Free Agency Rumors (Jets Related)

KRL

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The bolded aren't guys you draft at three, and trading down is not looking so likely right now.  So it's Bosa, Allen, or Williams.  Anything else is a gross mistake that will, likely, cost people their jobs.

One can only hope..........

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Macc has to show he can close the deal on one of these guys, maybe even tw2.  We hve been "in on" a lotta guys in past years, but haven't closed many deals with top talent.  

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Right, because Metcalf (WR who can't run routes) or Jonah Williams (T who should be a G and would fail as a T) are great picks for Sam Darnold, right?

So what ARE you getting to help Darnold, then?

What is your plan to build a top 10 Offense in 2019?

Everyone seems so focussed on Defense, the O gets little tlak beyond "er, just sign Bell..."

9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Metcalf has the ability to be a total freak show at receiver if he stays healthy and continues to work on his game.

Metacalf is a toy you take in the late 1st round at best

Sure, he could be Jerry Rice, but he also has Justin Blackmon, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams written all over him as well.  He is not worth that kind of risk at 3.  Its not even close

34 minutes ago, Lith said:

Macc has to show he can close the deal on one of these guys, maybe even tw2.  We hve been "in on" a lotta guys in past years, but haven't closed many deals with top talent.  

My thoughts exactly. I was instantly bothered by the “Lions are the fav to land Barr” line. We have the money and a promising QB to show off....but Macc has to get business done.

42 minutes ago, section314 said:

If you subscribe to the theory that it's not the player(excluding Brady), but it's the Pats system, then Flowers is probably going to follow Flores to Miami.

Maybe Patricia in Detroit is more likely.  Miami would have to make many more cuts to afford him.  

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

My thoughts exactly. I was instantly bothered by the “Lions are the fav to land Barr” line. We have the money and a promising QB to show off....but Macc has to get business done.

Yup.  Say what you want about Tanny, but he is the last guy we had who could consistenlty close deals with top talent: Favre, Faneca, Pace, Woody, LT, Scott, Taylor.  And adding Holmes, Edwards, Cro,  Jones through trades.  Didn't all work out, but he was able to bring in a lot of talent here.  

Metacalf is a toy you take in the late 1st round at best
Sure, he could be Jerry Rice, but he also has Justin Blackmon, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams written all over him as well.  He is not worth that kind of risk at 3.  Its not even close
Justin Blackmon was a great player but could not stop doing drugs. I think metcalf has bust written all over him due to overhype but i don't foresee any reason to believe he will have drug issues.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I feel like Anthony Barr really wants to sign with a west coast team. If he signed with NYJ it would bolster the LB corp for sure.

After watching him in Minnesota the last 4 years, I think a change of scenery would be good for both teams. He's frustrating in pass coverage, but I don't believe he has even peaked yet. Greg Williams can coach him up and he could turn out to be elite in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Part of the problem is not every player wants to live in the NE.  Barr is an LA kid who has been playing in Minn.  

If the money is close, it's hard to say if he wants to move to NY.  Jets have run into this before.  Weak team in an area that the player doesn't want to bring his family to.  I want Barr, we'll see if he wants to be here.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

So what ARE you getting to help Darnold, then?

What is your plan to build a top 10 Offense in 2019?

Everyone seems so focussed on Defense, the O gets little tlak beyond "er, just sign Bell..."

Multiple O lineman, Bell or Coleman, a veteran slot receiver (Humphries, Beasley, Tate, etc.), all via FA.  Thats what I would like.  Jonah Williams and Metcalf aren't doing anything this year that would make us a top ten offense.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Multiple O lineman, Bell or Coleman, a veteran slot receiver (Humphries, Beasley, Tate, etc.), all via FA.  Thats what I would like.  Jonah Williams and Metcalf aren't doing anything this year that would make us a top ten offense.

This will make it a good FA period.  2 starting OL -- it is one position where I would be willing to overpay to get my guy.  Paradis/Morse & Saffold will be ideal, but it never works out that way with the amount of competition for these guys.  Overpay for OL and we can solve for edge in the draft.  Miss out on OL in FA and we may need to reach for a starter at 3.

33 minutes ago, Lith said:

This will make it a good FA period.  2 starting OL -- it is one position where I would be willing to overpay to get my guy.  Paradis/Morse & Saffold will be ideal, but it never works out that way with the amount of competition for these guys.  Overpay for OL and we can solve for edxage in the draft.  Miss out on OL in FA and we may need to reach for a starter at 3.

Exactly.  I'm hoping we come away like we did in 08.  Obviously hope we can fill the holes left a few years later, but the potential is there for a great off-season.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:50 PM, prime21 said:

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor
The skill set and splash plays didn't always add up to excellent overall production, although his contract year went well. It's a bit of a concern that a great defensive coach like Mike Zimmer didn't consistently get more out of him.

Saw that too. Kinda bothered me.  May be an aberration.  May be a sign.  Am sure that Williams has a better grasp on the reason, and their pursuit of him or not will give us that answer.

19 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

A month ago he was outside the top 15.  It would be amazing to see a WR move that far up the board simply because of the combine.

"Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be an easy way for the team to currently acquire him. It’s unlikely that Metcalf goes in the top 15 picks, meaning that even if the Jets were to trade back, they likely still wouldn’t be in his range unless they were to trade back very far." - Justin Fried via thejetspress.com

https://thejetpress.com/2019/01/26/new-york-jets-2019-nfl-draft-profile-dk-metcalf/

As great as a prospect he is on paper, because of his lack of route running skills and consistent drops, he may not have the early impact that is expected of a 1st round WR.  His profile seems along the same lines as Mike Williams a couple of years back.  Maybe 2 - 3 years down the line he will help Darnold, but hopefully the Jets are looking at immediate impact guys in this draft.

Classic workout / Adonis type guy.  Look great in the gym and when being timed.  Unfortunately, the Jets don't compete in Track & Field or the Mr. Olympia Contest.  What are the two most important skills for a WR?  Running accurate routes (so you'll be where the QB expects you to be) and catching the ball (so that when the QB gets it there it becomes a completion.  What are Metcalf's two biggest concerns? Route running and hands.

I have no idea who the Jets will ultimately sign. However, when you look at the 3 players they did not tender and all the unsigned FAs they have, the team looks like they are really setting up to maximize their cap space so they can offer some ridiculous contracts. 

On 3/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, johnnysd said:

Every draft pick in the NFL is rolling the dice, you just have better dice at 3 then at 33. QW would be the dumbest pick of all time for this team, for both football reasons and PR reasons and SAM DARNOLD reasons.

That's 3 reasons  :) 

6 hours ago, rayzor said:

This is kinda odd. Give up a draft pick for a soon to be 33 year old TE.  He must be decent?

He's a very good blocker. Seems like a good guy too - he was in some nice scenes in Hard Knocks where he was basically teaching Devon Casuste how to block.

I'd like Fells if he gets cut, or I would trade an unwanted depth player for him, but I wouldn't give up a pick.

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

Not free agency but relevant

Meh. We are short on draft picks as it is, I don't understand the logic in this move. It's a very good TE class, they could pick one with 1 of their third round picks. 

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Meh. We are short on draft picks as it is, I don't understand the logic in this move. It's a very good TE class, they could pick one with 1 of their third round picks. 

Mac’s big offseason splurge is off to a great start! Lol i know free agency hasn’t even started yet. I just feel he’ll screw it up.

If it’s just a conditional 7th then its worth it. He’s an extra olineman basicslly, which we should stack up as much OL as possible. 

To your point we can and should definitely look at TE in the draft. Good value can be had in the 4th round too. Deep position in this draft.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Mac’s big offseason splurge is off to a great start! Lol i know free agency hasn’t even started yet. I just feel he’ll screw it up.

If it’s just a conditional 7th then its worth it. He’s an extra olineman basicslly, which we should stack up as much OL as possible. 

To your point we can and should definitely look at TE in the draft. Good value can be had in the 4th round too. Deep position in this draft.

Macagnan is a joke

Things are gonna her ugly here

Archived