Jets to interview Mccarthy

Rhg1084

Just now, Jets723 said:

Sam has such a great ability of keeping plays alive too which is a huge plus once we get him some protection and a couple more weapons

totally. it’s really ridiculous. he plays QB like a point guard driving

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He said that he was going to take his time, be very picky and select the best location. Sure he’ll do his tour of interested teams and go from there.

turning down the Cardinals for even an interview is pretty eye opening though. Wonder if he just doesn’t like the area or didn’t feel great about developing Rosen.

I think that Arizona is a poorly run group right now. And coaches love ex HC Arians and think if he couldn't make it work there it might be more difficult then folks believe.

No knock right now on Bowles but McCarthy knows that Bowles was a first time HC and that he (McCarthy) knows more about organizing a team than Bowles can think about right now. Plus the Jets have cap space and appear to have an Owner who is willing to accept input from the HC.  McCarthy also as been pointed out elsewhere does not want management control of the team, so he fits well with the Jets.

1 minute ago, Vader said:

totally. it’s really ridiculous. he plays QB like a point guard driving

Thats why I have never bought into the Mayfield hype. Yes I agree he is a bit more polished right not mainly because he is older and had more experience. But Sam was the youngest QB to start since the merger and despite having a bad oline,no weapons,bad coaching he still makes you a believer. I mean since coming back from the injury he had really made very few rookie mistakes anymore which shows how much he grew

10 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think the Texan game was a good indicator too. I mean Sam faced a very tough defense and kept them on their toes all game and they were openly praising him afterward while Mayfield with better talent around him struggled mightily.  I think Darnolds mental toughness for such a young kid is very noticed by coaches

Mayfield's outplayed Darnold in year. You can leave your homer card at the door. 

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Thats why I have never bought into the Mayfield hype. Yes I agree he is a bit more polished right not mainly because he is older and had more experience. But Sam was the youngest QB to start since the merger and despite having a bad oline,no weapons,bad coaching he still makes you a believer. I mean since coming back from the injury he had really made very few rookie mistakes anymore which shows how much he grew

Of course you didn't, your the same kind of "good ol' boy" who thinks McCarthy's the answer

20 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sean Peyton: 1 SB win in 13 years with Brees

Tony Dungy: 1 SB win with Manning 

Bill Parcells: 2 SB wins in 30 years (Both with dominant Defense in a bygone age)

Don Shula: see above, but 40 years and Marino for 2 decades.

Marty Schottenheimer: O'fer

Don Coryelle: O'fer

Marv Levy: O'fer

Bud Grant: O'fer

Holmgren: 1 SB win (with Favre) in a nearly 20 year HC career. 

These are all HOF coaches. Nobody would say these guys couldn't coach, and most of (if not all) these guys were surrounded by HOF talent and most had HOF QBs. All had down years. All of them had at one time or another to readjust their approach or flip a roster. There are LEGENDARY Head Coaches with a "paltry" 1 or 2 Championships. McCarthy has one.

The point? Its freaking HARD to win a SB (if you aren't cheating your ass off, luck into the GOAT in the 6th round, circumvent the cap, and having your owner exert pressure on the competition committee). It takes talent, luck, amazing timing, peaking at the right time,  not having bad calls go against you (see above), and getting the lucky or timely right bounce. 

So when I see Jets fans dismissing a coaches accomplishment of winning a Lombardi, it just makes me laugh. "He ONLY has one SB win. Pshaw"...

LOL. Dumb.

Good job taking my post out of context. I didn't say he wasn't a good coach, I said he wasn't worth 10 years and 100 million. You think he is?

Also Brian Billick has as many Super Bowls as a Head Coach and he did it with Trent Dilfer. Winning a SB, standing alone, isn't really proof of anything otherwise teams would be knocking down the door to get Billick. 

Again, I am not anti-McCarthy. He wouldn't be my first target, but I don't think he is a bad selection. 

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well at least they’re getting him in the building, hopefully they don’t let him leave 

I'll tell you here and now this is the move the Jets need to do everything in their power to make;

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1690190

If we can nail down McCarthy, you will see the fortunes of this franchise shift dramatically for the better - and quickly.

He'll bring instant credibility to the team and the players will buy in.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Good job taking my post out of context. I didn't say he wasn't a good coach, I said he wasn't worth 10 years and 100 million. You think he is?

Also Brian Billick has as many Super Bowls as a Head Coach and he did it with Trent Dilfer. Winning a SB, standing alone, isn't really proof of anything otherwise teams would be knocking down the door to get Billick. 

Again, I am not anti-McCarthy. He wouldn't be my first target, but I don't think he is a bad selection. 

10 years 100M? Who even mentioned those numbers?

And this wasn't solely directed to you. There are plenty of people here advocating for the hiring of the Rams ball boys for HC because McVay is so dreamy. LOL..

Seriously, people wantnto hire Zac Taylor because.....I dont know, and dismiss McCarthys accomplishments.

Heres an interesting article detailing why I think Mac would be awesome for Sam.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/mccarthy-can-teach-qbs-with-anyone-el6mfil-168285666.html/

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Of course you didn't, your the same kind of "good ol' boy" who thinks McCarthy's the answer

I think the point is, you have to give credit where it’s due, and when the franchise has gone down the route of promoting Coordinators to positions of general responsibility, and having no success, for over a decade — Jets fans should be excited at the idea that a McCarthy is interested. 

When was the last time the Jet’s hired a HC with the bonafides of McCarthy?

Parcells?

I for one am open to young blood if a good argument can be made, but we are all Jonesing for a legitimate football product to be put on the field. A McCarthy does that.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Oh, and Billick has a SB because of an all time Defense and all time great Ray Lewis and Co. Those days are over. But I got ya. 

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'll tell you here and now this is the move the Jets need to do everything in their power to make;

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1690190

If we can nail down McCarthy, you will see the fortunes of this franchise shift dramatically for the better - and quickly.

He'll bring instant credibility to the team and the players will buy in.

Yeah, right now it's more than just McC skill-set as a HC (which is very good) but what having him on board will mean to the level of respect this franchise receives.

Players respect

Assistant coaches

Free agents

Refs - All the close calls that always seem to go to the other team

This hire is step two in turning this franchise around...

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

10 years 100M? Who even mentioned those numbers?

And this wasn't solely directed to you. There are plenty of people here advocating for the hiring of the Rams ball boys for HC because McVay is so dreamy. LOL..

Seriously, people wantnto hire Zac Taylor because.....I dont know, and dismiss McCarthys accomplishments.

Heres an interesting article detailing why I think Mac would be awesome for Sam.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/mccarthy-can-teach-qbs-with-anyone-el6mfil-168285666.html/

The poster I was replying to suggested we give him the same deal as gruden or else it proved, in his mind that the Jets are cheap.

Just my opinion but McCarthy brings a credibility that players will buy into sooner rather than later. The 3 Coordinaters are relatively unknown and will take a while to buy into. With the history of futility this organization has I think this will take a while to happen. Gase has a reputation of miss trust to overcome. None of the latter 2 scenarios are impossible too overcome but again will take time. Just think McCarthy has the ability too get things off to a faster start I turn be more successful. 

4 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Just my opinion but McCarthy brings a credibility that players will buy into sooner rather than later. The 3 Coordinaters are relatively unknown and will take a while to buy into. With the history of futility this organization has I think this will take a while to happen. Gase has a reputation of miss trust to overcome. None of the latter 2 scenarios are impossible too overcome but again will take time. Just think McCarthy has the ability too get things off to a faster start I turn be more successful. 

This putrid organization has tried everything to get stable and successful. 

atleast this is a new path that provides hope.

4 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Agree and he would have access to the best overall staff as well 

But But But . . . 

No good coach would ever be even remotely interested in coaching this franchise. 

You know, like after we went 3-13 and 1-15 in 1995 and 1996 and then hired an all-time great coach (without already having a stud QB prospect on the roster). 

See what I'm getting at here?

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

McCarthy can write his own ticket to any of these jobs. The Jets don’t pay, their GM is a disaster, and the owner just threw his weight behind that disaster GM. Unless McCarthy is just window-shopping, he’s coming in here to case the joint to see how quickly he can stage a coup if the Browns get problematic because of Dorsey.

I think darnold , cap space and 1.3 are a bigger draw then you think.

This is probably the top job available 

58 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who would be your first target?  Second? Third?

13 minutes ago, CTM said:

I think darnold , cap space and 1.3 are a bigger draw then you think.

This is probably the top job available 

I’d guess McCarthy is coming in to demand control of the #3 pick to pick the player he wants and at least half of that $100 mil to spend on his preferred offensive talent. Does Chris Johnson give that to him and $8 mil per?

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Who would be your first target?  Second? Third?

Assuming availability and we've heard that some of these guys are staying in college but since that never is actually official:

1- Jim Harbaugh

2- Lincoln Riley- yeah, I know he just got an extension....

3- Matt LaFleur

4- Zac Taylor

5- Mike McCarthy

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d guess McCarthy is coming in to demand control of the #3 pick to pick the player he wants and at least half of that $100 mil to spend on his preferred offensive talent. Does Chris Johnson give that to him and $8 mil per?

From what we've heard, Todd bowles had about the same control over personnel and didn't come with the track record McCarthy has. And McCarthy isn't going anywhere we he isn't given some form of control of the players he will coach.

I don't think the salary will be the hang-up unless he demands significantly more money from us versus other teams..

Here are two knocks on McCarthy:

1. Hasn't really had great running games in GB - fix: sign Bell, and hopefully a solid lineman

2. His defenses have never been that great - fix: hire a good DC to get the potential out of the talent we do have on defense

He might have another super bowl win or two if these two things were better in his career at GB.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I know this must all be hard for you.

If McCarthy comes in saying "I want control of the 3rd pick and 50 mil to spend on players of my choosing", which he certainly will NOT, then he'll be told thanks for your time and shown the door.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

I know this must all be hard for you.

If McCarthy comes in saying "I want control of the 3rd pick and 50 mil to spend on players of my choosing", which he certainly will NOT, then he'd be told thanks for your time and shown the door.

Why would anyone take this job if those are the parameters? And then people should stop saying those two things—the cap and the pick—are worth anything to the new coach considering how bad Macc has been with picks and gobs of free agent cash.

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

From what we've heard, Todd bowles had about the same control over personnel and didn't come with the track record McCarthy has. And McCarthy isn't going anywhere we he isn't given some form of control of the players he will coach.

I don't think the salary will be the hang-up unless he demands significantly more money from us versus other teams..

All the top coaches are getting $7 mil plus. The Jets, historically, pay around $3 mil, so it bears watching. As far as personnel control, has anyone seen anything confirming how much or little control of the roster Bowles actually had?

Archived