Chargers Officially Move On From Rivers

SR24

Most Likely:

Colts or Titans.

Long shots:

Saints if Brees retires

Raiders and they trade Carr and draft Rivers’ replacement in waiting.

Broncos if they’re not 100% sold on Lock (and they shouldn’t be).

Vikings if they’re over Cousins. Their window is closing.

Bears should go after him but they won’t, as they seem all in on Trubisky.

• WTF? 2

Tampa Bay. He just moved his family there 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/philip-rivers-is-moving-to-florida-and-heres-the-nfl-team-in-the-state-hes-already-being-linked-to/

According to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, who reported in November that Rivers and the Chargers would likely be parting ways, there's "a lot of buzz" about Tampa Bay as a potential landing spot for Rivers, which is intriguing for multiple reasons. 

• Upvote 2

3 QBs going in the Top 10 would be simply great news for the Jets at #11.  Seem to be at least 5 or 6 very high quality prospects at OT and WR that should be under consideration and worthy of being taken 11th. 3 QBs and just a couple of defenders being taken pushes down guys to the Jets.  3 CBs + Chase Young + Jeffry Okudah leaves at least ONE of Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Jeudy, Lamb.

The gamesmanship in that Top 6 could be fun to watch as well.  Remember, the Jets pulled their "power move" to #3 in March by trading the #6 to the Colts.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers try to get ahead of Miami and, assuming Burrow goes #1, get to pick the second QB off the board (Tua, Herbert, Love?).

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/philip-rivers-is-moving-to-florida-and-heres-the-nfl-team-in-the-state-hes-already-being-linked-to/

According to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, who reported in November that Rivers and the Chargers would likely be parting ways, there's "a lot of buzz" about Tampa Bay as a potential landing spot for Rivers, which is intriguing for multiple reasons. 

One reason being, who takes a shot on Jameis Winston......especially if a guy like Bruce "the Quarterback Whisperer" Arians couldn't fix him?

Most Likely:
Colts or Titans.
Long shots:
Saints if Brees retires
Saints I think have been grooming Bridgewater to take over for Brees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

Arians is in win asap mode. He’s probably only got 2-3 years left. So this makes sense. I completely forgot about Tampa when thinking of teams that need a QB.

I just think that Rivers would rather play for Indy or Tennessee...if they wanted him.

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

We'll take Jameison as a back-up .

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Most Likely:

Colts or Titans.

Long shots:

Saints if Brees retires

Tampa Bay?

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m hearing Brady to the Titans if the Chargers or Raiders don’t get him

Maybe. But I still think he'd be a perfect fit for Tennessee. Rivers has never won a SB, let alone gone to one. Tennessee is a SB ready minus the QB. Tannehill sucks. I think the Titans go to the SB next year of they land Rivers.

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Maybe. But I still think he'd be a perfect fit for Tennessee. Rivers has never won a SB, let alone gone to one. Tennessee is a SB ready minus the QB. Tannehill sucks. I think the Titans go to the SB next year of they land Rivers.

I agree one of them is going to the titans on a one year deal

if you did not have to pay their contract who would you pick right now if you are tampas gm, rivers or winston? i know this is crazy but rivers seems washed even tho hes borderline hof.  winston is the most exciting qb in the league other then mahomes and jackson.  every pass is an adventure. rivers does this alot as well but if moneys no issue i think i pick jameis just for the excitement.  dude threw 30 tds and 30 picks lol. thats special. but i am also not a tampa fan

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure why people keep bringing up Tennessee.  Tannehill is their man.

1) He's currently a UFA.

2) The Titans trusted him so much, he only threw 60 total passes over 3 postseason games, for 369 yards (6.2 YPA).  And a lot of those passes/yards were in garbage time against the Chiefs.

He's a dink-and-dunk passer and a very good backup.  Not a franchise guy.  

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) He's currently a UFA.

2) The Titans trusted him so much, he only threw 60 total passes over 3 postseason games, for 369 yards (6.2 YPA).  And a lot of those passes/yards were in garbage time against the Chiefs.

He's a dink-and-dunk passer and a very good backup.  Not a franchise guy.  

I disagree totally, if you are going to dump him for his playoff stats then jimmy G is in the same boat.  The Titans were going exactly no where before he took over and even with limited passing in the playoffs he got some all important early td passes which allowed them to run Henry all game.

He also had good chemistry with their emerging Wr and TE.

I'd be shocked beyond belief if they let him go.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I disagree totally, if you are going to dump him for his playoff stats then jimmy G is in the same boat.  The Titans were going exactly no where before he took over and even with limited passing in the playoffs he got some all important early td passes which allowed them to run Henry all game.

He also had good chemistry with their emerging Wr and TE.

I'd be shocked beyond belief if they let him go.

The playoff stats spoke to a lack of trust in Tannehill by not letting him throw, which you need to do to win a title.  Quite a few QBs out there can manage the game just as well as Tannehill does.  He's Alex Smith.

If they really thought he was their guy, why haven't they extended his contract yet?

I'm not saying its a lock they let him go.  But saying you'd be "shocked beyond belief" if he isn't back?  That's extreme.  At the moment it's up in the air and articles like these speak to that:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ryan-tannehill-says-hed-like-to-return-to-titans-i-feel-like-were-heading-in-the-right-direction/

Ryan Tannehill doesn't know what the future holds when it comes to his next contract. Despite a huge offseason ahead, Tannehill isn't even close to ruling out the Tennessee Titans for his services in free agency. 

If all goes according to plan, Tannehill will be back with the Titans for 2020 and beyond. 

"I'd like for things to line up and I'd like to be back (in Tennessee) if it all gets worked out, but you never know what is going to happen," Tannehill said, via the Titans website. "So you have to try and mentally prepare for that as well, what else can happen. We'll just have to see. But hopefully we can get things worked out and keep building on what we did this year.

https://www.titansonline.com/news/what-s-next-for-titans-qb-ryan-tannehill-rest-recover-and-wait-with-the-super-bo

Now, he once again finds himself with some uncertainty, less than a year after being traded from the Dolphins to the Titans -- his one-year deal with the Titans is up.

Tannehill said he wants to return to Tennessee, but he knows there will be some anxious weeks ahead.

"I think it will work out the way it's supposed to," Tannehill said as he packed his belongings at Camping World Stadium. "There is stress involved – you never know what is going to happen. A lot of things have to happen to get it nailed down. If it doesn't happen then I'll head to free agency and we'll see what happens there. Who knows what is out there on the horizon? I'll just try not to stress out about it and believe that it will work out the way it is supposed to and try and make the best decisions along the way."

37 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

That REALLY helps the Jets in regards to it being more likely that one of the top OTs falls to them with the Chargers having to draft a QB with the 6th pick now.

Well we don't know yet. They could draft a QB at 6. Or they could go for a veteran QB that may shake free and possibly draft an OT or CB in the 1st then take a QB in the 2nd like Love or Eason