In lighter news, the Giants coach is a massive a$$hole and the Giants are doomed

10 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

Once listened to an ex-‘fins player interview down here in Miami. He mentioned an incident where Marino and random back up player violated curfew or arrived late to a meeting. He said that Shula was not absolutely going to cut Marino, but the back up was immediately cut the morning of.

Two classes of players, like staff in any enterprise, the invaluable ones and ones that can be sacrificed at whim or to make a point.

There is also a story Jimmy Johnson tells  about his forst day asthe Dallas Coach. Life isn't  fair and neither am I. Don't  expect equal treatment. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Joe Judge continues taking charge Bill Belichick style as first Giants roster takes shape

New York Daily News

Apr 27, 2020 | 8:00 AM 

Joe Judge laid down the law Bill Belichick-style with first-round pick Andrew Thomas. And second-round Alabama safety Xavier McKinney was next.

Judge’s phone call welcoming McKinney to the Giants on Friday included this exchange, courtesy again of ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio:

“When you talk to the media, you’ve already been through this with Coach [Nick] Saban,” Judge told McKinney. “No predictions, no comparisons, be grateful for the opportunity, alright? I don’t want to hear anything about Super Bowls or any of that crap, you got that?”

McKinney gave the answer Judge was looking for: “Yes sir.”

If this tough talk brushes you back a bit, well, that is the point.

Just like it was the point when Judge told his No. 4 overall pick Thomas, per Paolantonio:

“When you talk to the media, I don’t want to hear anything about Super Bowls. I don’t want to hear any predictions or comparisons. You talk about coming up here, getting to work, putting your head down and improving. That’s all you have to worry about.”

This is a small glance behind the scenes of what the Giants are going to be under Judge, but it is a meaningful one. And what they will be, in no uncertain terms, is Judge’s team.

Alabama defensive back Xavier McKinney was welcomed to the Giants by new head coach Joe Judge with a stern message.

Alabama defensive back Xavier McKinney was welcomed to the Giants by new head coach Joe Judge with a stern message.(Sam Craft/AP)

The Daily News asked Judge point blank in a post-draft Zoom call about his stern introductions to his rookies, and Judge said the players he’s picking and the manner in which he’s handling them can be boiled down to one goal:

“I don’t want 53 independent contractors,” he said. “I want one team.”

Put that on a sign and hang it in your man cave, Giants fans. Because that encapsulates what Judge is trying to build and the team you will be rooting for as long he is your head coach.

It will be one thing to utter a catchy mantra, though, and another to be a player facing Judge’s early ultimatum on how this must goes if they will be employed as Giants for long.

Judge certainly left no gray area in explaining why he’s not being warm and fuzzy.

“I think there’s more said on the phone calls than just what not to do. There’s a lot of we’re very excited about adding these players and giving them a chance to come up and compete and add to our team,” he said. “But.”

“To be honest with you, look: I’m not big into predictions,” Judge said. “I’m not big into that. I’m not big into comparing people to other people. One thing that drives me nuts is when sometimes guys get drafted, the emotion gets caught up, and they stand on the stage a lot of times and what do they say? They start talking about how they’re going to take over the league. OK look, this is a guy who hasn’t been in the league for five seconds. What do they know about taking over the league, OK? What they have to worry about at this point is improving. Put your head down, just work hard.

Judge wasn’t finished, and he wouldn’t be for a while.

Giants new head coach Joe Judge has been frank with his new players.

Giants new head coach Joe Judge has been frank with his new players.(Frank Franklin II/AP)

“Hey, here’s the reality of every one of these rookies we just took: they don’t know how to be a pro yet. They don’t,” Judge said. “As much as they may think they do, they don’t. Physically, they have an advantage over a lot of vets because they have young legs. But in terms of technique, in terms of mentally how to prepare themselves and handle the situations, in terms of emotionally how to handle the duration of the season, they have no idea what they’re doing yet. So, they’re behind in everything except for having fresh, young legs with everyone they are competing against. They watch it on TV, they think they have an understanding of what’s going on in the league. The reality is they don’t. And the faster they understand that, the better off they’ll be in the short term to improve and give themselves a chance to compete.”

Judge continued, and it is important everyone sees his full answer, because this is as close a look as we all will get at how Judge is speaking to his players when we are not watching.

“So look, everyone gets excited,” Judge said. “When you get excited, you let emotion get the best of you. A lot of times you say things, you turn around afterwards and go, ‘Maybe that wasn’t the best thing to say.’ Well, sometimes you don’t want to have those slips when you’ve got millions of people and it’s forever engrained anyway in print and social media, whatever it may be. You want to make sure that sometimes you wish that someone gave you a little bit of guidance.

“So sometimes it’s good to just get reminded at a certain time that, ‘Hey listen, this is your focus, this is what we’re building, this is what our culture here is going to be, let’s just make sure you say the right thing at the right time,’ Judge added. “Number one, not to make yourself have any expectations you now have to meet, because it’s going to be tough enough for you to go ahead and get in the rhythm of you being a pro as it is. And then number two, don’t ever — ya know — the whole comparisons and predictions, like, just work out what you can control. And right now what you can control is showing up, doing your job day-by-day and improving, and that’s it.”

Phew. Need a glass of water? I do. I’m sure some Giants’ players will after some of these meetings, too.

And be assured: A major story during Judge’s first season is going to be about the players who do not accept this style of coaching and who do not remain major factors — or Giants at all — because of it.

Stars like Saquon Barkley are going to need to get comfortable being treated like the 53rd man on the roster. Players with poor rookie ethics like DeAndre Baker are going to need to wake up. Underperformers like Lorenzo Carter are going to have to shape up.

People will have to be at meetings on time. There will be consequences if they are not.

The Giants existing roster is going to have to get used to their new head coach's style of leadership.

The Giants existing roster is going to have to get used to their new head coach's style of leadership.(Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)

When Judge was asked how he thought these rookies were handling themselves so far, in fact, he made clear he was reading or watching their interviews when he could to make sure they weren’t straying.

“I’ve only seen a couple of the actual quotes or interviews. I’ve gone back and looked at a couple of them that (senior VP of communications) Pat Hanlon sent my way,” he said. “But you know what? I’m very pleased. I’ll say this, I’m not surprised because we spent a lot of time with these guys on the front end. We spent a lot of time on the character, on the traits, on the personality.

“Look,” the coach said. “We’re not collecting talent, we’re building a team … There’s a lot of good players out there. There’s not a lot of right fits. And you want to find the right fits to bring into your locker room. So it’s important to spend as much time with these guys as people on the front end to make sure that you’re building a culture in your locker room.”

These are the new Giants. This is the new Giants head coach. There is a new sheriff, or rather, a new Judge in town.

Same media that portrays Eric Mangini, Bill O'Brien, Greg Schiano and Josh Mcdaniel as square obnoxious douchebags is celebrating this guy. So we are to believe if LT showed up at practice drunk off his ass and cuffed in a police car with nickel bags falling out of his pockets, Judge would start some free agent the next Sunday over him. SURE! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He also doesn't know how to be a pro, either, because his playing career ended at Mississippi State.  And he was a QB who didn't play a single snap there, from what I could find.

Need to understand that if these guys got far enough to make an NFL squad, even if there are a few knuckleheads, they are motivated and prepared. They aren;t squid, and this isn't a varsity tryout at a prep school. Heck, if you coach little league, you expect more for your centerfielder and star pitcher, but might have a different way of dealing with your crappy righfielder. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Being a disciplinarian isn't  a bad thing for a HC. I heard Fin players were scared to death of Shula. 

well, there's fear and respect.  sometimes they aren't the same thing.  if the players play in fear they're liable to not take many chances.  i don't know if this judge guy will work out for the giaints.  they were short changed by mcadoodoo and shurmer.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:29 AM, Dcat said:

I kind of like it. 

Bellichick tried it in Cleveland. Failed miserably.

Countless apprentices have taken the same approach and failed miserably. One failed right here a few years back. 

But hey, it makes for good sound bites that sucker fans into thinking it means something. 

• Upvote 1

You guys that "like this" need to understand that players, ESPECIALLY veterans, are going to look at you like you're an absolute clown if there are not immediate results.  That's why the BB copycat act never works.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bellichick tried it in Cleveland. Failed miserably.

Countless apprentices have taken the same approach and failed miserably. One failed right here a few years back. 

But hey, it makes for good sound bites that sucker fans into thinking it means something. 

You don't understand why I like it, do you?

On 4/27/2020 at 10:24 AM, T0mShane said:

Joe Judge continues taking charge Bill Belichick style as first Giants roster takes shape

New York Daily News

Apr 27, 2020 | 8:00 AM 

Joe Judge laid down the law Bill Belichick-style with first-round pick Andrew Thomas. And second-round Alabama safety Xavier McKinney was next.

Judge’s phone call welcoming McKinney to the Giants on Friday included this exchange, courtesy again of ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio:

“When you talk to the media, you’ve already been through this with Coach [Nick] Saban,” Judge told McKinney. “No predictions, no comparisons, be grateful for the opportunity, alright? I don’t want to hear anything about Super Bowls or any of that crap, you got that?”

McKinney gave the answer Judge was looking for: “Yes sir.”

If this tough talk brushes you back a bit, well, that is the point.

Just like it was the point when Judge told his No. 4 overall pick Thomas, per Paolantonio:

“When you talk to the media, I don’t want to hear anything about Super Bowls. I don’t want to hear any predictions or comparisons. You talk about coming up here, getting to work, putting your head down and improving. That’s all you have to worry about.”

This is a small glance behind the scenes of what the Giants are going to be under Judge, but it is a meaningful one. And what they will be, in no uncertain terms, is Judge’s team.

Alabama defensive back Xavier McKinney was welcomed to the Giants by new head coach Joe Judge with a stern message.

Alabama defensive back Xavier McKinney was welcomed to the Giants by new head coach Joe Judge with a stern message.(Sam Craft/AP)

The Daily News asked Judge point blank in a post-draft Zoom call about his stern introductions to his rookies, and Judge said the players he’s picking and the manner in which he’s handling them can be boiled down to one goal:

“I don’t want 53 independent contractors,” he said. “I want one team.”

Put that on a sign and hang it in your man cave, Giants fans. Because that encapsulates what Judge is trying to build and the team you will be rooting for as long he is your head coach.

It will be one thing to utter a catchy mantra, though, and another to be a player facing Judge’s early ultimatum on how this must goes if they will be employed as Giants for long.

Judge certainly left no gray area in explaining why he’s not being warm and fuzzy.

“I think there’s more said on the phone calls than just what not to do. There’s a lot of we’re very excited about adding these players and giving them a chance to come up and compete and add to our team,” he said. “But.”

“To be honest with you, look: I’m not big into predictions,” Judge said. “I’m not big into that. I’m not big into comparing people to other people. One thing that drives me nuts is when sometimes guys get drafted, the emotion gets caught up, and they stand on the stage a lot of times and what do they say? They start talking about how they’re going to take over the league. OK look, this is a guy who hasn’t been in the league for five seconds. What do they know about taking over the league, OK? What they have to worry about at this point is improving. Put your head down, just work hard.

Judge wasn’t finished, and he wouldn’t be for a while.

Giants new head coach Joe Judge has been frank with his new players.

Giants new head coach Joe Judge has been frank with his new players.(Frank Franklin II/AP)

“Hey, here’s the reality of every one of these rookies we just took: they don’t know how to be a pro yet. They don’t,” Judge said. “As much as they may think they do, they don’t. Physically, they have an advantage over a lot of vets because they have young legs. But in terms of technique, in terms of mentally how to prepare themselves and handle the situations, in terms of emotionally how to handle the duration of the season, they have no idea what they’re doing yet. So, they’re behind in everything except for having fresh, young legs with everyone they are competing against. They watch it on TV, they think they have an understanding of what’s going on in the league. The reality is they don’t. And the faster they understand that, the better off they’ll be in the short term to improve and give themselves a chance to compete.”

Judge continued, and it is important everyone sees his full answer, because this is as close a look as we all will get at how Judge is speaking to his players when we are not watching.

“So look, everyone gets excited,” Judge said. “When you get excited, you let emotion get the best of you. A lot of times you say things, you turn around afterwards and go, ‘Maybe that wasn’t the best thing to say.’ Well, sometimes you don’t want to have those slips when you’ve got millions of people and it’s forever engrained anyway in print and social media, whatever it may be. You want to make sure that sometimes you wish that someone gave you a little bit of guidance.

“So sometimes it’s good to just get reminded at a certain time that, ‘Hey listen, this is your focus, this is what we’re building, this is what our culture here is going to be, let’s just make sure you say the right thing at the right time,’ Judge added. “Number one, not to make yourself have any expectations you now have to meet, because it’s going to be tough enough for you to go ahead and get in the rhythm of you being a pro as it is. And then number two, don’t ever — ya know — the whole comparisons and predictions, like, just work out what you can control. And right now what you can control is showing up, doing your job day-by-day and improving, and that’s it.”

Phew. Need a glass of water? I do. I’m sure some Giants’ players will after some of these meetings, too.

And be assured: A major story during Judge’s first season is going to be about the players who do not accept this style of coaching and who do not remain major factors — or Giants at all — because of it.

Stars like Saquon Barkley are going to need to get comfortable being treated like the 53rd man on the roster. Players with poor rookie ethics like DeAndre Baker are going to need to wake up. Underperformers like Lorenzo Carter are going to have to shape up.

People will have to be at meetings on time. There will be consequences if they are not.

The Giants existing roster is going to have to get used to their new head coach's style of leadership.

The Giants existing roster is going to have to get used to their new head coach's style of leadership.(Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)

When Judge was asked how he thought these rookies were handling themselves so far, in fact, he made clear he was reading or watching their interviews when he could to make sure they weren’t straying.

“I’ve only seen a couple of the actual quotes or interviews. I’ve gone back and looked at a couple of them that (senior VP of communications) Pat Hanlon sent my way,” he said. “But you know what? I’m very pleased. I’ll say this, I’m not surprised because we spent a lot of time with these guys on the front end. We spent a lot of time on the character, on the traits, on the personality.

“Look,” the coach said. “We’re not collecting talent, we’re building a team … There’s a lot of good players out there. There’s not a lot of right fits. And you want to find the right fits to bring into your locker room. So it’s important to spend as much time with these guys as people on the front end to make sure that you’re building a culture in your locker room.”

These are the new Giants. This is the new Giants head coach. There is a new sheriff, or rather, a new Judge in town.

Joe is a Marine type of guy.

His TC will be like this...

Download video

On 4/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, Xtina said:

It looked that way when gettleman took over but now it looks like after Mara trying to drag Eli ‘s tenure into infinity, Dave has freed himself from maras orders and is doing his own thing  

last year’s very suspect pick is starting to look like it will pay off and this year’s draft was very serviceable  

it looks like that ship is being righted. Unfortunately  

let joe judge be the mouthpiece . That’s part of a coach’s role. Doesn’t sound like any other media training. Much ado about nothing 

Shhhhh… You're being too sensible here.

That's going to get a lot of beer bellied guys here who never played a sport beyond Little League upset if you keep posting stuff like this that doesn't follow their narrative.

They're trying to teach us in this thread how a HC should run his team. Let's sit back and learn from them.... ? 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2020 at 4:07 PM, Bugg said:

Need to understand that if these guys got far enough to make an NFL squad, even if there are a few knuckleheads, they are motivated and prepared. They aren;t squid, and this isn't a varsity tryout at a prep school. Heck, if you coach little league, you expect more for your centerfielder and star pitcher, but might have a different way of dealing with your crappy righfielder. 

Sure, but save the super rare guys like LT where you'll obviously put up with the nonsense.... What Belichick basically realized was the pipeline of talent coming into the league every season and players available via FA was enough to compensate for maybe more talented tough to coach or buy in type of players who he viewed as expendable. A system that incorporates "buy-in" and team over everything is a big reason why the Pats have dominated the league for 20 years. The Seahawks and Eagles got their SB (and sh*t, one for the Jets would be more than enough)...but they're not building any sort of dynasty either. The quarterback is obviously the biggest part, but you're not building a sustainable contender by just bringing in talented headaches.

I get where Judge is coming from but stuff like this would be more tolerable if it wasn’t coming from a rookie HC. Biggest night of most of these kids lives up to this point, situation is already weird as it is with the virtual draft, and then in that moment, after all that work they put in to get there, they’re told to shut their mouths because they haven’t actually accomplished anything.

It comes off as tone deaf and hypocritical coming from a HC who is himself a rookie who also hasn’t proven anything. Doubly so when that rookie HC then offers the media a long winded diatribe about how the players should keep their mouths shut. Practice what you preach maybe?

On 4/27/2020 at 7:43 AM, T0mShane said:

Has a definite PJ Carlesimo vibe to it. A ******* special teams coach, at that. 

The guy is a f**kin d bag....the Belichick schtik only seems to work when you have a QB who not only is filled with HGH and who knows what else, that allows him to throw a football 20 yards farther at 40 years of age than at 20, but most importantly said QB STILL has the SAME massive chip on his shoulder today that he had 20 years prior....so 2 d bags...joined at the hip...HC and QB.

I can't see this guy being able to "think on his feet" when things aren't going well.  Looks like a finger pointer and blame caster...and I know "people who live in glass houses" haha...hoping our guy ups his coaching to the next level when his young potential Franchise QB has more than 1.9 seconds to throw for the first time in his pro career.  I know there is no comparison between USC and the NFL but when Darnold had ANY kind of time he absolutely tore things up.

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2020 at 3:15 PM, More Cowbell said:

There is also a story Jimmy Johnson tells  about his forst day asthe Dallas Coach. Life isn't  fair and neither am I. Don't  expect equal treatment. 

"You will all be treated fairly but will not all be treated the same".

Best Parcells' quote ever.

This stuff always amazes me.  I understand discipline and wanting to block out the noise etc but in all truthfulness who the F is Joe Judge?  You gain the players respect through understanding Xs and Os so that you put them in position to win and make more money.  An attitude like this is going to blow up in Judge's face just like it did with McDaniels and at least he understands offense.

Judge should work hard, treat the players with respect, (there can be discipline in the building but not disrespect) and see if they win some games before he tries to be BB.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RSJ said:

I mean it also worked out for Coughlin. But at the end of the day you still need to coach well. Regardless of style.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Actually no it didnt.

Coughlin was a good as gone from the Giants before he lightened up and that is well documented.  Then he went to Jacksonville and look at the mess there with the players tweeting at the owner, demanding trades etc .

There has to be a balance when dealing with pro athletes.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RSJ said:

I mean it also worked out for Coughlin. But at the end of the day you still need to coach well. Regardless of style.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Coughlin was a peer of Belichick they both came up as assistants to Parcells in the 80’s

These younger guys who think they are Belichick reek of Justin Bieber acting like he’s Michael Jackson but better

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Friend of mine who is a huge Giants fan didn''t laugh at me when I said that, "The Jets will be flying past you guys the.next few seasons."  That's never happened before. ?

Which is wierd considering giants fans’ cockiness and the fact that Jones had a good rookie year

But their defense is still horrific.  Shoulda drafted Simmons

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Which is wierd considering giants fans’ cockiness and the fact that Jones had a good rookie year

But their defense is still horrific.  Shoulda drafted Simmons

He's trying to lure me into a false sense of security.  And I'm not falling for it.  (winks) 

30 minutes ago, BCJet said:

"You will all be treated fairly but will not all be treated the same".

Best Parcells' quote ever.

This stuff always amazes me.  I understand discipline and wanting to block out the noise etc but in all truthfulness who the F is Joe Judge?  You gain the players respect through understanding Xs and Os so that you put them in position to win and make more money.  An attitude like this is going to blow up in Judge's face just like it did with McDaniels and at least he understands offense.

Judge should work hard, treat the players with respect, (there can be discipline in the building but not disrespect) and see if they win some games before he tries to be BB.

Well, he is pulling this on rookies. If he comes at a long time vet with this stuff, it could be interesting 

On 4/27/2020 at 10:29 AM, Dcat said:

I kind of like it. 

21 year olds who’ve spent most of their lives working towards this moment (getting drafted into the NFL).  Let them say whatever they want, give me a break. These kids ain’t getting on TV with pom poms.

Joe Judges overreaction to what these kids shouldn’t say is so silly. But go with that Joe. Try and be fake BB. That works out for some many of his former coaches. 

• Upvote 1