The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Williams demands accountability, publicly talks smack about Adams, no filter or BS, "coached better players", etc.  Jets Fans Rejoice.

Mayfield demands accountability, says "be here or not if you want, we the team are going forward", no filter or BS, etc. Jets Fans Proclaim Implosion.

Saturday Night Live in it's heyday couldn't write this any better.

Mayfield is 100% correct.  Want be be here, great, lets get to it!  Don't, fine, **** off and get out the way player, we got a team to lead.  He's 100% doing what Jets Fans have wanted our team and players to do for ages, ignore the bullsh*t and get to business.

If say Trenton Cannon were demanding a trade, because boo hoo he's third string, I would ABSOLUTELY want Darnold to say exactly the same thing.  Be here if you want, don't if you don't, up to you, but we (the Jets) are moving forward with the guys who want to be here and want to win with THIS organization, so either be here, or shut up and get out of our way!".

Those utterly non-PC answers are brilliant.  Had a Jets QB said them in the same spot, this forum would literally be deifying the QB for having said it.

Leaders lead. Sometimes they say things people don't like. Get on board or get the F out of the way.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Williams demands accountability, publicly talks smack about Adams, no filter or BS, "coached better players", etc.  Jets Fans Rejoice.

Mayfield demands accountability, says "be here or not if you want, we the team are going forward", no filter or BS, etc. Jets Fans Proclaim Implosion.

Saturday Night Live in it's heyday couldn't write this any better.

Mayfield is 100% correct.  Want be be here, great, lets get to it!  Don't, fine, **** off and get out the way player, we got a team to lead.  He's 100% doing what Jets Fans have wanted our team and players to do for ages, ignore the bullsh*t and get to business.

If say Trenton Cannon were demanding a trade, because boo hoo he's third string, I would ABSOLUTELY want Darnold to say exactly the same thing.  Be here if you want, don't if you don't, up to you, but we (the Jets) are moving forward with the guys who want to be here and want to win with THIS organization, so either be here, or shut up and get out of our way!".

Those utterly non-PC answers are brilliant.  Had a Jets QB said them in the same spot, this forum would literally be deifying the QB for having said it.

Williams has been in the NFL for 30 years... Mayfield has been alive for 24 years... Know your place... 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nope. Cannon's a poor analogy, but I'd want Darnold to stay out of it. It's none of his business. Mayfield was confronted by a group of veterans on the team for a reason: he was wrong. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Leaders lead. Sometimes they say things people don't like. Get on board or get the F out of the way.

I agree but you are creating controversy when you don't need it... take him aside and say that... going through the media creates even more garbage for the media to report about... 

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I agree but you are creating controversy when you don't need it... take him aside and say that... going through the media creates even more garbage for the media to report about... 

And none of what the crap media reports about matters on Sunday. Sports journalism is all but dead. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

and none of it matters on Sunday.

It matters in the locker room ... see Sheldon Richardson in 2016 with Brandon Marshall... combustible attitudes and adding to the flames the fire will keep growing.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

<Browns beat the Jets by 40 with Mayfield throwing for five TDs>

Jets fans: At least our quarterback didn’t slander Duke Johnson four months ago. 

I like this one better:

<Jets beat Browns by 40 with Darnold throwing for five TDs>

after game, Mayfield publicly blames OBJ for dropping two passes.  OBJ barges into press conference like a human torpedo, spears Mayfield, punches him repeatedly, then gets on all fours and lifts his leg mimicking a dog pi$$ing  on #1s face!!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

The only drama in cleveland will come from the microscope they have been placed under by fans/media.  What baker mayfield said has no baring on anything.  It was about the 3rd string rb who is irrelevent once kareem hunt returns.

It would be like if sam darnold made a comment about elijah mcguire.  Who cares.

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I remember the Billy Martin Reggie Jackson Thurmon Munson Greg Nettles Yankees not getting along but winning in spite of it. Lakers with Shaq and Kobe come to mind and more I'm sure. If Mayfield produces it will be okay but if  he doesnt............

Difference is the HC could control them... This situation has a Rookie HC who hasn't even spent a full season as a coordinator.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The only drama in cleveland will come from the microscope they have been placed under by fans/media.  What baker mayfield said has no baring on anything.  It was about the 3rd string rb who is irrelevent once kareem hunt returns.

It would be like if sam darnold made a comment about elijah mcguire.  Who cares.

Again, its not about who but the fact that other players have already started to split off telling him he was wrong to do it in the media... The rift is starting... If Duke was traded and nobody stepped up in defense of Duke then yes I agree its a non-issue... but this is already showing that certain people in the locker room don't like Mayfield running his mouth about another players situation... He should just stay out of it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Winning cures all ills. These guys are competing at the highest level, they're ultra competitive. If they're winning, none of this crap matters. If they're losing, the media wins click bait.

Agreed... and I have said as much... I just don't feel like any of the coaches in Cleveland have the stature to contain the situation if it starts to get worse

Luke is married to his agent so he’s running his mouth and the QB should have the whole team’s back not just individual players. 

Agree about the QB having all the players back. Yet, even though Luke wife is Duke’s agent, pretty sure he would have commented about what happen regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

While I am personally fine with Mayfield's attitude, he was essentially criticizing Duke over contract/money which you dont do.  When i saw mayfield say that I honestly thought it was 50-50 if Duke would confront him immediately.  

Mayfield is a QB looking at $100 million in career earnings.  Duke needs to get every penny out of the league while he can as a RB.  Baker was wrong in this situation.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Our only SB was delivered by probably the most off-the-field QB in league history 

Which is odd. Not like we passed on him. josh Allen succeeding in buffalo would feel much worse 

Joe did not run down his teammates.  He did not throw ultimatums at them.  He chased women.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Again, its not about who but the fact that other players have already started to split off telling him he was wrong to do it in the media... The rift is starting... If Duke was traded and nobody stepped up in defense of Duke then yes I agree its a non-issue... but this is already showing that certain people in the locker room don't like Mayfield running his mouth about another players situation... He should just stay out of it.

This is bakers team.  There is no and will be no rift.  Anyone on the other side of a rift with baker will be shown the doir.

I actually think its a positive players went to mayfield to talk about this.  That is an awesome culture to have open dialogue about things.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, but it's not about what the fans want. It's about other guys in the locker room. The point of the article is that other Browns players didn't like what he said and confronted him about it.

Yeah, "Implosion", I get the spin.  

Jets Fans when the media spins something here:  DAMN MEDIA GRRRR!!!!

Jets Fans when another towns media gins up a story:  Wow, we TOTALLY believe that, IMPLOSION!

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

That remains to be seen, he can't be that stupid.

He has zero filter. He is also really talented. The question is what happens when things go south during the season and he starts calling out guys like Odell or Landry. How do they react? 

They have a really good team. They could definitely make the playoffs, the question is more long term. When you have a franchise QB you hope he carry's the team for a decade and not get bogged down in drama. 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, BCJet said:

While I am personally fine with Mayfield's attitude, he was essentially criticizing Duke over contract/money which you dont do.  When i saw mayfield say that I honestly thought it was 50-50 if Duke would confront him immediately.  

Mayfield is a QB looking at $100 million in career earnings.  Duke needs to get every penny out of the league while he can as a RB.  Baker was wrong in this situation.

I understand your point. But Johnson needs to wake up with reality. No team is banging down the Browns door to acquire him and then pay him big bucks. 90% of player think they deserve more. The ones who shut up, just play and don’t cry, usually ones who get paid. 

Just now, Warfish said:

Yeah, "Implosion", I get the spin.  

Jets Fans when the media spins something here:  DAMN MEDIA GRRRR!!!!

Jets Fans when another towns media gins up a story:  Wow, we TOTALLY believe that, IMPLOSION!

Do you know the difference  between a reporter reporting from "anonymous sources" and actual quotes from a player. This isn't a media driven story, these are words actually said by Baker. This is Baker engaging in a "twitter war' with members of the media. 

This isn't rumors and unnamed sources. That's not even accounting for his issues in college. Granted, he won a ton in college and perhaps he will win a ton in the NFL. But he is dealing with grown men in the NFL and not a bunch of 18 year olds. 

• Sympathy 1

2 things:

Mayfield was right

Mayfield couldn’t give a big enough f*ck what people (fans, media, teammates,  Uncle Luke (honestly who gives a sh*t what his opinion is)) think about what he says. He’s going to lead the way he leads and he’ll either soar or crash and burn but it’ll be on his terms. 

IMHO he’ll be just fine and this will not lead to an implosion. 

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Joe did not run down his teammates.  He did not throw ultimatums at them.  He chased women.

I liked when he commentated games when I was a kid. He would call a spade a spade and you learned from what he would say what not to do and what to do,

• Upvote 1