Jets to interview Mccarthy

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Since every coordinator they’ve hired? Herm was a DB coach that no one was looking at, Mangini was like 32 when the Jets hired him, and Rex had been passed over like 50 times. None of these guys commanded upper tier salaries. In order to land McCarthy, who’s won a SB, you need to pay him.

I agree, but I have never known the jets to be tightfisted.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

McCarthy just got fired from his last job during the season because the QB didn't like him any more.

The Browns just fired their previous HC and OC during the season because the QB didn't like them any more.

Yeah. I'm sure McCarthy is in a real hurry to get himself some of that.

On the mark per usual, JetEngine.

unless he doesn’t think Baker’s personality is as wild...which could only mean that he’s never paid attention to it lmfao

If the Jets interview / hire McCarthy without doing the minority interview whats the penalty and should they or we care? Team has objectively been more than fair in the past regarding it's hiring practices. I havent done the research to see who but believe there are still multiple teams yet to have hired a qualified african american HC so shame on them and not the Jets.

You guys need to relax on the rooney rule thing. 

Coaching interviews are very different from free agency 

It's totally normal and OK for it to take some time 

Mccarthy and his agent have had the opportunity to evaluate all the open jobs and they understand the rules and timing 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

On one hand we complain that in essence we threw away millions extending Bowles and on the other we dont spend. 

Point me to these rabid fiscal conservatives complaining about paying Todd’s remaining contract, sir.

5 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Great point which I hadn't thought of.  The Jets can give him ultimate say on which free agents are targeted and signed.  I think Cleveland has not one but two divas: Mayfield and Dorsey.  Dorsey will have first and last say in who is drafted and signed.

We also cannot forget the fact that Dorsey was a part of that front office in Green Bay.  Obviously him and McCarthy are familiar with each other, but do they like each other? 

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Since every coordinator they’ve hired? Herm was a DB coach that no one was looking at, Mangini was like 32 when the Jets hired him, and Rex had been passed over like 50 times. None of these guys commanded upper tier salaries. In order to land McCarthy, who’s won a SB, you need to pay him.

And please explain how you know Herm, Mangini Rex, Bowles etc were hired over money?  Thats totally you making shlt up and total nonsense.  Herm wasnt a discount hire any more than Mangini was.  Or Rex.  Bowles along with Quinn was the top target 4 years ago to become a HC.  They all were paid on a level any asst making the move to HC gets.  And one more time, the answer that would make this baseless argument, who didnt they sign in place of these coaches because the Jets didnt want to pay?  They inquired about coaches like Cowher, tried to keep Parcells but were afraid to spend?  Ok, nice story

You have to have more than just pick whichever side of a theory is the one than has a negative slant.  

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets are not against paying people. They paid who they thought were the next big thing. They didnt not chase the big names because they were too cheap, they always go after the big names but couldnt attract that kind of talent with the qb situation we have had for the last 50 years. We finally have a qb that makes the job attractive, not to mention a hell of a lot of cap space, a supportive owner, a neutered GM and a high draft pick. 

If he wants the job he will have it and salary wont be an issue at all. Mark it down, double stamp, no erasies. 

7 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Great point which I hadn't thought of.  The Jets can give him ultimate say on which free agents are targeted and signed.  I think Cleveland has not one but two divas: Mayfield and Dorsey.  Dorsey will have first and last say in who is drafted and signed.

And I'm not even sure McCarthy wants ultimate say, nor would Mccagnan be willing to give it up.  Just give him a seat at the table.  

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the rule is good but this is the type of situation I wish they could fix. If the Jets interview McCarthy first and are sure they want to hire him they shouldn't be forced to interview another person first just to satisfy a rule. That's doesn't satisfy the spirit of the rule and it's not productive for anyone involved. Imagine losing out on the candidate you want because you had to let them walk out the door for this?

Giving a guy like Bienemy an opportunity to interview can only be helpful to him, even If he’s getting an interview as a relatively new coordinator to satisfy the Rooney rule. It should help him if he becomes a more viable candidate based on his actual body of experience as OC, instead of being used as a pawn. 

Cleveland has more talent on its roster, but I’m pretty sure it’s because they’ve had a sh*t ton of first and second round picks lately after stock piling them if I recall correctly.  I’m just wondering if a situation like that is considered unattractive because you will have too many 5th year options on good players coming up at the same time, possibly making their Super Bowl window actually shorter as a result. I also could be completely wrong because I don’t totally grasp the 5th year option crap vs cap.

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Mccarthy and his agent have had the opportunity to evaluate all the open jobs and they understand the rules and timing 

Why don't they just interview Karl Dunbar - you got both side covered ;)

4 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

McCarthy should insist on Maccagnan being fired as a precondition of him being hired

I can see him saying “ I either want this much $$ and five, six yr deal to secure my future here beyond Mac, or he goes now. Sure would put in a nicer way but it would be understandable for him to only want to come here if his future with the team was not tied to mac. Obviously with a five plus yr, he is secure if, more like when mac is canned in a yr or 2.

36 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

If the Jets interview / hire McCarthy without doing the minority interview whats the penalty and should they or we care? Team has objectively been more than fair in the past regarding it's hiring practices. I havent done the research to see who but believe there are still multiple teams yet to have hired a qualified african american HC so shame on them and not the Jets.

Lions were fined $200K when they hired Mooch in 2002.

I'd say its up to a cool Million, along with the headache of the SJ firing squad Media.

Not a good play. Follow the rules, who knows, maybe Kris Richard winds up our DC.

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Also only true because of the technicality of a name change.  Weeb won a NFL Championship with the Baltimore Colts and then a Super Bowl with the Jets.  

Yep he had Both Unitas and Joe and in his career he was 130-129 And a losing record with the Jets..

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Ok I’ll play

K Neal Harry goes in top half of first rd, not second

One of the positives of McCarthy is his experience and contacts-why would he want two inexperienced coordinators?

I like Greedy Williams but think our defense needs an edge rusher more

In this scenario they signed Dee Ford.  Hey, I can dream can't I. 

Seriously McCarthy will be told that he will get whatever free agents he wants.  At least they will try to sign them.  I see Mac's role will be similar to the one that Tannenbaum had with the difference being he will be taking his marching orders from McC and not Terry Bradway!

13 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I can see him saying “ I either want this much $$ and five, six yr deal to secure my future here beyond Mac, or he goes now. Sure would put in a nicer way but it would be understandable for him to only want to come here if his future with the team was not tied to mac. Obviously with a five plus yr, he is secure if, more like when mac is canned in a yr or 2.

Think about what you just wrote. You do realize that Macc is going to be the one interviewing him, right? Then the contract. Do you think they are planning to offer him a 2-3 year deal? Your final assumption that Macc will be fired in a year or two? The only way that happens is if the new HC is a total wash out. You're just going to have to put on your big boy pants, because Macc is going to be here for a while. Deal with it.

31 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Any HC is going to get at least 3-4 years.  4 is the usual, he might get 5.  Means that the HC will be on the books longer than Macc, beyond his contract.  HC needs no assurances, hes getting paid.

I would bet that after a HC is hired Maccs contract is adjusted to pay him through the end of whoever is hired.  

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

McCarthy can write his own ticket to any of these jobs. The Jets don’t pay, their GM is a disaster, and the owner just threw his weight behind that disaster GM. Unless McCarthy is just window-shopping, he’s coming in here to case the joint to see how quickly he can stage a coup if the Browns get problematic because of Dorsey.

The Jets haven't paid coaches, this is true. They have hired first time coaches, so they definitely didn't have to. Will that change? Not sure, but I am hoping it does.

I think the Browns job has more red flags than the Jets job though. Sam Darnold is a QB that you can mentor, that is teachable. Baker had an amazing year and he went 1st for a reason. But after dealing with Aaron Rodgers I am not sure McCarthy is going to want to deal with Baker 's antics.

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nothing to stop you from interviewing a McCarthy, if all goes well hiring him and doing a wink, wink agreement that wont be announced until after the Rooney Rule is complied with.  Unless of course they interview an assistant between now and McCarthys interview date

Its stupid but has to be done

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Nothing to stop you from interviewing a McCarthy, if all goes well hiring him and doing a wink, wink agreement that wont be announced until after the Rooney Rule is complied with.  Unless of course they interview an assistant between now and McCarthys interview date

Its stupid but has to be done

Nothing stopping the jets from doing whatever they want 

The only penalty ever handed out by the NFL was a 200k fine and the rooney rule has been around since 2003 

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Think about what you just wrote. You do realize that Macc is going to be the one interviewing him, right? Then the contract. Do you think they are planning to offer him a 2-3 year deal? Your final assumption that Macc will be fired in a year or two? The only way that happens is if the new HC is a total wash out. You're just going to have to put on your big boy pants, because Macc is going to be here for a while. Deal with it.

Mac, Heimerdinger and Chris Johson will be at all the interviews.  The contract will be drafted by the Jets attorneys after Chris Johson and the candidate come to terms.  There is no way that Mac negotiates the $$$ here.  He will not be the candidate's boss in any way.  He has no say over length of contract or compensation.  THat's the whole point of the HC reporting to Chris Johnson.  Mac is just another member of the team reporting back to the same boss.  Chris Johson will take input from both Mac and Heimerdinger in making his decision, but Chris Johnson (and Woody probably) will dictate the terms and have the final and ONLY say in the matter. 

Archived