Clayton: Jets Have Contacted Texans About Clowney

Why trade for Clowney when guys like Shane Ray may hit the street and we can get them for close to free?

Sure, Clowney is a much better talent, but I'd rather make some incremental improvements with an OLB like Ray this year and then try to Draft a better prospect than Polite next year.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, they won't.  It's already been reported that Q isn't working out at NT.  They will not be on the field at the same time, at least not in 3-4 looks.   

Have to ask, where has it been reported that Q isnt working out at NT?  

On 8/27/2019 at 6:29 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Let me explain this to you one last time and maybe you will get it.  Jadaveon clowney is a good player who wants great money.  We are not in the business of paying good players great money.  Those days are over.

So if you traded them Leo, in effect each team would be trading good players that will both want great money.

And I'd rather have a good edge this year than a another good DT.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

I actually don’t have a strong inkling either way as far as what the Jets will do with Leo in the off-season....just wanted to know why you are sure the Jets won’t..

What do I know, right. Im just pretending I’m GM and thinking about our roster, about needs and dollars... compared to what Leo and his agent are going to want this (this is likely his best chance to cash in) I don’t see the ROI being seductive. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

This is the bust everyone keeps talking about. That’s against the Eagles OL.

Now show him on the other 35+ plays... Nobody is questioning his talent... He can be great when he tries... He just takes a lot of plays off.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m still waiting for him to post it. I haven’t read it anywhere. 

Thanks, same here.  Few back he said that it was announced they wouldnt be on the field together much.  THat I find hard to believe. Now hes failed as a NT?  Havent heard that, I would think as the Jets top pick it would news we've all heard

16 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Welp according to Connor Rogers on his podcast yesterday . Clowney for Robby isn’t gonna happen .  Cause the jets are obsessed with Robby especially Gase. Robby is Gase favorite WR on the team and Gase thinks he can be a #1 WR. 

Good. I’d rather they keep Anderson. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Why trade for Clowney when guys like Shane Ray may hit the street and we can get them for close to free?

Sure, Clowney is a much better talent, but I'd rather make some incremental improvements with an OLB like Ray this year and then try to Draft a better prospect than Polite next year.

Because Draft capital isn't an endless supply or a sure thing.   If there's a quality, 26 year old starter available that  we should certainly seriously consider it.  If Polite turned out to play at the level of Clowney we would all be ecstatic.  

If there's a reasonable trade to be made, you do it.

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Welp according to Connor Rogers on his podcast yesterday . Clowney for Robby isn’t gonna happen .  Cause the jets are obsessed with Robby especially Gase. Robby is Gase favorite WR on the team and Gase thinks he can be a #1 WR. 

Pretty much what I expected. If Robby has a good season, he’ll be extended just like he wants.

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Leonard is our 3rd best 3-4 DE / 4-3 DT.  And he's not playing NT or LB.  So therefore he's coming off the bench or starting but ceding lots of snaps to Henry Anderson.  

"rotational" piece that's called having a healthy defensive line 

all of these guys are better playing 600-700 snaps a year rather than the 1000 LW played last season

it isn't QB1 these guys rotate all game long. teams need a rotation. 

and prediction LW is the team's best DE/DT and the sack stats will reflect this fact

• Upvote 2

Just now, k-met57 said:

you would trade Leo and next years 1 for a guy who you cant even negotiate with until after the season? thank god you are not the GM.

Leo sucks and will be gone in 5 months so essentially it’s a first rd pick for our first actual pass rusher in 15 years

I could care less what u think

21 hours ago, GreenFish said:

This is the bust everyone keeps talking about. That’s against the Eagles OL.

I like Leo more than most on this message board, but please find me 11 plays against any team in the last 2 years that Leo impacted the game as much as Clowney did against a good Oline line the Eagles have. At this point F it, just trade Leo and a 4th for Clowney and lets solve this pass rushing issue we've had for the past decade.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

I like Leo more than most on this message board, but please find me 11 plays against any team in the last 2 years that Leo impacted the game as much as Clowney did against a good Oline line the Eagles have. At this point F it, just trade Leo and a 4th for Clowney and lets solve this pass rushing issue we've had for the past decade.

Decade?  Try almost 2 decades with no edge rushers