Giants WR Train Wrecks: Coleman tears ACL; Shepard fractures thumb; Tate suspended

Tough break.  He's had a disappointing career since being taken in the 1st by the Browns in 2016, and now this happens. 

With Sterling Shepard also fracturing his thumb today, it'll just be Golden Tate and a bunch of question marks  at WR for the Giants for the rest of camp and preseason until Shepard returns. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037255/article/giants-corey-coleman-tears-acl-in-practice-thursday

Giants' Corey Coleman tears ACL in practice Thursday

Print
  • 0ap3000000923719.jpg
  • By Jeremy Bergman
  • Around The NFL Writer

Two days into New York Giants camp, two wide receivers out with injuries.

On the same day that starting receiver Sterling Shepard fractured his thumb, potential No. 3 wideout Corey Coleman tore his ACL, the team announced.

Coleman, a 2016 first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns, ended last season with the Giants after a whirlwind 2018 campaign. Cleveland traded the disappointing pick to the Buffalo Bills in August, who waived him shortly after. Coleman then spent a month with the New England Patriots before the Giants picked him up on their practice squad.

In eight games with Big Blue, Coleman started just once and racked up five catches on eight targets for 71 yards. The receiver was also New York's top kick returner down the stretch, returning 23 kicks for 598 yards.

Coleman was thought to be a potential fixture in three-receiver sets for New York in 2019 after the Giants retooled their wide receiving corps to fit their post-OBJ reality. But now he is most likely lost for the year.

Add onto Coleman's demise Shepard's fractured thumb, and New York's starting receivers against the reigning division champion Dallas Cowboys in Week 1 could be free-agent acquisition Golden Tate, Cody Latimer and ... rookie Darius Slayton and/or Russell Shepard. (Though Giants coach Pat Shurmur did tell reporters Friday that Shepard's injury did not require surgery and that he is confident Shepard will play in the season opener.)

In a critical season for Shurmur, aging quarterback Eli Manning and especially general manager Dave Gettleman, who made the controversial decision to trade all-world receiver Odell Beckham this offseason after signing him to a long-term deal, Giants training camp could not have gotten off to a worse start, at least on the injury front.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Won't make things any easier for Daniel Jones to develop and Eli to try to hang onto his job.

9 defenders in the box against Saquon this season for sure.

Except NE.  They will have 10 defenders in the box (plus 2 DBs).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

And they'll still make more money than the Jets in ticket sales and just about any other category. Oh  boo hoo, darn the luck, darnit, darnit, darnit 

Jets outdrew your garbage team last year.

Jets 2nd in the NFL, Giants 9th.

Darnit, darnit

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Jets outdrew your garbage team last year.

Jets 2nd in the NFL, Giants 9th.

Darnit, darnit

Enough with the my team sh__. There is no- my team. I'm a nfl entertainment  fan. Not a one team, gang member fan.But Rams and Packers do get first in line privileges.

I said in every category. That means I'll also include combined and not just individually. It's painstakingly obvious  the Jets will never be as popular  or as money making as the Giants over the short or long term. 

Cherry picking a down year, doesn't take away from my over all correct statement. 

Nationally, the Giants are a god and the Jets are the ball boy. 

• Thumb Down 10

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Why are u on this board? Seriously, just go away or better yet join the Rams board on ESPN it's probably the only one that exists that has more than 5 posters. 

Where is what I'm saying mean I hate one team or like another?  It's an unbiased viewpoint. 

We are just talking but stuff you watch on tv. Nothing to get personal or emotional  about. Espn? There's nothing worse then a corporate  board/forum.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Enough with the my team sh__. There is no- my team. I'm a nfl entertainment  fan. Not a one team, gang member fan.But Rams and Packers do get first in line privileges.

I said in every category. That means I'll also include combined and not just individually. It's painstakingly obvious  the Jets will never be as popular  or as money making as the Giants over the short or long term. 

Cherry picking a down year, doesn't take away from my over all correct statement. 

I have no personal proof that Coleman tore his ACL or Shepard broke his thumb. 

Sounds like the man (likely the Networks) faking a story. 

Because.

Fake stories. 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tough break.  He's had a disappointing career since being taken in the 1st by the Browns in 2016, and now this happens. 

With Sterling Shepard also fracturing his thumb today, it'll just be Golden Tate and a bunch of question marks  at WR for the Giants for the rest of camp and preseason until Shepard returns. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037255/article/giants-corey-coleman-tears-acl-in-practice-thursday

Giants' Corey Coleman tears ACL in practice Thursday

Print
  • 0ap3000000923719.jpg
  • By Jeremy Bergman
  • Around The NFL Writer

Two days into New York Giants camp, two wide receivers out with injuries.

On the same day that starting receiver Sterling Shepard fractured his thumb, potential No. 3 wideout Corey Coleman tore his ACL, the team announced.

Coleman, a 2016 first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns, ended last season with the Giants after a whirlwind 2018 campaign. Cleveland traded the disappointing pick to the Buffalo Bills in August, who waived him shortly after. Coleman then spent a month with the New England Patriots before the Giants picked him up on their practice squad.

In eight games with Big Blue, Coleman started just once and racked up five catches on eight targets for 71 yards. The receiver was also New York's top kick returner down the stretch, returning 23 kicks for 598 yards.

Coleman was thought to be a potential fixture in three-receiver sets for New York in 2019 after the Giants retooled their wide receiving corps to fit their post-OBJ reality. But now he is most likely lost for the year.

Add onto Coleman's demise Shepard's fractured thumb, and New York's starting receivers against the reigning division champion Dallas Cowboys in Week 1 could be free-agent acquisition Golden Tate, Cody Latimer and ... rookie Darius Slayton and/or Russell Shepard. (Though Giants coach Pat Shurmur did tell reporters Friday that Shepard's injury did not require surgery and that he is confident Shepard will play in the season opener.)

In a critical season for Shurmur, aging quarterback Eli Manning and especially general manager Dave Gettleman, who made the controversial decision to trade all-world receiver Odell Beckham this offseason after signing him to a long-term deal, Giants training camp could not have gotten off to a worse start, at least on the injury front.

poow wittle giants.....my heart bweeds for them....

6 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Too bad.  

Youre the Giants fan trolling a Jet board.  Or worse, a Rams, Packer fan.

But for someone who claims hes just a football fan looking for conversation taking a Jet busts name as your screen name says BS.

Nationally the Giants are not a god.  They're well known but hardly loved.  Theyre not Pitts, Dallas, SF etc.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Too bad.  

Youre the Giants fan trolling a Jet board.  Or worse, a Rams, Packer fan.

But for just a football fan looking for conversation taking a Jet busts name as your screen name says BS.

Nationally the Giants are not a god.  They're well known but hardly loved.  Theyre not Pitts, Dallas, SF etc.  

I'm a penn state fan. That's why I liked/picked him, you dolt. There's a guy here who already  took Browning Nagle. Go bitch at him lol. 

It doesn't mean I'm making fun of you or the Jets. But it still means I have a sense of humor and I don't take things literally  or personally.

2 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

I'm a penn state fan. That's why I liked/picked him, you dolt. There's a guy here who already  took Browning Nagle. Go bitch at him lol. 

It doesn't mean I'm making fun of you or the Jets. But it still means I have a sense of humor and I don't take things literally  or personally.

Dolt?

From the nitwit who cant stop talking up the Giants and then claiming hes a Packers and Rams fan?  OK, I get that, makes sense

Back from 2013. Tate got some splaining to do....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/golden-tate-suspensions-seahawks-selfish_n_4349966

Seahawks receiver Golden Tate thinks two of his teammates, cornerbacks Walter Thurmond and Brandon Browner, put themselves ahead of the team, but the team must move on.

In an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle’s “Bob and Groz”, Tate said it was “definitely poor judgement” in response to Thurmond’s four-game suspension and Brandon Browner’s reported one-year suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

• Sympathy 1