OT: Knicks fire Mills

Celebrate baby!

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/02/report-knicks-fire-team-president-steve-mills/

It’s been known for some time that Mills was on the chopping block. This move also seems to indicate that the firing of general manager Scott Perry is imminent. Embattled owner James Dolan is once again looking to change direction mid stream.

Mills was brought on by the Knicks back in 2013 to serve as their executive VP and general manager. He was promoted to president once Perry was hired back in 2017.

Since hiring Mills, the Knicks have failed to earn a single playoff appearance. In fact, they have lost 50-plus games each of the past five seasons and currently boast a 15-36 record.

16 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

About time.  I actually like Perry but Mills has no idea what he is doing 

I also like interim coach Miller.   We just beat the Pacers and have a few close games.  The good things is that we will have cap space.

We need to trade Randle instead of Morris, but we could probably get a 1st round pick for Morris. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

I also like interim coach Mills.   We just beat the Pacers and have a few close games.  The good things is that we will have cap space.

We need to trade Randle instead of Morris, but we could probably get a 1st round pick for Morris. 

Coach is Miller not Mills. but I hear you, I like him too but want Mark Jackson or Jeff VanGundy next year.

THANK YOU JESUS, maybe there is hope after all. Mills and Perry aka Beavis and Butthead both needed to go. We need a real BB man running things. The Rangers have had success with Dolan as owner, the Knicks can as well, Dolan just has to hire a real BB man and let him control all facets of the organization.

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Coach is Miller not Mills. but I hear you, I like him too but want Mark Jackson or Jeff VanGundy next year.

THANK YOU JESUS, maybe there is hope after all. Mills and Perry aka Beavis and Butthead both needed to go. We need a real BB man running things. The Rangers have had success with Dolan as owner, the Knicks can as well, Dolan just has to hire a real BB man and let him control all facets of the organization.

Thanks for correcting.  I loved Van Gundy back in the days but would love someone younger coach or Becky Hammon from the Spurs. 

7 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Knicks need to get Masai Ujiri from toronto

He would have to have full autonomy to do whatever he wanted to.  Are the Knicks the type that will just hand everything to him? 

He would be a great hire that is for sure, he has a rare eye for talent.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He would have to have full autonomy to do whatever he wanted to.  Are the Knicks the type that will just hand everything to him? 

He would be a great hire that is for sure, he has a rare eye for talent.

I hope they will. Dolan's been trying to get Ujiri here for years. They would have to compensate Toronto if they want him, because he's under contract for another year. That's why I'd trade Morris for a first and send it to Toronto for Ujiri

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I hope they will. Dolan's been trying to get Ujiri here for years. They would have to compensate Toronto if they want him, because he's under contract for another year. That's why I'd trade Morris for a first and send it to Toronto for Ujiri

Morris and a first is not gonna get it done... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Celebrate baby!

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/02/report-knicks-fire-team-president-steve-mills/

It’s been known for some time that Mills was on the chopping block. This move also seems to indicate that the firing of general manager Scott Perry is imminent. Embattled owner James Dolan is once again looking to change direction mid stream.

Mills was brought on by the Knicks back in 2013 to serve as their executive VP and general manager. He was promoted to president once Perry was hired back in 2017.

Since hiring Mills, the Knicks have failed to earn a single playoff appearance. In fact, they have lost 50-plus games each of the past five seasons and currently boast a 15-36 record.

They have Dolan and we have the Johnsons.  

12 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I don't follow hockey.  But the Knicks have been making mistake after mistake under his ownership, under a series of GMs.

nyr.jpg

I don't follow basketball.  But the Rangers have been making great decisions and great progress the last 11 years under Dolan's ownership.  Even our rebuild is ahead of schedule, we're the youngest team in the NHL and might actually make the playoffs, quite an accomplishment.

Owners don't do much.  Dolan got Glenn Sather and it set us on the positive course the Rangers are on right now.  Dolan got Phil Jackson to take the Knicks back to the playoffs and it destroyed everything.  The credit/blame goes on the team Presidents not the owner, no?  Owner is a rich guy, the Presidents are the ones who are experts and are expected to do the job.

SAR I

Mills is a gentleman and a genuinely nice guy.  Great family.  That said, I was shocked when they brought him back again.  He played at Princeton, but was always seemed more business than basketball.  That being said, Layden certainly seemed to feel that Mills stabbed him in the back.  The Laydens were great too.  Too bad they didn't have any success with the Knicks.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

nyr.jpg

I don't follow basketball.  But the Rangers have been making great decisions and great progress the last 11 years under Dolan's ownership.  Even our rebuild is ahead of schedule, we're the youngest team in the NHL and might actually make the playoffs, quite an accomplishment.

Owners don't do much.  Dolan got Glenn Sather and it set us on the positive course the Rangers are on right now.  Dolan got Phil Jackson to take the Knicks back to the playoffs and it destroyed everything.  The credit/blame goes on the team Presidents not the owner, no?  Owner is a rich guy, the Presidents are the ones who are experts and are expected to do the job.

SAR I

Dolan couldn't care less about hockey.  That is what makes him a good owner.  He gives the money to the people to run the business the way it should.  Basketball is his baby, he gets too involved and trusts the wrong people. It is well known he too involved with the basketball side and why it has failed for so long.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Dolan couldn't care less about hockey.  That is what makes him a good owner.  He gives the money to the people to run the business the way it should.  Basketball is his baby, he gets too involved and trusts the wrong people. It is well known he too involved with the basketball side and why it has failed for so long.

I don't know anything about the Knicks so I believe you.  But do you really think that Dolan was pushing Phil Jackson's buttons?  Doesn't seem to me to be the type to take orders from anyone.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't know anything about the Knicks so I believe you.  But do you really think that Dolan was pushing Phil Jackson's buttons?  Doesn't seem to me to be the type to take orders from anyone.

SAR I

He was in the room helping make decisions with Mills and Jackson... Mills has been through many regime changes... It is long overdue that he was fired. Free Agents even talk about how they won't go to the Knicks because Dolan is too involved.  Dolan forced Donnie Walsh to trade for Melo, among many other mistakes.

• Upvote 2