Jets to interview Mccarthy

Rhg1084

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I don't think he is the right guy. Hopefully its just an interview to leverage Cleveland. Makes more sense for him to go there anyway.

I understand... I'm Not Pro McCarthy but I can't say he hasn't been Very Successful & I'm not going to try & white wash his record... the jets have been pitiful of late... since 2000 (18 yrs) the dolphins have finished w/10 or more wins 5 times... the bills- ZERO... the jets - 5 times.... in 12yrs McCarthy has done it 8 times.

I was never impressed with McCarthy winning only one SB with Rodgers. Seemed like there should have been more.

However, having watched film on him in conferences, his record as a whole, he's the standout guy. 

I am intrigued with the other candidates and we may need to ride with one of them, but McCarthy is the most credentialed guy.

I think once he sees the facility, meets the people, spends time with Sam, it will be hard for him to walk away.

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Moving from Green Bay to NY/NJ?  The kids might as well be in a different country.  The only thing in common is the English language... most of the time...

The jets have designated wife handlers I'm sure 

Full court press! 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Coaches. In order to get anyone of relevance to come here you have to be willing to pay. McCarthy isn’t going to get paid what Bowles got paid to coach the Jets, which I believe was equal to Maccagnan (another potential issue)

You can knock the Jets for plenty but cheaping out on good coaching?

Name the top tier head coaches that were available when the Jets hired Bowles and Ryan that they ignored in favor of saving a few million

I recall they paid Parcells and paid Bellicheck as if he was a head coach while he served as def coordinator.   Was that cheap?

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

You can knock the Jets for plenty but cheaping out on good coaching?

Name the top tier head coaches that were available when the Jets hired Bowles and Ryan that they ignored in favor of saving a few million

I recall they paid Parcells and paid Bellicheck as if he was a head coach while he served as def coordinator.   Was that cheap?

Parcells and Belichick were here under Hess. It's not necessarily cheaping out on coaches, it's the refusal to create a legit hierarchy of command. Having a GM and HC, both in the bottom third of salaries, indicates the Johnson's have too much say in football matters. It's really the only explanation on why they havent hired a President of Football operations or have the coach report to the GM.

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

In this scenario they signed Dee Ford.  Hey, I can dream can't I. 

Seriously McCarthy will be told that he will get whatever free agents he wants.  At least they will try to sign them.  I see Mac's role will be similar to the one that Tannenbaum had with the difference being he will be taking his marching orders from McC and not Terry Bradway!

I’d rather dream that Bosa falls to the third pick.   Probably more likely too

11 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I don't see how salary of the HC is relevant. Chris Johnson gave Bowles a two year extension for an additional 8 mill for no reason. He should offer Mcarthy the Gruden  contract and be done with it.

McCarthy won one super bowl with a legend at qb. What makes him with 100 million for ten years other than him being a name you recognize?

I don't mind signing him but let's not act as if he deserves blank check treatment. 

37 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I feel like if a coach agrees to interview it basically means he wants to the job... so if the jets offer him the job he’ll take it. It’s not line there are a ton of these opportunities laying around just waiting for McCarthy to make his pick.

Eh, I take interviews to work on my pitch. Sometimes to get an offer that can be leverage with current employer. Sometimes to get my name out there.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is big because McCarthy has already turned down Arizona as far as I can tell!

He said that he was going to take his time, be very picky and select the best location. Sure he’ll do his tour of intrested teams and go from there.

turning down the Cardinals for even an interview is pretty eye opening though. Wonder if he just doesn’t like the area or didn’t feel great about developing Rosen.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Any HC is going to get at least 3-4 years.  4 is the usual, he might get 5.  Means that the HC will be on the books longer than Macc, beyond his contract.  HC needs no assurances, hes getting paid.

I would bet that after a HC is hired Maccs contract is adjusted to pay him through the end of whoever is hired.  

I think Mac could work well in a more of a support role for Mccarthy. He should be the ones calling the shots who do sign, draft. It’s seem Mac did that for Bowles, so with a actual competent HC calling most of the shots, they could work well together. Maybe that is why He is interested in the job, he sees he wouldn’t be coming to a team with a real established Gm who would have all the power over him.. 

there is no need to box them in with Mac with another extension. It is not like the HC, where “lame duck “ could have an effect..  No player is worrying about who the gm will be in 2 yrs when signing his contract :) 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Think about what you just wrote. You do realize that Macc is going to be the one interviewing him, right? Then the contract. Do you think they are planning to offer him a 2-3 year deal? Your final assumption that Macc will be fired in a year or two? The only way that happens is if the new HC is a total wash out. You're just going to have to put on your big boy pants, because Macc is going to be here for a while. Deal with it.

Lol ok delusional Mac lover ? I guess you missed the reports where johnson said the new HC will report directly to him, not your boy Mac ?‍♂️Lol you really honestly think this will be macs decision? Like he will have a big say on who the HC will be ?? dude mac is on thin ice, another yr of bad drafting , bad contracts and he is gone next jan. But I do believe he could be a good yes man for a established winner like McCarthy.. 

56 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Moving from Green Bay to NY/NJ?  The kids might as well be in a different country.  The only thing in common is the English language... most of the time...

Look he’d live in suburban NJ. That area is pretty nice  Not the city and something Tannenbaum sold Favre on when he talked him into signing with us. And close enough to the city to go to a show spend a few days shopping etc and go back home. Also not far from the Jersey shore. He’s rich enough to keep a place in Green Bay if he wants to. 

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He said that he was going to take his time, be very picky and select the best location. Sure he’ll do his tour of intrested teams and go from there.

turning down the Cardinals for even an interview is pretty eye opening though. Wonder if he just doesn’t like the area or didn’t feel great about developing Rosen.

Pure speculation but I think it’s pretty obvious this is 99% about Sam Darnold v the other QBs and 1% the cap space.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look he’d live in suburban NJ. That area is pretty nice  Not the city and something Tannenbaum sold Favre on when he talked him into signing with us. And close enough to the city to go to a show spend a few days shopping etc and go back home. Also not far from the Jersey shore. He’s rich enough to keep a place in Green Bay is he wants to. 

I tell people here in the south..give me 45 minutes from ANY city in the northeast and without traffic I can drive you to a milk farm.  Northern NJ is no issue at all. He has plenty of coin, can live 1/2 hour west or north where the burbs are expensive enough to keep the average low end Jets fan at bay. :)  

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

Pure speculation but I think it’s pretty obvious this is 99% about Sam Darnold v the other QBs and 1% the cap space.

So here we are staring Baker v Darnold in the face again but this one in a battle for a head coach looool.

Sam reminds everyone of Aaron Rodgers play style wise but Baker showed to be a top 12 QB in his rookie year.

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

McCarthy won one super bowl with a legend at qb. What makes him with 100 million for ten years other than him being a name you recognize?

I don't mind signing him but let's not act as if he deserves blank check treatment. 

Sean Peyton: 1 SB win in 13 years with Brees

Tony Dungy: 1 SB win with Manning 

Bill Parcells: 2 SB wins in 30 years (Both with dominant Defense in a bygone age)

Don Shula: see above, but 40 years and Marino for 2 decades.

Marty Schottenheimer: O'fer

Don Coryelle: O'fer

Marv Levy: O'fer

Bud Grant: O'fer

Holmgren: 1 SB win (with Favre) in a nearly 20 year HC career. 

These are all HOF coaches. Nobody would say these guys couldn't coach, and most of (if not all) these guys were surrounded by HOF talent and most had HOF QBs. All had down years. All of them had at one time or another to readjust their approach or flip a roster. There are LEGENDARY Head Coaches with a "paltry" 1 or 2 Championships. McCarthy has one.

The point? Its freaking HARD to win a SB (if you aren't cheating your ass off, luck into the GOAT in the 6th round, circumvent the cap, and having your owner exert pressure on the competition committee). It takes talent, luck, amazing timing, peaking at the right time,  not having bad calls go against you (see above), and getting the lucky or timely right bounce. 

So when I see Jets fans dismissing a coaches accomplishment of winning a Lombardi, it just makes me laugh. "He ONLY has one SB win. Pshaw"...

LOL. Dumb.

9 minutes ago, Vader said:

I think it comes down to mayfield and darnold.  Mayfield is a bit more polished but is older and doesnt have a higher ceiling as  Sam. However the Browns have more talent obviously.  If we can sell him on the cap space and number 3 pick and even give him a lot of say in the talent acquisitions i think we have a good shot because of Sam

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So here we are staring Baker v Darnold in the face again but this one in a battle for a head coach looool.

Sam reminds everyone of Aaron Rodgers play style wise but Baker showed to be a top 12 QB in his rookie year.

temperament-wise Baker is more of a diva WR while Darnold has that humble Drew Brees demeanor. I think thats a huge determinative factor here. Personal relationships are huge — it’s why he was kicked to the curb after developing the QB (Rodgers) from scratch and winning a SB with him for the GB franchise.

You also have to factor in the players (and coaches) Mayfield and Darnold were working with. It’s not a fair comparison. That’s not to knock Mayfield’s chops. I’d like to see it on a more even playing field though, with Sam having some weapons and a real system on O.

At the end of the day Mayfield is a crotch-grabbing kid who may already have a bad reputation among his peers for what he did to Hue Jackson, and his overall antics. We don’t know. But Darnold’s personality v Mayfield’s may be a much bigger factor here than it seems  

Look most of us would take McCarthy. You can give us all the negative stats you want about him and not winning enough with 2 HOF QBs. If so who’s your perfect coach then. There isn’t one. He’s on paper the best coach available. Let’s hope if he comes here he wins another ring with his 3rd HOF QB. 

3 hours ago, Vader said:

I think the jets volunteered to the league to be a skunkworks of diversity. 2 of our last 4 coaches were former players, minorities. Then talk about QBs. The jets have drafted, signed and started black and Latino QBs. That’s going back over a decade also. 

why anyone would butt fumble this post is beyond me. You must think that being at the forefront of diversity on HC hires and starring QBs is the worst thing ever.

FWIW skunkworks is a positive thing — showing that the team served as a vehicle for the league to promote diversity by multiple means, at the vanguard of inclusivity and progressivism. 

The Jets have proudly been that franchise.

3 minutes ago, Vader said:

temperament-wise Baker is more of a diva WR while Darnold has that humble Drew Brees demeanor. I think thats a huge determinative factor here. Personal relationships are huge — it’s why he was kicked to the curb after developing the QB (Rodgers) from scratch and winning a SB with him for the GB franchise.

You also have to factor in the players (and coaches) Mayfield and Darnold were working with. It’s not a fair comparison. That’s not to knock Mayfield’s chops. I’d like to see it on a more even playing field though, with Sam having some weapons and a real system on O.

At the end of the day Mayfield is a crotch-grabbing kid who may already have a bad reputation among his peers for what he did to Hue Jackson, and his overall antics. We don’t know. But Darnold’s personality v Mayfield’s may be a much bigger factor here than it seems  

I think the Texan game was a good indicator too. I mean Sam faced a very tough defense and kept them on their toes all game and they were openly praising him afterward while Mayfield with better talent around him struggled mightily.  I think Darnolds mental toughness for such a young kid is very noticed by coaches

Just now, Jets723 said:

I think the Texan game was a good indicator too. I mean Sam faced a very tough defense and kept them on their toes all game and they were openly praising him afterward while Mayfield with better talent around him struggled mightily.  I think Darnolds mental toughness for such a young kid is very noticed by coaches

plus, mayfield’s short. ?

By my count we're down to 2 remarkably stubborn posters who seem to think Macc wields zero power.  They simply refuse to believe Johnson when he said he wouldn't hire anyone looking for control of the roster, and also ignore the words directly out of McCarthys mouth stating he doesn't want total control.

Even Shane and Buttman jumped ship.

This is progress.

Archived