Earl Thomas 55 million/Landon Collins 84 million

JoJoTownsell1

I'm kind of confused at how this is a good thing and FU to the safety haters.  All this means, is that in a few years, Jamal Adams is going to be looking to be the highest paid safety in the league.  FYI - that's not a good thing for the Jets.

Just now, JiF said:

I'm kind of confused at how this is a good thing and FU to the safety haters.  All this means, is that in a few years, Jamal Adams is going to be looking to be the highest paid safety in the league.  FYI - that's not a good thing for the Jets.

Well I think the question of drafting Adams that high was the value. And based on these signings, the value of safeties has gone up considerably. But executive of the year? Nah

Earl Thomas has 28 INT, 11 FF, and 67 PD's in his career.  That's why he's worth that kind of coin.

Defend the pass well and force some turnovers.  That's what a safety needs to do to get paid.  Thomas has had 3 seasons in this league where he got 5 INT.  Last year he had 3 in 4 games.  Wake me up when Adams gets more than 1 in a season. 

As for Collins:  The Redskins are stupid.  No one should be using that signing as an argument to pay Jamal Adams. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

We will have a $220+mil QB in darnold and a$130 mil Safety. lol... 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

If he plays like Thomas he’ll deserve it. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So where are all the LOL-Safety posters at?

Jamal Adams pick looking better and better. 

Macc for executive of the year!

Redskins and a post-Ozzie Newsome Ravens.

We'll see how it works out.

My issue was always where he was drafted and over what other priorities.  His play has been good, as I've said many times.

Most vital thing this says to me is we're going to have to pay alot for Adams if we want to retain him.

Of course, I wouldn't get ahead of myself on that, our elite uber awesome D draft picks often show themselves to not be great by the time they hit the end of their rookie deals.  We'll see where we are in a year or two.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

The real question is who else is up for renewal/extension at the same time as Adams.  We need to stagger these guys to a degree.  I think that’s why we’re seeing some big contracts being executed now in FA that will expire just as Sam Darnold will need to be paid on a long term deal.  The only potential complicating factor for Adams could be Maye, depending on if Marcus is healthy and playing well.  It will be a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless if we have two safeties to extend at the same time.

Logic-because 2 teams overpaid ridiculously for roster filler safeties based on foolish reps for a position that has marginal impact, therefore, the Jets should overpay the living sh1t out of Adams' next contract, despite the street being filled with safeties. One of those teams is the decades-long dumpster fire known as the Deadskins.  

Adams is very good at his position, but his position isn't very important. Because other teams are dumb doesn't change that. 

There are still a boat load of competent safeties out there and since the high priced guys are gone teams will be getting good safeties on the relative cheap.  The fact that these 'star' safeties are available shows that you don;t need to draft these guys high.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So where are all the LOL-Safety posters at?

Jamal Adams pick looking better and better. 

Macc for executive of the year!

Or it says that their teams that let them go found them easily replaceable outside of the first round of the draft. That could be it too. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Earl Thomas has 28 INT, 11 FF, and 67 PD's in his career.  That's why he's worth that kind of coin.

Defend the pass well and force some turnovers.  That's what a safety needs to do to get paid.  Thomas has had 3 seasons in this league where he got 5 INT.  Last year he had 3 in 4 games.  Wake me up when Adams gets more than 1 in a season. 

As for Collins:  The Redskins are stupid.  No one should be using that signing as an argument to pay Jamal Adams. 

The game has evolved so much on offense that people are not seeing how much the D has changed too.  Safeties like Adams and Collins are a new hybrid type of safety that teams are looking for. 

I am happy to pay Adams that type of money if he has that type of impact.  He could end up like a RB that you want to draft, because years 5+ they are shot.  Like Bob Sanders.  

Where the Jets spend money on defense will need to shift.  Right now we are spending on 2 DL, an ILB and a CB.  All over $10mm.  Nobody other than Brady makes over $10mm on the Patriots.   The Jets needs to draft alternatives to Leo, and Trumaine, and find a fair priced EDGE.  

10 minutes ago, prime21 said:

The game has evolved so much on offense that people are not seeing how much the D has changed too.  Safeties like Adams and Collins are a new hybrid type of safety that teams are looking for.

I get it.  Free Safeties handle the bulk of the pass defending.  Strong Safeties operate like Linebackers who can cover.  None of that is an argument for paying Jamal Adams like Landon Collins or Earl Thomas did. 

Numbers don't lie.  More than ever, the game is all about creating turnovers.  Create turnovers or GTFO.  You're not reinventing defensive football if you aren't doing that. It's not this complex mystery with the end result being Jamal Adams being worth that kind of coin.  Not yet, anyways. 

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Let's calm down there big fella my pet turtle with Parkinsons could have made the Adams pick

So it was both a bad pick (because according to some Safeties are a dime a dozen) and an obvious pick (because he was so clearly the best player on the board. 

This is why this board will never be happy with any GM. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yep. When we actually become good, we will have to pay a safety record numbers ? 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So it was both a bad pick (because according to some Safeties are a dime a dozen) and an obvious pick (because he was so clearly the best player on the board. 

This is why this board will never be happy with any GM. 

I loved the Adams pick but let's not act like Mac found a diamond in the rough. He was the 2nd best player in the draft and slid to 6 it was a no-brainer

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The real question is who else is up for renewal/extension at the same time as Adams.  We need to stagger these guys to a degree.  I think that’s why we’re seeing some big contracts being executed now in FA that will expire just as Sam Darnold will need to be paid on a long term deal.  The only potential complicating factor for Adams could be Maye, depending on if Marcus is healthy and playing well.  It will be a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless if we have two safeties to extend at the same time.

We've got 2 really cheap years left for Adams, then we'll have his 5th year option, which will much more expensive (2018 5th year option for safeties drafted in the top 10 was a little over $9 million), but likely nothing near what he could get on the market, if he continues to play at a Pro-Bowl level.

So with the option, his contract expires after the 2021 season.

Here's the list of players currently under contract past the 2021 season:

Sam (assuming we pick up his 5th year option for 2022)

Tru

Quincy

That is it.

(And yes, I know, some of the new guys will have contracts that extend into 2022....but they're not technically signed yet?)

Archived