Report: Jets Talking to Falcons About Trade Down

JetNation

12 hours ago, slats said:

The feeling I get is that Jeudy is the safest pick, but that Lamb and Ruggs both have higher ceilings. So it comes down to wanting the steadiness of a Reggie Wayne, or the potential of an OBJ without the crazy. 

This wr draft class looks even better than ‘14

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wanting the highest pick possible in a lost season does not mean being opposed to trading down. What an absurd argument.

Many times on this board, when a season is headed in a tough direction, I’ve hoped we’d tank properly, then trade down to a QB-needy team for three 1st rounders. Dream scenario if your team sucks.

You got exposed man. Want it Both ways, when your jaded usually around week 3 and want to tank it’s all about getting the highest pick. Now you don’t care about getting a later pick for what a 2nd rounder? Shall I go over all our glorious 2nd round picks 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:36 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Douglas seems to be a guy that knows what he’s doing, or at least has a plan. It shows how terrible Maccagnan and Idzik was previously.

Not disagreeing about idzik or macagnan, but what has Douglas shown. What is his plan? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

Not disagreeing about idzik or macagnan, but what has Douglas shown. What is his plan? 

Joe is filling the roster with cheap free agents. He’s not over paying, and he’s not getting tied into bad long term contracts. ie Trumaine Johnson.

I like he’s resigned some very solid guys on prove it deals, like Jordan Jenkins, and brought in a lot of guys to bolster the Oline. The real test is can he draft, he’s filling gaps in the roster, but leaving us a lot of flexibility to trade down in the draft if needed.

He seems to have a much greater idea of what he’s doing, unlike the last few clowns we’ve had in here. He genuinely seems to have a plan, getting an Ozzie Newsome apprentice may pay off?

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2020 at 1:49 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Joe is filling the roster with cheap free agents. He’s not over paying, and he’s not getting tied into bad long term contracts. ie Trumaine Johnson.

I like he’s resigned some very solid guys on prove it deals, like Jordan Jenkins, and brought in a lot of guys to bolster the Oline. The real test is can he draft, he’s filling gaps in the roster, but leaving us a lot of flexibility to trade down in the draft if needed.

He seems to have a much greater idea of what he’s doing, unlike the last few clowns we’ve had in here. He genuinely seems to have a plan, getting an Ozzie Newsome apprentice may pay off?

These are good tactical moves. I’m not seeing the plan. 

• WTF? 2

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

These are good tactical moves. I’m not seeing the plan. 

Tactical moves would imply the plan, no?  It's simple.  He's overturning the roster and re-allocating resources towards positions that matter.  The plan that some here wanted - signing a bunch of big FA's so we can go "all in" on 2020 - would have been silly when we don't have the premium positions filled with adequate talent.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tactical moves would imply the plan, no?  It's simple.  He's overturning the roster and re-allocating resources towards positions that matter.  The plan that some here wanted - signing a bunch of big FA's so we can go "all in" on 2020 - would have been silly when we don't have the premium positions filled with adequate talent.

Absolutely.  What I find ironic is that the people last year who were upset for spending so much money on Mosley and Bell are the same people pissed that we didn’t do that this offseason ? 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jets723 said:

Absolutely.  What I find ironic is that the people last year who were upset for spending so much money on Mosley and Bell are the same people pissed that we didn’t do that this offseason ? 

There's no plan man!  Where are the GOOD players???

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

The Lions have talked with other clubs about potentially trading back from the No. 3 overall pick in the draft, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter) hears. The teams that want to move up “have been receptive,” Rapoport writes, so a trade could happen between now and when everyone logs on to the virtual podium.

I would say that's money in the bank unless Chase Young is there.

Everyone seems pretty convinced that the Redskins will select Chase Young with the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft. In fact, no teams picking below the Lions at No. 3 have even bothered to contact the Ohio State sack machine. Young-to-D.C. remains the most likely outcome, but Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter) hears that Redskins head coach Ron Rivera is a big fan of Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa

On 4/8/2020 at 12:18 AM, Xtina said:

I mean he hasn’t even had his first draft yet.  Gotta give him a chance.  I liked what he did in Free Overall.  I mean it wasn’t a great free agent class anyway but at least he didn’t tie us down with more bloated contracts like past GMs

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Xtina said:

No. Strategic moves would imply the plan. 

So that's the difference between tactics and strategy?  Good to know.  

Well I did lay out what I think his plan is.  If he drafts even at "average GM" levels, it can play out nicely.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Saw this quote from the ravens GM. Douglas was raised in that system. Can definitely seeing him trading down in the draft. 

Yep.  You really have to nail the pick (like when we moved up for Revis) to make it worth it.  Not having a lot of middle round picks is how you end up with a very top-heavy roster.  Or, if you miss on those picks when you trade up, end up with a sh*tty roster altogether.

True, Macc only traded up once.  But it was just as damaging when he failed to trade down when opportunities presented themselves.  Most notably last year.  Taking 75 or even 50 cents on the dollar to move down would have been 100x better than sticking and picking, especially making the pick we made.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

The Lions have talked with other clubs about potentially trading back from the No. 3 overall pick in the draft, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter) hears. The teams that want to move up “have been receptive,” Rapoport writes, so a trade could happen between now and when everyone logs on to the virtual podium.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I would say that's money in the bank unless Chase Young is there.

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

I’m assuming someone who wants one of the QBs wanting to jump miami and LA 

My money is on the Chargers moving up to 3 for Tua.

Chargers need to make a huge splash, they need fan support in LA and they need someone who is going to move the needle and sell tickets.

Whether or not Tua is going to be a "franchise" QB in the NFL can be debated, but he's about as big of a name as you're going to get in this draft.

1 Bengals - Burrough (sp?)

2 Skins - Chase Young

3 Chargers Trade and draft Tua

That's my mock

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Saw this quote from the ravens GM. Douglas was raised in that system. Can definitely seeing him trading down in the draft. 

Agreed.  I do think think teams are more hesitant to trade up unless it’s for a certain player they desperately want.  Even last year.  Look I’m not defending Macc AT ALL but I do believe there wasn’t a great offer to move up.  Not just with us but a lot of if teams in the top 10.  Now I do think teams might be more willing to trade from like 14-15 to 11 because it wont cost a ton(probably a 3rd) but it had to be a specific player like a Jeudy/Lamb 

Generally I agree that trading down to acquire picks is the best strategy. However, in this draft the jets should start put in round 1. There are 4 quality tackles in this draft and one of them should fall in the jets lap. If not, either lamb or jeudy would be great additions. No need to get cute.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

Generally I agree that trading down to acquire picks is the best strategy. However, in this draft the jets should start put in round 1. There are 4 quality tackles in this draft and one of them should fall in the jets lap. If not, either lamb or jeudy would be great additions. No need to get cute.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I’m fine with staying put.  The furthest I would drop is 15

59 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

My money is on the Chargers moving up to 3 for Tua.

Chargers need to make a huge splash, they need fan support in LA and they need someone who is going to move the needle and sell tickets.

Whether or not Tua is going to be a "franchise" QB in the NFL can be debated, but he's about as big of a name as you're going to get in this draft.

1 Bengals - Burrough (sp?)

2 Skins - Chase Young

3 Chargers Trade and draft Tua

That's my mock

I have seen a couple interviews with Rivera and I am convinced Rivera wants his guy and sees how it was successful in Arizona. Redskins are going to select Tua which will likely mean something like this:

1. Cinci-Burrow

2.. Washington -Tua

3. trade (Dolphins or Chargers) Herbert

4 Giants Young

5 Detroit Brown Dolphins Simmons or Okudah

6 Detroit Brown Chargers (Love, Hurts possibly OT)

39 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I’m fine with staying put.  The furthest I would drop is 15

Yea, I agree too. I think  Douglas is going to trade down in the later rounds.   Curious to see how he navigates through his first draft.  Scouting is part of, but being able to trade down and accumulate draft picks is major part of it. I still to this day can't believe Izdik sat on those 12 picks and didn't trade any of them way for future draft picks.... 

57 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have seen a couple interviews with Rivera and I am convinced Rivera wants his guy and sees how it was successful in Arizona. Redskins are going to select Tua which will likely mean something like this:

1. Cinci-Burrow

2.. Washington -Tua

3. trade (Dolphins or Chargers) Herbert

4 Giants Young

5 Detroit Brown Dolphins Simmons or Okudah

6 Detroit Brown Chargers (Love, Hurts possibly OT)

I’m all for tua to the skins, but I’d hope lions take young. Rather not see young with the giants 

On 4/5/2020 at 4:36 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Douglas seems to be a guy that knows what he’s doing, or at least has a plan. It shows how terrible Maccagnan and Idzik was previously.

I hope this is the case... But i keep hearing people say this...   hope aside, what has this guy done to make you feel he has this "plan" or that he "knows what hes doing? "

He did drag Khalil outta retirement and started him over a better player....  

On 4/10/2020 at 2:44 AM, Jet hustle said:

I hope this is the case... But i keep hearing people say this...   hope aside, what has this guy done to make you feel he has this "plan" or that he "knows what hes doing? "

He did drag Khalil outta retirement and started him over a better player....  

Well he’s filling holes in the roster with low price players. He’s not blowing the cap on high priced players that typically bust like T Johnson.

I think Jenkins and Poole in particularly are great signings, at $5 mill per, for an 8 sack guy, and the top slot corner in the league. He’s also bolstered the Oline with a multitude of players including a young and very good Center/Guard in Mcgovern.

The Jets cap is one of the best in the league, leaving lots of options for this and next season. Considering the sh*te show he was left from the previous clown Maccagnan. Joe seems to be filling holes without blowing his cap on high priced junk, he’s also leaving himself options in the Draft to move down. gathering more talent, in a deep Oline and receiver draft.

So in a brief summary Joe’s  plan.

Fill holes with cheap F.A players.

Protect the cap for now and the future.

Leave flexibly to trade down, add talent through the draft. (Already traded Leo for an early 3rd).

Maccagan 

Draft BPA don’t move down, BPA is a bust.

Pay for high price F.A’s who bust.

Yeah he’s got a plan, let’s see if he can draft?

Rapoport is among many in the last few days sharing this opinion on Atlanta.  Will it be with the Jets?  Hard to say, but I get the feeling it's a very real possibility the Jets could be a dance partner.

As I'm sure others have suggested, if this was the case, I imagine Jason Peters or Trent Williams would then get string consideration as OT likely wouldn't be the pick at 16.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Rapoport is among many in the last few days sharing this opinion on Atlanta.  Will it be with the Jets?  Hard to say, but I get the feeling it's a very real possibility the Jets could be a dance partner.

As I'm sure others have suggested, if this was the case, I imagine Jason Peters or Trent Williams would then get string consideration as OT likely wouldn't be the pick at 16.

Let’s say the jets get a 3 and a 4 to move back to 16.  Let’s also assume that by the time the jets would pick at 16, the ‘top 3’ wrs and ‘top 4’ OTs are gone.  Who are the jets deciding among?  Jefferson, jackson and jones?  Josh jones + a 3rd and 4th better than Andrew Thomas at 11?  Is Justin Jefferson + a 3rd and a 4th better than jeudy or lamb at 11?  These are the questions here.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Unless JD has josh jones rated up there with the others, or even Cleveland/jackson(which I doubt).  He could easily snag Mr Jones at 16, while picking up an extra third(?) I think.  As much as taking one of the Top 3 WRs might be tempting, there is tons of talent at WR in the 2/3 rds.  Plenty of superstar WRs in the league were not drafted in rd 1.  I hope we take a tackle at 11, but if we were to draft Jeudy, I wouldn’t be mad at all.  I would trust that JD has done a good job of researching the OL talent, coming from two prior organizations with good OLs, and being an Ex OL himself.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Let’s say the jets get a 3 and a 4 to move back to 16.  Let’s also assume that by the time the jets would pick at 16, the ‘top 3’ wrs and ‘top 4’ OTs are gone.  Who are the jets deciding among?  Jefferson, jackson and jones?  Josh jones + a 3rd and 4th better than Andrew Thomas at 11?  Is Justin Jefferson + a 3rd and a 4th better than jeudy or lamb at 11?  These are the questions here.

I agree, very difficult decisions.  The one thing I'm not 100% sure though is that all 7(4 OT and 3 WR) would be gone at 16.  I think there is a chance(how much not sure) that one of the big 3 receivers is still there.

At #11 we will probably have a shot at Thomas or maybe one of the other top-4 OTs.

At #16 those four are most likely gone and you're now looking at Austin Jackson, Josh Jones or maybe Ezra Cleveland.  

I can't say how much drop-off, if any, there is between those groupings, but this is not a 'slide down a few spots and take the guy you wanted anyway' situation.  I'm assuming ATL is targeting defense and may be looking to grab Simmons or Okudah if they drop, or make sure they get Henderson or Chaisson, which moving up 5 spots would be very helpful for.  

Subjectively, I think I wouldn't even touch that trade unless it included at the least, ATLs 2nd rounder #47.  But if it's Simmons or Okudah that fell to #11, I think the price goes up and becomes comparable to our Darnold trade.  I'd ask for #47 and their 2nd rounder in 2021.

Honestly, I think I'd rather take Thomas than make that trade, but if the price jacks up enough because of one of those two guys, I could dig it.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

At #11 we will probably have a shot at Thomas or maybe one of the other top-4 OTs.

At #16 those four are most likely gone and you're now looking at Austin Jackson, Josh Jones or maybe Ezra Cleveland.  

I can't say how much drop-off, if any, there is between those groupings, but this is not a 'slide down a few spots and take the guy you wanted anyway' situation.  I'm assuming ATL is targeting defense and may be looking to grab Simmons or Okudah if they drop, or make sure they get Henderson or Chaisson, which moving up 5 spots would be very helpful for.  

Subjectively, I think I wouldn't even touch that trade unless it included at the least, ATLs 2nd rounder #47.  But if it's Simmons or Okudah that fell to #11, I think the price goes up and becomes comparable to our Darnold trade.  I'd ask for #47 and their 2nd rounder in 2021.

Honestly, I think I'd rather take Thomas than make that trade, but if the price jacks up enough because of one of those two guys, I could dig it.

Yeah the furthest I would drop is 15 but I’m hesitant to do so unless we get an offer that’s hard to say no to.  I do want more picks but not at the cost of losing out on a impact talent