Will We Ever See Adams Again In A Jet Uniform???

KRL

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yikes. I hope they don't trade the team's only real impact player. Picks are great when you have the scouting dept to hit on them. it's not clear the Jets have that at the moment 

Then you fold the franchise or at the very least fire douglas and his whole staff.

You cannot run your franchise assuming you are going to fail.

Adams gives up almost as many plays as he makes.

He is a bit of a flake.

He is going to want massive money.

To set up the defense that best suits him to have to badly compromise other parts of the defense.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

Anyway what's the point of drafting impact players when some ninnies here want to trade them away for......?

Let me rephrase... draft impact players AT IMPACT POSITIONS. Positions that move the needle on the field. Positions that have a gold premium label. CB, WR, EDGE, LT. 

not linebacker/hybrid safety. 

That is a luxury to have impact in that player role. The Seahawks are 10-2 without Kam Chancellor or Earl Thomas. I wonder why?

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You actually think he doesn’t care what people think of him??????

thats even more funny.

the guy’s skin is made of Saran Wrap.

He might.  But not when theres a 65 million dollar contract at stake.

Jamal Adams and his agent would be total morons to let him play next year.  If he blows his knee out, he could cost himself 65 million dollars.  I dont even like jamal adams and I would not let him step on the field next year unless he has a 4 year 65 million dollar contract.

From a rebuild perspective he is the most valuable chip because he is on his rookie deal. 

I would prefer to get a player and some picks for him but 3 or more picks could sway me. 

it will be interesting to see what his absence means to the defense. 

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed completely with the others who have said that Adams will hold out this summer without a new deal.

This guy has publicly said that he views himself in the same class as Brady and Aaron Donald. 

Doesn’t matter if he has another year plus the 5th year option left on his deal. He’ll pull a Zeke and hold out anyway.

And the same people who continually fawn over him will blast the piss out of him, just like they did with Revis. And Revis was 5x the player in his prime and played a premium position.

Take a 1st and 3rd and don’t look back.

Very good player who thinks he’s a phenom and has already dicked Joe Douglas around and has separated himself from the team on multiple occasions. All of this “I’m a winner, not a loser”, “I’m not a part of it” crap. You don’t think that rubs plenty of dudes in the locker room the wrong way? Please.

Agreed.  And I will agree with him in holding out.  Why would anyone risk a $65 million dollar deal for 3.5 million dollars.  It doesnt make sense for him to play.

2 hours ago, genot said:

Lets tank for a trade down, and keep Adams. How about that. A top 5 pick in this years draft, we'll be able to get back multiple picks.

It's going to be hard to get a top 5 pick, especially if we beat Miami.  Right now we're sitting at # 8.  

Also, there's no guarantee we can get a big package of picks for, say, the # 3-5 pick even if we end up in that range.  If this turns out to be a 2-QB draft, we'll only get a modest package of picks back in a trade down scenario.  

Give me the 1st & 3rd for Adams AND a potential trade down.  

3 hours ago, genot said:

To you it is. You pay him what the market tells you to pay him. That's up to the GM. 

No, you don't.  Because not every GM values a strong safety like Adams appropriately.  That's called market inefficiency.  Smart GM's take advantage of what dumb GM's are doing all the time based on that concept. 

If one GM is willing to give Jamal $16M per season and Douglas only thinks he's worth $10M per season, then Douglas should feel no urgency to pay him the 16 just because of the "market value".  Let someone else do it.  

3 hours ago, genot said:

You mentioned his interception totals. My point was if nobody is throwing your way, how can those interceptions happen. I. E. Revis

Maybe because Jamal is freelancing around the LOS constantly, where he isn't covering anyone.  You can't blitz up the middle AND cover a receiver at the same time.  

No one is throwing at Quinnen Williams.  That doesn't mean you have him drop into coverage.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, genot said:

You mentioned his interception totals. My point was if nobody is throwing your way, how can those interceptions happen. I. E. Revis

Seriously?  He is a ******* safety.  He isn't just manning up and he sure isn't avoided like Revis when he does.  They do use him in a bunch of ways, but if he were any good at playing centerfield and eating up deep balls, he'd be doing it instead of Maye.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And we very well may.  But that doesnt change the fact that jamal adams is not playing another snap for the jets under his rookie contract terms.

Maybe, but it had better be on the team's terms.  Not his.  I don't give a **** what he or his agent want.  We get what we deserve for him or he can pay the fines and sit out. He will still be under contract to the Jets for 2021 on the 5th year option.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, first off Dallad will not offer anything close to that. This isn't  a QB we are trading. 

Secondly,  plain and simple, the Jets are a worse team without Adams. Trading him make the team worse unleas you hit on every pick you get which will lokely be a second maybe a first round pick. 

Anything close to what?  They already are said to have offered a 1st and 3rd.  ODBJr net a 1st, 3rd and Jabril Peppers and he was already being paid a ridiculous sum of money, not locked in cheap for a couple of years under team control.  Possible that Dallas won't offer much more because they probably wanted him for their run in 2019, but someone will and a 2nd or 1st isn't going to sniff getting it done.  A 1st and 2nd, maybe.

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agreed.  And I will agree with him in holding out.  Why would anyone risk a $65 million dollar deal for 3.5 million dollars.  It doesnt make sense for him to play.

Because his value will drop.  He will be fined.  He will not accrue the season, so he will have to show up in 2020 under the option year.  There are plenty of reasons.  Like I said, it isn't 1983. Unless he thinks the XFL is going to take off and he can play there duting the lockout/strike.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, genot said:

No. I just didn't think he was as bad as some on the board thought he was. Im not the only one who feels Adams is a top defensive player. A lot of people do.

But you operate as if there's no objective way to determine if Macc was a bad GM or just how impactful Adams is.  There are. 

Macc was objectively the worst GM in the league from 2015-18.  We know this is true, because he drafted a higher % of players who are no longer in the league than any other GM in this span, and it wasn't close.  The team he ran also had the 2nd worst winning % from 2015-18, behind only the Browns.  

It's harder to parse that out with Adams, but we do know things like W/L %, defensive metrics, and individual metrics that suggest Adams is overrated from an impact standpoint.  We also know traditionally that the 2 positions that impact the defense the most are CB1 and EDGE.  And the evidence for this is reflective in how much money NFL teams spend on CB1's and pass rushers.  It's also reflective in the defensive rankings of teams that prioritize CB1's and EDGE rushers ahead of, say, Safeties, ILB's and non pass-rushing DT's.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

One guy did it?  Jerry Jones has also shown a propensity to fold for "his" players for years.  He also thought they would be competing for the super bowl.  If Joe Douglas acts like Jerry Jones, we are royally ****ed.  If Adams tries this, **** him.  Show a backbone, like the Steelers. 

Trading him now would be preferable to waiting until Adams is in his UFA season to see just how much he thinks of himself.  The  dude comes off as a DSM-V narcissist so we probably know the answer to that question.  

We'd definitely be looking at a single late 3rd round compensatory pick rather than the 1st & 3rd (or more) we can get this offseason.  The latter certainly outweighs having 2 more years of Adams, only 1 season of which he'll be cheap.  

On 12/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

The easily triggered responses to Jamal Adams criticism or desire for a trade on this board is ******* ridiculous.  

I have no issue with trading him for a proper amount of picks because it will help the future of the team but some of the criticism is ridiculous as far as his play and/or trade value. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Secondly,  plain and simple, the Jets are a worse team without Adams. 

This is a silly argument.  Namely because we're not JUST getting draft picks in a trade for Adams.  We're also avoiding paying him $15M+ per season down the road.  Money that could be better used on O-Linemen and/or Sam's new contract IF he proves to be the "franchise guy".  

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

you do realize that Jamal Adams is under contract until the end of 2021 and then they have a 5th year option that can keep him locked in until the end 2022, right? 

And then really, if they wanted to, they could franchise tag him until 2023’s offseason. He isn’t going anywhere no matter how much he cries.

The franchise tag value for Adams would be about $14M.  Do we want to be paying him that much, even for just 1 year?  Franchise and trade would be nice, but we'd be hamstrung because teams would know we'd have to unload him for less than market value.  

Besides, when the new CBA comes out, there may no longer be a franchise tag.  

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Eh, I don't see this team as 'rebuilding everywhere but QB'. I know a lot of fans are really negative about this team and point to the record and playoff drought and fairly so, but I just don't think this roster, when healthy, is as bad as a lot of fans say it is. 

Lets just start off by stating the obvious and that is that apart from ILB and DL, the Jets are lacking Depth all over. But that is true of a lot of teams, good and bad. It's just how the NFL is, it's hard to have quality depth at every position.

On the Defensive side the Jets are really only lacking an impact Edge rusher and one #1 CB. Would it be better to have 2 impact edge rushers and 2 starting outside CBs? Of course. But to be a very solid defense that they can compete with they only need to add one #1 CB. 

On offense there is ONE major issue and that is the O-line. O-line need to be completely blown up and rebuilt. This will be priority #1 for JD in FA and the draft. I don;t think he can take a long term approach. I think he has to invest early round picks and add starting caliber FAs. We need a fully functional O-line by next season. It may not be dominant, but it has to be fully functional. 

The other need on offense is not a MAJOR need but its still necessary and that is an additional receiving weapon(s) for Darnold. I honestly believe that with good play-calling and protection from the o-line, the combination of Bell, Herndon, Griffin, Crowder, Robby and fill in the blank JAG vets is enough for a functional offense. However, if the Jets want to be a dangerous offense, they need to add a dangerous receiver in the draft or FA. Enunwa coming back healthy would def. help. Letting Robby walk would hurt, unless they were able to replace him with an equal or better FA.  

So the conclusion is still the same:  We have more needs than our current number of high draft picks.  EDGE, 1 CB, a brand new OL, and maybe a WR.  It would sure be nice to make a concerted effort to get all of those in one draft rather than being forced to spread it out over 3 drafts.  

Get Douglas as many picks as possible to that end.  

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

One guy did it?  Jerry Jones has also shown a propensity to fold for "his" players for years.  He also thought they would be competing for the super bowl.  If Joe Douglas acts like Jerry Jones, we are royally ****ed.  If Adams tries this, **** him.  Show a backbone, like the Steelers. 

I dont think Douglas is the guy you have to worry about trying to be Jerry Jones. Adams has already gone straight to the owner.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bomberjet said:

I don't know  why anyone thinks that we need a sh*t load of draft picks to fix the issues with this team ?

If that were the case how does NE Pats mange to get to the Super Bowl all these FREAKIN years without a high draft pick!! It's all about coaching and having the insight in making the system work with the players you have - 

Yes, the organization we should try to emulate are the cheating Patriots.  Surely that's a blueprint that's worked everywhere else.  

We need a sh*tload of draft picks to fix the issues with this team because we have exactly that....a sh*tload of issues.  How else do you think they need to be fixed?  Free agency?  Because that doesn't work.  Especially not for bad teams.  This is not a good destination for FA's.  Elite ones at premium positions won't come here without a massive overpay.  And very few elite FA's at premium positions are ever available in a given offseason.  We had tons of cap space last offseason and what did we end up with?  A RB who gets hit/touched behind the LOS seemingly every play and an ILB.  Hooray.  

15 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I have no issue with trading him for a proper amount of picks because it will help the future of the team but some of the criticism is ridiculous as for as his play and/or trade value. 

Arguing over his play, impact, and trade value is not based on "hatred".  

If we're talking about his personality, yeah, that's where the conversation moves to hate.  

• Upvote 1

I like Adams but I am open to a trade under the right conditions. Letting Adams go means giving up our best pass rusher and one of the better pieces of the defense. So that means we have to walk away with a replacement strategy that can fill his duties on the LOS and in the secondary. You also have to be confident that a brand new GM has the ability and the scouting department to replace Adams--for whatever you think he is worth to the team--plus add value from the trade to take on the risk of trading Adams away and getting worse players in return. I am not sure Douglas has earned that trust from me just yet. I'm more of the mindset to see if Adams has a good year next year and then trade him away after Douglas has shown the ability to improve the roster. 

Any way Joe Douglas offers up Maye as well? Package Adams and Maye to the Cowboys and there is no telling what wheeler-dealer Jerry Jones would cough up.

I live in central Texas and can tell you firsthand that the 2 positions Dallas needs to really shore up is Tight End and Safety. My friends and family members scream about this weekly

6 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

1, 3 AND a 2 for a guy who is clearly not happy to be here and is probably thisclose to holding out? Unlikely.

The Jets would be lucky to get the 1+ that Dallas offered at the trade deadline.

As to the topic: Nah, he's checked out mentally. He'll be gone by TC

Dallas offered 1+. Jets didn’t accept cuz JD valued him more than the offered price. Jets hold the cards here. He can hold out it he won’t do that until mandatory camp. By then, he would be long gone, if Jets were to trade him. So holdout isn’t affecting anything. His play only got better. His value went up and to the point of two high draft picks (1st and 3rd or even a high 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Maybe not from you but there’s posters on here who can’t get over where he was drafted or who was drafted after him because that obviously changes his ability to play. 

Well, we can't fire Macc twice, so......

It's like directing your anger over Verizon to a customer service rep.  The rep isn't responsible for the problems you're experiencing but it's the person you're talking to at the time.