Clayton: Jets Have Contacted Texans About Clowney

helmet.jpg

Those hoping to see the Jets make a push for edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney will be happy to hear that the Jets have reportedly contacted the Texans about his availability.

Per @JohnClaytonNFL on his radio show, the #Jets have also had discussions with the #Texans for Jadeveon Clowney.

— uSTADIUM (@uSTADIUM) August 27, 2019

NFL insider John Clayton said on his radio show that the Jets have in fact contacted Houston to discuss a possible deal, but of course there is no information on what the Texans were asking or what the Jets were willing to offer.

The post Clayton: Jets Have Contacted Texans About Clowney appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
H8-ArVFXhx4

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

I'm pretty sure it's standard to inquire about cost on just about ANY player that is made available.  

This.  If a player at a position of need like Clowney is avaialble, woudl be negligent for JD to not at least make a call.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Jets offer Robby Anderson and a 3rd round draft pick, but we need a receiver to replace Robby so at the end of the call Joe Douglas says, "...and could you throw in Deandre Hopkins?"

Yeah. And they say no.

That one doesn’t really have any legs buddy.

We are going to have to pay that guy which is enough of a hurdle that the Texans can’t get him on the field. We need to present this as removing an liability from their ledger. Anything higher than a 3rd is ridiculous. I would really like to give a 4th or later. This is exactly when guys like Lee or Legget come into the fray as additional currency.

I wonder who else we have that would be of interest to them and not be too much of a loss for the jets. This talk of Robbie Anderson is BS. If the jets FO did that to Sam I would begin to lose my faith.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he wouldn't.  It was already reported that QW won't be playing NT.  Leo will be a rotational piece.  And an expensive one.  

Who are the three guys who are definitively better than Leo in our front 7, with or without Clowney?

According to GW, they are all rotational pieces. He's planning on rotating guys to keep everyone fresh

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Leo and Clowney are about a straight swap $ wise. Clowney tagged at $15.96..... Leo 5th yr. option at $14.2 and an UFA next year. Makes no sense for Houston. They'd have to deal with Leo being an UDFA next year..... no value to the team.

They want a high draft pick.... nothing else!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Who are the three guys who are definitively better than Leo in our front 7, with or without Clowney?

According to GW, they are all rotational pieces. He's planning on rotating guys to keep everyone fresh

Leonard is our 3rd best 3-4 DE / 4-3 DT.  And he's not playing NT or LB.  So therefore he's coming off the bench or starting but ceding lots of snaps to Henry Anderson.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Leonard is our 3rd best 3-4 DE / 4-3 DT.  And he's not playing NT or LB.  So therefore he's coming off the bench or starting but ceding lots of snaps to Henry Anderson.  

First of all, he's a starter right now. 

Secondly, he's a guy who is going to play multiple positions in GW's defense, as will a bunch of other guys. 

I'd trade Leo in a package for an elite edge rusher, but I don't think Clowney fits the bill.

Reports: Miami interested in Jadeveon Clowney, who prefers Seahawks or Eagles

Posted by Charean Williams on August 27, 2019, 3:33 PM EDT

The Texans can’t trade pass-rusher Jadeveon Clowneyuntil he signs his franchise tender. Texans coach Bill O’Brien said Saturday night “the ball’s in his court.”

Clowney recently fired his agent, so maybe the ball will start rolling.

The question is: Where?

The Texans seem intent on moving Clowney, but no team can sign him to an extension until after the regular season ends, complicating things.

The Dolphins are “very interested” in a trade for Clowney, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chroniclereports. The Texans presumably would want Laremy Tunsil, and a report three days ago said the Dolphins were telling other teams the offensive tackle isn’t going anywhere.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL, Clowney already has met in person with Dolphins coach Brian Flores and members of the front office.

Clowney prefers to play for the Seahawks or the Eagles, per Wilson, and as an unsigned player, Clowney could chose to continue holding out rather than go to a team not of his liking.

So stay tuned to the continuing saga of Jadeveon Clowney.

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nah, even if we had Clowney, Leo would still be a top 3 defensive front 7 player for us.

At worst, he helps keep QW fresh. At best, he takes another step as a player and helps make our front 7 be above average. 

I don’t really want to trade Leo

Rest assure. Leo is not going anywhere.

• Sympathy 1