Free Agency Rumors (Jets Related)

KRL

1 hour ago, varjet said:

If the Jets can sign Flowers they should just go all in on the 4-3 defense.  

Draft Quinnen.  Sign Mosley.  

This.  Sign Flowers, draft Quinnen, and I wouldn't even mind if they traded Leo Williams for a 2nd rounder so we could come back with an OLineman or WR.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Why would we let Robby Anderson go?

Replacing a guy who already has spent a year with Sam, and who we have an option on at $3 million this year, to sign Tyrell Williams for $40 million makes little sense to me.  On top of that, we would then take the valuable draft capital and trade it to KC for Ford who we would then need to pay?

Robby has done a couple dumb things, but he played very well down the stretch, with a coordinator who didnt properly use him.  It would be much smarter to keep him and pay a slot type guy and see what Robby can do with Gase and Sam in year 2.

You have to pay Robby next year or lose him for nothing. You're comfortable paying him $12+ million a year over 4-5 years based on his production and his off the field antics. This is the same guy that averaged 3 rec and 48 yards in 12 of his 14 games played last year. He was awful for 90% of the season and you guys are acting like he was good all year. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LMAO. Flowers is an elite player. Sorry he didn't ignore his other defensive assignments and wrack up 4 more sacks to make the casual fans think he is good. 

We'll see, I think he is great and I would want him on the jets but elite??? No... But the jets will pay him like he is the best in the league

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So we will be replacing JAG' with other JAG's. 

Humphries has had a better career to this point then Robby. And we'd be replacing a JAG who tells cops he's going to **** their wives with JAGS who don't do that. So I'd be fine with it.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

We'll see, I think he is great and I would want him on the jets but elite??? No... But the jets will pay him like he is the best in the league

This is why you can't sustain success through the FA market. Overpaying is how work gets done. Either overpay or get nothing and build through the draft. This is what you have to do when you swing and miss on the draft board.

In other words, hell yes, you overpay Flowers

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Yeah sorry I’m just not in a rush to get rid of a young player that’s shown to get better each year and shown a nice connection with our young QB. 

Also the way Gase talked up Robby I would think he’s in their future plans. But I wouldn’t put it past Mac to F things up. 

Robby has not gotten better each year. Last year he was awful and non-existent for 90% of the games and the only reason he had ok stats at the end of the year was based on two big games.

18 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Robby is the same player as many of these free agents in this weak free agent class.  So you either pay them or pay Robby and with his off the field antics I'd look elsewhere. If there's a way to get a comparable player for the same money as you'd have to give Robby next year and then get a 2nd for him you'd be stupid not to do it.

Here's my problem with this post. On the surface it sounds reasonable, until you think about it for a minute.

Lets say you're correct, Robbie is the same player as these free agents.

If this is true, why would anyone give up a 2nd for him when they can get a FA just as good and keep their 2nd?

18 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Classic Mac move here... Overpay for an above average DE that acceled because of whose system he was in

Wow yeah this post is on point. If we have to over pay which we don't, let's do it on a guy that we know will produce because if talent not sytem

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Here's my problem with this post. On the surface it sounds reasonable, until you think about it for a minute.

If this is true, why would anyone give up a 2nd for him when they can get a FA just as good and keep their 2nd?

Because like everything else, supply is short. Humphries/Tate/Crowder don't equal Robby. The guys with Robby's skillset aren't really out there. I'd contend Tyrell Williams is that guy, but once he's gone that's it. You can spend a 2 trying to find a comparable player...or you could just go get Robby for that 2. 

1) there are not 31 other players in free agency who are the "same" as Robby.
2) the jets are trying to retain him which is why they put the tender on him. If another team offers him a contract it doesn't guarantee we lose him we can still match the contract. This is a way for us to retain him at what we hope is an appropriate value (if not we get compensation for not retaining him) or it buys us time to decide if we want to give him a big contract next year. People are getting worked up over nothing.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If you could get a 2nd I'd move him in a heart beat. I didn't say they would get a 2nd for him. Although I'd take less to move him IF they have no intentions on re-signing him AND you replaced him in FA.

2 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Because like everything else, supply is short. Humphries/Tate/Crowder don't equal Robby. The guys with Robby's skillset aren't really out there. I'd contend Tyrell Williams is that guy, but once he's gone that's it. You can spend a 2 trying to find a comparable player...or you could just go get Robby for that 2. 

John Brown has the same exact skill set as Robby and was on pace for over 1000 yards receiving last year after 9 games until Lamar Jackson took over and they stopped throwing the ball. He'd cost half as much as Robby with less years committed. Robby is a deep threat who can track the ball very well. Other then that he has not proven to be more than average on pretty much anything else a WR has to do.

8 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

1) there are not 31 other players in free agency who are the "same" as Robby.
2) the jets are trying to retain him which is why they put the tender on him. If another team offers him a contract it doesn't guarantee we lose him we can still match the contract. This is a way for us to retain him at what we hope is an appropriate value (if not we get compensation for not retaining him) or it buys us time to decide if we want to give him a big contract next year. People are getting worked up over nothing.

If the Jets were dead set on retaining him they would have paid the extra $1.3 million it cost to give him a 1st round tender and guaranteed he would get no offers from other teams. The 2nd round pick opens the possibility of him getting offers from other teams who have a major need. Colts, Bills, Redskins to name a few

13 minutes ago, choon328 said:

John Brown has the same exact skill set as Robby and was on pace for over 1000 yards receiving last year after 9 games until Lamar Jackson took over and they stopped throwing the ball. He'd cost half as much as Robby with less years committed. Robby is a deep threat who can track the ball very well. Other then that he has not proven to be more than average on pretty much anything else a WR has to do.

I shy away from Smokey just a bit because of injury history...but yes. I agree. And yes, I agree that the 2nd is to try to entice teams to bite on the offer.

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Robby has not gotten better each year. Last year he was awful and non-existent for 90% of the games and the only reason he had ok stats at the end of the year was based on two big games.

I'm not looking to argue, but if that's the bar you're setting for Anderson, you should say the same thing about Darnold and his 3 big games at the end of the season.

15 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If the Jets were dead set on retaining him they would have paid the extra $1.3 million it cost to give him a 1st round tender and guaranteed he would get no offers from other teams. The 2nd round pick opens the possibility of him getting offers from other teams who have a major need. Colts, Bills, Redskins to name a few

The only player the Jets should be "dead set on retaining" is Darnold

The 2nd round tender was a sound football decision by the Jets. They have RA this year for $3.1 mil, which he seems happy with. They have the option to match any unlikely offer for him or let him go for the 2nd round pick.

Either way you look at it, this move made both the team and player happy for the '19 season.

They might want offers from other teams so they can match it. If they put a first round tender we are the only ones making offer which I expect us to be anyway which means the negotiations will start at what he thinks his value is

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

The whole offense was awful. Darnold comes back and Anderson scores 3 out of the last 4 games. Why Jet fans want to get rid of our good players when we barely have any to begin with is baffling. 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I have read that he's the Colts #1 target and they have just as much money with less holes. I think he goes there. If the Jets bring in Humphries and Tate then Robby is gone. Those are the two I would target anyway.

I see both Tate and Humphries as complementary to Robbies Skillset.  They are possession receivers. RA is a go route 80% of the time with the ability to do more if necessary.  I don'y see siding either as saying anything about Anderson.  I also struggle to believe they are really trying to move him. Why move a young, inexpensive, successful receiver who has rapport with the young QB? The tender is so he can see his market and they may be able to save money on a contract. If they lose him, there is compensation. 

Am I wrong here ? 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Getting rid of young, hard working talent for no reason is silly. I understand trying to upgrade any position and all that, but we have a young WR who played well. Last year was an absolute cluster F with the offense. It was a terrible year for all parties concerned from the play calling, to misusage of players, to poor snapping, piss poor blocking, injuries to WR's, RB's and Sam, cutting WR's mid season, bringing in super Jags like Matthews and so much more.  I could go on forever.  Robbie Anderson was one of about 3 positives from one of the most putrid offensive showings in Jets history.  He played well and progressed. It makes very little sense to simply jettison him, no pun intended. 

He's a young man who made a couple of dumb mistakes. There is nothing habitual about his behavior. It's actually the opposite. 

Bring in Humphries and draft Deebo or someone. Add that to the 6 games enunwa will be healthy for and we're almost there. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

They might want offers from other teams so they can match it. If they put a first round tender we are the only ones making offer which I expect us to be anyway which means the negotiations will start at what he thinks his value is

Perfectly stated!  Let the market be the one to let him down easy and deflate any potential thoughts about his market value. If it's really high and we can't match it, we get a second. 

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

This dude saying Bell will go to the Ravens. Said he called AB to the Raiders couple days ago. Guess we'll see. 

I heard the same whisper months ago.  Posted about it here.  Wouldn't shock me either.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I heard the same whisper months ago.  Posted about it here.  Wouldn't shock me either.

Would be making a huge bet that Jackson makes big strides in the throwing dept. They don't want to be paying Bell a fortune to be the 2nd ball carrier.

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would be making a huge bet that Jackson makes big strides in the throwing dept. They don't want to be paying Bell a fortune to be the 2nd ball carrier.

RPO offense with Jackson and Bell seems ok to me. 

24 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

RPO offense with Jackson and Bell seems ok to me. 

Couldn't agree more. It would give Jackson an instant safety valve on passing plays and the thought of Jackson scrambling while having the threat of dumping off to Bell  would be very difficult to defend.

• ESPN's Rich Cimini reports the Jets are interested in re-signing free agent WR Andre Roberts.

Roberts was selected to the Pro Bowl (and named an All-Pro) for his work as a special teams return-ace last season. He averaged nearly 30 yards per kickoff return en route to bringing back both a punt and kickoff to the end zone during the year. The 31-year-old will likely garner interest from several teams once negotiations open on Monday.

The jets should be looking to sign offense....

If a key defensive player becomes available then take a look.  But right now should be all Sam!

there's short window in turning this kid into a legitimate franchise QB - if we can do that we have 15 years to build a defense around him.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The jets should be looking to sign offense....

If a key defensive player becomes available then take a look.  But right now should be all Sam!

there's short window in turning this kid into a legitimate franchise QB - if we can do that we have 15 years to build a defense around him.

But doesnt a good defense, that doesnt make him play from behind, gets good field position, and keeps the opposing defense on the field and tired equally as valuable?

There will be a day, when his contract pays him $25 million a year, that Sam will be asked to really win on his own.  For now, we should invest in the Oline and defense to grow with him, and splurge on someone like Leveon.  

15 hours ago, choon328 said:

Such nonsense. When Darnold played well. Anderson made plays. When Darnold struggled, everybody else did. That's why he was benched for 3 games.

Archived