Clayton: Jets Have Contacted Texans About Clowney

Unfortunately, this comment is just as applicable to Williams as it is to Clowney.
The only real difference is one plays a position the team is overloaded at, while the other plays a position of weakness for the team for many years now.  I seriously doubt it would happen anyway, as Houston likely wouldn't be interested, but that's why many here would be on board with that.

I think Leo and Clowney are comparable players, and Williams has been far more durable. I would rather keep the younger Williams as Clowney has been pretty underwhelming compared to his freakish athleticism and power. He is lazy and complacent and would end up being a massive headache.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

For an OLB that’s not impressive. 

VASTLY more impactful than our DT.  And since we just drafted another DT at 3 and have anderson and mclendon and guys trending uo like kafusi and fatkusi and since our olbs suck awfully a switch of resources makes sense.

If his stats are bad then leos really stink, look at tfl and and sacks.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TexJet said:

So many Jets fans have absolutely no clue how good Clowney really is. Some of his best work has resulted when JJ has been injured, which is a fair amount in the last 3 years. But keep thinking he stinks....

First off  J Clowney  been playing out of position, as his best position is De in 4-3 defense.   He might even be better if you put him in the correct scheme fit. 

Why I would be very leery of trading for him. Forget what you are going to have to acquire him , and how much it’s going to cost to sign him.

J Clowney trade is very risky for one reason he had microfracture surgery on one of his knees.     At what point does that knee start to break down.  This trade could backfire big time.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

VASTLY more impactful than our DT.  And since we just drafted another DT at 3 and have anderson and mclendon and guys trending uo like kafusi and fatkusi and since our olbs suck awfully a switch of resources makes sense.

If his stats are bad then leos really stink, look at tfl and and sacks.

He’d be here for one year and leave. He wants to go to a team that has a chance at the SB.

Obviously he’s better at getting TFL and Sacks. That’s his main job as an OLB. I’d rather keep Leo here (assuming he resigns with the Jets) and a pick then ship him and a pick off for a player that doesn’t want to be here. 

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Texans won't trade Clowney for Anderson because Robby simply id not in the same ballpark talent wise as Clowney ...Leo is.

I think it's gotta be Leo in the deal ... Wish it were as simple as trading Robby Rundeep ... But that's not how it works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Robby Anderson is a substantially better player than Leo.  Really not even close.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

If Clowney had a long term contract and it was him for Leo straight up, sure but it’s not. Clowney would be here a year and leave, Leo will probably resign with the Jets. Houston is also going to want more then just Leo. 

I don’t think Leo resigns with the Jets. I don’t think we even make an offer. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Leo and Clowney are about a straight swap $ wise. Clowney tagged at $15.96..... Leo 5th yr. option at $14.2 and an UFA next year. Makes no sense for Houston. They'd have to deal with Leo being an UDFA next year..... no value to the team.

They want a high draft pick.... nothing else!

I think thats extremely unlikely for two reasons.  One, he has a large contract that many teams can accommodate with the salary cap at this late stage.  Two, his status is basically a one year rental with no ability to negotiate an extension with the team at acquires him until after the season, so no guarantee of keeping him.

5 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

We are absolutely in win now mode. If not now, when? Support your young talented QB with the best team possible. 

Oh I don’t know when the GM as built a roster that’s not bottom 5 in the NFL.

We have the most important part Sam, the rest seems a little lacking yet.

Most notable important holes:-

Oline.

Corner back.

Edge Rusher.

No #1 receiver.

Paper thin depth.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  You dont have much history with fanbases then.  

Especially the out of town total homer fanbases.  Try living in FL and have these yahoos tell you the Dolphins have been more successful than the Jets since the turn of the century.  These clowns thin playoffs this year

The fired HC of our most laughable rival is being hailed as a savior. In fact for the first day of his signing, people were jumping off bridges here. Then, a complete Orwellian flip flop, with many posting with no hint of irony: “hated this move yesterday but after sleeping on it, I think it’s brilliant.” Again, a defense of Gase at the end of last season would’ve been roundly mocked. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

I stick with my opinion.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SR24 said:

I think people on here are under  valuing Clowney because he hasn’t lived up to the massive hype he got mostly from 1,2 plays in college. If we had a player coming off back to back 9 sack seasons, in relative good health and  still in his prime wouldn’t we all want to give him a big contract knowing Sams on a rookie deal? Clowney would be a fantastic addition to the defense and would fill a hole that we’ve had for almost a decade. 

I think he’s a good, not great player, who has been playing along side one the best defensemen in the league. That helps.

I’d be much more inclined to trading a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him if we could sign him long term. But on a one year rental with no guarantees?...nah

5 hours ago, GreenFish said:

He met with the Dolphins coaching staff today. Seems likely that Miami is his landing spot. 

How? He doesn’t have an agent, he only has one year left, he wants to play for a potential SB team, the Texans still own his rights and I don’t think Miami is even dumb enough to give up a number 1 or a LT plus a pick for an OLB that’s never broke 10 sacks a year. The only thing that has a chance in this is Miami has a lot of picks including two seconds but would they trade away a lot to get a player for one year? That would be dumb as hell. 

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

64 tackles for a loss is pretty impressive.

Agreed but everyone that seems to want him thinks it will solve the passrushing issue, he’s never had 10 sacks or a lot of QB hits. It will definitely help if you compare him to the OLBs currently on the Jets but as I said he doesn’t have but one year left on his contract.

We don’t need another Farve. 

23 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

How? He doesn’t have an agent, he only has one year left, he wants to play for a potential SB team, the Texans still own his rights and I don’t think Miami is even dumb enough to give up a number 1 or a LT plus a pick for an OLB that’s never broke 10 sacks a year. The only thing that has a chance in this is Miami has a lot of picks including two seconds but would they trade away a lot to get a player for one year? That would be dumb as hell. 

Plus Miamis new coach comes from the Patriots tree. Giving up players & draft capital on a rebuilding team with no clear starter (Fitz & Rosen) makes no sense whatsoever? Jets are involved because we have the money. I think Leo & Trumaine are gone next year. JD won't give up too much, Clowney is not Mack. 

You must of not been around much. Robby Anderson can run the entire route tree now. Thanks tho.
Answer : 587 - 2, 941 - 7, 752 - 6 ....

What's the question ???

Robby Anderson is a nice player w pedestrian numbers. Meh.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Agreed but everyone that seems to want him thinks it will solve the passrushing issue, he’s never had 10 sacks or a lot of QB hits. It will definitely help if you compare him to the OLBs currently on the Jets but as I said he doesn’t have but one year left on his contract.

We don’t need another Farve. 

Agree about the 1 year rental but if it's a Leo swap I think it makes the Jets Dline better & more balanced. Leo's fate was sealed when we drafted QW, he's a better player I can see it already, so I see no way we resign him for some greedy agents asinine money grab. 

Next years draft will focus on Edge, Oline & CB, the 3 positions in the NFL that cost the most in free agency. I think the Jets are a better team + Clowney minus Leo this year, its more balance & McClendon, Kaufusi & Foley Fat can do Leo's job.

Of course I have no idea if the Texans would even want Leo?