Jets sign CB Pierre Desir

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Takes a lot of the pressure off by having to fill specific positions in the draft.  Now he doesnt have to reach for OL help while a top WR is sitting at a draft slot

How would you feel if we took the Florida CB at #11?

I don’t know anything about him but 3 NFL Network mocks last week had him coming here, so I’ll assume he’s an elite prospect. Using that high of a pick on a WR scares me, and there will be plenty of them available later. Same with OL.

Looking at our depth chart, I think I’d be okay with going CB there.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What I saw from Sam in college and in his short time as a pro, I think he can be our long term Franchise QB. Other than “seeing ghosts” that one game, that kid was running for his life game after game and never once complained. Strong arm on the run, who keeps his eyes downfield when plays collapse. Get him a running game, 4 seconds in the pocket and an outside weapon. He’ll be fine. 

Agreed. His confidence got crushed a bit coming back from Mono & playing behind just terrible lineman. Love how he bounced back when we got some semblance of stability with the Oline to end the season.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What I saw from Sam in college and in his short time as a pro, I think he can be our long term Franchise QB. 

Get him a running game, 4 seconds in the pocket and an outside weapon. He’ll be fine. 

I would hope so, I think most QBs would be fine in that situation. No?

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

From my Slow & Steady thread that 8 people responded to because they weren't happy with JDs approach to free agency:

"Who knows what we have in Sam, but let's keep building towards something hopefully with some prudent signings & some great drafts with JD in charge." 

Prudent signings, when is the last time we said that? Oline & CB bodies without breaking the bank or handing out any long term contracts. Setting up a competitive system of best players play. Kept just enough guys that know the system, others who benefit from the system & is still adding special teamers. I think what your also seeing is that JD is a great recruiter which we needed so badly. He's the Anti Macc. Can u imagine the discussions Douglas has had talking X & Os with these lineman? This isn't a WHO THE F*CK knows what we run GM. Come here & you'll get a CHANCE to compete & EARN a contract.

And JD has proven that, resigning Lewis, Hewitt, Maulet, Griffin, Brown, 5 guys that clearly busted their tails for the Jets last year. 

Draft can't come fast enough for me. 

Great post dude.

one of the big fears going into this FA period was who was going to make this place attractive to FA's or recruit them? Also that we would have to pay the "Jets Tax" and overpay guys just to consider coming to this abyss.  That seemingly has not been an issue. We even have a somewhat larger haul than usual this early in the game. The knock is that we did not land the bigger named FA's such as Conklin, but from what I read that was purely $ over not wanting to come here. Going to Cleveland can't be much are attractive if at all even with the dream team they've compiled over there. JD just wasn't budging on his perceived value of a player/position. 

I think you are right to say that JD probably got into quite a bit of X's and o's with these guys and that has to be cool to do. Most Gm's weren't players so that's a wrinkle we now have going on. If the plan starts to pay dividends and we begin to win some games that will play nicely into what JD brings to the table. 

Times just may be a changin'   Now this Gase character... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

How would you feel if we took the Florida CB at #11?

I don’t know anything about him but 3 NFL Network mocks last week had him coming here, so I’ll assume he’s an elite prospect. Using that high of a pick on a WR scares me, and there will be plenty of them available later. Same with OL.

Looking at our depth chart, I think I’d be okay with going CB there.

I said I'd take Henderson at 11 before this signing 14.  I like his potential to change our pass D, which damn he numbers I didn't ever trust a year ago.  Keeping games closer and the offense from constantly playing catchup will take tons of pressure off of Sam and the passing game.  Helps Sam and the running game 

Desir, Henderson with Blessed in the dime sounds good to me

JD has left a lot of options available to him at 11 with the FA signings addressing more than a few spots 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yup, they just cut Roberts, which is great news. And when you factor in Adams and Maye this is a very solid secondary. In fact. Bless in year 2 could potentially be the best of the CB group.  

Bless got thrown into the fire with no camp practice too. Hard enough being a rookie, let alone coming out of college injured. I think he's going to be Maccs needle in a haystack, pin the tail on the CB, absolutely shot in the dark luck his ass off draft pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I would hope so, I think most QBs would be fine in that situation. No?

No. Marriota didn’t fare well or Tannehill or Sanchez during his time, or a number of others. I saw Sam in that Rose Bowl against PSU carry that team on his back. I think he can be that guy with the Jets. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

No. Marriota didn’t fare well or Tannehill or Sanchez during his time, or a number of others. I saw Sam in that Rose Bowl against PSU carry that team on his back. I think he can be that guy with the Jets. 

Not looking to argue here, but if you basing your hopes on a Rose Bowl 4 years ago, I’ll see your Rose Bowl, and raise you Marriota’s Heisman. Their college days are long over.

This is a big year for guys like Darnold, Mayfield and Allen. Three years in, and now it’s time for them to show out. 

That said, back to CBs...?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

We have a net gain of $ .5 mil by upgrading from Roberts to Desir. Not F'in bad! 

It says "up to" which means it's got some incentives.  I bet the cap number is near $3 million with a chance to go up to $5.5. That extra $2.5 million, if incentives were reached, go on to next years cap. So it's probably near half of what Roberts was getting paid

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Someone would absolutely be willing to take a shot on a guy who played through injuries like he has.

Why, exactly? He played like sh!t...healthy or unhealthy, the guy is garbage and I'm to put $50 that nobody gives a crap about him playing through injuries.

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Not looking to argue here, but if you basing your hopes on a Rose Bowl 4 years ago, I’ll see your Rose Bowl, and raise you Marriota’s Heisman. Their college days are long over.

This is a big year for guys like Darnold, Mayfield and Allen. Three years in, and now it’s time for them to show out. 

Mariota has proven hes not the kind of QB the Heisman gave people hope for.

Darnold still is a young QB who hasn't disproved his sophomore season hype.  

Darnold was the more complete NFL QB prospect without the help of a loaded Oregon team that ran a system to the tee

Winning the Heisman has never been an indicator of NFL success.  Otherwise Tebow would be an established NFL QB not a low level scrub in the Mets minor league system, hanging on to dear life 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

That said, back to CBs...?

3 years ago. Jan. ‘17