on drafting or acquiring players.  McCarthy knows that his recommendations will be given serious consideration but I believe him when he says he's not interested in being a GM.  He was just offered an overlord position with the Cardinals and didn't even want to talk to them.

From the articles I've read and press conferences I've heard I believe the guy wants to coach football and let the GM, GM.  I'm sure he wants his voice heard, deservedly so, when it comes to player selection but he doesn't come off as the kind of guy who gets his rocks off on total control.  Again - he just turned it down.

Todd Bowles and his staff were a complete catastrophe and IMO much more responsible for the last 4 years than Macc.

Is Macc great?  No..  he's made some terrible picks and the Rashard Robinson trade was awful.  That said, he's made some good moves and shown improvement.

I think Macc to Macc could be a great partnership.

Welp, this is going to end in disaster. The jinx guy never fails.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why in the holy hell would they do that?

Dunno, could be BS. Arent many guys to really trust anymore outside of Schefter/Rapaport as the NFL has seemingly streamlined everything through them...

Wrote Charles Robinson(Yahoo): "After some conversations with those who know the Browns, I’m now more certain than ever that chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta has been more influential than anyone outside of the organization understands. I think everyone (including me) has been led astray about the current power structure in Cleveland. Especially where it concerns Dorsey."

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

• Playoff Choker. 

Honestly, I think it's great that the consensus best HC available chose our team as the first to talk to.  The Jets seem to be doing a good job not putting all their eggs in 1 basket as they have many interviews scheduled.

Who do you want?

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dunno, could be BS. Arent many guys to really trust anymore outside of Schefter/Rapaport as the NFL has seemingly streamlined everything through them...

Wrote Charles Robinson(Yahoo): "After some conversations with those who know the Browns, I’m now more certain than ever that chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta has been more influential than anyone outside of the organization understands. I think everyone (including me) has been led astray about the current power structure in Cleveland. Especially where it concerns Dorsey."

That’s weird, but didn’t Dorsey have a drinking problem or something? Maybe it’s in reference to that. I know they brought McCloughan in as an advisor, who’s has his own issues. It’d be a shame if that situation unravels. It looks like it could be a good team for awhile up there, especially with the Bengals and Steelers imploding 

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Honestly, I think it's great that the consensus best HC available chose our team as the first to talk to.  The Jets seem to be doing a good job not putting all their eggs in 1 basket as they have many interviews scheduled.

Who do you want?

Carmichael & the NOS ensemble. Freddie Kitchens. A college HC is on the table. Matt LaFleur is worth a sniff...

It's tough for us fans to gauge new HC material. We don't know the people that well. I can assess the body of work from a HC for 12 years tho.... 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s weird, but didn’t Dorsey have a drinking problem or something? Maybe it’s in reference to that. I know they brought McCloughan in as an advisor, who’s has his own issues. It’d be a shame if that situation unravels. It looks like it could be a good team for awhile up there, especially with the Bengals and Steelers imploding 

Dorsey looked like a slightly less unhinged Gary Busey on Hard Knocks.  I don't buy all this hooplah over what a great GM he is.  He was dumped in KC for mismanaging the cap and butting heads with Reid.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Dorsey looked like a slightly less unhinged Gary Busey on Hard Knocks.  I don't buy all this hooplah over what a great GM he is.  He was dumped in KC for mismanaging the cap and butting heads with Reid.

So, McCarthy says that he wants Jonah Williams or a WR at 3 and Macc says he wants another DT. Who gets his way?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, right now it's more than just McC skill-set as a HC (which is very good) but what having him on board will mean to the level of respect this franchise receives.

Players respect

Assistant coaches

Free agents

Refs - All the close calls that always seem to go to the other team

This hire is step two in turning this franchise around...

These are all good points and why I have wanted Shanahan but McCarthy will certainly do! :) 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, McCarthy says that he wants Jonah Williams or a WR at 3 and Macc says he wants another DT. Who gets his way?

Without taking FA into account?  McCarthy.  Chris Johnson just publicly fellated Darnold continually saying "build around Sam".

I don't know how good this Jonah Williams is though..  The very little I've read certainly doesn't have him in the same league as Quenten Nelson.

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

And also he was just run out of town by a diva QB, why would he go to the other place where a diva QB ran his Head Coach out of town?

Baker is a bigger headache already. 

100%

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Without taking FA into account?  McCarthy.  Chris Johnson just publicly fellated Darnold continually saying "build around Sam".

It was a trick question. They’d take Maccagnan’s DT and McCarthy would be hardcore suicidal 

49 minutes ago, Pac said:

I know this must all be hard for you.

If McCarthy comes in saying "I want control of the 3rd pick and 50 mil to spend on players of my choosing", which he certainly will NOT, then he'll be told thanks for your time and shown the door.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

I don't know how good this Jonah Williams is though..  The very little I've read certainly doesn't have him in the same league as Quenten Nelson.

Just trying to follow all this. If McCarthy demands control, they’ll kick him out of the interview, but if he and Maccagnan disagree on the use of a major resource, then they’ll defer to McCarthy?

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Just trying to follow all this. If McCarthy demands control, they’ll kick him out of the interview, but if he and Maccagnan disagree on the use of a major resource, then they’ll defer to McCarthy?

It’s very complex and every outcome is good.

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why in the holy hell would they do that?

I watch almost every Jets game in a Browns bar in SC(don't ask, lol). Trust me, they're not. Dorsey is looked at as an anti-Macc. Whenever anyone even questions one of his moves there, they're ridiculed.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

If both players are graded close to each other then Maccagnan won't have to defer.  CJ made it pretty clear yesterday who he values above all else. 

I answered it from the perspective of it being a very minor disagreement.  If Maccagnan was all in on the DT then they'll take the DT.

56 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Assuming availability and we've heard that some of these guys are staying in college but since that never is actually official:

1- Jim Harbaugh

2- Lincoln Riley- yeah, I know he just got an extension....

3- Matt LaFleur

4- Zac Taylor

5- Mike McCarthy

First two are off the table.  Might as well say John Harbaugh or Bellicheck

so your first choice is Matt Lefleur who has 2 yrs as offensive coordinator

second choice Zac Taylor who has two yrs as offensive coordinator but is now QB coach, a step back

Your third choice is Mike McCarthy who has as many Super Bowl wins and more playoff appearances than the Jets have in their 60 yr history. 

I guess Im not seeing your reasoning 

56 minutes ago, Paradis said:

• Playoff Choker. 

Doug Flynn played well enough there to get a huge contract from Seattle

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

So you can see where the "nobody will interview here because of Macc" crowd is planting their flag now. Suddenly its become "This is the ideal job because Macc is an idiot and the HC can trample all over him." 

Thanks for saying it 14! That's been the real joy of reading this thread. Now to be careful, we haven't landed him yet and that is the crux of all this, but it's been enjoyable to watch the pivot take place in real time. 

That said, I've clicked "up vote" more times in this thread than any other in my whole time here at JN.  It's getting good in here. If we can nab this big fish, we really have something in Jet land! 

Archived