Poll: Which player would you want at #3 if we have a choice between Bosa, Allen and Q Williams?

TuscanyTile2

Which player would you want at #3 if we have a choice between Bosa, Allen and Q Williams?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you want at #3 if we have a choice between Bosa, Allen and Q Williams?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2019 at 02:53 AM

I know this is very similar to the other thread but this one is a poll and it adds Bosa into the mix.  Honestly I don't know enough about these guys to have an opinion.  I've also heard positive things about Clelin Ferrell but I guess he's not in the class of the other 3?

Do not want Defense, at all, at #3.  

Hell, I'd be happy if we just pick the very best rated Offensive player at our spot at every single pick we have in 2019.

That's how deeply talent-deficient and hapless our offense has been now for far too long.

Hell, I'd be happy if we just pick the very best rated Offensive player at our spot at every single pick we have in 2019.
That's how deeply talent-deficient and hapless our offense has been now for far too long.
That would be a poor strategy in a draft that is heavy with defense. If you reach for an offensive player with our third round pick there would likely be a significant gap in talent with the best available defender. Even at pick three there will be a pretty large gap. Darnold should be our priority but having a defense allows the ball to get back into darnolds hands sooner.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's just the luck of the draw. I'd love for them to take an OT or WR in the top 5, but it's questionable as to whether or not Williams or Metcalf are in that tier. They shouldn't reach for offense and ignore defensive talent, gotta play it by ear not work by what came in drafts past,

My quasi-related question is whether the Jets’ “decision” to stick with the 3-4 actually drives the draft pick.

The Jets have run the 3-4 since Mangini took over.  Looking at draft picks, Sheldon was arguably a 4-3 DT but could play in the 3-4, Mo was probably the other way around, Coples was a 4-3 DE (and not very good), Williams is probably better as a 4-3 DT, Lee is a 4-3 LB, Jenkins is arguable a better 3-4 OLB but played 4-3 DE in college.

So, basically, the Jets have not really drafted for their system for over 10 years.  

They will approach FA supposedly to fill holes in a 3-4 defense.  We will see if that actually happens.  But 2/3 of the likely BPA would be great 4-3 players, although theoretically only the 3-4 player could be there for the Jets to pick.

I can’t wait to see how this turns out.  

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Bosa is such an obvious pick it's not even remotely close.  If they passed on him it would be an enormous mistake.

Despite the serious need for OL and skill slots, you cannot pass on this guy. A no brainer. 

26 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Despite the serious need for OL and skill slots, you cannot pass on this guy. A no brainer. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

All you non-Bosa voters please report to the croquette forum and stay there forever

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Bosa is such an obvious pick it's not even remotely close.  If they passed on him it would be an enormous mistake.

I don't follow college football much at all, so most of my knowledge comes from this board.  I chose not to vote, because I really don't think I know enough about these guys, but they all seem to have some downside potential:

Bosa  - Injury history, chose to stay rather than prove he was healthy, potential product of being on an elite team?

Allen - Speed rusher without much in pass rushing moves could potentially be neutralized on the next level

Williams - Another (elite) f'n defensive tackle.

Question to you is what makes Bosa such a clear cut number 1?

14 minutes ago, prime21 said:

If we pass on Bosa then you will have the #2 guy on your hit list after Adams.

Bah. I’m resigned to either Willians or Allen because we all know Maccagnan lacks guts. Both guys are ostensibly pass rushers, so you can’t hate it too much in terms of value. What *would* annoy the sh*t out of me, however, is if we draft Williams and the Raiders turn around and trade the fourth overall to, like, the Redskins for a giant haul of picks. 

2 minutes ago, pajet said:

I don't follow college football much at all, so most of my knowledge comes from this board.  I chose not to vote, because I really don't think I know enough about these guys, but they all seem to have some downside potential:

Bosa  - Injury history, chose to stay rather than prove he was healthy, potential product of being on an elite team?

Allen - Speed rusher without much in pass rushing moves could potentially be neutralized on the next level

Williams - Another (elite) f'n defensive tackle.

Question to you is what makes Bosa such a clear cut number 1?

Injury history is a bit much. Bosa shut it down once OSU was not going to the BCS. Other than that, there's nothing scary about him. If he's there at 3 and you do not pick him , you are making a Not Taking Mahomes at 6 Level Overthinking It Phvck Up. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Injury history is a bit much. Bosa shut it down once OSU was not going to the BCS. Other than that, there's nothing scary about him. If he's there at 3 and you do not pick him , you are making a Not Taking Mahomes at 6 Level Overthinking It Phvck Up. 

Thanks for the feedback....fair enough....that is why I asked....all I knew he was hurt last year and shut it down.   Havn't had time to do further research.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Bah. I’m resigned to either Willians or Allen because we all know Maccagnan lacks guts. Both guys are ostensibly pass rushers, so you can’t hate it too much in terms of value. What *would* annoy the sh*t out of me, however, is if we draft Williams and the Raiders turn around and trade the fourth overall to, like, the Redskins for a giant haul of picks. 

I'm for Bosa or Williams.  I'm with you.  If the Raiders did something like that then this board will explode.

no to Q, we're not winning more games with another 1st round DT.  the same people who say we should take him will be complaining week 3 of the regular season that 1) the OL was not upgraded enough, 2) the offensive weapons were not upgraded enough, and 3) there is still no pass rush.  

If we draft Bosa or some other "EDGE!" guy, will we field a top 10 Defense, in scoring and yards, in 2019? 

Are we going to win 4-6 more games in 2019 because of a Bosa?

Didn't we just hire Greg Williams?  Are we now saying he can't coach a decent Defense unless we have high 1st rounders at every position?

Williams, Lee, Adams, now Bosa?  4x high first rounders, surely that would be a guaranteed top 10, nay, top 5 defense then, right?

I just don't get it, tbqh, this obsession with Defense.  It doesn't work.  Offense wins, period.  Defense doesn't, you just lose closer, boring games.

And this draft, if it is thinner on Offense, just means the best Offensive players will be gone sooner and leave nothing in the later rounds.

Are we really going to do yet another "fill-the-gaps-with-Macc-signable-JAG-and overpriced-old-FA's" while spending our money and draft picks yet again on Defense?  Are we really going to expect Darnold to win with this shaky talentless O-line, and WR's like Anderlols?  Don;t we ever want to be a top 10 offense again?

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we draft Bosa or some other "EDGE!" guy, will we field a top 10 Defense, in scoring and yards, in 2019? 

Are we going to win 4-6 more games in 2019 because of a Bosa?

Didn't we just hire Greg Williams?  Are we now saying he can't coach a decent Defense unless we have high 1st rounders at every position?

Williams, Lee, Adams, now Bosa?  4x high first rounders, surely that would be a guaranteed top 10, nay, top 5 defense then, right?

I just don't get it, tbqh, this obsession with Defense.  It doesn't work.  Offense wins, period.  Defense doesn't, you just lose closer, boring games.

And this draft, if it is thinner on Offense, just means the best Offensive players will be gone sooner and leave nothing in the later rounds.

Are we really going to do yet another "fill-the-gaps-with-Macc-signable-JAG-and overpriced-old-FA's" while spending our money and draft picks yet again on Defense?  Are we really going to expect Darnold to win with this shaky talentless O-line, and WR's like Anderlols?  Don;t we ever want to be a top 10 offense again?

for all the overhype about the defensive players at the top of early draft boards there will be OL taken in the first round who will have very good careers.  i'd rather have dillard, let him protect the blind side for 10 years.  these DL can't cause the same amount of havoc in the pros b/c so many qbs are programmed to get rid of the ball quicker.  

To me, Bosa is the only "must have" in this draft. If he's there at 3, run the card up and be happy. If he goes 1 or 2, trade down into the back end of the top 10 or teens for whatever you can get. If no one in that range is interested in trading for #3, draft Jonah Williams at 3 and move on. I could see Allen if they somehow swing and miss on everything in FA (possible but hopefully not likely), but Jonah is the ideal. Not interested in figuring out BPA anymore. OL has to be priority 1. 

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Are we for sure staying 3-4, or going 4-3?

I don't pay that high a draft pick for a 3-4 D Lineman who gets 5 sacks.   In a 3-4, it has to be the OLB.

Depending on the situation I would think we'll use both schemes. 3-4 a lot with 4-3 thrown in. Hopefully they'll bring back Henry Anderson as one of those 3-4 ends.

The tragedy is that the fact we even have to consider Q. Williams is because Leonard Williams has been an outright bust. If Leonard was doing his job, you could stick a replacement-level DT next to him and be fine. In the draft-Quinnen scenario, Leonard slides over and becomes that replacement-level DT. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The tragedy is that the fact we even have to consider Q. Williams is because Leonard Williams has been an outright bust. If Leonard was doing his job, you could stick a replacement-level DT next to him and be fine. In the draft-Quinnen scenario, Leonard slides over and becomes that replacement-level DT. 

they drafted a stiff DT last year in the 3rd round, and they got a steal for anderson.  i would still rather have the best OL at 3 than a DT who won't make nearly the impact in the nfl that everyone is squawking about.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Leo is not an outright bust but he has definitely underwhelmed

Trade Leo for an early second round pick and sign Sheldon or Bennie Logan.  Then draft Isabella

Archived