Jets to interview Mccarthy

Rhg1084

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

McCarthy can write his own ticket to any of these jobs. The Jets don’t pay, their GM is a disaster, and the owner just threw his weight behind that disaster GM. Unless McCarthy is just window-shopping, he’s coming in here to case the joint to see how quickly he can stage a coup if the Browns get problematic because of Dorsey.

Since when don't  the Jets pay? Who haven't  they paid they wanted to leep. Don't  tell me Snacks. They wanted Wilk instead. It was a mistake bit they did pay the guy they wanted. 

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Mayfield has been a bit of an ass the way he carried on with Hue after he went to the Bengals. Im sure this hasn't  gone unnoticed by McCarthy. 

I was thinking about that too. Sure, at this moment the Browns have more talent. They traded for both Jamie Collins & Jarvis Landry both better than what the Jets have at those positions. 

But this is definitely not a playoffs or scram job, Browns had years of top 3 draft picks before getting Mayfield last year. 

Don't think that for one moment that Mayfield antics don't turn off an old school guy like Mike McCarthy. It's disrespectful what Baker did with the stupid stare downs. I'm sure McCarthy loves seeing the ole Dick Flop on the sidelines.

There is a mutual respect among coaches, even though Belichick & Rex weren't buddy buddy, he still sat Welker for a series when he made disparaging comments regarding Rex Wife & Rex foot fetish before the 2010 playoff game. 

He might be looking at this thing thinking Sam Darnold would be a pleasure to coach & mentor.

McCarthy can write his own ticket to any of these jobs. The Jets don’t pay, their GM is a disaster, and the owner just threw his weight behind that disaster GM. Unless McCarthy is just window-shopping, he’s coming in here to case the joint to see how quickly he can stage a coup if the Browns get problematic because of Dorsey.

At least the spelling is correct above.  Nothing else is.  

47 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the rule is good but this is the type of situation I wish they could fix. If the Jets interview McCarthy first and are sure they want to hire him they shouldn't be forced to interview another person first just to satisfy a rule. That's doesn't satisfy the spirit of the rule and it's not productive for anyone involved. Imagine losing out on the candidate you want because you had to let them walk out the door for this?

I personally don't agree with this statement, it makes a mockery of the whole situation just as you pointed out above, if you're good/great you Will be Noticed.

His decision could very well come down to Mayfield vs Darnold, but:

McCarthy's issues with the GB front office and their lack of aggressiveness in Free Agency are well documented.  The NY/NJ market is a much bigger draw for free agency than Cleveland, and the Johnson's have always shown a willingness to spend.  

In addition,  Mayfield is a strong personality & there is already a culture in Cleveland building around him.  I'm not sure McCarthy wants to deal with another QB who has the potential and personality to be "bigger than the team".  Our team, thanks to Bowles, has no culture. But this could bode well for us, as McCarthy could see it as more of a blank canvas.

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody here is a bigger Mayfield fan then I am, but after the situation McCarthy just went through with Rodgers, I never saw him wanting his "do over" with another alpha personality QB like Baker. Sam and his "Eli-type" make up seems a better fit.

McCarthy just got fired from his last job during the season because the QB didn't like him any more.

The Browns just fired their previous HC and OC during the season because the QB didn't like them any more.

Yeah. I'm sure McCarthy is in a real hurry to get himself some of that.

23 minutes ago, docdhc said:

No coach has ever won a super bowl in 2 different places. I think McCarthy under achieved with 2 hall of fame qbs. I’ve never been impressed with his in game management or overall schemes. He’s won because of Favre and Rodgers going off script more often than not. I’d rather take a flyer on  Monken. 

I know it isn't the popular opinion but I more or less agree.  Pack have been on tv a lot during McCarthy's tenure, his in game decision making is very odd to me.

He's the best we would have in a long time, but Im not sure he is really good.

At the very least it would give the organization some sense of stability/legitimacy where as is right now we appear like the absolute circus freak show we unfortunately are.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Hopefully this will finally squash this ridiculousness about the Jets job being terrible..

It was reported the Cards offered McCarthy FULL CONTROL and he'd rather interview working side by side with Macc.  Lets see how the haters spin this.

Whether he gets the job or not is irrelevant.  Making this his first interview speaks volumes.

He doesn’t want to waste Arizona’s time when he knows he won’t go there. He’d rather they focus on condidates that would accept the job.

For the Jets, he wants to waste our time so that all the good coaches are gone by the time he tells us he is not interested.

That’s my spin and I’m sticking with it.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Almost everyone on this board has it wrong when they see Maccagnan as a detriment to hiring a good HC candidate.  Not being required to report to, or held accountable by, that moron is a major PLUS to this job.   We've seen it here before.  Twice in the last two regimes.   The HC on the Jets gets his way on personnel matters.  So why wouldn't McCarthy want to come here?  It's freaking perfect for him.  He gets one of the two most promising young QB prospects in the league (which is why Cleveland is a competitor for his services), he will have almost complete say and freedom from the idiot GM and he knows he will be able to get Chris Johnson to side with him over anything stupid Maccagnan tries to do just as Bowles and Rex did with their assorted GMs.  He'll have huge say in the draft just like Rex and Bowles too.  Wow.  I'm surprised he hasn't landed at the airport yet.

This is a dream landing site for him.

With McCarthy, they may be on the same level, but he has the credentials/resume that won’t allow him to be thrown under the bus for Macc’s ineffectiveness.  I think, the not reporting to Macc, in this case totally changes the metrics for someone like him.  I’m not sure that’s case for everyone, but I’m fine with McCarthy should he want to come here.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well maybe McCarthy see's reporting directly to Chris Johnson as a positive thing?

Sure.. He will probably seek a five yr deal, knowing he isn’t going anywhere if Mac is canned in a yr or 2.. Plus he will command more $$ then a first time HC obviously, Mccarthy knows his future would not be tied to mac with a five yr deal. If they only offer say 3 yrs, that would leave possibility he could be canned with Mac in 2 yrs if new gm wants his own guy.

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

See, I dont get this Rooney thing anymore.  It was designed to instigate the interviewing of African American coaches. The Jets themselves have hired two African American coaches.  There are a lot of African American coaches.  Now they are getting fired just like everybody else (3?).  If I was Oriental, I would be really raising a ruckus.

if you were "oriental" you would be a rug hahahaha

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

With McCarthy, they may be on the same level, but he has the credentials/resume that won’t allow him to be thrown under the bus for Macc’s ineffectiveness.  I think, the not reporting to Macc, in this case totally changes the metrics for someone like him.  I’m not sure that’s case for everyone, but I’m fine with McCarthy should he want to come here.

If we used HC reporting to the owner to attract a good coach, I can't knock the Jets this time around. 

If we used it to attract Bowles, different story. 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

So you can see where the "nobody will interview here because of Macc" crowd is planting their flag now. Suddenly its become "This is the ideal job because Macc is an idiot and the HC can trample all over him." 

nah.  This has been my thought all along.  Never agreed with the idea that a solid HC candidate wouldn't come here because of Mac.  In fact I've said the opposite for a long time.  Not needing to report to the idiot is a major plus for any experienced HC candidate.   Of course, anyone in their right mind would have kicked Maccagnan to the curb beased on his terrible drafting and bad management of UFA.  But if Chris Johnson is going to keep Mr. Coffee around, thank God he is emasculating him to the point that an experienced HC would only consider Mac a nuisance at worst and a helper at best.  Works for me.  The only thing better would have been a clean sweep.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

Coaches.

Still a relevant question.  Since when have the Jets not been willing to pay a coach?  Who did we not sign over money? 

On one hand we complain that in essence we threw away millions extending Bowles and on the other we dont spend. 

1 minute ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Hmm till today, I thought it was only the Jets.  Any other teams employing the HC reporting to Owner structure?

Yes, its not a Jets only thing.  Shocking some owners like to talk to their HCs.  

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Since when don't  the Jets pay? Who haven't  they paid they wanted to leep. Don't  tell me Snacks. They wanted Wilk instead. It was a mistake bit they did pay the guy they wanted. 

Coaches. In order to get anyone of relevance to come here you have to be willing to pay. McCarthy isn’t going to get paid what Bowles got paid to coach the Jets, which I believe was equal to Maccagnan (another potential issue)

Kirk, Sugh and every other big name free agent that uses the Jets to hike up their asking price would disagree. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Still a relevant question.  Since when have the Jets not been willing to pay a coach?  Who did we not sign over money? 

On one hand we complain that in essence we threw away millions extending Bowles and on the other we dont spend. 

Since every coordinator they’ve hired? Herm was a DB coach that no one was looking at, Mangini was like 32 when the Jets hired him, and Rex had been passed over like 50 times. None of these guys commanded upper tier salaries. In order to land McCarthy, who’s won a SB, you need to pay him.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Oy..  like I said, you'll believe what you want despite the mountain of evidence, including his own words, that point to the contrary.

Lol @ "Mountain" of evidence.  More like a mountain of bull crap and lip service.   Chris Johson never lies:  "Todd Bowles is my Head Coach!"  Puhlease...   Since he refused to fire the doofus, I'm glad that the new HC won't have to report to the doofus.  He wouldn't even consider coming here if that were the case, so lets be at least thankful for that.  We deserve a break for a change anyway.

14 minutes ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

His decision could very well come down to Mayfield vs Darnold, but:

McCarthy's issues with the GB front office and their lack of aggressiveness in Free Agency are well documented.  The NY/NJ market is a much bigger draw for free agency than Cleveland, and the Johnson's have always shown a willingness to spend.  

In addition,  Mayfield is a strong personality & there is already a culture in Cleveland building around him.  I'm not sure McCarthy wants to deal with another QB who has the potential and personality to be "bigger than the team".  Our team, thanks to Bowles, has no culture. But this could bode well for us, as McCarthy could see it as more of a blank canvas.

Great point which I hadn't thought of.  The Jets can give him ultimate say on which free agents are targeted and signed.  I think Cleveland has not one but two divas: Mayfield and Dorsey.  Dorsey will have first and last say in who is drafted and signed.

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Kirk, Sugh and every other big name free agent that uses the Jets to hike up their asking price would disagree. 

Every team gets the same amount of cash to spend on player personnel. There is no cap on coaches and teams are free to spend whatever they want. My sense is the Johnson’s are hesitant to fork over big money because they want to control the operation. Hopefully this mindset is changing and they give McCarthy his asking price.

2 hours ago, Vader said:

His first year starting (like his 4th year) rodgers was 63% 28 TD and 13 int, and was tutored under Brett Favre. Mccarthy inherited Favre in his first years. If Favre was well done and Rodgers was medium rare, Darnold is still on the loins.

It is pretty much accepted history that Favre did nothing for Rodgers.  He basically shrugged him off.  Aaron did not like  Favre

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

McCarthy just got fired from his last job during the season because the QB didn't like him any more.

The Browns just fired their previous HC and OC during the season because the QB didn't like them any more.

Yeah. I'm sure McCarthy is in a real hurry to get himself some of that.

All true. Not only McCarthy but any other potential candidate should beware. Cleveland fans are all in on Mayfield. There is zero "he needs time to develop" talk. He's already a beloved figure there. Which is great for the fans, but also gives a cocky 23 year old license to do and say just about whatever he wants. So far his act is playing well because he's the guy who rode in and cleaned up Dodge (along with Dorsey, who is a straight up god there, the anti-Macc). The problem is, why would someone want a job where the QB and GM wield all the power and get all the respect? I don't know why they just don't leave well enough alone with Williams/Kitchens, but eff it, that's their problem.

48 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

You cheap POS... At least offer them band aids, the good water proof ones.

That was funny, ?but it is time to take the band aid off of this team and for the owners to clean out their ears and listen to this perfect hire.

Archived