So the deepest WR class in Memory and WE only take 1??

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly I’m not too worried about WR right now. First off we upgraded our O line tremendously so right off the bat that helps out Sam and all the other weapons. Secondly I think Mims will be really good. Third I think Bell has a much bigger role in this offense then he did last year.

Bell

Perriman

Mims

Crowder

Herdon

Griffin

Doctson

Smith

Berrios

Perine 

Gase has more than enough to work with here from a weapons standpoint to get this offense in high gear. And if Sam takes that next step like he should sky is the limit 

Agreed. Herndon is vastly underrated by many on this board. 

But even with all these weapons, the Jets failure to draft a second WR in the first 4 rounds was a big mistake. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

But even with all these weapons, the Jets failure to draft a second WR in the first 4 rounds was a big mistake. 

I don’t think this was a 2014 situation. Receivers flew off the board in this draft. By round 3 the cupboard was bare. 

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Good Point.  Other than Mins the other guys I wanted were gone early.  How did you like our draft overall?

Loved it as I stated in my post yesterday. The Morgan signing was a bit of a head scratcher but he is highly rated on lot of boards and it could be like buying low and selling high on stock.  Other than him and the Punter, who I am being told is elite, every other pick was solid.  Loved the Becton pick; Jonathan Ogden type potential.   The trade down from 48 was the stuff of genius and we may be talking about that move for years to come if everything pans out.  Still can't believe we got Mims at 59....   In fact this draft may go down as the one that put us on the road to becoming a Superbowl Contender.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't know about the first 4 rounds.  There was still quality talent into the 7th round.  At least we signed Lawrence Cager who at 6'5 220, hopefully replaces DT has our "big" receiver.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

I don’t think this was a 2014 situation. Receivers flew off the board in this draft. By round 3 the cupboard was bare. 

Umm, no it wasn't.  Not sure what players you are thinking about but there were plenty of players still on the board that many posters here liked a lot  in 4th - 7th round.  DPJ, AGG, Quez Watkins, Isiah Hodgins,  to name a few.  

It’s clear douglas went for immediate returns.  A 2nd wr would be merely depth and wouldn’t see much if any game action unless there were injuries.  Davis, Zuniga, they’re playing right away unless they fall on their face.  Clark will probably be active as a backup guard.  Punter plays.  Hall plays if healthy.  So i think douglas wanted to make as much of a splash across the board rather than stockpile depth at the wr position.  Plus i imagine we’ll add a veteran in training camp.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

They were flying off the board for 6 rounds because there were many really good WR prospects littered throughout this draft. 

If Sims is the real deal, Perriman is the player from the end of last year, Herndon emerges, Bell returns to form and Crowder stays the same then no one will care. 

39 minutes ago, Barton said:

Jesus Christ help us if Douglas thinks Perriman is going to be a stud WR. Honestly.

Some of the comments in this thread crack me up. Berrios? Vincynt Smith? These guys are dime a dozen fringe roster players.

Guys, right now Darnold is gonna drop back with a rookie LT, a reject RT from the seahawks, and he's gonna scan the field looking for a receiver to get open, with Crowder being THE ONLY proven NFL receiver on this roster who can get open consistently. 

The current WR corps is so bad/unproven, it's comical. The Oline might not be much better either.

Every draft pick is unproven in the NFL

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JetFan20 said:

100 percent agree

Look what Mayfield has around him

Look what Josh Allen has around him 

Look what Drew Lock has around him 

Even Daniel Jones 

The Jets have Jamison Crowder (mediocre slot WR) and a bunch of question marks.

Well if you aren't counting perriman and Mims than you could have spewed the exact same post after Douglas took 3WRs this draft. 

I wanted another WR also but your post indicates that Mims doesn't count so neither would guys Douglas would have taken in the 3-4 rounds.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Well if you aren't counting perriman and Mims than you can could have spewed the exact same post after Douglas took 3WRs this draft. 

I wanted another WR also but your post indicates that Mims doesn't count so neither would guys Douglas would have taken in the 3-4 rounds.

Perriman is a scrub and Mims is a question mark 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

JD decided to draft a little bit of everything, which I'm not a fan of.  However, I hope his strategy pans out. Mims needs to be a success.

Not supporting every pick but at the end of the day you need balance, otherwise we end up in the same place we are now.

There are going to be good players released going foward.

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Do you believe Mims will be better than Claypool?  The one thing that bothers me the most, Claypool is expected to be a NFL starter from day one, Mims on the other hand needs to learn how to run a route.  We have a franchise QB going into his third season - didn't we need the immediate impact guy?

Absolutely not true. I know Mims is a Baylor WR but he’s also one of the smartest WR’s in this class, a former QB who understands how to play the position. Go back and watch the senior bowl if you haven’t already and you’ll see that Mims is a well rounded receiver and not just a tall guy that can run fast

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I could care less that JD only selected one WR as long as he can pick players that can play instead of needs that cant

For once I actually enjoyed the drama created by a GM that moves within the draft and was willing to look a bit unorthodox on some picks who he believed were good football players. it would have been easier for him to stay safe and pick Mims at 48 but loved the brass balls attack to trade down. Unlike previous  GM's he doesn't appear afraid to not stay safe. Refreshing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Dude seriously, we had 6 day two picks we could have very easily taken another receiver.  I mean did we really need to draft a punter???  It's my main gripe, but it's water under the bridge at this point.  

Yes, we had plenty of picks and plenty of WR talent on the board each time.  Clearly JD didn't grade a lot of those Rd 3-6 candidates as highly as a lot of people here/experts did.  

It just comes down to whether you think JD "knows better".  The way he masterfully orchestrated the trade down to get Mims at 59, through the tears of all the JN posters here, I'm confident he might, in fact, know better.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I love Mims but this really isn't about him.   The trade down was a thing of beauty.   I know everybody likes to Clown the Raiders but you have to say they took full advantage of this wr crop, taking Ruggs III, Lynn Boden and Bryan Edwards.    If I recall, they already had a pretty decent receiving group...   Oh well on to UDFAs

I am confident 2/3 of the receivers the Raiders took will be massive disappointments.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

For me the better argument is I didn't think our current punter was that bad, but I guess the FO felt differently . . .

With Lac a free agent, the Mann pick directly saves us money.

And Mann appears be a significant upgrade.  Significant enough to justify using a 6th rather than waiting until the 7th round/UDFA.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, we had plenty of picks and plenty of WR talent on the board each time.  Clearly JD didn't grade a lot of those Rd 3-6 candidates as highly as a lot of people here/experts did.  

It just comes down to whether you think JD "knows better".  The way he masterfully orchestrated the trade down to get Mims at 59, through the tears of all the JN posters here, I'm confident he might, in fact, know better.

You also have to believe that if Gase thought the offense needed more of an upgrade at WR he could have gotten the guy he pretty much hired to draft another one.

Either way, I still think they should have taken another WR but I'm over it and very happy with the draft as a whole.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Crowder

Mims

Perriman

Enunwa

Doctson

Berrios

+

Herndon

What the hell else do you need?

Perriman picking up where he left off in Tompa and Herndon not having lost his edge with the year off are huge difference makers...

Dude seriously, we had 6 day two picks we could have very easily taken another receiver.  I mean did we really need to draft a punter???  It's my main gripe, but it's water under the bridge at this point.  

And those receivers can’t beat press coverage. We don’t need special teams fodder

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app