Players whose roster spots are on the line tonight...

NYJ1

There's a few players that will get a lot of action tonight. That action will ultimately decide their fate. They're players very much on the fringe of the roster so to speak:

Greg Dortch 

Valentine Holmes 

For the first two,  I think they need to show they can be useful on offense. I think they've already proved they have value on ST. But being versatile is ultimately what earns them a roster spot.

What others am I missing?

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

There's a few players that will get a lot of action tonight. That action will ultimately decide their fate. They're players very much on the fringe of the roster so to speak:

Greg Dortch 

Valentine Holmes 

For the first two,  I think they need to show they can be useful on offense. I think they've already proved they have value on ST. But being versatile is ultimately what earns them a roster spot.

Dortch makes it and likely becomes our starting PR.  Not because he's fast or shifty (although that's great) but because he's been a good decision maker and seems to have confident hands.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Dortch makes it and likely becomes our starting PR.  Not because he's fast or shifty (although that's great) but because he's been a good decision maker and seems to have confident hands.

Can't squash the ant, so hard to do. Hope he makes it....Who was that bust? LB out of Wake Forest a while ago? Last Wake player any merit I recall. Then again I'm just pulling sh*t out my ass. Google makes you soft.

• Haha 2

Just now, Skeptable said:

Dortch made the team last week with his return. I think the majority of players playing for the job are in the secondary, lbs. I think 95%of the spots are taken

That would be encouraging going into tonight that being 95% decided. Preparing for opener, ya know. Hope so.

Greg Dortch 

Valentine Holmes 

28 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Greg Dortch 

Valentine Holmes 

If you are going to post a thread like this do it right. Dortch has pretty much solidified a roster spot and Holmes will not count against the 53 man roster as I believe he is an automatic PS participant. 

QB: Falk, Webb (if they carry 3)

RB: Powell, McGuire 

WR: Peake (specials), Thompson (if they carry 7- otherwise both get cut)

TE: Tomlinson, D.Brown (until Herndon comes back)

O-Line: E.Smith, C.Anderson (both have been pretty bad but the Jets are heavy at G and light at OT, they may want to keep an OT)

D-line: Fatukasi, N.Shepherd, K.Phillips (I know most jet fans think Fatukasi got this but we don't know what the coaches think, all three of these guys have gotten considerable snaps and we don't know if the Jets will keep 6 or 7 D-linemen)

LB: S.Anthony, J.Burgess, H.Langi, McLellan, A.Wint

CB: P.Nickerson, A.Maulet, M.Cooper, T.Campbell, A.Brown (with the recent trade for Nate Hairston, and assuming K.Brown makes it, that leaves one, maybe 2 open spots between these 5 guys). 

S: Middleton, Igwebuike, Kindred (I think Miles is the only guy to have solidified his backup role and a spot on the roster.)

P: Edwards, Darr (this is a weird one. I don't mind either guy. Darr has not looked bad. Edwards has been totally fine as well). 

*K: Theres no competition for K but you better believe if Bertolet has a bad game he is in trouble of losing his spot. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Dortch made the team last week with his return. I think the majority of players playing for the job are in the secondary, lbs. I think 95%of the spots are taken

Would be funny to watch Gase punt on 1st down simply to get reps for the depth defenders in order to evaluate.

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

If you are going to post a thread like this do it right. Dortch has pretty much solidified a roster spot and Holmes will not count against the 53 man roster as I believe he is an automatic PS participant. 

QB: Falk, Webb (if they carry 3)

RB: Powell, McGuire 

WR: Peake (specials), Thompson (if they carry 7- otherwise both get cut)

TE: Tomlinson, D.Brown (until Herndon comes back)

O-Line: E.Smith, C.Anderson (both have been pretty bad but the Jets are heavy at G and light at OT, they may want to keep an OT)

D-line: Fatukasi, N.Shepherd, K.Phillips (I know most jet fans think Fatukasi got this but we don't know what the coaches think, all three of these guys have gotten considerable snaps and we don't know if the Jets will keep 6 or 7 D-linemen)

LB: S.Anthony, J.Burgess, H.Langi, McLellan, A.Wint

CB: P.Nickerson, A.Maulet, M.Cooper, T.Campbell, A.Brown (with the recent trade for Nate Hairston, and assuming K.Brown makes it, that leaves one, maybe 2 open spots between these 5 guys). 

S: Middleton, Igwebuike, Kindred (I think Miles is the only guy to have solidified his backup role and a spot on the roster.)

P: Edwards, Darr (this is a weird one. I don't mind either guy. Darr has not looked bad. Edwards has been totally fine as well). 

*K: Theres no competition for K but you better believe if Bertolet has a bad game he is in trouble of losing his spot. 

Thanks for this, I don't really pay too much attention to preseason.

Curry is the Demon Deacon I was thinking about.

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think these are 10 players who could still be legitimately on the bubble

1. Nathan Sheppard DL
  2. Luke Falk QB
  3. Daniel Brown TE
  4. Tarrell Basham OLB
  5. Parry Nickerson CB
  6. Elisjah McGuire RB
  7. James Burgess LB
  8. Doug Middleton S
  9. Charone Peake WR
  10. Alex Lewis OL

So 10 players to watch in boring preseason game, makes it a lil easier, thanks for that.

41 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think these are 10 players who could still be legitimately on the bubble

1. Nathan Sheppard DL
  2. Luke Falk QB
  3. Daniel Brown TE
  4. Tarrell Basham OLB
  5. Parry Nickerson CB
  6. Elisjah McGuire RB
  7. James Burgess LB
  8. Doug Middleton S
  9. Charone Peake WR
  10. Alex Lewis OL

I agree and I think these 10 are fighting for the last 2-3 spots on the team... But ultimately none of them will make the team since they will be first cut when they make waiver claims... 

Except Lewis... I think he already made the team last week

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

They both are getting cut and Douglas will bring in someone that got released that can help on ST.  

I would bet our ST unit will be very different come mon. 

I agree.

I wonder how much of a turn over we'll see across the board after the cuts... Do they just bring in maybe 2-3 guys? Or do we see like 5-6-7+ newly cut guys get brought in. 

8 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I agree and I think these 10 are fighting for the last 2-3 spots on the team... But ultimately none of them will make the team since they will be first cut when they make waiver claims... 

Except Lewis... I think he already made the team last week

I haven't kept track of how he is doing, but one thing to consider about Lewis:  I think the trade was conditional.  Sure it was only a 7th, but they can probably save it if they cut him and then bring him back.  Of course, OTOH Douglas probably doesn't want to dick his friends in Baltimore around in case he wants a favor later. 

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Powell is not on the bubble.  If he is healthy, hes the 2nd best rb on the team.

I've always liked the old Powell.  I hope he sticks too but i don't believe he's better than Montgomery at this stage.  McGuire should go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

It's disappointing to me that nickerson is ion the bubble.  I thought he had a lot of promise when drafted and was one of the few later round DBs mac took that I liked.

upvote for honesty, and yeah, i kinda felt the same...  i belive he was the worst rated CB by PFF last year.

and if you actually watch when he is on the field...   absolutely cannot play CB at NFL level....

2 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

What on earth makes you think the guy that took 90 percent of the punt returns in preseason (and looked like a natural in the process) is going to be cut? 

Because specifically ST players have to show their worth on offense.  In order to make an NFL franchise you must be versatile. You MUST not only play ST well, but you must be useful on offense or defense. That's Football 101 on how to make the roster. How often have you seen Greg Dortch catching passes? Has he even been targeted at all? I don't recall seeing anything. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Ummm.. Holmes is not making the team as he was assigned by the NFL to the Jets. He is a PS exemption and will be on there no matter what happens.. He is essentially the 11th PS player

Thanks, wasn't sure that he's safe by arrangement

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Because specifically ST players have to show their worth on offense.  In order to make an NFL franchise you must be versatile. You MUST not only play ST well, but you must be useful on offense or defense. That's Football 101 on how to make the roster. How often have you seen Greg Dortch catching passes? Has he even been targeted at all? I don't recall seeing anything. 

That's not true.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Powell is not on the bubble.  If he is healthy, hes the 2nd best rb on the team.

That's not even close to being true.

There's no chance Powell would make the team over Ty.  If one of the two had to go, Powell would be it.  

Hes on the wrong side of 30'& injury prone.  I get some love him but he's done

• Upvote 1

I believe Holmes has a genuine chance at making the roster tonight. He'll need to show a lot more than he has thus far blocking,  running between the Tackles, but he does have a shot. To hell with any roster exemption if he's good enough to make the team. 

• WTF? 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That's not true.  

It isn't? When was the last time you saw a ST player never take any snaps on offense or defense? A player that was EXCLUSIVELY  a ST player?

The answer is it never happens. ALL NFL teams must rely on their ST players to provide playing time, fill in as substitutions, and fill specific roles on offense or defense. A player that makes the team based 100% on ST play is either DEVIN HESTER, LEON WASHINGTON good and even then BOTH of those players had extensive roles on offense. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

It isn't? When was the last time you saw a ST player never take any snaps on offense or defense? A player that was EXCLUSIVELY  a ST player?

The answer is it never happens. ALL NFL teams must rely on their ST players to provide playing time, fill in as substitutions, and fill specific roles on offense or defense. A player that makes the team based 100% on ST play is either DEVIN HESTER, LEON WASHINGTON good and even then BOTH of those players had extensive roles on offense. 

What made Roberts more versatile?  Or just versatile 

Devon Hester did nothing but return his first season.  A handful of receptions in year 2.  Would never have made the team if it weren't for his return skills

Thats without knowing if he will also develop as a contributor at WR

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I'm not sure there's a single spot that is ever legitimately on the line during the 4th preseason game. This late in the game wouldn't you hope your FO knows enough to already have their initial 53 ready?

The real question is "who on the initial 53 is clinging there tenuously and will likely get replaced by waiver wire cuts." 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

50 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

28 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Andre Roberts... Period Stop.... Roberts is a terrible pass catcher hence why he roams from team to team, I bet half the returners in the league are this way.

• Upvote 1