Josh McCown Retires

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

My GF is Scottish and she endearingly calls me a wankstain. 

That’s a good thing, right?

Sure, why not. Congrats on your Scot. Is she as cynical and dour as the rest of us or is she the exception that proves the rule, lol.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not to start.  I'm at an utter loss over the IMO extreme reaction to basically saying the guy sucked.  

Plus I always write books, to be fair.  Bloviation is my schtick apparently.

I begged you to stop being Miserable Marvin and get on the positivity train with the rest of us Puppy Uppers.  There’s still time.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

She’s a good soul. Being an ass*hole, I keep her level-headed. 

My bad, Peace Frog. Truce? I thought I tried, but not well enough, ffs.

We all want the goddam Jets to be relevant. Agree to disagree is good enough for me.

At least we aint parents throwing down at 7 yr old baseball games!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

My bad, Peace Frog. Truce? I thought I tried, but not well enough, ffs.

We all want the goddam Jets to be relevant. Agree to disagree is good enough for me.

At least we aint parents throwing down at 7 yr old baseball games!!!

It’s all good. 

You should have seen some of the idiot parents at my kids sporting events. 

Bigger ass*holes than me!

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Kum bah yaaaaa my lord, kuuuum bah ya!

We can all be friends!

Say something positive, and we all can!  Multiple choice.  Pick one:

1.  The Jets now have the best looking modern uniform in the NFL and I'm proud to watch them play in them.

2. Adam Gase is an experienced NFL head coach and QB guru and I'm excited that Christopher Johnson got the best candidate available in this years class.

3.  The rebuild is over and I firmly believe that this team can make the playoffs or win the division this year.

4. MetLife Stadium has allowed the Jets to lead the AFC in attendance every year since it opened and Jets fans will make the place a raucous hellhole for our opponents.

5. Mark Sanchez was a good Jet who did some amazing things and should be enshrined in the Ring Of Honor when the time comes for his candidacy to be considered.

Come on.  You can do it.  I know you can.  Take a deep breath, let those negative feelings out, join the Jets Positivity Club.  Then betray TS and together you and I can restore peace to the galaxy.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, TeddEY said:

No, we’re not reduced to anything.  Some of us just understand the situation that brought him here...

The situation that brought McCown here was that two years after Geno was judged unfit to lead the football team, we were still reduced to signing yet another career backup and making him the starter.   On the field, the results were predictably abysmal.

Just what about this inspires fond reminiscence and appreciation?

Never seen a fan base that cares more about the owner's profit margin than us. We haven't spent to the cap once in Macc's tenure. Could've paid McCown the league minimum or $25 million and we would've had the exact same team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Never seen a fan base that cares more about the owner's profit margin than us. We haven't spent to the cap once in Macc's tenure. Could've paid McCown the league minimum or $25 million and we would've had the exact same team.

It’s not about profit or even capology.  The jets could have used that $10 million to sign 1-2 decent starters on the OL or in the secondary

47 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’s not about profit or even capology.  The jets could have used that $10 million to sign 1-2 decent starters on the OL or in the secondary

This argument would be persuasive if they were up against the cap. If they wanted to spend $10 million on 1-2 starters, what was stopping them?

Certainly not Josh McCown's contract.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

This argument would be persuasive if they were up against the cap. If they wanted to spend $10 million on 1-2 starters, what was stopping them?

Certainly not Josh McCown's contract.

Exactly and if he had any positive impact on developing Sam then it was $10 mil well spent

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Say something positive, and we all can!

I've been saying no shortage of positive things this off-season, and I am optimistic on the immediate future of the organization compared to where it's been.  If certain folks only want to read the stuff they think is "miserable", and ignore the positive stuff, well, c'est la vie.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

It's not a cap question for me nor a concern about what McCown was paid.

If McCown's role was "mentor", hire him as a Asst. QB Coach.  Pay him $10 million to do it if you must.  Fine, not my money.

The slots for QB are exceedingly precious, and should (IMO) never be filled by guys like McCown.  No upside, no future, no real ability to come in and win.  No point, really.  

That QB slot should be used to have a guy who can step in and win at least 50% of his games.  If not, it should be spent on a guy who is ALSO a prospect young QB, in case the #1 guy turns out to not be so good.  

It's simply a philosophical difference.  I don't like wasting QB slots.  McCown felt like a wasted slot to me, a guy who was better off retired and coaching than being on an active roster.  

Make McCown a QB coach last year, and keep a different #2 QB (we of course can argue who that should have been), and I have no complaints.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

8 pages on a crappy quarterback whose claim to fame was a statistically decent season where we went 5-11?

It's not about Josh.  It's about us.

We have waited a decade for another shot at an AFC Championship Game and we've waited 55 years for another shot at a franchise quarterback.  It looks like we have them both in place right now, it's all we've really ever wanted.  So it's time we all get along and focus on one goal and that's supporting the team as it attempts to ascend the AFC, starting with taking down the New England Patriots and forcing Tom Brady to retire.

So enough with the pettiness, time to set aside our beefs, time to join hands as one, and climb aboard the Happy Train which is going to have us in the Super Bowl within the next 5 years.  If Jet Nut and I can make peace, so can you all.  It will be a lot more fun to be friendly towards each other in our caps and t-shirts at the Canyon Of Heroes parade than bringing each other down.  Let's go.

SAR I

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Did McCown provide something most other similar veterans wouldn’t have provided?

I don’t think so personally. But we can never know. What happened, happened.

Not sure what the issue is complimenting McCown for helping Sam but to each his own I guess lol

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's not a cap question for me nor a concern about what McCown was paid.

If McCown's role was "mentor", hire him as a Asst. QB Coach.  Pay him $10 million to do it if you must.  Fine, not my money.

The slots for QB are exceedingly precious, and should (IMO) never be filled by guys like McCown.  No upside, no future, no real ability to come in and win.  No point, really.  

That QB slot should be used to have a guy who can step in and win at least 50% of his games.  If not, it should be spent on a guy who is ALSO a prospect young QB, in case the #1 guy turns out to not be so good.  

It's simply a philosophical difference.  I don't like wasting QB slots.  McCown felt like a wasted slot to me, a guy who was better off retired and coaching than being on an active roster.  

Make McCown a QB coach last year, and keep a different #2 QB (we of course can argue who that should have been), and I have no complaints.

He played pretty well in 2017. Can definitely argue over the price but saying he wasn’t able to win if called upon does seem like hindsight analysis.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

He played pretty well in 2017. Can definitely argue over the price but saying he wasn’t able to win if called upon does seem like hindsight analysis.

Agree to disagree.  

He was 18-42 when we signed him.  He went 5-8.

We can debate how "pretty good" he played, especially given the poor team talent, but no, I'd say he was not a QB who could be expected to win 50%, nor was he the type you keep because of his potential future.  He was a lazy, fearful GM's veteran blankie, something Macc seemed quite wedded to having.

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree.  

He was 18-42 when we signed him.  He went 5-8.

We can debate how "pretty good" he played, especially given the poor team talent, but no, I'd say he was not a QB who could be expected to win 50%, nor was he the type you keep because of his potential future.  He was a lazy, fearful GM's veteran blankie, something Macc seemed quite wedded to having.

Wait are we arguing about signing him before 2017 or 2018? I agree 2017 he wasn't an inspiring signing, of course we weren't paying him very much (which seems to be the major beef people have about the guy).

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Wait are we arguing about signing him before 2017 or 2018? I agree 2017 he wasn't an inspiring signing, of course we weren't paying him very much (which seems to be the major beef people have about the guy).

People seem to forget that when McCown was given that payday, the Jets didn't have a QB on the roster. They went all in for Cousins, missed, then turned around and paid McCown, who instantly became the presumptive opening day starter. Later that same day, they signed Teddy Bridgewater who, a couple years later, is still a question mark to ever return to form. On that day, the Jets still had the 6th pick in a four QB draft. 

Mac panicked, but it was something of an understandable panic given the Jets' QB situation in that moment. And, again, what was McCown supposed to do? Turn down $10M? 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, slats said:

People seem to forget that when McCown was given that payday, the Jets didn't have a QB on the roster. They went all in for Cousins, missed, then turned around and paid McCown, who instantly became the presumptive opening day starter. Later that same day, they signed Teddy Bridgewater who, a couple years later, is still a question mark to ever return to form. On that day, the Jets still had the 6th pick in a four QB draft. 

Mac panicked, but it was something of an understandable panic given the Jets' QB situation in that moment. And, again, what was McCown supposed to do? Turn down $10M? 

Yep because all the guys knocking him would definitely give back a raise if they think they didn’t earn it.

Ex-Jets QB Josh McCown already making waves as ESPN analyst | Here’s what he said that some fans found totally absurd 

Updated 12:13 PM; Today 11:46 AM

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

As a player, quarterback Josh McCown was always fairly candid. And that’s why ESPN just hired him as an analyst, now that he is retired.

To no surprise, the former Jets quarterback is already making waves on TV. During his very first “SportsCenter” appearance Wednesday, McCown ranked his top five wide receivers currently in the NFL.

He went with Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, and Odell Beckham Jr. as the top three ... and then Julian Edelman and Mike Evans. No DeAndre Hopkins or Antonio Brown in the top five? Odd.

Look, this doesn’t really matter all that much. And it’s just McCown’s opinion on a pretty bland topic. Plus, nobody wants an analyst who just spouts off cookie-cutter takes all the time. Might as well shake it up a bit, right?

I didn't click on this thread for days because the topic, honestly, just didn't grab my attention.  My God did I miss out. This has to be without a doubt the most emotion Josh McCown has ever inspired in his life. The sprinkling in of a Revis debate was a beautiful touch.

Thank you, gentleman. You've made the last half hour of work FLY.?

• Haha 2