Jets to interview Mccarthy

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mac, Heimerdinger and Chris Johson will be at all the interviews.  The contract will be drafted by the Jets attornies after Chris Johson and the candidate come to terms.  There is no way that Mac negotiates the $$$ here.  He will not be the candidate's boss in any way.  He has no say over length of contract or compensation.  THat's the whole point of the HC reporting to Chris Johnson.  Mac is just another member of the team reporting back to the same boss.  Chris Johson will take input from both Mac and Heimerdinger in making his decision, but Chris Johnson (and Woody probably) will dictate the terms and have the final and ONLY say in the matter. 

People are complaining about this, but if you are bringing in McCarthy they shouldn't change the structure now. If anything Macc would report to McCarthy. 

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mac, Heimerdinger and Chris Johson will be at all the interviews.  The contract will be drafted by the Jets attornies after Chris Johson and the candidate come to terms.  There is no way that Mac negotiates the $$$ here.  He will not be the candidate's boss in any way.  He has no say over length of contract or compensation.  THat's the whole point of the HC reporting to Chris Johnson.  Mac is just another member of the team reporting back to the same boss.  Chris Johson will take input from both Mac and Heimerdinger in making his decision, but Chris Johnson (and Woody probably) will dictate the terms and have the final and ONLY say in the matter. 

Nobody is being hired, much less negotiating a contract with lawyers, unless Macc signs off on the hire in the first place.

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

No coach has ever won a super bowl in 2 different places. I think McCarthy under achieved with 2 hall of fame qbs. I’ve never been impressed with his in game management or overall schemes. He’s won because of Favre and Rodgers going off script more often than not. I’d rather take a flyer on  Monken. 

Completely agree with this. I see a LOT of Bowles in McCarthy and always have. He is a terrible situational coach. He does not really adjust in games. He is stubborn to a fault and very rigid in his approach to offense. He has even stated that he feels the WC offense does not need tweaking, just execution. Sound familiar?

Reality is that he had 2 of maybe the Top 10 QBs ever. As in EVER. In all time NFL history.

And in addition he played in a division that for the majority of his time as head coach was actually WEAKER than the AFC East. 

He did win the super bowl and was a consistent winner, but I always felt that the Packers succeeded largely in spite of him because Favre and Rogers made so many plays off script. 10-8 in the playoffs

He just strikes me as a coach the NFL has passed by. Rigid, unadpaptable, not great with his players. Not a great game guy, scheme guy or coach that makes adjustments.

Hiring him would be a big mistake.

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

A note on race; this is not the site to discuss this stuff. Discuss the coaches based on their football merit and we won't have a problem. Let's just leave it at that.

So I guess a Wayne Chrebet rule is out of the question?? :beer:

1 hour ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

and the Johnson's have always shown a willingness to spend.

That can't be true; there are other threads which there is proof (meaning long posts with soft logic and guesses) that not only are the Johnson's cheap overall (100 mill in cap proves it), but they will never pony up money for a good HC or OC.

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

That can't be true; there are other threads which there is proof (meaning long posts with soft logic and guesses) that not only are the Johnson's cheap overall (100 mill in cap proves it), but they will never pony up money for a good HC or OC.

Since Johnson has owned the team, has the Jets HC ever been in the top third of HC salaries?

In his five seasons with the Jets, Edwards has compiled a 41-46 record and taken the team to the playoffs three times and won one division title. His salary, about $2 million per year, ranks in the bottom quadrant of head coaches. Facing a major rebuilding program, it is believed Edwards has sought a salary increase and possibly a contract extension.

Mangini: Terms of the deal weren't known but it is believed he will get between $2 million and $2.5 million per year over five years.

Rex got 4 years and 11.5 mill. 

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Completely agree with this. I see a LOT of Bowles in McCarthy and always have. He is a terrible situational coach. He does not really adjust in games. He is stubborn to a fault and very rigid in his approach to offense. He has even stated that he feels the WC offense does not need tweaking, just execution. Sound familiar?

Reality is that he had 2 of maybe the Top 10 QBs ever. As in EVER. In all time NFL history.

And in addition he played in a division that for the majority of his time as head coach was actually WEAKER than the AFC East. 

He did win the super bowl and was a consistent winner, but I always felt that the Packers succeeded largely in spite of him because Favre and Rogers made so many plays off script. 10-8 in the playoffs

He just strikes me as a coach the NFL has passed by. Rigid, unadpaptable, not great with his players. Not a great game guy, scheme guy or coach that makes adjustments.

You see a lot of Bowles in McCarthy?

Do you also see dead people?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Since Johnson has owned the team, has the Jets HC ever been in the top third of HC salaries?

And since hes owned the team has there ever been a coach that worked for the Jets who should have been paid with the top 3rd of the HC salaries?
Ass backwards logic that proves nothing.  

When did Mike McCarthy suddenly become this Hall of Fame type HC who, according to a lot of people here is going to come into this interview, lay down his demands, and have Macc, BH, and CJ bow down and hand him a pen and ablank check? I get that he (and Caldwell) is the most experienced candidate, but he's not Bill Belichek or Bill Parcells by a long shot.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And since hes owned the team has there ever been a coach that worked for the Jets who should have been paid with the top 3rd of the HC salaries?
Ass backwards logic that proves nothing.  

No, because the Jets havent looked to hire an established coach or a highly sought after coordinator.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

So since the Packers had Favre and then Rodgers, they could have just trotted out Rich Kotite and results would be the same? LOL. 

No.

Favre was thought to be in decline when Holmgren left. Do you remember that Ray Rhodes was the Packers head coach (1999)? LOL.

How about the Mike Sherman era? 

Mike McCarthy had Favre back into the MVP mix. He took a RAW QB in Rodgers and coached and developed his game to match his awesome but scattergun arm. 

He put a system into place, and that system had the Packers in the Playoffs more years than not. He wasnt the GM. He had an organization that wasn't aggressive in FA, and he wound up in a power struggle with a guy he taught how to play the game. 

He is the perfect guy to pair with Sam. Perfect.

I'm talking myself into McCarthy.

Every Jets coach I can remember has been a 1st time HC and a defensive minded guy. McCarthy is an experienced veteran HC specializing in QB development and offense. He's won 125 games. He made the playoffs 8 consecutive years and 9 times in 12 years. He's won a Super Bowl.

Really hard to complain about that in the grand scheme of things. 

A note on the money 

I was a headhunter for years. I can assure everyone that Mccarthys agent has already been told that the jets know his neighborhood on compensation and are OK with it or nobody wastes any time scheduling the interview 

These interviews last the whole day and the coach is expected to lay out a vision for the future of the team 

It probably takes 8 hours to prep for the interview and then 2 days to travel and conduct it. 

Sure a lot can go wrong  and the jets could blow it but strong mutual interest has already been established on both sides. 

I have a pretty good feel about it based on what I've read so far. 

Theses relocation searches are tricky, the wife could squash it, but if woody convinced Favre that he could hunt on his estate way back when then I think we can show the Mccarthys that they can be happy around Florham Park 

Relax and enjoy it! 

This is pretty exciting actually 

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm talking myself into McCarthy.

Every Jets coach I can remember has been a 1st time HC and a defensive minded guy. McCarthy is an experienced veteran HC specializing in QB development and offense. He's won 125 games. He made the playoffs 8 consecutive years and 9 times in 12 years. He's won a Super Bowl.

Really hard to complain about that in the grand scheme of things. 

Yeah, but our last offensive minded, experienced HC was Kotite.  Although I think the similarity ends there.  McCarthy has to be be a much better choice.

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody is being hired, much less negotiating a contract with lawyers, unless Macc signs off on the hire in the first place.

Put it this way.  If Mike likes candidate A and Chris Likes Candidate B.  Candidate B will be the coach.  Come on. Get Real. Chris's words: "I will pick the next HC".  It's on him, not Mac.  Mac and Dinger get to provide input. That is all. 

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

In McCarthy's tenure he has NEVER finished less than 3rd in his Division (which he did Only TWICE)... the jets have finished LAST for the Last THREE Consecutive Years.

See, but two problems with that. First the division has mostly been SO bad that he essentially started the season 5-1 or 6-0. Plus GB is a huge home field advantage. Yet they won 10 and 11 games a lot and a few times around .500 which meant they were not really that good outside of one of the weakest divisions in football and backed that up with a 10-8 playoff record. He may be better than Bowles but he is very very average

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm too young to really remember Kotite, but let's be real, Kotite's resume wasn't anywhere near McCarthy's.

I agree.  Just saw your post and started thinking to the last offensive expereinced HC, and that guy came to mind.   McCarthy would be a solid safe pick. We would be getting a guy with experience who has worked with a young talented QB and helped him flourish.  No reason to think he could not do that here.  College guys, young OCs may prove to be better someday, but they could also flame out making them riskier.  

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

See, but two problems with that. First the division has mostly been SO bad that he essentially started the season 5-1 or 6-0. Plus GB is a huge home field advantage. Yet they won 10 and 11 games a lot and a few times around .500 which meant they were not really that good outside of one of the weakest divisions in football and backed that up with a 10-8 playoff record. He may be better than Bowles but he is very very average

I mean, the NFC North has been substantially better than the AFC East most of that time.

The general consensus (althought somewhat unfair) is that we spot the Pats 6 wins every year.

I feel like if a coach agrees to interview it basically means he wants to the job... so if the jets offer him the job he’ll take it. It’s not line there are a ton of these opportunities laying around just waiting for McCarthy to make his pick.

Just now, Lith said:

I agree.  Just saw your post and started thinking to the last offensive expereinced HC.  McCarthy would be a solid safe pick. We would be getting a guy with experience who has worked with a young talented QB and helped him flourish.  No reason to think he could not do that here.  College guys, young OCs may prove to be better someday, but they could also flame out making them riskier.  

I agree. I was originally anti-McCarthy mainly because I was focusing on his faults but I think sometimes when a guy is around for a long time it becomes easy to pick him apart and we all become enamored with the "mystery box." But you know what? Most of the time the mystery box sucks.

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

A note on the money 

I was a headhunter for years. I can assure everyone that Mccarthys agent has already been told that the jets know his neighborhood on compensation and are OK with it or nobody wastes any time scheduling the interview 

These interviews last the whole day and the coach is expected to lay out a vision for the future of the team 

It probably takes 8 hours to prep for the interview and then 2 days to travel and conduct it. 

Sure a lot can go wrong  and the jets could blow it but strong mutual interest has already been established on both sides. 

I have a pretty good feel about it based on what I've read so far. 

Theses relocation searches are tricky, the wife could squash it, but if woody convinced Favre that he could hunt on his estate way back when then I think we can show the Mccarthys that they can be happy around Florham Park 

Relax and enjoy it! 

This is pretty exciting actually 

The bold is potentially an issue.  Just looked them up.  The McCarthys are a big family.  A MidWestern group.  Both Mike and his wife have kids from a previous marriage, plus a couple of newer ones on their own.  It's a Brady bunch mess.   The wife could definitely quash a move to NY/NJ.   Or maybe even one of the other parents due to some legal stuff... who the hell knows?

26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So since the Packers had Favre and then Rodgers, they could have just trotted out Rich Kotite and results would be the same? LOL. 

No.

Favre was thought to be in decline when Holmgren left. Do you remember that Ray Rhodes was the Packers head coach (1999)? LOL.

How about the Mike Sherman era? 

Mike McCarthy had Favre back into the MVP mix. He took a RAW QB in Rodgers and coached and developed his game to match his awesome but scattergun arm. 

He put a system into place, and that system had the Packers in the Playoffs more years than not. He wasnt the GM. He had an organization that wasn't aggressive in FA, and he wound up in a power struggle with a guy he taught how to play the game. 

He is the perfect guy to pair with Sam. Perfect.

Completely disagree. I dont think he is a good situational QB which is really important in today's NFL, defenses have caught up to the stock WC offensive scheme and he is very stubborn about adjusting it, and his steadily decreasing results bear that out. He will be an awful failure here.

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The bold is potentially an issue.  Just looked them up.  The McCarthys are a big family.  A MidWestern group.  Both Mike and his wife have kids from a previous marriage, plus a couple of newer ones on their own.  It's a Brady bunch mess.   The wife could definitely quash a move to NY/NJ.   Or maybe even one of the other parents due to some legal stuff... who the hell knows?

Or they might just encounter some of the locals ?

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Lions were fined $200K when they hired Mooch in 2002.

I'd say its up to a cool Million, along with the headache of the SJ firing squad Media.

Not a good play. Follow the rules, who knows, maybe Kris Richard winds up our DC.

You are right. Not worth it however if McCarthy and the Jets want each other it forces them to do the fake interview which is more harmful in my opinion by perpetuating a fraudulent process.

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No, because the Jets havent looked to hire an established coach or a highly sought after coordinator.

Really isnt the point whether youre right or not.  Your point is they wont spend and youre using ass backwards logic that because theyve hired assts, like most its due to being cheap.

Yet you havent come up with one HC they wanted to hire who would have cost them and they refused to pay.  

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the rule is good but this is the type of situation I wish they could fix. If the Jets interview McCarthy first and are sure they want to hire him they shouldn't be forced to interview another person first just to satisfy a rule. That's doesn't satisfy the spirit of the rule and it's not productive for anyone involved. Imagine losing out on the candidate you want because you had to let them walk out the door for this?

It’s pure stupidity. The rule is more disrespectful to minorities than anything. Don’t offer me an interview based on my ethnicity, offer me an interview because I meet your qualifications. 

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I know because buffalo & Miami have been such stalwarts this past decade.  ?

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing to stop you from interviewing a McCarthy, if all goes well hiring him and doing a wink, wink agreement that wont be announced until after the Rooney Rule is complied with.  Unless of course they interview an assistant between now and McCarthys interview date

Its stupid but has to be done

Next thing you know there's a federal subpoena arriving at 1 jets drive from Mueller.

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Completely disagree. I dont think he is a good situational QB which is really important in today's NFL, defenses have caught up to the stock WC offensive scheme and he is very stubborn about adjusting it, and his steadily decreasing results bear that out. He will be an awful failure here.

Sean Peyton has 1 SB with Drew Brees and recently had a stretch of going 7-9 for 3 straight years. Aside from his Taysom Hill wildcat garbage, he runs a pretty traditional WCO. I guess he sucks, too....lol

Its about DEVELOPING SAM. McCarthy does that as good or better than anyone in the league....and is an experienced and respected Head Coach. Let me guess, you want the latest Lane Kiffin? Please. 

Get Sam developed. Put an adult in charge to build a foundation. If we havent won 'enough' in 5 years, the worst case scenario is we have an exceptionally coached and prepared 26 year old FQB we wont hesitate to pay. 

But with Brady at 42, the Dolphins imploding again, and the Bills trying to pretend their 6'5" Running Back is the future, with Sam and McCarthy in a professionally developed and coherent Offense, I think the Division will be there for the taking. 

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

It’s pure stupidity. The rule is more disrespectful to minorities than anything. Don’t offer me an interview based on my ethnicity, offer me an interview because I meet your qualifications. 

You're obviously welcome to your opinion but I think the people who have gotten hired because they were given this opportunity would disagree. No one is getting a job because they're a minority, they're getting a job because they impressed ownership in an interview with their qualifications. Given that ownership is a bunch of old white dudes they historically haven't had a lot of connections with minorities. So naturally, not having connections with minorities that ARE qualified, they weren't being hired. That is less true today than it was 25 years ago, but still is a thing.

Archived