Jets Most Important Needs In The Draft.

Hi guys again, I want to hear from you. Beside the Offensive Tackle Position looking at this Jet Roster, what is the 2nd most important position you would go after in the 2nd round and then the first pick in the third. Now we all know most teams if they find someone they are in love with, who fell in the draft, even if this player is not in the top 3 needs they will take him.  Now this is not for their first round selection.  So when looking at this Jet roster and the offensive line free agents we see the Jets number 1 rated lineman Kevin Beachum is a free agent. Looking at his PFF Grade it is a decent 67.1.   Now to judge all pro Ronnie Stanley had an 81.1 grade.   The next best rating was Brandon Shells 63.6 who is also a free agent. Other free agents like Tom Compton...... 50.5, Brett Qvale........54.9, and Alex Lewis 55.0 we can say adios to.  And lets not forget Ryan Kalil comeback to the game terrible rating of 55.5. Retirement maybe well suited for him.   So if we don't sign Beachum this is who we are left with.   Jonathan Harrison...........awful 51.4, Conor Mcdermott..........62.2, Brian Winters..........62.4 and Rookie  Chuma Edoga dreadful 48.9. So Yeah we need to do a face lift or in this case a body lift.  

First for me, I have to evaluate this offensive line coach. Now looking at Mr. Pollack resume it is really impressive. So we just have to just say we have a minute talent in this offensive line.  So we need to get that tackle big time.   So that is our priority Numero Uno in this draft or free agency. Now if you don't sign Beachum you need to do both. Sign a free agent and draft one in this 11 position.   As I said before I only see two clear First Round Grade OT in Thomas and Wirfs.  But Josh Jones is moving up after that Senior Bowl.  I have to see him in the Combine. Now we have seen someone rise like that having a good senior bowl and we drafted him last year. And that was Edoga but Edoga during the season wasn't talked about as much as Jones. But lets get back to the question I ask you Jet Fans. 

What position would you take even if in free agency you do get a player like a Conklin with his 78.0 PFF Grade or a Constanzo and his 81.3 PFF Grade at left tackle.  I would still draft a OT in the first or Wills,Jr. as that blocking guard.  This would be two parts of a puzzle.   So now would you go Guard, Center, Wideout, or even try to get that Edge Rusher in the 2nd.  Or the next best Cornerback.  I like to hear your opinion.

As Always thank you for reading. 

P.S.             I just finished the bowl game again with San Diego St. versus Central Michigan. My focus was on this center I fell in love with in the Senior Bowl......... Keith Ismael. Like I said his practices was fantastic and he had a good game.   So I watched this game and I jotted every play I watched him.  And on every play I gave him either a win, a loss, a draw, or a not involved in the play. So for three quarters he was going against a Central Michigan Team who was 2nd in rushing defense in the MAC Conference. So after jotting the three quarter stats he had 35 wins, 3 total losses- 1 bad loss all game, 8 draws and 15 not involved in that play.  Total Domination.  I will watch him at the combine.  Oh by the way San Diego St. won 48 to 11. Their 2nd string RB got 139 yards rushing and San Diego got 510 total yards with an less than average QB.    

Tony  ???       

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Assumptions:

• They don't move Adams - it was always a pipe dream that another team was going to fork over a 1st and a 3rd (let alone more than this), never mind in March/April, to a player who wants a contract extension right now -- all of which makes it hilarious that some here were scoffing at unrealistic trades no GM will offer us in the first place.
  • We get a taker for Bell (we'll have to kick in some cash, like with Leo). I think it's 50/50, but they'll certainly try.
  • Enunwa isn't playing (definitely isn't reporting until after the season starts unless his brain also got damaged in September)
  • They cut T.Johnson, Winters, Roberts to clear cap room.
  • Neither Harrison nor Edoga are being handed starting jobs.

Then depending on FA, of course, our starter needs list entering this season:

1. LT
  2. RT
  3. C
  4. LG
  5. RG
  6. WR1
  7. WR2
  8. RB1
  9. EDGE/OLB1
  10. EDGE/OLB2
  11. CB1
  12. CB3/NB

Also presumes they're banking on a combination/competition among Austin/Hairston/Canady at one starter slot. If not, add CB2 to the list.

Plus these aren't the "biggest" needs but they are needs so we may as well note:

1. QB2
  2. RB2
  3. K
  4. WR4

So glad we spent all those recent seasons "rebuilding" so we could seriously compete for a superbowl in 2019 and 2020. 

Nicely Stated.  I feel that The Jets will get that one player we can count on in Free Agency IN either Conklin(who may get Franchised), Constanzo, Bulaga at tackle or Scherff or Thuney at guard. Once they do this I see beside getting a OT or Wills,Jr. to play guard you then go get your Wideout in the 2nd and then the Center as the first pick in the third.    

46 minutes ago, jgb said:

Backup QB is #1 or #2, unbelievably.

It's a need more than most will admit.

Sam has played two seasons, and missed 6 games (almost 20% of his career so far).

Now, one was fluky, admittedly (Mono), but his loss cost us 2019 as a season.

We cannot go into 2020 presuming Sam will start and finish all 16 games.  I hope he does, but it's too risky.

We need a solid #2 QB behind him who can start (and win ~50%) if forced to play.

That is not Trevor Siemian. We can do better.

P.S. I'll repeat my manta, I'd rather have a competitor chomping at Sam's ass rather than an old man holding Sam's dick for him.  Competition brings out the best.  Babying brings out the worst.  Make.  Sam.  EARN.  It.   

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sam has played two seasons, and missed 6 games (almost 20% of his career so far).

We cannot go into 2020 presuming Sam will start and finish all 16 games.  I hope he does, but it's too risky.

We need a solid #2 QB behind him who can start (and win ~50%) if forced to play.

P.S. I'll repeat my manta, I'd rather have a competitor chomping at Sam's ass rather than an old man holding Sam's dick for him.  Competition brings out the best.  Babying brings out the worst.  Make.  Sam.  EARN.  It.   

Totally agree. I'd love a guy like Dalton, although he will likely go somewhere with a clearer road to start. Sam has nearly a 0% chance of getting benched so only way to the role is injury. We probably need the best vet we can get who knows he's not a starter anymore and draft a guy in round 4 or 5.

Just a crime how bare Macc left this team. He should never get near a front office again.

• Upvote 3

With a roster this bad backup qb is a need better filled in 2021 when the team can really compete. 

A rookie who can start day 1 at LT is a top 5-10 pick.  The Jets will not get that player.  We need to sign the 2020 LT.  could be Beachum. 

I can see Beachum or Anderson being Transition tagged. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

All day long. Infantalizing him also drives me particularly bonkers. And yall know I am bonkers AF anyhoots...

The whol nonsense about Mr Pine Arse McClown being a great mentor is also pukeworthy. Worst 10 million ever.

Stepped in and went 0-3 and looked like crap. THATS MENTORING???

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

What about a still relatively young vet QB that gives him a rusty trombone?

it's going to be interesting to see how douglas deals getting so many new starters.  realistically he should be able to find 3 starters in the draft.  that means finding another 5 or 6 starters in the current group of reserves or in free agency.  of course these will not all be top tier players.  maybe the jets will sign 2 top free agents.  the hard finds are going to be wr and oline. it should all work out.

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, Harrison was better.  

But this idea that we were "set" at C entering the 2019 season (which many here argued) is simply flawed.  

yep.  harrison was more of a back up but signing kalil wasn't the best use of resources. but so much of the oline is shaped by the m all playing together.  if kalil got a higher pff score maybe it's because he played for a time with winters and osemele at guard.

9 hours ago, varjet said:

With a roster this bad backup qb is a need better filled in 2021 when the team can really compete.

Ah, yes. Except the future is always a year away for Jets fans. When Sam was out, we weren’t even playing a game that resembled football. Can’t develop anyone on that situation. A competent number 2 is a massive need.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think the six games missed is overblown. As you said, last year it was mono. He came back from that, probably not 100%, still demonstrating an ability to move and protect himself behind a weak OL. And the year before, we were discussing his "phantom injury," which came at a time where he was really struggling. He may've been nicked up initially, but those three games were actually more of a benching, IMHO. 

And we have no idea if Trvor Seimian is good enough, being that he got hurt about a half dozen plays into his career as a Jet. 

The Jets don't have a backup QB under contract, so it is technically a need, but considering all the starters this team needs, I'd drop it way, way down on the priority list. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the six games missed is overblown. As you said, last year it was mono. He came back from that, probably not 100%, still demonstrating an ability to move and protect himself behind a weak OL. And the year before, we were discussing his "phantom injury," which came at a time where he was really struggling. He may've been nicked up initially, but those three games were actually more of a benching, IMHO. 

And we have no idea if Trvor Seimian is good enough, being that he got hurt about a half dozen plays into his career as a Jet. 

The Jets don't have a backup QB under contract, so it is technically a need, but considering all the starters this team needs, I'd drop it way, way down on the priority list. 

Exactly. The Packers backup to Rogers is Tim Boyle...who?

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, Harrison was better.  

But this idea that we were "set" at C entering the 2019 season (which many here argued) is simply flawed.  

I think it's more like as far as all the holes on the O-line C is the least to worry about. Harrison is not great but he is a capable starter. We're not "set" at C but we don't need to draft a C early or sign a high priced C in Free Agency out of desperation. We need to draft a developmental C in the later rounds to compete behind Harrison while he is still under contract. 

And I say this, in most part, because the Jets currently have no starting LT, RT (I have no faith in Chuma coming off injury to start), LG or RG (assuming we cut Winters- which we kind of have to for cap space). 

So talking about C as any kind of major need while we have a capable starter under a cheap contract and no other starters on the O-line doesn't make sense to me. Maybe once we bring back Beachum, sign Conklin and Glasgow and are going into the draft, we can look at C as a bigger need.    

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I think it's more like as far as all the holes on the O-line C is the least to worry about. Harrison is not great but he is a capable starter. We're not "set" at C but we don't need to draft a C early or sign a high priced C in Free Agency out of desperation. We need to draft a developmental C in the later rounds to compete behind Harrison while he is still under contract. 

And I say this, in most part, because the Jets currently have no starting LT, RT (I have no faith in Chuma coming off injury to start), LG or RG (assuming we cut Winters- which we kind of have to for cap space). 

So talking about C as any kind of major need while we have a capable starter under a cheap contract and no other starters on the O-line doesn't make sense to me. Maybe once we bring back Beachum, sign Conklin and Glasgow and are going into the draft, we can look at C as a bigger need.    

I'll agree with this.  Of our needs on OL, Center is the lowest concern.  But we'll still likely need to burn a pick SOMEWHERE on the Center position.  It would make little sense to rely on free agency to fill that need.  

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll agree with this.  Of our needs on OL, Center is the lowest concern.  But we'll still likely need to burn a pick SOMEWHERE on the Center position.  It would make little sense to rely on free agency to fill that need.  

Would totally disagree. Any of the guys who played G last year are infinitely better than Harrison. Other than LT, C is by far the most important part of any O line. Ours have stunk since Nick retired.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would totally disagree. Any of the guys who played G last year are infinitely better than Harrison. Other than LT, C is by far the most important part of any O line. Ours have stunk since Nick retired.

Yes but C is also the easiest to find.  So I'm not worried about finding one as long as we are smart enough to use a pick there.

Macc refused to do that and instead relied on Wesley Johnson and a castoff like Spencer Long.  

• Upvote 1

Connor Hughes has an interesting take that since the Jets basically see Chuma as the next RT, they will probably go Edge Rusher with the first two picks because he's forecasted that all the best OL prospects at those spots will be gone.  I hate this possible eventuality more than I hate cooked beets.  F__ that.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Exactly. The Packers backup to Rogers is Tim Boyle...who?

Rodgers played 16 and 16 games the past two years.

Of his 12 years as a starter, he's played 15 or 16 games in 10 of those years.

And he's Aaron Rodgers.  Sam Darnold is not Aaron Rodgers.

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Connor Hughes has an interesting take that since the Jets basically see Chuma as the next RT, they will probably go Edge Rusher with the first two picks because he's forecasted that all the best OL prospects at those spots will be gone.  I hate this possible eventuality more than I hate cooked beets.  F__ that.

Connor Hughes is a penis

• Haha 1