Fantastic Gregg Williams Interview

KRL

37 minutes ago, KRL said:

Talked about cross training players and how he stresses them in pre-season so the staff

and front office can determine if they can play:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/gregg-williams-players-learning-multiple-positions-is-how-you-deal-with-injuries

that was a good interview.  can't say i ever heard kacy or bowles say the same things mainly because i didn't watch those guys but williams is saying some good things.

• Upvote 1

I love the part about training them before the regular season to be able to play multiple positions...this way it’s not on the fly if it comes up in the regular season.

We had a coach here once, who tried to play Sheldon Richardson at OLB out nowhere on MNF in Arizona. 

Class...do we all see the difference? Which is the smart guy and which was is the dumb one?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Fantastic interview.  SO MUCH more there than meets the eye.

The noteworthy kernel I took out of this starting around 8:30 was when Gregg discussed not pressuring too much in preseason and being aligned with Joe Douglas so that they can evaluate players.  What does this mean?  Well, it means there's really no gameplay specifically for the opponent, the plan is that they deploy various defenses, use different coverages and give players different assignments so that you can then evaluate them afterwords and figure out your ability to deploy a specific scheme.  I'll make up an example....Let's say that you'd typically deploy a press-man coverage with Kyron Brown on a 3rd and long so that you'd delay the route and give your pass rushers extra time to get to the QB on an expected passing down.  BUT they don't do that here in preseason, instead using bump and run coverage simply to see how Brown does in that situation with that technique.  I think it's cool that Gregg and JD may be using this early preseason to identify gaps in the Jets ability to use certain schemes and how that may influence JD's hunt for players that can fit that scheme.  Maybe they determine, "Hey, what I need is a guy with length who can specifically play zone coverage or bump and run....I don't just need a "CB2" caliber player," etc.

Yes, I actually thought he was doing that in the game, then Gase mentioned it and Williams discussed it at length today. Quite honestly, while it did make some players look bad, it also allows you to clearly define strengths and weaknesses, and then use that to build the defensive scheme. I am less worried about our secondary today,

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The noteworthy kernel I took out of this starting around 8:30 was when Gregg discussed not pressuring too much in preseason and being aligned with Joe Douglas so that they can evaluate players.  What does this mean?  Well, it means there's really no gameplay specifically for the opponent, the plan is that they deploy various defenses, use different coverages and give players different assignments so that you can then evaluate them afterwords and figure out your ability to deploy a specific scheme.  I'll make up an example....Let's say that you'd typically deploy a press-man coverage with Kyron Brown on a 3rd and long so that you'd delay the route and give your pass rushers extra time to get to the QB on an expected passing down.  BUT they don't do that here in preseason, instead using bump and run coverage simply to see how Brown does in that situation with that technique.  I think it's cool that Gregg and JD may be using this early preseason to identify gaps in the Jets ability to use certain schemes and how that may influence JD's hunt for players that can fit that scheme.  Maybe they determine, "Hey, what I need is a guy with length who can specifically play zone coverage or bump and run....I don't just need a "CB2" caliber player," etc.

i have been saying this before for a while, and some people on here that ive spoken to privately know how i know, but i have really good insight into how greg williams plays his DBs.  The philosophy of the techniques he uses is very unique and what it allows is for guys to play faster and be more versatile in their roles than perhaps more traditional DB techniques.   It also allows older players that perhaps have lost a step to add serviceable years to their career since the way the defense is structured youre always coming downhill and are able to play faster.  

Everyone screaming for big time trades, i get it, but honestly im not 100% sure its necessary in this defense, Greg has done very well finding players that fit his system and getting a lot out of them. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

that was a good interview.  can't say i ever heard kacy or bowles say the same things mainly because i didn't watch those guys but williams is saying some good things.

They were both middle school level football coaches.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If nothing else, this should be a lesson to our "Oh my god, our players suck, we are doomed" crowd after a pre-season game.

• Upvote 2

After listening to Williams, Vitt and Bush (ILB coach), I am really thinking that coaching alone will be worth a couple of wins on this team. They are pushed by a common goal and philosophy, not cliches and coasting, like the last regime.

The coaching staff is focused and motivated to teach - and it sounds like training camp will actually harden the survivors who make the roster to perfrom during the regular season.  I think this bunch can squeeze 10-6 out of this roster, no matter what its weaknesses (barring catastrophic injuries to multiple key players.)

(There's a bunch of links to all the position coach's musings, and I'm going to watch them all.  The vids ... ) 

• Upvote 2