Report: Jets Talking to Falcons About Trade Down

JetNation

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I love the idea but the dead cap hit for Quinnen is brutal. We actually lose an additional $9m in cap space this year if we trade Quinnen. Not to mention we probably lose value from the gun situation. 

I would still make this move if possible though.

#11 - 1,250 points

#16 - 1,000 points - they'd have to throw in a 3rd and 4th to balance it out or perhaps we can throw in a pick that pushes the value higher and receive a 2nd round pick instead.

Take your losses. One thing I like what the Brows have down despite their miserable failure is, they don't sit on their proverbial butts - wash and rinse.

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Take your losses. One thing I like what the Brows have down despite their miserable failure is, they don't sit on their proverbial butts - wash and rinse.

I don’t think we should give up on Williams.  Yes I know he didn’t have a monster rookie year but he wasn’t bad either.  I do think injuries played a part in it.  The kid is still very talented.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Draft point charts are laughable, at best they're a poor man's tool for roughly gauging value. There are a variety of variables which must be considered as opposed to simply adding and subtracting chart values. Plus, the person who made the chart (there isn't just one value chart) could have been cognitively challenged as many in the world of sports are.

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Serviceable is a better description. Remember he’s going into yr. 2. I hope to see a big jump this year. 

Keeping Edoga at RT (where he looked better last year) and with him having a full year of experience, that should help.  Serviceable is the correct word.  He had an up and down rookie year and then got hurt.  The Jets were plugging him in at both LT and RT, not easy for a middle round rookie.  I'd try to "shrink the playbook" for him, focus him exclusively at RT and hope he can be a better version of Brandon Shell.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

It would be a shame if douglas traded back and filled the roster with the 5th best OT, the 12th best wr and the 16th best wr when he could stay at 11 and get the best wr and the 7th or 8th best OT.  

I'd choose to switch the order from how you see it

3rd best OT & 5th or 6th best WR

---

It all comes down to JD's evaluation.  Most of us (I believe yourself included) are willing to give JD the benefit of the doubt on how he values the players & positions until proven otherwise. 

If he believes the 3rd best OT is franchise LT material, I want him to take the LT scenario  over the best WR scenario.

---

Whether trading up to get the last franchise LT in his mind, staying at 11 to get the last franchise LT, staying at 11 to get his #1 WR, or trading down to get the 5th best OT and the 5th best WR ... I will accept his choice.

worst case scenario IMO, would be him not adjusting our pick position to maximize his value at LT and staying put to maximize his value at WR.  just my opinion, I'm onboard with any of these scenarios though.  If he goes somewhere other than these (OLB, CB, etc) I think I will lose my $h*t!

14 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t think we should give up on Williams.  Yes I know he didn’t have a monster rookie year but he wasn’t bad either.  I do think injuries played a part in it.  The kid is still very talented.  

Would have never drafted him. He was totally nullified vs. Clemson in bowl game.  They should have drafted Josh Allen who I was hoping Macc would take. But of course, I wasn't surprised when he took QW.  Just another embarrassing chapter by our inept GM.  JD should clean house from the stench Macc left behind.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I definitely like the idea of buying draft picks, this would be a similar situation. If we could move Quinnen for #16 then I'd do it. I just think it's unrealistic for us to take on another $9m in cap charges to lose a player (at least for now)

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Regardless of the round, the Jets need to trade down once or twice during this draft to add picks.  Eight isn't enough.

You aren't filling every hole with this draft no matter what. The jets need quality players to contribute this year, not a bunch of projects who get cut later on. It would be nice if the Jets demonstrate the ability to trade down and acquire quality players later on in the draft, but until they show they can consistently you don't never go full Idzik...

tropic thunder and almost breaks character completely GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Oh the agony...

Can't wait!!!

Don't get too excited for the draft to get here.

Once the draft is gone, we've probably got about 2-3 months of absolutely no sports.

At least we have the draft to talk about now.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Would have never drafted him. He was totally nullified vs. Clemson in bowl game.  They should have drafted Josh Allen who I was hoping Macc would take. But of course, I wasn't surprised when he took QW.  Just another embarrassing chapter by our inept GM.  JD should clean house from the stench Macc left behind.  

Well it doesn’t seem likely to happen.  I personally wanted Allen but I wasn’t  pissed about Williams.  I think he will be a very good player for us.  Last year just was one of those years where not much went right.  Anyway let’s give the kid a chance 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Perhaps.  But a good gm doesn’t take an OT who is rated much lower than a wr, just b/c they need an OT.  When the jets pick comes up at 11, i would wager that the highest rated players on their board will be the wrs. 

I agree with you on that, but I also think because there are so many WRs in this draft, if a team wants to move up and JDs board lines up with who's left and the pick (i.e. Atlantas #16) and we get more than a #2, he'll be moving back. Falcons are so close to the Cap I could see them going for Quality not quantity in this draft. Talk about a team running out of time for another Super Bowl run. We could see Avery Williamson involved in a trade with Atlanta also because at 6.5 he's actually cheap for veteran starter. 

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Well it doesn’t seem likely to happen.  I personally wanted Allen but I wasn’t  pissed about Williams.  I think he will be a very good player for us.  Last year just was one of those years where not much went right.  Anyway let’s give the kid a chance 

Yeah but we'll have at least 2-3 month to talk about which of the picks we hate the most, and endless Fire Douglas Now threads

EDIT

LOL, sorry I quoted the wrong post

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Well it doesn’t seem likely to happen.  I personally wanted Allen but I’m pissed about Williams.  I think he will be a dirty good player for us.  Last year just was one of those years where not much went right.  Anyway let’s give the kid a chance 

If QW thought Nick Saban was tough wait until this 2020 season with GW. There is NO DOUBT in my mind GW told this kid to hit the weight room, study film & show up in the best shape of his life. 

If we hear about QW being out of shape, failing a physical or doing a lot of running or riding the bike on the sideline, he's on his way to bustville. I don't think he's that kind of kid, but you just never know now that he played only 1 year of college & he's got millions banked. 

• Upvote 2

Almost every year i look forward to the draft and spend a lot of time on the draft, almost every year the jets disappoint. 

Worse yet mccagnan was an expert at taking players in my "DO NOT WANT" list of players pre draft.

Even in the years we have had good drafts the GMs still do something stupid somewhere in the draft.

For once I would like to legit give the Jets an A grade.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If QW thought Nick Saban was tough wait until this 2020 season with GW. There is NO DOUBT in my mind GW told this kid to hit the weight room, study film & show up in the best shape of his life. 

If we hear about QW being out of shape, failing a physical or doing a lot of running or riding the bike on the sideline, he's on his way to bustville. I don't think he's that kind of kid, but you just never know now that he played only 1 year of college & he's got millions banked. 

Absolutely.  Look maybe I’m wrong but I certainly hope I’m not lol.  Look I admit he didn’t have the impactful rookie year we wanted him to have but that doesn’t mean he is a bust.  Some was him and some was injuries.  Like I said I did wasn’t Allen but I do have faith in this kid.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Absolutely.  Look maybe I’m wrong but I certainly hope I’m not lol.  Look I admit he didn’t have the impactful rookie year we wanted him to have but that doesn’t mean he is a bust.  Some was him and some was injuries.  Like I said I did wasn’t Allen but I do have faith in this kid.  

He is really young, he did only play 1 year of college & even Bill Parcells hated rookies because they have so much to learn in the NFL. Jet fans are impatient because let's face it, we've picked nothing but busts for a long time now until we picked Adams & Darnold. 

Something tells me Joe Douglas is different. We'll see. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He is really young, he did only play 1 year of college & even Bill Parcells hated rookies because they have so much to learn in the NFL. Jet fans are impatient because let's face it, we've picked nothing but busts for a long time now until we picked Adams & Darnold. 

Something tells me Joe Douglas is different. We'll see. 

Very True 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

At 16 I thought Ruggs was the right value pick. A trade back into the tail end of R1 or beginning of R2 would have probably been ideal. Here's the o-linemen that went between 16 & 48.

26: Autin Jackson - OT - USC
33: Cesar Ruiz - C - Michigan
34: Ezra Cleveland - OT - Boise State
38: Isaiah Wilson - OT - Georgia 
42: Josh Jones - OT - Houston
46: Lucas Niang - OT - TCU

At 48 - again - I thought Pittman was the right value pick. The only o-lineman taken between 48 & 68 was the center from Temple at 56.

btw - here's the link if you want to tinker around w/it

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

ezgif-3-66516b18fcec.gif

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Draft point charts are laughable, at best they're a poor man's tool for roughly gauging value. There are a variety of variables which must be considered as opposed to simply adding and subtracting chart values. Plus, the person who made the chart (there isn't just one value chart) could have been cognitively challenged as many in the world of sports are.

It was a thing 1 guy devised for 1 draft 25 years ago, and people retreat it like the drafting bible.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trade down to 16. Then trade back up into the bottom of the 1st round, ending up with picks 16 and about 30.

Boom, now we have 2 young, talented players under team control for 5 years.

Been saying this for a while, Douglas has connections with both the Eagles and Ravens. Would not shock me to see them move down to #21 to add picks then move up to #28 using some of their capital to add another player.

#11 - Becton - #28 - Mims/Jefferson

#11 - Lamb - #28 - Cleveland/Jackson

#21 - Jones - #28 Jefferson/Mims

I'd be pretty happy with any situation that nets us LT and WR under control for 5 years.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

What at duck hunting?

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Been saying this for a while, Douglas has connections with both the Eagles and Ravens. Would not shock me to see them move down to #21 to add picks then move up to #28 using some of their capital to add another player.

#11 - Becton - #28 - Mims/Jefferson

#11 - Lamb - #28 - Cleveland/Jackson

#21 - Jones - #28 Jefferson/Mims

I'd be pretty happy with any situation that nets us LT and WR under control for 5 years.

Becton Mills wow ? 

3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Nah. That puts us in no mans land. Rather stay put. 

I'm in the same camp as you are. You're tempting fate and quality if you trade down. My line of thinking from the beginning is to take the best available OT at 11 unless Jeudy falls to us. Then I run to the podium.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the jets really do trade back to 16 they must be very high on josh jones.  I don’t think they would pass up ruggs, jeudy or lamb to take Jefferson and get an extra 3rd plus.  Maybe for a 2nd, but also don’t see Atlanta giving up a 2.  

Conversely, they could be really high on Jefferson and see any of the top three WRs dropping as a bonus. 

But I do think the tackles are the focus.