Bizzaro Jets: EVERYTHING is different

JohnnyLV

If you think about it, it is really amazing how completely different the Jets will be next year. It will sort of be hard to recognize them. All preconceived notions and historical trends and tendencies are completely out the window. This could actually lead to a few extra victories for us next year. From a fan perspective it is even greater. Think about it:

1. New Uniforms and logo so the team wont even look the same (sticking with Kelly Green, grey and blue as primary colors as my specualtion)

2. Offensive minded head coach for the first time since Al Groh. EDIT: KOTITE!!!

3. Head coach that is the polar opposite of Bowles

4. Very aggressive coaches and approach to football which is completely different than Bowles

5. An emphasis on "modern" even forward looking schematic concepts. We have been trying to be a run oriented team in the face of a changing NFL. "Ground and pound" is finally dead!!

6. A good in game coach.  Gase may fail, but one thing he was good at in Miami was in game situational football which led to a VERY strong record in close games

7. Big one for me: NO QB COMPETITION. This is absolutely huge I think. Darnold could legitimately get more than twice the reps he got through OTAs and training camp then he did under "hedge your bets, I want a veteran" Bowles. The impact of this cannot be overstated. Darnold will make a huge leap from year one to two just from this

8. We have SAM DARNOLD. Seriously we have not had a QB centric team since Namath. Before many current Jets fans were even born.

9. Expect more prime time games. Yes, we sucked, but the Jets will be a new look team with one of the future QB stars in the NFL. Browns (Mayfoeld) Bills (Allen) Cowboys and  Giants are all intriguing prime time games that can get good ratings. 

10. Better coached. So far it looks like Gase is creating a coaching staff without fear, and one that will provide feedback to him even to a confrontation level. This is impressive. Bowles staff was so bad, there wasnt even an interim candidate

11. Players: We could see 50% turnover in the roster next year. New HC, new schemes, not many players under contract and a LOT of cap space means a very very different roster than the one we had this year. My hope is we avoid the really big ticket guys (including Bell) and use that money to create a young foundation team that is solid throughout the roster with great versatility and depth and look to find stars in the draft. I personally think trading down from #3 is a must. We are in maybe the best spot for a trade down, and we set the value last year so we can get a Top 8 pick and 3 seconds minimum for it for someone that wants the QB. If Bosa falls because of the name association we could get more

12. Post game interest: Not a huge one but pressers, the SNY post game show will all be more interesting next year

12. Last but not least: WINNING. I did not love the Gase hire, but I am starting to think Gase and Darnold will be a good marriage, the coaching staff is shaping up to be very strong. Williams Pollak and Boyer are a fantastc set of coaches for the most important non-HC staff positions, we will be younger and hungrier, and between the draft and FA we should have a much stronger roster top to bottom next year. I think we make the playoffs.

Regardless it will be one of the most interesting years as a Jets fan since the first two Rex years. 

some very good points.  yes there are lots of differences to this team.  way more than we've seen since mangini.  i say mangini because he's the one who brought in schitty.  and it looks like they're getting top tier coaches for the defense and some of the positions.  and the big one is finally having a qb that's worthy of starting out the season as no. 1.

now all we need is mac to come through and have a great draft and pick up key free agents.

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

7. Big one for me: NO QB COMPETITION. This is absolutely huge I think. Darnold could legitimately get more than twice the reps he got through OTAs and training camp then he did under "hedge your bets, I want a veteran" Bowles. The impact of this cannot be overstated. Darnold will make a huge leap from year one to two just from this

11. Players: We could see 50% turnover in the roster next year. New HC, new schemes, not many players under contract and a LOT of cap space means a very very different roster than the one we had this year. My hope is we avoid the really big ticket guys (including Bell) and use that money to create a young foundation team that is solid throughout the roster with great versatility and depth and look to find stars in the draft. I personally think trading down from #3 is a must. We are in maybe the best spot for a trade down, and we set the value last year so we can get a Top 8 pick and 3 seconds minimum for it for someone that wants the QB. If Bosa falls because of the name association we could get more

GOd I hope so!!

Nice OP @johnnysd

While we don't know all the changes; IMO the key change is the coaching staff and something you mentioned in your post.

Bowles' staff was perhaps, overall, the worst in the entire NFL, despite the staff being one of the largest.

Bowles reliance on Kacey Rogers was the height of madness and I truly believe that his unwillingness to let Rogers go or demote him was directly related to his being fired!

Bowles was a bad HC precisely because he put loyalty to his friends above winning games for the Jets which he was hired and paid to do.

This alone, a coach focused on winning, as his job title demands, will be worth at least being a Jet fan for a little while longer!

@johnnysd nice post

i wasn’t one of the ‘losing their sh!t’ crowd over the Gase hire, in fact I never really could get excited about McCarthy at all and I actually was pleasantly surprised when we went with AG. that said I recognise it’s a risky hire in a number of ways. I like your optimistic post but I find myself going in slightly the opposite direction to all those coming round to the Gase hire in one area. We keep lurching from one extreme to the other coaching wise. Herm was a rah rah ‘players coach’ so we went the other way with Mancini and his pseudo-cerebral hard ass routine and when that wore out it was back to being a rah-rah, media friendly players coach and comedy routine, then we went all serious and grown up with Bowles and plugged all the leaks.....and here we are off on another polar opposite. I just worry that somewhere in between is where the correct balance lies.

Ground and pound is most certainly not dead. It's only dead in NY because the Jets OL is terrible. It also probably doesn't make sense given the fact that we have a budding star at QB.

The form it would take for the Jets is to have an OL capable of dominating games. In other words, basically all of the working parts of a ground and pound but with a much more balanced play selection. 50% run, 50% pass straight through the season.

The 2009 Jets ran something silly like 59% of the time. GONE are those days because they don't need to compensate for a terrible QB.

With that said, the ground and pound is still a very viable approach to winning football games. It would be a great thing to utilize when the playoffs start in cold December games when the wind has severely limited the opportunity to pass the football. A football team capable of taking the onus off the QB is a truly great team in every sense of the word.

I enjoyed your post @johnnysd. Especially since I posted one in the "I'm tired of losing" thread about an hour ago that was about as pessimistic as yours is optimistic. Two different ways of looking at next year for sure, but I really hope we can look back next year and say you were the visionary!

The coaching staff is really coming together nicely. I’m in a wait and see mode to be honest. So far, I give a thumbs up to the coaching staff Gase is putting together. So I’m good with the owner and coaching staff. 

The GM needs to step up.  I’m excited about the direction of the team but a lot hinges on free agency and the draft. 

So, while you are right there’s a ton of changes to be excited about, the outcome won’t be different unless our new chefs have better ingredients to work with.

40 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I enjoyed your post @johnnysd. Especially since I posted one in the "I'm tired of losing" thread about an hour ago that was about as pessimistic as yours is optimistic. Two different ways of looking at next year for sure, but I really hope we can look back next year and say you were the visionary!

I dont think this will be sort of a middle ground type of hire. We are either going to be wildly successfull, quite possibly be a last to playoffs type team, or a complete media circus dumpster fire hit by a locomtive for the next 2 years

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I like your post even though I am admittedly one of the long-suffering fans who puked over the Gase hiring.  I don't, however, see MacMoron avoiding the big ticket guys because I really feel that he has to have a "win now" philosophy.  Regardless of what the Little Johnson said about no playoff mandate I feel that Macc's days are numbered if the team doesn't show significant improvement this year.  Remember, the logic behind keeping Macc was supposedly that he got decent players but Bowles didn't coach them up.  With a new coach that he helped hand pick, Macc will have no excuses this year if there is no significant improvement.

I wouldn't mind if they got one big name FA, either Bell (to help Darnold; I don't see a better, faster way to improve the offense) or a stud pass rusher.  Just not more than one.

48 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I dont think this will be sort of a middle ground type of hire. We are either going to be wildly successfull, quite possibly be a last to playoffs type team, or a complete media circus dumpster fire hit by a locomtive for the next 2 years

I feel EXACTLY the same way. The inclusion of so many potentially combustible parts to this coaching staff gives it a boom or bust feel. I'm ok with that though, considering what we had the last few years. Its worth taking a big chance here, what have we got to lose? The thing I'm concerned with more is the number of holes we need to fill at vital positions. Its a big ask to expect any GM to get it all fixed in a year, especially when the person responsible for the mess is the one we're asking to fix it.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Ground and pound is most certainly not dead. It's only dead in NY because the Jets OL is terrible. It also probably doesn't make sense given the fact that we have a budding star at QB.

The form it would take for the Jets is to have an OL capable of dominating games. In other words, basically all of the working parts of a ground and pound but with a much more balanced play selection. 50% run, 50% pass straight through the season.

The 2009 Jets ran something silly like 59% of the time. GONE are those days because they don't need to compensate for a terrible QB.

With that said, the ground and pound is still a very viable approach to winning football games. It would be a great thing to utilize when the playoffs start in cold December games when the wind has severely limited the opportunity to pass the football. A football team capable of taking the onus off the QB is a truly great team in every sense of the word.

Disagree with you, but not completely.  Ground an Pound as the Dominant Offensive Philosophy of a football team is indeed dead.  Teams that want to run the ball 60% of the time as an offense are simply not going to be successful.  The days of the 12+ play scoring drive dominating football are long gone.  Quick strike, passing offenses, with run mixed in are the present and future of this league due to player makeup, rule changes and design.  Ground and Pound  as a tool for shortening the game and  controlling the ball with a lead is effective and will always be a part of the game.

9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

he aksed if it was a word, and it looked like he misppelled it... twice , shrug..   if he was being ironic i missed it

I was being sarcastic, tongue in cheek as you always are.  I like that. You downvoted me for some reason, so I was trying to illustrate your point, to you.  No harm, no foul.  He did misspell it just as he reversed the letters in "gusy".

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If you think about it, it is really amazing how completely different the Jets will be next year. It will sort of be hard to recognize them. All preconceived notions and historical trends and tendencies are completely out the window. This could actually lead to a few extra victories for us next year. From a fan perspective it is even greater. Think about it:

1. New Uniforms and logo so the team wont even look the same (sticking with Kelly Green, grey and blue as primary colors as my specualtion)

2. Offensive minded head coach for the first time since Al Groh. EDIT: KOTITE!!!

3. Head coach that is the polar opposite of Bowles

4. Very aggressive coaches and approach to football which is completely different than Bowles

5. An emphasis on "modern" even forward looking schematic concepts. We have been trying to be a run oriented team in the face of a changing NFL. "Ground and pound" is finally dead!!

6. A good in game coach.  Gase may fail, but one thing he was good at in Miami was in game situational football which led to a VERY strong record in close games

8. We have SAM DARNOLD. Seriously we have not had a QB centric team since Namath. Before many current Jets fans were even born.

9. Expect more prime time games. Yes, we sucked, but the Jets will be a new look team with one of the future QB stars in the NFL. Browns (Mayfoeld) Bills (Allen) Cowboys and  Giants are all intriguing prime time games that can get good ratings. 

10. Better coached. So far it looks like Gase is creating a coaching staff without fear, and one that will provide feedback to him even to a confrontation level. This is impressive. Bowles staff was so bad, there wasnt even an interim candidate

12. Post game interest: Not a huge one but pressers, the SNY post game show will all be more interesting next year

12. Last but not least: WINNING. I did not love the Gase hire, but I am starting to think Gase and Darnold will be a good marriage, the coaching staff is shaping up to be very strong. Williams Pollak and Boyer are a fantastc set of coaches for the most important non-HC staff positions, we will be younger and hungrier, and between the draft and FA we should have a much stronger roster top to bottom next year. I think we make the playoffs.

Regardless it will be one of the most interesting years as a Jets fan since the first two Rex years. 

Oh, our young fans.  When you are young, you feel so optimists, naive and everything should be free.  I was this dude 25 years ago when we all thought Kotex was going to win us 10 SB.  

5 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

Oh, our young fans.  When you are young, you feel so optimists, naive and everything should be free.  I was this dude 25 years ago when we all thought Kotex was going to win us 10 SB.  

Wish I was young. I vividly remember Joe Namath winning the Super Bowl. I was actually a Namath fan first and then sort of just stuck with the Jets since.

6 hours ago, DRJETS said:

Off-season optimism has been the only thing keeping me a loyal fan for the last decade (cause it sure as sh*t hasn’t been the on-field “product”).

15 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Disagree with you, but not completely.  Ground an Pound as the Dominant Offensive Philosophy of a football team is indeed dead.  Teams that want to run the ball 60% of the time as an offense are simply not going to be successful.  The days of the 12+ play scoring drive dominating football are long gone.  Quick strike, passing offenses, with run mixed in are the present and future of this league due to player makeup, rule changes and design.  Ground and Pound  as a tool for shortening the game and  controlling the ball with a lead is effective and will always be a part of the game.

Exactly what I meant. Great clarification.

13 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

But he was a dees and dose guy!

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Off-season optimism has been the only thing keeping me a loyal fan for the last decade (cause it sure as sh*t hasn’t been the in-field “product”).

Not me buddy, I broke that mold especially after dumb move expecting different result.  I'm going in expecting the usual Jets sh*t so that I dont get disappointed. 

Archived