A note to the board - we don't want to ban anyone else

Maxman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously though @Maxman, you certainly don't owe anyone any apologies or explanations.  It's definitely gotten a bit out of hand lately with some of the things being thrown around, and anyone not being spiteful knows it's an experience that's no fun for you or any of the mods, but is something that really needs to be done in situations like this.  Not to mention, with the season over and basically any "heat of the moment" type excuses gone along with it, much of this is only that much more ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I have banned more people this week than I can remember having to do before. We normally go months without anyone getting banned. The rules are simple, no personal attacks, no religion, no politics. This week several people have been banned for racist posts.

We are here to talk Jets. If you can't follow the rules you aren't welcome here. Shouldn't be that hard. We have been really relaxed here for a long time. We had almost 50,000 posts last month and we trust that people will be on good behavior here. When they aren't they are going to be shown the door.

I have asked the moderators to let less slide because so many people are taking advantage of our relaxed atmosphere. We don't want to ban anyone else, just talk Jets.

Speak for yourself. I gotta couple in me. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you perpetually-aggrieved weenie-boy snowflakes focused your impotent male angst on my fire posts, you’d save yourselves a lot of trouble

Jamal Adams has basically turned you into a  self emasculated broken record of butt hurt estrogen. So this is pretty ironic. 

I had that post up for literally nine seconds before realizing that some vegetable was going to take it literally, specifically thinking of Scott Dierking, then I edited it to avoid what I call a “Scott Dietking Issue,” And now it appears I was nine seconds too late. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It would be nice seeing this applied evenly.  One guy who's never said a bad thing in his life got lifetime banned for (admittedly) something quite bad.

Today someone else with a history of bad posts got no ban (so far) for something FAR worse and materially more abjectly racist.

/shrug, it's just a bit scattershot tbqh, which itself leads to people not taking it seriously.

JMO.

Agreed. It’s a shame there is no due process. I realize that this is not a federal court, but all should be showed some measure of grace.... IMHO

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed. It’s a shame there is no due process. I realize that this is not a federal court, but all should be showed some measure of grace.... IMHO

I want to be clear, my original post was in reaction to a very specific post today, and was probably too harsh.  More than most, I damn well know how hard it is to Mod a large community.  I STILL get abused over it now, years later by people who have no idea what trying to do so and do so fairly is like, especially as (like here) a voluntary Mod.  It's hard and thankless, end of story.

And let me be clear, Max and Co. do a damned good job, they do, period.  My post was because a single, specific, post I found way over the top seemingly had gone unnoticed, but as Max says, they don't make everything public, and I trust him, so be it.  I honestly was trying to help, I have full faith in Max to run this site as he's always done.  And if I screwed up that effort with my well-intentioned feedback, all I can say is I'm sorry to him.

Beyond that, all I can say is I agree, they're has been way too much racism lately, and I too hope it stops.  Let's talk Jets.  Nothing more from me.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I had that post up for literally nine seconds before realizing that some vegetable was going to take it literally, specifically thinking of Scott Dierking, then I edited it to avoid what I call a “Scott Dietking Issue,” And now it appears I was nine seconds too late. 

I used to call those Klecko issues.

It would be nice seeing this applied evenly.  One guy who's never said a bad thing in his life got lifetime banned for (admittedly) something quite bad.

Today someone else with a history of bad posts got no ban (so far) for something FAR worse and materially more abjectly racist.

/shrug, it's just a bit scattershot tbqh, which itself leads to people not taking it seriously.

JMO.

While your observation is valid, as a former mod you should know it’s hard to avoid arbitrary enforcement with different mods doing their best to uphold simple, but broad rules. Max gives posters the benefit of the doubt, I should know, and really encourages mods to mitigate stuff without bans.

Its really not the problem of the rules though. People should be better at being humans.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

While your observation is valid, as a former mod you should know it’s hard to avoid arbitrary enforcement with different mods doing their best to uphold simple, but broad rules. Max gives posters the benefit of the doubt, I should know, and really encourages mods to mitigate stuff without bans.

Its really not the problem of the rules though. People should be better at being humans.

I do.  See my later post on this page, I think it covers it.

12 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Jeez @Maxman I step away for a while and everything goes to hell. 

This should be a happy time for us. We appear to actually have a quarterback. 

The sample size is too small to verify whether there is really any correlation here.  Why don't you step away for a while longer, so we can all look into the matter some more?  Your contributions to the study would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Ugly racist BS.  Pretty much self immolation....I think @Gastineau Lives wanted to go out in a blaze of (un)glory.

Angelo got banned for racism? Really?

I'm sorry you decided to take it personally Max, and worse, decided to double down by making a personal attack yourself.

You don't want feedback?  Fine, no more feedback.  /shrug.

Facepalm. This is why I broke your balls totally in JI.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It’s not that hard to get away with whatever if the jokes are funny and the points are worth making. Which not coincidentally is what makes for good content in the first place.

Archived