What should be done at Backup Quarterback?

Tony MaC

Sam's the guy going into 2019, but as of now he's the only QB on the roster. They need  backup and there are few options out there.

He might have been a good presence at Sam's side but it feels like McCown is done.

Davis Webb is an option, but will Gase find him a good fit in his offense or alternative if (knock on wood) Sam get's hurt?

My biggest bet is that Brock Osweiler winds up on the team. He's been under Gase's offensive system for three years out of his career and was with him in Miami last year. He'd bring a good amount of experience to the QB room and though he's proven he isn't a franchise QB I think he has a certain level of upside as a relief QB off the bench. It makes sense.

There are other options like Tyrod Taylor and the usual list of castoffs, Cassel, Weeden, Josh Johnson, etc. Given that our QB is a 22 year old and the team has other needs it feels like drafting a QB isn't gonna happen, so what do you all think will happen at QB2? (or QB3?)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would bring back Wolford if he will sign with us, though if he continues he may get signed with an opportunity to start for some team. No, fugg no to Brock friggin Osweiler. No to McClown. Get a young developmental guy. I might even take a risk and draft Haskins or Murray knowing that I will have an opportunity to trade him later maybe for more than I get trading out of the spot.

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That would not be bad at all imo.

Makes the most sense and Tannehill isn't good enough to go somewhere expecting to be given the starting role.

Get him on a 1 or 2 year deal coming back from injury and keep Davis as the 3 aka the backup in training.

54 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mccown is fine for another year.  Sam still needs a vet around.

Osweiller sucks.  He shouldnt be anywhere near Sam.

I agree Oz sucks. I'd resign Webb and draft a 6th-7th round backup. Don't want any of the phins losers here.

33 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Tannehill is in that 20-32 range of NFL QBs and as such I think he’ll find a spot as a starter.

Other than Jacksonville (and probably not even them) I don't see who he can be signed by as the presumed starter.  Foles will be the only vet QB that will be given assurances he'll be starting.

I suspect Redskins will be looking to move up for QB as they can't afford to pay Tannehill starter money given what they have tied up in Smith.

Foles will probably wind up in Miami as the starter.. Jville will draft a QB and sign Flacco...  Washington will try and move up ahead of the Giants for a QB..

47 minutes ago, varjet said:

If Webb can play, he should do it for <$2mm.

Otherwise McCown or someone like that similarly priced.

I think this year is Darnold or bust.  

Wish the idiot Todd would have given Webb some reps when Sam was hurt so we'd know a little about what we have.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I would bring back Wolford if he will sign with us, though if he continues he may get signed with an opportunity to start for some team. No, fugg no to Brock friggin Osweiler. No to McClown. Get a young developmental guy. I might even take a risk and draft Haskins or Murray knowing that I will have an opportunity to trade him later maybe for more than I get trading out of the spot.

Do you really want the idea of the Jets taking a QB at #3 again to be your Signature Post?  I'm not trying to be a d**k, but just think how that would go over in the world outside the room you typed it in.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mccown is fine for another year.  Sam still needs a vet around.

Osweiller sucks.  He shouldnt be anywhere near Sam.

1. McCown is done.  

2. We have a real coaching staff now, no need for a backup/QB coach

3. Osweiler is above average for a NFL backup qb

Archived