Frank Clark

choon328

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can the Jets afford this guy? Yes we have cap space however we have been amongst the top 5 cash spending teams the past 5 year thanks to our great GM.

Chief traded Ford for a future 2nd rounder so no way are they going to get a current 1st. Probably lucky to receive present 2nd rounder. So I find it mind blowing that many in this thread are on board with some sort of first round swap.

This is a bad Draft to want to be trading away an expensive pass rusher given all the new, young, excellent Edge talent that will come into the league and get paid on rookie deals for 4-5 years.  I think this will be a tough spot for Seattle but we'll see.

Could the Jets fill their edge-rush need before the 2019 NFL Draft even begins ?

General manager Mike Maccagnan has reached out to the Seahawks about defensive end Frank Clark, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. The Colts and Chiefs have also expressed interest in Clark, who was franchise tagged back in March, but has yet to sign the tag.Clark would certainly fit a key need for the Jets, who have lacked a marquee pass rusher for years at this point. But with the hours ticking down until they’re on the clock with the No. 3 pick, the question is: Would trading for Clark be a good idea ?

Here’s a look at why the Jets should and shouldn’t pursue Clark :

Pros

Proven NFL playmaker: Sure, the Jets could snag an edge rusher like Ohio State’s Nick Bosa or Kentucky’s Josh Allen – the consensus top two in the draft – with the No. 3 pick. But even the hottest prospects sometimes don’t pan out. Clark, on the other hand, is a known quantity. He’s tallied 32 sacks over the past three seasons and has tallied at least nine sacks per year during that time. He’s a reliable, consistent playmaker. He’s a sure thing, while a draft pick – even a highly touted one – comes with some more risk.

Potential to save draft capital: If the Jets could get Clark for a third-round pick – which was the price for the 49ers to acquire outside linebacker Dee Ford, who had been franchise tagged by the Chiefs – or something similar, then they could feasibly fill their hole on the edge for less (in terms of draft capital) than if they had to burn the No. 3 overall pick to fill that same hole. In a weird way, the trade cost could actually be lower than the draft cost. But there’s a big catch here: ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported this weekend that the Seahawks are looking for at least a first-round pick. If that’s true, then this point goes out the window.

Shifts draft focus elsewhere: Adding Clark to the lineup ahead of next week’s draft would give Maccagnan a whole host of options once the Jets are on the clock. Suddenly, it’d be much easier for him to justify trading back and passing up one of those top-tier edge rushing prospects in exchange for more picks. Or, he could simply choose to fill another need at No. 3 and get the best possible player at whatever position he chooses. Addressing the biggest roster hole before the draft even begins would free him up to get creative and flesh out this team by adding talent elsewhere.

Cons

Prohibitive price tag: Trade costs aside, can the Jets really afford the monster salary that Clark would no doubt command? Sure, the Jets have a decent amount of cap space remaining (roughly $17 million after draft signings), but do they want to burn all of that on one player? Throwing a pile of money at Clark would reduce the Jets’ in-season flexibility for 2019, hurt their carry-over cap space for 2020 and potentially muddy their cap situation for a few years to come.

Age: Clark is by no means old; he turns 26 in June. So, he probably still has a few prime years left in him, at least. But if the Jets throw a big contract at him, there’s a chance they could be on the hook for some of his late-career downturn. On the other hand, they could just draft a 21-year-old stud and not have to worry about that at all. This is probably only a minor concern, but still one worth thinking about.

Positional fit: Let’s be honest, the Jets could use upgrades on the edge at both defensive end and outside linebacker. Leonard Williams and Henry Anderson aren’t exactly a terrifying combination at DE, so adding Clark to that mix would still absolutely be a helpful move. But the OLB situation is in far more dire need of upgrade, with Jordan Jenkins and Brandon Copeland potentially in line to start at those spots. Is it worth adding Clark if it could come at the expense of adding a terrific OLB, like Allen?

Verdict

The Jets would be smart to steer clear of Clark at this point – especially if the Seahawks really are holding out for a first-round pick. Giving up that much in draft capital, in addition to the salary Clark would command, is far too much when weighed against some of the Jets’ draft options. While trading a lesser pick – like a third-round selection – if Seattle would accept it could be tempting, but it’d be far better to get a young, cheap talent at the position who will come with a limited cap hit for the next four years. Allen or Bosa would provide far more value and payroll flexibility.

>    https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/04/nfl-trade-rumors-jets-have-inquired-about-seahawks-frank-clark-why-they-should-shouldnt-make-a-deal-for-veteran-edge-rusher.html

His salary would cripple a lot of the Jets future plans. Remember we’re gonna need to resign Adams in a few years and then Darnold. We also need O Lineman. Love the player but this draft is loaded with edge rushers that we can get on the cheap. If we could trade down and pick an O Lineman in 1st round then maybe this makes more sense. 

Just now, Nixhead said:

His salary would cripple a lot of the Jets future plans. Remember we’re gonna need to resign Adams in a few years and then Darnold. We also need O Lineman. Love the player but this draft is loaded with edge rushers that we can get on the cheap. If we could trade down and pick an O Lineman in 1st round then maybe this makes more sense. 

Jets are still $30 million under the cap

Sorry

51 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Can the Jets afford this guy? Yes we have cap space however we have been amongst the top 5 cash spending teams the past 5 year thanks to our great GM.

Chief traded Ford for a future 2nd rounder so no way are they going to get a current 1st. Probably lucky to receive present 2nd rounder. So I find it mind blowing that many in this thread are on board with some sort of first round swap.

We’re $30 million under the cap

Clark is better than Ford

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is a bad Draft to want to be trading away an expensive pass rusher given all the new, young, excellent talent that will come into the league and get paid on rookie deals for 4-5 years.  I think this will be a tough spot for Seattle but we'll see.

This draft certainly has a lot of intrigue.

15 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Mosley will likely be gone by then. I’m curious to see if Adams loves being a jet more than he loves being a star. Is he going to ask for 16 mil per yr ? And do we really want to pay a box safety that ? I like Adams, but like you said, OL is much more important. A strong OL for darnold, and bell, and whoever after him, is the key to setting up a championship team. Adams is a luxury if you have all the other pieces in line 

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You think Leo is good?  That’s cute

Don't get Defensive. I was just joking with you. That's why i posted that pic so you'd understand that. Guess not. I respect your opinion on Leo, but i do disagree with it.

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

All the rookie scale contracts combined for this year would come out to about $6 million

We also don’t have a second round pick

According to the article 13mil will go towards rookie contracts. Honestly would love the player but don't wanna spend our entire remaining cap on 1 player - unless we pull off a major trade down deal on draft day. Other teams will be letting go players  that can help us after the draft - maybe some O lineman - and it would be smart to have some funds available if the right player comes along.  Bringing in too many players on their second contract can be very detrimental to a team. We just rolled the dice with Mosley and Bell. Last year we signed Trumaine Johnson on basically his second contract and so far that didn't turn out too well. I have to side with Dr. Evil still at this point.

regardless, in the end it all depends on the trade deal.  it's doubtful seattle will get a first rounder straight up for clark.  but a first round pick swap or something like that could work.  i'm not sure where seattle picks but if the jets swapped their 3 for a 10 or higher pick and also got clark it would be a decent deal.  they could sign him for a 3 season cap hit and still have a high enough draft pick to make a good choice and cap money to re-sign players in the ensuing 3 seasons.

Brady Henderson   ESPN 

Asked about where things stand with Frank Clark, Seahawks GM John Schneider said trade rumors are common this time of the year -- but he didn't shoot anything down. "He's a franchised player. We love Frank. He's an incredibly effective pass-rusher and we love him. That's where they stand," Schneider said Thursday before an even for his and his wife's charity, Ben's Fund. "I know where you're going. When you're getting close to the trade deadline and you get close to the draft, it's like major speculation, a ton of drama, all the news outlets and everything. I get it. It's what we're doing, it's entertainment. People around the league know that we're in every deal, that the people on my staff, we're always trying to understand the landscape around the National Football League. If we didn't, we wouldn't be doing our job. We can't ever have our head in the sand with anything, but we love Frank. Obviously that's why we franchised him."

Archived