2020 WR thread

maury77

On 3/16/2020 at 12:16 AM, MindOverMatter said:

There will be many options in round 2.

I'm hoping for something like this

Rd1 Wills/Wirfs/Thomas possibly Becton or Lamb. Both have All Pro potential but not sure Jets are in position to take a risk on Becton. If he fails Darnold is going to get killed out there. Josh Jones in a trade down scenerio would be great. 

Rd 2 Jefferson/ Aiyuk/ Higgins/Mims/Cushenberry/Peoples-Jones/A.Jackson

Rd 3 D.Arnette/Michael Pittman Jr/Edwards-Helaire/Duvarney/Claypool

Rd 4 G,C,CB,RB, WR if 2 haven't been taken already

BPA rest of draft

Jeudy would fit our scheme better than Lamb. Jeudy holds scheme versatility. Lamb needs a system with a lot of slants, digs, bubble screens and such. I'm not saying we couldn't make it work, but if it came down to the 2, I'd expect them to take Jeudy. Would love Cushenberry, could move McGovern back to Guard (his more natural position imo). I dont think Tee Higgins makes it to us (might not make it out of the 1st round). Arnette shouldn't fall to 3rd. Love Claypool is 3rd. 

WRs I like that could be there in 3rd or later:

Lynn Bowden: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lynn-bowden?id=3219424f-5706-8668-b439-a993ac0e9d5d

Antonio Gandy Golden: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/antonio-gandy-golden?id=32194741-4e13-9028-ffdd-34109916cfd5

Van Jefferson: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/vanchii-jefferson?id=32194a45-4643-6716-6cf6-1dcc41075f1f

Gabriel Davis: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gabriel-davis?id=32194441-5632-9675-38f5-3e009da4e98e

• Upvote 1

FWIW......I heard that Green Bay has been sniffing around Tee Higgins a lot during this odd pre draft season.  They’ve had a few phone conversations with him and have reached out to several members of the Clemson staff regarding him.  Green Bay might be his floor in this draft.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

FWIW......I heard that Green Bay has been sniffing around Tee Higgins a lot during this odd pre draft season.  They’ve had a few phone conversations with him and have reached out to several members of the Clemson staff regarding him.  Green Bay might be his floor in this draft.  

makes sense.... Eq St. Brown has been slow to develop and hurt all of last year & MVS has proven to be nothing but a flasher... That would suck, but i can't blame GB

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

makes sense.... Eq St. Brown has been slow to develop and hurt all of last year & MVS has proven to be nothing but a flasher... That would suck, but i can't blame GB

I think the notion he makes it to 48 is simply wishful thinking right now.  48 is looking more and more like no mans land for this WR class.  We’ll see though. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think the notion he makes it to 48 is simply wishful thinking right now.  48 is looking more and more like no mans land for this WR class.  We’ll see though. 

I think the lack at the top of the class might push the rest of the class a bit lower, and then bam, you get a huge run in the late first and second. Lets see how JD navigates the waters.

Aiyuk would be a great realistic option at 48

One other guy that needs to be considered is Hamler out of PSU.  I hate this, I’ve been avoiding this guy like the plague because he’s a slot but he is a legit 4.2/4.3 guy, he didn’t run at the combine due to a hammy. Crowder’s contract is really just one more year.

Is he DeSean Jackson 2.0? just stronger with 15 bench reps ? 

• Upvote 1

Hamler had a lot of drops. Pretty sure he’s shorter than Jackson too. Seems like the kind of guy a pretty established team might want to gamble on since it’s gravy if he works out. Jets better off going with the kind of player who has a better hit rate historically.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/6/2020 at 1:47 AM, David Harris said:

Aiyuk would be a great realistic option at 48

One other guy that needs to be considered is Hamler out of PSU.  I hate this, I’ve been avoiding this guy like the plague because he’s a slot but he is a legit 4.2/4.3 guy, he didn’t run at the combine due to a hammy. Crowder’s contract is really just one more year.

Is he DeSean Jackson 2.0? just stronger with 15 bench reps ? 

Take a look at Earnest Edwards from UMaine. (Rochester NY)

Same build and speed (super shifty)  but might be there as a UDFA. Kid has Blocking/KR/RB/gadget skills too. 

MY 6000th post! Woooooooo!!!

Hes #81

• Sympathy 1

On 3/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, sec101row23 said:

So who do we think are realistic possibilities of being on the Board at #48 if the Jets stay there and are looking at WR?

It sounds like Higgins may be long gone.  Are we looking at Reagor, Pittman, Aiyuk, maybe Claypool in that #48 spot?

All of those guys are solid prospects with some level of flaws that keep them out of that elite 1st round group.

The one seemingly Top 10 WR that I don't think I want is Shenault. Right now I think I'm feeling....

1. Jeudy
  2. Ruggs
  3. Lamb
  4. Jefferson
  5. Mims
  6. Higgins
  7. Aiyuk
  8. Reagor
  9. Pittman
  10. Claypool

as my Top 10.  But you know....that changes with the wind. lol

Mims is awesome. We’ll see if the NFL agrees. All the online people have gotten on board with thinking he’s awesome and yet we don’t see him on day one in the Jeremiah, Kiper, McShay big boards. That is not to say they’re right - but they have team contacts and I’d think if he was a slam dunk first rounder they’d have him rated there. I’d venture a guess he slides farther than we expect. Feel similarly about Thomas but that’s more a potential top 5 pick versus maybe falling into the mid-late teens thing than slam dunk first rounder versus possibly on the board at 48.

I’m curious what the desire for speed means for Douglas and the WR position. Higgins has been a big play guy but more in the jump ball sense. I think Gase wants more on the ground separation and route running. Recall he was not a Parker guy and Parker was very much go up and get it. Found the Mehta article really really interesting regarding the idea that Douglas may not take the guy Gase wants but he’ll give him a guy who he thinks does what Gase wants. Kind of the best of both worlds. Evaluator evaluates but gives the coach a player who has the traits the coach is looking for.

Reagor and Aiyuk are the guys who jump out as being explosive day 2 picks who can play outside. That’s the criteria I’d guess we’re going for. Mims certainly if you count him. Claypool maybe in a different sense. Same with Pittman to a different extent - seems more agile than Claypool. Both are big bodies and use that but not necessarily sure that means they’re not fits. Kind of skeptical they take Claypool but there’s also the possibility long term they try to turn him into kind of a move TE if WR doesn’t work precision wise - Gase certainly runs a lot of two TE stuff. I really like Shenault and think he’s a perfect fit for what Gase wants in several ways (size, physical ability to drop his weight, cut, and run routes, ability to catch outside his frame, etc) but I get the questions. He once described Demaryius Thomas as his perfect outside receiver and I see a lot of Thomas in Shenault. Kind of think he’s the guy at 48 or 69 pending injury but I think the board would erupt...but that reinforces my thought he may be the guy. Would be good to have someone else more polished in addition to him though. Mims, Pittman, or Van Jefferson + Shenault would be awesome. Still love Mooney day 3 too.

• Upvote 1

I like Jeudy a lot more than the other WR’s - The consistent separation he shows is incredible and is down to pure skill. 

Ruggs could be exceptional, some team will take a chance on him early and it could be us.

Think Lamb is overrated although I never really trust more physical WR prospects. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I like Jeudy a lot more than the other WR’s - The consistent separation he shows is incredible and is down to pure skill. 

Ruggs could be exceptional, some team will take a chance on him early and it could be us.

Think Lamb is overrated although I never really trust more physical WR prospects. 

I think lamb is awesome, he’s got every trait you’d want in a stud wr except maybe an inch more of height.  I think he’ll be more effective in the nfl than jeudy, he’s more physical and gets his share of 50/50 balls.  Also, i could be wrong on this, but i don’t really see jeudy go deep that much, he’s usually doing slants and fakes, etc, so maybe lamb is better on deeper routes.

truth, we know that wrs stats more than other guys are dependent on having good qbs, OLs and offensive coaches who understand how to use them.  So whether jeudy, lamb, ruggs, Mims, etc. are ultimately better in the pros will depend largely on the situations they find themselves in.

All this said, i still can see the jets going OL in the first, then targeting guys like shenault in the 2nd.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I think lamb is awesome, he’s got every trait you’d want in a stud wr except maybe an inch more of height.  I think he’ll be more effective in the nfl than jeudy, he’s more physical and gets his share of 50/50 balls.  Also, i could be wrong on this, but i don’t really see jeudy go deep that much, he’s usually doing slants and fakes, etc, so maybe lamb is better on deeper routes.

truth, we know that wrs stats more than other guys are dependent on having good qbs, OLs and offensive coaches who understand how to use them.  So whether jeudy, lamb, ruggs, Mims, etc. are ultimately better in the pros will depend largely on the situations they find themselves in.

All this said, i still can see the jets going OL in the first, then targeting guys like shenault in the 2nd.

I don't quite see it that way.  Lamb and Jeudy are both a little on the small side when compared to the 'perfect prospects'. 

I'd probably put Julio Jones up as the closest thing to a perfect WR prospect we've seen in the last 10 years.  6'3" 220 lbs. 4.39 speed, bear paws for hands.  Literally nothing not to like.

Lamb and Jeudy are a little shorter, more than a little lighter, smaller hands, and don't have the same pure speed.  Not to say they won't be great (Jerry Rice was very similar in profile) but there is a reason they come in with 6.8 grades as compared to Julio's ridiculous 7.5.  Not to say they are small (6'1" 195ish) but I'm curious to see how they adjust to the NFL game.  

I definitely do agree that their success will be largely influenced by where they land in the league.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't quite see it that way.  Lamb and Jeudy are both a little on the small side when compared to the 'perfect prospects'. 

I'd probably put Julio Jones up as the closest thing to a perfect WR prospect we've seen in the last 10 years.  6'3" 220 lbs. 4.39 speed, bear paws for hands.  Literally nothing not to like.

Lamb and Jeudy are a little shorter, more than a little lighter, smaller hands, and don't have the same pure speed.  Not to say they won't be great (Jerry Rice was very similar in profile) but there is a reason they come in with 6.8 grades as compared to Julio's ridiculous 7.5.  Not to say they are small (6'1" 195ish) but I'm curious to see how they adjust to the NFL game.  

I definitely do agree that their success will be largely influenced by where they land in the league.

Agree. I really like Lamb and Jeudy as prospects but they really are not particularly impressive physically like the elite top WR prospects we've seen and that seems to be getting swept under the rug. It's almost like an overcorrection for overdrafting workout wonders.

I also think Jefferson is frankly underrated in that media top group. Elite production - he played with Burrow but Lamb played with Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts and Jeudy played with Tua and Hurts. And he played with Chase but Jeudy with Ruggs and Smith. Played a ton in the slot but so did but Jeudy. Better production than Ruggs obviously. More bulk than any of them. To me all four are similar in that top group and it just depends what traits you're looking for the most. And I think Mims is as safe a prospect as any of them with a ton of upside.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Watching a ton of highlights of Jeudy and Ruggs and funnily enough the guy who often stands out is Waddle the #17. Guy runs like the f*ckind wind.

I've been touting Waddle up since last year. He's the most electrifying player in CFB with the ball in his hands and has some crazy speed. 

On 4/10/2020 at 3:24 AM, Irish Jet said:

I love physical WR prospects but not ones you have to scheme around - which Jets are historically bad at doing.

If Jeudy is there, take him. He can fit into any scheme, is the more polished prospect, runs crisp routes - very sudden out of breaks, big playmaker - homerun hitter with great YAC. He's used to being double teamed, has shown he can beat them, he can make leaping catches - while maintaining body control and enough focus to get toes inbounds. He had great play speed - could see him burning a lot of nfl corners - meaning they will have to put a safety on him opening up all types of lanes for Perriman & Crowder or Bell out of the backfield. Fingers crossed that he drops to 11. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

I love physical WR prospects but not ones you have to scheme around - which Jets are historically bad at doing.

If Jeudy is there, take him. He can fit into any scheme, is the more polished prospect, runs crisp routes - very sudden out of breaks, big playmaker - homerun hitter with great YAC. He's used to being double teamed, has shown he can beat them, he can make leaping catches - while maintaining body control and enough focus to get toes inbounds. He had great play speed - could see him burning a lot of nfl corners - meaning they will have to put a safety on him opening up all types of lanes for Perriman & Crowder or Bell out of the backfield. Fingers crossed that he drops to 11. 

NFL is all about being sudden out of breaks that’s what Jeudy is great at

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:45 AM, derp said:

Mims is awesome. We’ll see if the NFL agrees. All the online people have gotten on board with thinking he’s awesome and yet we don’t see him on day one in the Jeremiah, Kiper, McShay big boards. That is not to say they’re right - but they have team contacts and I’d think if he was a slam dunk first rounder they’d have him rated there. I’d venture a guess he slides farther than we expect. Feel similarly about Thomas but that’s more a potential top 5 pick versus maybe falling into the mid-late teens thing than slam dunk first rounder versus possibly on the board at 48.

I’m curious what the desire for speed means for Douglas and the WR position. Higgins has been a big play guy but more in the jump ball sense. I think Gase wants more on the ground separation and route running. Recall he was not a Parker guy and Parker was very much go up and get it. Found the Mehta article really really interesting regarding the idea that Douglas may not take the guy Gase wants but he’ll give him a guy who he thinks does what Gase wants. Kind of the best of both worlds. Evaluator evaluates but gives the coach a player who has the traits the coach is looking for.

Reagor and Aiyuk are the guys who jump out as being explosive day 2 picks who can play outside. That’s the criteria I’d guess we’re going for. Mims certainly if you count him. Claypool maybe in a different sense. Same with Pittman to a different extent - seems more agile than Claypool. Both are big bodies and use that but not necessarily sure that means they’re not fits. Kind of skeptical they take Claypool but there’s also the possibility long term they try to turn him into kind of a move TE if WR doesn’t work precision wise - Gase certainly runs a lot of two TE stuff. I really like Shenault and think he’s a perfect fit for what Gase wants in several ways (size, physical ability to drop his weight, cut, and run routes, ability to catch outside his frame, etc) but I get the questions. He once described Demaryius Thomas as his perfect outside receiver and I see a lot of Thomas in Shenault. Kind of think he’s the guy at 48 or 69 pending injury but I think the board would erupt...but that reinforces my thought he may be the guy. Would be good to have someone else more polished in addition to him though. Mims, Pittman, or Van Jefferson + Shenault would be awesome. Still love Mooney day 3 too.

Gase definitely has a type when it comes to receivers.  Has the deep ball threat (Stills, Anderson, Perriman (Vyncint Smith)), the quick slot (Landry, Wilson, Amendola, Crowder (Berrios)) and the fast big body wide receivers (Thomas, Parker, (Enunwa/Malone)).  The Jets seem to be missing a reliable big WR.  His offense seems to rely on speed on the outsides and quicker than fast in the slot.  Doesn't seem to have a place for a true WR1 or slow jump ball type receivers.  Could see Mims fulfilling that fast bigger wide receiver role.

• Upvote 2

On 4/14/2020 at 6:21 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Gase definitely has a type when it comes to receivers.  Has the deep ball threat (Stills, Anderson, Perriman (Vyncint Smith)), the quick slot (Landry, Wilson, Amendola, Crowder (Berrios)) and the fast big body wide receivers (Thomas, Parker, (Enunwa/Malone)).  The Jets seem to be missing a reliable big WR.  His offense seems to rely on speed on the outsides and quicker than fast in the slot.  Doesn't seem to have a place for a true WR1 or slow jump ball type receivers.  Could see Mims fulfilling that fast bigger wide receiver role.

I get where you are coming from, but how many of those guys were even added to those teams after Gase got there?  

Stills, Anderson, Landry, Parker, and Enunwa were all on the teams when he got there.  Vyncint Smith, Berrios and Malone were bargain basement pickups.  Gase sure wasn't happy with Maccagnan, so who knows what he thought of Crowder though they certainly used him enough.  Basically, Wilson and Amendola were the adds made for Gase.  You could count Thomas, but he was a basically an emergency pickup of someone that knew the offense after Enunwa went down. 

Gase certainly seems to like speed, finding a place for Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson was on pace for a really nice season in 2018 before he went down. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get where you are coming from, but how many of those guys were even added to those teams after Gase got there?  

Stills, Anderson, Landry, Parker, and Enunwa were all on the teams when he got there.  Vyncint Smith, Berrios and Malone were bargain basement pickups.  Gase sure wasn't happy with Maccagnan, so who knows what he thought of Crowder though they certainly used him enough.  Basically, Wilson and Amendola were the adds made for Gase.  You could count Thomas, but he was a basically an emergency pickup of someone that knew the offense after Enunwa went down. 

Gase certainly seems to like speed, finding a place for Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson was on pace for a really nice season in 2018 before he went down. 

I agree most of these guys were there when Gase took over but he has had a big impact on whether they play or continue playing for the team.  Eric Decker being replaced by Sanders or Landry being replaced by Albert Wilson.  As good as those players were, he let them walk or forced them out to replace with his type of player.  If there is one thing about Gase, its his stubbornness to change and that he sticks to a certain type of player/style.  I posted this in another topic but there is definitely a trend of guys he either acquired or has seen significant playing time in his offense:

Position Name Height Weight 40 10-yard
x Demaryius Thomas 6'3" 224 4.38  
x Devante Parker 6'2" 209 4.45 1.51
x Cody Latimer 6'2.5" 215 4.44 1.55
x/z Bershad Perriman 6'2" 212 4.26 1.51
x Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 4.41 1.57
x/z Josh Malone 6'3" 208 4.40  

z Kenny Stills 6'0" 194 4.38 1.54
z Emmanuel Sanders 5'11" 186 4.41 1.49
z Robby Anderson 6'3" 187 4.36 1.59
z Vyncint Smith 6'2" 190 4.36  

s Isaiah Ford 6'1" 194 4.61 1.59
s Jakeem Grant 5'6" 165 4.37 1.54
s Jarvis Landry 5'10" 205 4.65 1.73
s Braxton Berrios 5'7" 184 4.44 1.58
s Jamison Crowder 5'7" 185 4.46  
s Albert Wilson 5'8" 202 4.43 1.54
s Danny Amendola 5'9" 183 4.58 1.56

It's also not like these 4.45 guys are everywhere.  In this years combine only 12 of the 43 that ran the 40 would fit the criteria.  And if you are looking for sub 4.41 guy to play the z receiver: 6 out of the 43.

Even his most recent slot players he's acquired have been Berrios, Crowder, Wilson, Grant and Amendola.  Amendola being the outlier but the others all under 4.47. 

As for Smith, Berrios, and Malone, they were "bargain basement pickups" with one thing in common: speed.  None of them were highly regarded wide receiver prospects.  They were middle of the road wide receivers prospects with speed.

"As for the range for above-average and elite wide receivers (between 4.42 and 4.57 seconds)" - Cynthia Frelund.  It seems like Gase gravitates more toward the 4.42 with rare instances past 4.45.

He clearly can play outside, one of the few guys in this solid class who has legit wheels, him and Crowder in the slot in 4 wides would be wild, who knows how long Crowder is around, brings a different slot skill set too...I was Way overthinking that one.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, RobR said:

I have some serious man love for Duvernay.

No idea why he's not a more popular name. I bet NFL teams aren't sleeping on him. 

He'll be a highlight reel guy, except his replays won't be falling backward one-handing the catch.... he'll be one-handing DBs into the dirt as he trucks past.