Joe Flacco as the backup in 2020?

I think he's a viable target if the Broncos release him. Sam Darnold would have a Super Bowl MVP as a mentor. Joe Flacco has already been quoted as saying he'll go the backup route next season. If Flacco's cleared to play in 2020, and the Broncos release him to save cap space, I think Joe Douglas will target Flacco in free agency to be the Jets backup quarterback in 2020. Jets GM Joe Douglas actually discovered Flacco at Delaware while working as the Ravens Northeast area scout. The two Joe's have history.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

I'm just hoping for someone more competent than Al Bundy at backup QB this year.

Last years backup QB situation while Darnold was out was gross negligence and a knock on Douglass & Gase IMO. No way in hell we should have been marching out the incompetent Luke Falk to start NFL games after Siemian went down. Falk probably wouldn't start in the XFL. You just have to do better than that.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Last years backup QB situation while Darnold was out was gross negligence and a knock on Douglass & Gase IMO. No way in hell we should have been marching out the incompetent Luke Falk to start NFL games after Siemian went down. Falk probably wouldn't start in the XFL. You just have to do better than that.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

You seem confused Barry, let me help you.

Quoting without comment on an internet forum is a way of showing agreement with a sentiment in a way that does not need or require additional comment.

When I quoted your post, I was displaying my agreement with your point.  I did not feel I needed to add any additional comment to it, or expand it in any way, as I felt it could stand on it's own.

It's the same as when someone quotes you and says "+1", just without the +1 meme.

I hope that helps clarify for you.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think he's a viable target if the Broncos release him. Sam Darnold would have a Super Bowl MVP as a mentor. Joe Flacco has already been quoted as saying he'll go the backup route next season. If Flacco's cleared to play in 2020, and the Broncos release him to save cap space, I think Joe Douglas will target Flacco in free agency to be the Jets backup quarterback in 2020. Jets GM Joe Douglas actually discovered Flacco at Delaware while working as the Ravens Northeast area scout. The two Joe's have history.

I'd think Flacco still wants to start, and will want pretty big money still.

So, I respectfully disagree.

38 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm just hoping for someone more competent than Al Bundy at backup QB this year.

Polk High!!! Four Touchdowns in one game.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope.  I'd set the cap we should spend on the backup QB spot as no more than $4M.  There's no real sense in bringing in a "high-end" backup behind Darnold. 

The only time to spend big on your backup QB are the following 2 scenarios:

1. If evidence piles up that he's definitely NOT the guy, and we want to bring in a vet to compete, like the Tannehill/Mariota situation in Tennessee this past season.  
  2.  We're a true contending team with a QB who tends to miss games here and there, like the Saints with Brees/Bridgewater.  

I'd rather spend about $5M and get someone who can be a viable starter should (heaven forbid) Darnold not be available to play. Sam Darnold is 12 years 4 months and 20 days younger than Joe Flacco, who recently turned 35 years of age this past January 16th. Reading the tea leaves I believe Joe Douglas is eyeing Joe Flacco as the Jets backup quarterback. Another option is Matt Moore, but I believe he's going to re-sign with the Chiefs. If not I'd have no problems with Matt Moore backing up Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'd rather spend about $5M and get someone who can be a viable starter should (heaven forbid) Darnold not be available to play. Sam Darnold is 12 years 4 months and 20 days younger than Joe Flacco, who recently turned 35 years of age this past January 16th. Reading the tea leaves I believe Joe Douglas is eyeing Joe Flacco as the Jets backup quarterback. Another option is Matt Moore, but I believe he's going to re-sign with the Chiefs. If not I'd have no problems with Matt Moore backing up Darnold. 

No chance in the world Flacco would only accept $5M.  High end backups typically go for $8M or more.  

Matt Moore would be a good one.  He only made $2.6M over the last 2 years so he'd come at a good price too.

Nate Sudfeld (Eagles FA) would make the most logical sense to at least bring in for a look though, given that Douglas was in Philly when they drafted him in the 6th round.  

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'd think Flacco still wants to start, and will want pretty big money still.

So, I respectfully disagree.

He's ok with being a backup next season.

With his career on the ropes once again, Broncos’ Joe Flacco is open to options

After going 2-6 as the Broncos’ starting quarterback this year, Flacco was placed on season-ending injured reserve on Nov. 1

Joe Flacco won’t say it outright, but he knows he’s in prove-it mode once again.

After being replaced by Lamar Jackson in Baltimore during the 2018 season, Flacco was traded to Denver in the offseason. But another injury-shortened year led to him being supplanted again, as the Broncos are set on Drew Lock as the team’s No. 1 quarterback heading into 2020.

So, Flacco is ready to do whatever is necessary to keep a job, even if that means being a backup to Lock or someone else in 2020. The 34-year-old is under contract with Denver through 2021.

“If that’s what it has to be — (a backup) whether here or wherever — I want to play football,” Flacco said Monday. “If that’s what it has to take for me to get back in and start playing again, then yeah, I’d go that route.”

First, though, there’s the issue of his injury. After going 2-6 as a starter with a 85.1 rating, Flacco was placed on season-ending injured reserve Nov. 1 with a herniated disc in his neck. Flacco said he’s been working out with no effects from the injury, and will have another MRI after the Super Bowl to determine if surgery is needed. Regardless, his aim is to be ready for the 2020 season.

“I don’t have any residual effect from the actual injury,” Flacco said. “I don’t know if that makes it better or worse — in one sense, it’s nice I’m not walking around in pain, but in the other sense it’s annoying that I feel pretty normal but I can’t play.

“The plan is to get better and figure out a little bit more about what’s going on. I’m going to get another MRI and then make some decisions from there in about a month, month and a half. At this point, I’m optimistic about getting better.”

But Flacco’s health could be a moot point for the Broncos, who feel they have found their quarterback of the future in Lock.

• Upvote 1

He's ok with being a backup next season.

Yes but that doesn't mean he'll come cheap.  He'll be one of the 2 or 3 highest-paid backup QB's in the league next year behind probably Jameis Winston. 

We don't need to be spending that kind of coin on the backup QB slot.  And what's more, why would those guys want to come here if they have options?  Why not go some place where they might be able to compete for a starting gig?  Like Miami, Cincinnati or LA (Chargers), for instance?

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No chance in the world Flacco would only accept $5M.  High end backups typically go for $8M or more.  

Matt Moore would be a good one.  He only made $2.6M over the last 2 years so he'd come at a good price too.

Nate Sudfeld (Eagles FA) would make the most logical sense to at least bring in for a look though, given that Douglas was in Philly when they drafted him in the 6th round.  

He's not getting more than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Book it.

• Upvote 1

2 years 13 million as he enters his 13th season? Take it or leave it.

He'd be able to leave it and get more elsewhere AND a chance to compete for starting duties.  Pretty simple.  The market has been fairly well established for high-end backup QB's.  Keenum, Bridgewater and Tannehill all made $7-7.5M per this past season.