Jets to interview Mccarthy

Rhg1084

31 minutes ago, Pac said:

If both players are graded close to each other then Maccagnan won't have to defer.  CJ made it pretty clear yesterday who he values above all else. 

I answered it from the perspective of it being a very minor disagreement.  If Maccagnan was all in on the DT then they'll take the DT.

Ok, I think I’m getting a handle on this. So if McCarthy wants control, no way Jose, but the most important thing is developing Darnold, so if he and Maccagnan disagree but in a minor way, he gets control, but if he and Maccagnan disagree in a major way, then Maccagnan gets control?

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Ok, I think I’m getting a handle on this. So if McCarthy wants control, no way Jose, but the most important thing is developing Darnold, so if he and Maccagnan disagree but in a minor way, he gets control, but if he and Maccagnan disagree in a major way, then Maccagnan gets control?

Luckily all these mental gymnastics are unnecessary.  McCarthy already said he doesn't want total control and he wouldn't get it here anyway.

7 hours ago, freestater said:

This is a good point. Darnold had 3 weeks to sit and observe, and when he came back, he was sharper and more consistent than before. Now, with a complete offseason to develop, he makes for a very attractive talent to come work with. 

All true.

But what no one bothers to mention is that probably a huge part of the “light going on” for Sam Darnold was when all of a sudden he didn’t have to leap for snaps fired over his head to the left and right of him, didn’t have to dive for ground ball snaps.  This was all part of his rookie experience FOR 9 F**KIN GAMES.

Any objective observer would question, “What the hell is Bowles doing?  Is he trying to make things as difficult ON PURPOSE for his rookie QB?”.  Probably not, but again, he defaulted to “play the Vet no matter what”, to deflect potential criticism in the future, similar to Maccagnan’s scared consensus draft picks.

It wasn’t until Ian Eagle and Fouts started giggling and asking the exact same question that Bowles FINALLY moved Long out of Center.

When the ball started to be snapped to Darnold on a consistent basis CLEANLY, he started to tear it up.

I hope this is my final Bowles rant, but I can’t make the promise.  1 total incompetent down, and 1 more (Maccagnan) to go.

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You're obviously welcome to your opinion but I think the people who have gotten hired because they were given this opportunity would disagree. No one is getting a job because they're a minority, they're getting a job because they impressed ownership in an interview with their qualifications. Given that ownership is a bunch of old white dudes they historically haven't had a lot of connections with minorities. So naturally, not having connections with minorities that ARE qualified, they weren't being hired. That is less true today than it was 25 years ago, but still is a thing.

Good post man. It can be a bit of a farce when you are interviewing a minority candidate when you already know you want to hire someone else, but there were only 7 minority Head coaches in the history of the NFL prior to the Rooney Rule.  19 since 2003. I'd say it's had an impact. Don't believe me? Check this list below...

Side Note: Jets were ahead of the curve with the Herm hiring prior to the Rule. That's pretty cool.  I liked Herm. He played to win the game. lol 

Head coach Teams Years Regular season Playoffs Best results
W L T Win % W L Win %
Fritz Pollard Akron Pros, Hammond Pros 1921, 1925 8 4   .667 0 0 0  
Tom Flores Oakland/LA Raiders, Seattle Seahawks 1979–1987, 1992–1994 97 87   .527 8 3 .727 Won Super Bowl XV and Super Bowl XVIII
Art Shell Los Angeles Raiders 1989–1994, 2006 56 52   .518 2 3 .400 1990–1991 AFC Championship Game
Dennis Green Minnesota Vikings and Arizona Cardinals 1992–2001, 2004–2006 113 94   .546 4 8 .333 1998 and 2000 NFC Championship Game
Ray Rhodes Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers 1995–1998, 1999 37 42   .468 1 2 .333 1995 NFC Divisional Game
Tony Dungy Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Indianapolis Colts 1996–2001, 2002–2008 139 69   .668 9 10 .474 Won Super Bowl XLI
Herman Edwards New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs 2001–2005, 2006–2008 54 74   .422 2 4 .333 2002, 2004 AFC Divisional Game
Rooney Rule Instituted, 2003
Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengals 2003—2018 112 92 2 .549 0 6 .000 1st in AFC North, Lost all AFC Wild-Card games played
Lovie Smith Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2004–2012, 2014–2015 89 87 0 .506 3 3 .500 Won 2006 NFC Championship, Lost Super Bowl XLI
Terry Robiskie Washington Redskins*, Cleveland Browns* 2000, 2004 2 7 0 .222 3rd AFC North (with Cleveland)
Romeo Crennel Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs 2005–2008, 2011–2012 28 55 0 .337 2nd AFC North (with Cleveland)
Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers 2007– 103 57 0 .644 8 6 .571 Won Super Bowl XLIII
Emmitt Thomas Atlanta Falcons* 2007 1 2 0 .333 4th NFC South
Mike Singletary San Francisco 49ers 2008–2010 18 22 0 .462 2nd NFC West
Jim Caldwell Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions 2009–2011, 2014–2017 62 50 0 .554 2 4 .333 2009 AFC Champion, Lost Super Bowl XLIV
Raheem Morris Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2009–2011 17 31 0 .354 3rd NFC South
Perry Fewell Buffalo Bills* 2009 3 4 0 .429 4th AFC East
Leslie Frazier Minnesota Vikings 2010–2013 21 32 1 .382 0 1 .000 2nd NFC North
Eric Studesville Denver Broncos* 2010 1 3 0 .250 4th AFC West
Ron Rivera Carolina Panthers 2011– 53 42 1 .557 3 3 .500 2015 NFC Champion, Lost Super Bowl 50
Todd Bowles New York Jets 2015–2018 26 41 .4388 2nd AFC East in 2015
Hue Jackson Oakland Raiders and Cleveland Browns 2011, 2016–2018 11 44 1 .205 3rd AFC West
Anthony Lynn Buffalo Bills and Los Angeles Chargers 2016, 2017– 9 8 0 .529 3rd AFC East
Vance Joseph Denver Broncos 2017–2018 11 21 0 .344 3rd AFC West
Steve Wilks Arizona Cardinals 2018 3 13 0 0.188 4th AFC West

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He said that he was going to take his time, be very picky and select the best location. Sure he’ll do his tour of intrested teams and go from there.

turning down the Cardinals for even an interview is pretty eye opening though. Wonder if he just doesn’t like the area or didn’t feel great about developing Rosen.

They're running out of water out there. I'm sure that's what the problem is. I've heard that McCarthy is really big on water. 

19 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Woody needs to get this guy. Instantly adds credibility to the organization. If Greg Williams shakes free from Cleveland, then you hire the man for DC. At that point, we have something! Also, keep Boyer as special teams coach and all 3 phases of the game are covered.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There is a lot of potential for the Jets to hire good coaches. 

The DC and OC are almost as important as the coach.  

Let’s see if the Jets screw it up.  To do it right requires a spend of a lot more than what the Jets have spent on coaches (they need to hire a veteran coordinator for the opposite side of the ball that the HC specializes in).  

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

10 years 100M? Who even mentioned those numbers?

And this wasn't solely directed to you. There are plenty of people here advocating for the hiring of the Rams ball boys for HC because McVay is so dreamy. LOL..

Seriously, people wantnto hire Zac Taylor because.....I dont know, and dismiss McCarthys accomplishments.

Heres an interesting article detailing why I think Mac would be awesome for Sam.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/mccarthy-can-teach-qbs-with-anyone-el6mfil-168285666.html/

That article was truly awesome! Thank you for posting it here. Every JN poster would benefit from reading it IMO.  It sure was interesting to see things like this though  LOL   

A graduate volunteer in 1989 and a graduate assistant for two more years, the young McCarthy was coach Paul Hackett's apprentice.  

8 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Here's how it plays out...

• Jets hire Mike McCarthy to be HC.
  • Kris Richard doesn't get a HC job and the Jets throw a boatload of money at him to become the DC.
  • In a surprise McCarthy hires the relative unknown Mike Kafka, QB coach of the Chiefs as OC.
  • McCarthy keeps Kevin Greene and Brant Boyer as LB and ST coaches respectively.
  • Maccagnan signs Leveon Bell RB, Trent Brown LT, Donte Moncrief, WR , Matt Paradis C and Dee Ford OLB as free agents.
  • Mac then trades out of the #3 slot for #8 #35 and #71.
  • Mac drafts Greedy Williams CB at #8, N'Keal Harry WR at #35, and Beau Benzschawel G, Trey Adams OT and Benny Snell RB in round 3.
  • Fans go wild at Florham Park!  Everyone is in disbelief that Mac spends 4 of his top 5 picks on offense and triples down on fixing the OL! 

The Mike Mac and Mike McC show blows up the NFL!  Jets compete in 2019!

I am warming up to this blue collar lunch pail type total non-new Yorker McCarthy. This is a leaf turning. This is the start of the Jets history changing. Chris sounds a lot more competent than Woody. The AFC with its powerhouse up and coming QB’s will retake dominance from the NFC and the Jets will be in the thick of it every year. Oh and the Pats will go back to being the cellar dwellers of the AFC east 

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

I am warming up to this blue collar lunch pail type total non-new Yorker McCarthy. This is a leaf turning. This is the start of the Jets history changing. Chris sounds a lot more competent than Woody. The AFC with its powerhouse up and coming QB’s will retake dominance from the NFC and the Jets will be in the thick of it every year. Oh and the Pats will go back to being the cellar dwellers of the AFC east 

You describe him like Sam a bit. That could be part of the fit.

12 hours ago, Pac said:

Wait!  No one tell him Macc is here!

The JN experts have assured me no qualified candidates will even take an interview with him in the building.  Perhaps they can dress Macc in an Ozzie Newsome costume or something.

LMAO Anyone we know ? ;-)

Favre lova da Mike McCarthy for da Jets.... ana da Browns ?

Brett Favre feels pretty good about another move from Green Bay to Gang Green.

The Hall of Fame quarterback, who followed his legendary run with the Packers by spending one season with the Jets, believes his former head coach, Mike McCarthy, would be an ideal match to replace Todd Bowles in New York. Favre spent a total of three seasons in Green Bay with the Super Bowl-winning McCarthy, who was fired in the midst of a career-worst (4-7-1) 13th year as Packers head coach.

McCarthy, a former quarterbacks coach who helped develop Aaron Rodgers into a future Hall of Famer, is expected to interview for the open positions of the Jets and Browns, who both feature elite quarterback prospects, in New York’s Sam Darnold and Cleveland’s Baker Mayfield.

“I think what’s important with a coach and a quarterback is understanding their strengths and their weaknesses, and where they are in their developmental stage — and how you call plays and how much you place upon that [quarterback],” Favre said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “Too many times, I think coaches place too much on a young quarterback.

“As you see them grow, you maybe [think], ‘OK, can you handle the protection [adjustment] part of it?’ You kind of do that slowly. I think Mike does a really good job of that. I think also Mike is a very good coach in regard to discipline and toughness. He’s going to ingrain toughness into his players.

“I think he’s a great choice for any of these teams [with a coaching opening], but those two in particular [the Jets and Browns], because of the quarterback situation.”

I'm curious if he was hired, he would put Sam in he "QB school"?

People forget Rogers didn't look good while he was backing up Favre 2005-2007. You could say Sam was ahead of Rogers his rookie year...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

This is quite an interesting development. He was supposed to interview with Cleveland today.

Yes... interesting.  I wonder what changed the schedule up? When will he be visiting NY? Need to find that out ASAP.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:29 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Sam needs to be in the interview with them. Let them hit it off. 

I disagree. Sam could have a meeting with McCarthy and our FO, but he doesn't need to be in the interview.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:52 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Why? Sam said that he wanted to have an input on the coaching search and the Golden State Warriors entire team met with Kevin Durant when they signed him.

theres no rule against a player being in an interview?

Sam should not have "input" on the coach. You can't expect Sam to know all the responsibilities and tasks that a HC will have to undertake along with coaching. Sam is going to be a 2nd year player, its not reasonable to take Darnold's advice from an interview.

The warriors team met with durant, but that is different situation altogether. Players being around a FA that is meeting to sign, that would be like Jamal Adams coming in to meet with Tyran Mathieu on a visit..

Just my opinion. I wouldn't let some relatively new person on my staff decide who any C.E.O. should be.

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

I disagree. Sam could have a meeting with McCarthy and our FO, but he doesn't need to be in the interview.

Sam should not have "input" on the coach. You can't expect Sam to know all the responsibilities and tasks that a HC will have to undertake along with coaching. Sam is going to be a 2nd year player, its not reasonable to take Darnold's advice from an interview.

The warriors team met with durant, but that is different situation altogether. Players being around a FA that is meeting to sign, that would be like Jamal Adams coming in to meet with Tyran Mathieu on a visit..

Just my opinion. I wouldn't let some relatively new person on my staff decide who any C.E.O. should be.

I don’t think he should be asking about how qualified he is as a coach. I just think it’d be benifical for him to hear what McCarthy would do with the offense.

i respect your opinion though. You make plenty of good points here.

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

I love Darnold, but his only input should be talking with Macc about the style of offense and coaching he prefers. Macc should then use that input as a reference point. In the end, we are hiring a coach for an entire team, not one player. 

As for the Warriors comparison, the NBA is a completely different situation. The coaching staff these days are rendered virtually irrelevant. You could replace Steve Kerr with a random college coach and they would do just fine.

Look at Lebron he won a title with Tyrone Lue who is the equivalent of Todd Bowles coaching stoned. 

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t think he should be asking about how qualified he is as a coach. I just think it’d be benifical for him to hear what McCarthy would do with the offense.

Yeah, I could see where they may want Sam to meet him, talk shop a bit, just to let them feel each other out. 

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They should just strategically have Sam strolling through the hallway when McCarthy comes to interview. Let the two have a little chat so Mike can see just how dreamy Sam's eyes really are. 

Would love to be a fly on the wall to hear the opinions that the Packers coaches and some former players have about Darnold after seeing him up close and personal after our game with them. You know McCarthy in doing his due diligence, has had, or will have those conversations before his interview with Chris and Macc. May have a bigger influence on a decision , one way or the other, than one might think.

Archived